Map Size: S
Levels: 3
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: No
Multiplayer Online?: No
# of Wizards: 2
# of players: 1
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: No
I am including three versions of the map in this one download. As well as the Standard version there is a Lite version for less experienced players, and a Hellspawn version for players who want something a little more challenging.

To play this map you need to have Upatch 1.4 and BNW3.2 (Brave New World mod) installed, and you need to have selected BNW3.2 in AoWSMSetup. Please note that the start of this map can be a bit challenging, so it's probably best if you don't split your Wizard stack for the first few days. Also please remember that you are very unpopular in this shire, so when you approach a town a lot of the residents might unexpectedly attack you!

It's a single player map with you playing Dark Elves against an Arabian opponent. It's not possible to make peace with your enemy, even if both you and the enemy want it, and I would also respectfully suggest that you turn Surrender off in Advanced Options before starting the game.

PLEASE LOOK AFTER YOUR HEROES, YOU ONLY HAVE FOUR AVAILABLE IN THIS MAP, AND LEVELLING HEROES UP IS VITAL FOR SUCCESS IN BNW!

Don't be fooled by the fact that this map is small, as there is a lot of gameplay packed into a small area. This is an updated version of my previous map of the same name, but this one is only playable in BNW3.2 (sorry guys). I've listened to the constructive criticisms that people made when they reviewed my original map at aow2.heavengames.com, and I've tried to make it much easier to work out how to complete the map. ALL AREAS OF THE MAP ARE ACCESSIBLE, as they were in the original map, so if you can see it there will be a way of reaching it. If you are really struggling, please read the SPOILER section underneath the story below.

Thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to review the original map, and hopefully one or two of you will post comments or reviews of this one too. Also many thanks for a lot of constructive advice and help whilst playtesting the Hellspawn version from Merkraad, Kirky Picardo and Munataros. Here's the story:

Robin Bars-Tird was not a popular leader, and was widely reputed to be a very cruel man. He was feared within his presidential palace, and not just by his senior ministers. Various young serving wenches from respectable family backgrounds had unexpectedly fallen pregnant, and been paid to keep quiet about who the father was. The Archons were so concerned about his unholy conduct that they had set up two missionary encampments nearby. Male members of staff that ended up on the wrong side of Sir Robin's vicious temper also had a habit of mysteriously disappearing. The Ancient Order of Dryads refused to have anything to do with him after he desecrated Stonehenge by using the stones to rebuild his brewery, and the Royal Guards (and therefore by implication a lot of other Arabians, too) became his sworn enemies after some undiplomatic comments about "tall skinny retards in turquoise romper suits".

In fact it had become so difficult to recruit domestic staff from the local community that his secretary of state, Lord Lucan, had finally resorted to desperate measures. He had arranged a meeting with the local wizard, Heineken, to discuss whether he could be of any assistance to Sir Robin. Now it should be made clear here that Heineken had no great desire to be of assistance, and to be perfectly frank was extremely sceptical. Sir Robin had made no great secret in the past of his disdain for magic, and his lack of respect for those that practised such arcane arts. There was only one way to rule, according to Robin Bars-Tird, and that was by the sword. However, Lord Lucan did appear to be offering some excellent financial incentives for Heineken to become involved, clearly believing that Heineken could reach the parts that other wizards couldn't reach.

Eventually they came up with a solution that appeared to be mutually beneficial. The presidential palace would be completely staffed by magic servants. The monthly wages bill - a significant amount of gold - would be paid directly to Heineken, and as the magic servants did not receive wages that was very good for Heineken's financial situation. From the viewpoint of the palace, and in particular the chancellor of the exchequor, Mo Nandgroan, it was beneficial because the magic servants didn't need feeding, which in turn saved the palace a small fortune on the food budget. So it appeared to be an excellent solution, whereby everybody was happy.

Or at least, everybody would have been happy if Sir Robin could have paid a little more attention to the niceties of life. Magic servants are very undemanding employees, but even they have a limit to what they are prepared to put up with! As they became increasingly despondent at the disprespectful way they were being treated, they became increasingly rebellious. Eventually they formed their own secret guild, calling itself the Select Secret Society of Servants, and started to plan a rebellion.

