PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 7
# of players: 7
Skill Level: Expert
Password Protected: No
Surface Minimap:
Cavern Minimap:
This is my second map (Europe in Flames being the first) and listened to the comments on the first, thus adding more scenery-details to this map.

Version 1.1, made some changes and additions to the scenery as well as adding some events. Tried to make a map with low magic use, hence no mana-nodes.

Hope you like the difficulty which I tried to add, and wish you much fun with it!

Regards,

Low

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Swolte
Staff
When I opened this map I was pleasantly surprised!

I think this is the kind of map that you open up and close right away to play *blind* with your friends. You see the vastness of good looking terrain, lots of well placed cities, and I can tell it is very consistent this way.

The map looks very solid with lots of opportunities and choices to make. A very open map in that regard, and I think those are very popular. It should be a lot of fun to play!

Balance wise, I only have some positional concerns. It does seem that some Wizards are more likely to get 'sandwiched' than others and I see no compensation for that. Then again, if the map is played 3v3, as it might even seem intended, it might wash out.

Now, this is where it usually ends. The mapmaker has made a very playable multiplayer map which looks really good (some areas are very creative!) and natural. There are no obvious balance issues and I can see the map will play well in sp, team and normal MP.

However, the mapmakers goes further. There are events that provide some flavour, and roaming independents that make the map feel more alive! Also, all heroes seem custom made, as well as items (you might want to add some more on an XL map, btw).

Anyway, I can see a LOT of work and dedication went in here and I think we should remember this name! Well done, I think this can become a very popular map!
Low_K
File Author
Thank you for your kind words, Swolte. Yeah it was designed for multiplay, yet I find that the AI puts up a good fight regardless. Hope you, and others, have much fun with it and I am waiting impatiently for the 1.5 patch, what I saw looks excellent indeed!

Regards,

Low

Rokkr I'm not sure why, but I can't get this to work properly. It loads fine, but when it's my turn, none of my units can move.
It also starts the first turn oddly. I can hear the music hesitating as the turn progresses, then finally it smooths out and finishes.
Low_K
File Author
Hello Rokkr,

That's strange and seems like you are the only one having this prob. Maybe it helps if you re-download the map? Do other XL maps work properly on your pc? (Most XL maps can be PC-resource heavy).

Hope you can solve the prob while I really wouldn't know any solution for it. First impression it sounds like a too lowly specced pc, but don't know if you have other probs with maps.

Kind regards,

Low
rat_peddler
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
Fun to play. With the size of the map, I would have allowed some teleporters just to help speed things along.

Balance: 5
The main AI has enough resources and territory to present a big problem esp with the uncooperative Drawfs.

Creativity: 3
A good execution of a fairly conventional approach.

Map Design: 5
Lots of variety with the meandering rivers, hills, etc...

Story/Instructions: 4
A starting story with a few messages make it somewhat better the normal. Background on the custom heroes would be nice. See additional comments.

Additional Comments:
Some sort of warning should be provided about the one ring. I almost gave up on this map because if you take it all h**l breaks loose. So I played again and did not take it.
Low_K
File Author
Thank you, Rat_Peddler, for your rating. Much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Low

albinscott My favorite map, from an aesthetic point of view! Most exciting to play too, although somewhat biased to the good ones, if played Good vs. Evil. I would also let go the events and make it a simple, nothing-to-hide map: it is gorgeous, after all!

Good work, Low_K !!!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0