Map Size: XL
Levels: 2
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 8
# of players: 8
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: No
This scenario is a based on the mythos of Warcraft, specifically the information attained through playing World of Warcraft that I myself engaged in, with a few additions. The sides are Arthas, the Forsaken, Night Elves, Orcs, Kalimdor Humans, Stormcity Humans, Dwarves, and Goblins based in Booty Bay. All the Dungeons from the game have been laid out in the Caverns, and contain valuable treasure and loot, but are heavily guarded. Numerous text events and mini-quests abound above and below ground. Almost all hero pictures and all Leader pictures are from WoW or WoW artwork. Basically, if you like WoW and AoW, then hopefully you will like this mod.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Swolte
Staff
WoW indeed!
;)
This is the second map today that I saw from a unknown mapmaker that completely blew me away. What action these days in the downloads section!

World of Warcraft is an extremely ambitious XL monster map, and I know many people that would have started out to make a map like this and never finish. Closer762 finishing something this detailed and sizable is very impressive, and only few can say that they have!
:)
The mappainting is very detailed and extremely varied! Exploring this map must be true joy if you like seeing different things around every corner. In some cases, I feel it is even too varied, a bit of overkill. The design sometimes looks like een 'Lappendeken', as I would call it in dutch. This means that the landscape seems composed and tied together like separate colorful patches. The mapmaker could also use some more elevations, imo.

Please don't misunderstand me, the mappainting is ABSOLUTELY great! The above is more a matter of (nitpicking) personal taste. A very creative and persistent mind made this jewel and you'll appreciate it when you download it!

This map has a solid story and it is supported throughout by numerous events, and some of more complexity than 'Show message'! There are no hero or Wizard descriptions, but there are a lot of wonderful custom portraits (I have a feeling where those would be inspired on). You can see that a lot of care went into the background.

Can't say much for balance because the map is big but it looks good!

Anyway, I am typing too much. The map looks like a real jewel! Play it and you're very welcome to the mapmaking world, Closer762! By the looks of this, you've definitely left your mark!

~ Swolte
closer762
File Author
Thanks! Sorry about there being no leader descriptions, maybe I'll get along to that one of these days. One little note on the diversity of the map, I used WoW as a template and tried to be pretty true to the fact that each area in that game is unique, so the detail on the map in many ways is due to this. I don't think I could ever have done a map like this if the work of making up the names and places and where everything was wasn't already done for me! So I thank Blizzard for a great game and a map to make! Anyways, thanks for the comments and I hope everyone continues to enjoy!
NEHZ I really liked the map. Great detail and lots of dungeon crawling.

One thing though:
When you get the idol to the middle island you win. This is in fact easier than cleaning the bugs in southern Azeroth. The last party on the altar had 1 green dragon and some weaker stuff, while the last bug party had 1 queen and 3 lords.

Anyway, it's really fun how you managed to get in each region and put in some of the dungeons. I've got no idea on the balance of this map (Jeina seems to have it hard in the beginning...) but then again I don't worry too much about that anyway.
closer762
File Author
Yeah, I should make the group in the middle more difficult. Thanks for the comment! Maybe once I get a good list of changes/fixes I'll do them. Otherwise it's not password protected, so you can adjusted it to your wants!
sausud I played this map and liked it. I played as the undead (I cant remember the wizard name). The map is great and has a lot of variety. One thing that was boring was that there were same undead indies that I had to hunt in the haunted crypts. Undead Vs Undead is boring. (couldn't use my Vampire to seduce any units. I did get to seduce dwarven veterans but their morale sucked.)

Now I got 3 heroes (weird names) who are kicking other wizzies asses with a group of black knights, bone horrors and undead dragons. This map is good.
sausud
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
I played the undead side and would like to say that I loved this map very much. First of all, the map design is great. Lot of exploration to do. There is a typical feel to many areas. The signboards are very informative. Would be great if the mapmaker had used 'Show Message' event. The wizard and hero portraits are great. Overall the map is fun to play. roaming indies would make the map even more better.
closer762
File Author
Thanks for the review! I'm quite happy you liked the map! I went back to the map and made some minor changes based on the suggestions so far, so if they become major enough I might up the version number, but so far they have been barely anything. Anyways, keep enjoying!
AnderszPhilip
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
As a former wow player myself, is it cool to play this map in AoW, I haven't finished yet, but I enjoy it so far

Balance: 4
Good balance, the only thing is with the AI. It have an hard time with the heavy guarded world.

Creativity: 4
Not realy creative to copy a wow map, but I don't think anyone have done it before, so therefore i'll give you a 4

Map Design: 5

A good detailed map, with a lot of variations. You've done a realy good job copying the wow map. Many of the dungeons are nearly identical as they are in real wow (some are complete different too, but they are impossible to make identical). The map doesn't feel empty at all, cause it's always something to do/discover.

Story/Instructions: 5
Good use of signs and such, but the heroes doesn't have descriptions. Not that I realy care, but maybe someone else does:P

Additional Comments:

Try to use the elevation tool to make the map even more interesting.

[Edited on 07/15/07 @ 05:44 PM]

Carbo As a past WoW player, I appreciate your efforts very much. Nicely done.

I am working on a battle map with a great deal of randomness. Do you mind if I borrow your heroes?
closer762
File Author
No, I don't mind at all, go right ahead! Also, thanks for the comment! Good luck on your battle map!
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.3