They were not just cross with Sir Robin, they were also very disgruntled with the wizard Heineken, who they saw as a puppet of the tyrant. They had discussed their concerns with Heineken, but he could not afford to lose his large monthly allowance of gold from the palace, and they quickly realised that it was pointless discussing their concerns with him. In the end they stopped mentioning their frustration to Heineken, and concentrated instead on finding a way of resolving the problem themselves.

They hated direct confrontation because they were servants, that was their sole reason for existence, and their natural instinct was to do what they were told. So instead they waited until Sir Robin and Heineken were out horse riding, then walked out of the palace en masse. The magic servants had gone on strike!

They headed off to another local wizard, called Grolsch, and offered their services to him. Needless to say he was delighted to have a group of volunteers working for him that needed minimal upkeep, whereas Robin Bars-Tird was outraged at the rebellion. He declared war on Grolsch, and swore that all the magic servants would feel the sharp edge of his trusty sword, Ebenezer.

Have fun! :)

SPOILERS *** SPOILERS *** SPOILERS *** SPOILERS *** SPOILERS

(You'll need to download the map if you want to read the spoilers, they're also shown in a sign next to your capital, just in case you ever need to remind yourself)
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Elbereth This is a great map, however small it may be. I very much like the background information in addition to the huge variety BNW2 has to offer.

HOWEVER, the game keeps on crashing around turn 17. More specifically, I cannot seem to be able to reload saved files. This is a shame. Am I the only one encountering this problem, or does anybody know how to solve it?

Greetings:
Elbereth
RogerRabid
(id: Roger the Rampant)
File Author
Thanks very much for commenting on the map, glad you liked it, and one of the great things for me about BNW is the enormous variety of units and creatures that appear in it, as you said!

When playtesting I did find that on occasion the bar would stick as the game was reloading, I think this is because it was an AoW2 map that I edited to work with BNW, and AoW2 handled heroes slightly differently to Shadow Magic.

However it only happened in perhaps one game out of five on my PC, whereas Kirky had no problems at all, and none of the other playtesters told me that they had any problems reloading

I would suggest that maybe you restart on this occasion, or go back to an earlier save, and in future perhaps save every day?

My next BNW2 map has been designed from scratch as a BNW2 map, it's not an edited AoW2 map, and so hopefully this problem will be eradicated. Watch out for it, it's coming soon and it's called "BNW2 Blood Isles"

Thanks again for your comments! :-)
Elbereth Thanks for your quick reaction. Indeed, ALL save files after a particular turn turned out to be inaccessible. I restarted the game anticipating your suggestion, and so far (turn 22) everything is running as smooth as anyone could wish for.

My first, very positive impression is being confirmed at the start of every new turn. As soon as I am through I promise you the detailed review you definitely deserve. Also, I am glad to hear there seem to be other BNW2 projects out there. Will have to consider using it for a map of my own...

[Edited on 01/09/07 @ 03:37 AM]

Elbereth Ok, I gathered the four magic items and placed them where I should. Now the game should proceed by rewarding me with a "staircase to heaven". Only it doesn't. How come?
RogerRabid
(id: Roger the Rampant)
File Author
You'd be better off emailing me with queries like this, rogerforward at hotmail dot com, rather than posting them as a comment here :)

Could you email me a copy of the saved game, please, and I'll check it out. It certainly worked ok during playtesting.

Best wishes
Roger
rat_peddler
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
Fun to play.

Balance: 5
AI has enough advantages and spawned units to be compepitive.

Creativity: 5
Nice story line and map design.

Map Design: 5
Alot of variety. However, I felt a few to many misleading areas where it looked like you should be able to dig but weren't. A couple deadends is ok, but it was overdone.

Story/Instructions: 4
I liked the hidden spoiler sign just in case one was stuck. However, it has some wrong town names on it.

Additional Comments:
I replayed the new update with BNW3.2 . It seemed to play better with the AI even more of a threat. I uppgraded the rating accordingly!

[Edited on 03/07/10 @ 12:05 AM]

Tharliss
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
This was a very fun little map, my first using BNW. I'm excited to test out the rest of your maps Roger!

One minor comment: Without giving away any spoilers, I'd say it was hard knowing how to get to the "fire path" to the final enemy City. Unless I missed some dialogue, there seems to be only one hint as to how you can accomplish this and I did not figure it out how to do so until my armies were so huge that the last battle was a breeze. Perhaps some added hints?

Again, not a knock, as I still rated this a five. Keep up the fine work!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0