Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Scenarios » FrontLines (Updated April 13, 2007)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

FrontLines (Updated April 13, 2007)

Author File Description
Webusver
File Details
Ruleset: AoW: SM - Unofficial Patch 1.4
Map Size: S
Levels: 1
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 2
# of players: 2
Skill Level: Average
Password Protected: No
This war between humans and orcs has been continuing over 10 years and neither side was able to win. During the last 8 years there were not so many active and deciding battles. Humans and orcs strengthened their front lines and built lots of fortifications. So that it seemed until now that the war will last forever. But recently lots of heroes decided to join army and fight for their nation and finish this old war.
Guide them to battle and finish the war!
(Prepare for very long turns - There are total 174 cities on the map).

Huge armies form frontlines from one edge of the map to another. Like in WW1,2. Prepare for a long fight. Requires full install of "Wizards&Heroes3" mod.
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=785
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Swolte
Staff
I must ask, have you really play-tested this for some time? It looks absurd, but interesting as well.
:)
How did it go?
rat_peddler There is something wrong with the two key human cities. They are not able to produce anything. I thought it might be fair, but was playing and Orcs where sending in Level 4 units that I couldn't produce. So I generated new scenario with Orc as human player. The Orcs two main cities can produce.

As to the game play. I would recommend cutting down the number of cities. Turn them into walls and guard towers. At least that way the game might be able to end. With both sides generating 75 new units per turn, there is no real progress. With W&H the low level units can overwhelm even high level units.

I didnt rate as I won't have been able to give a very high level except for creativity.
Webusver
File Author
rat_peddler,
If those cities can't produce anything then you are using Wizards&Heroes mod v.2.00. I announced about this critical bug. It results in file corruption somewhere during packing/zipping. Production of humans' special unit and chaplains was corrupted. Thus other cities produce everything allright. This bug is already fixed in the mod Wizards&Heroes v.2.01. There are some other fixes. I've uploaded the fixed installer on 03.04.07.

The idea to reduce number of cities is against the idea of the scenario. Frontlines in AoW may be formed only through occupying cities. There are other strategic options as fog on the river dividing mountains, bridges. In fact this was thought out for a long time.

And keep in mind that this is the Multiplayer map.

swolte
The idea of making a frontline-like scenario kept me for a long time. So finally I realised it. I playtested it to the point where it became obvious that AI will loose, then stopped beating him.
Turns last very long. But if you set simultaneous turns it becomes quite nice. Though the map size is small the overall length of the war is considerable. Not number of turns - played for 27 turns and it was almost victory - but real gameplay time for each turn.

The best gameplay (recommended) is for 2 human players who decide to fight each other and agree not to produce all basic units and even disband all basic units from start.

It may be also good for 1x1 PBEM game with enough time to make a turn and small quantity of total turns required to achieve victory.
Though I didn't test any multiplayer modes - to say the truth.

The file was updated on April 13, 2007. The update includes considerable changes which improve singleplayer mode.

[Edited on 04/13/07 @ 02:08 PM]

rat_peddler I did update the M&H mod and the map actually starting working from there forward.

I didn't play it all the way out as the turns are very long. I am not sure I have the interest to try out the new updates, but I may if no new maps are posted in the near future.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:607
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:310.63 KB
Added:03/05/07