Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: No
Multiplayer Online?: No
# of Wizards: 8
# of players: 1
Skill Level: Average
Password Protected: No
(Written By Swolte) The map-making by email (MMBEM) project was started by Hatstand and involved some of the best mapmakers in the community. Each of them were assigned a section of a map, and for 4 months this map went around until every single section was filled. Then, under the guidance of Swolte, the different sections were more integrated and played by various (independent) play testers to improve the playability and kill the bugs.

Some of the mapmakers involved:
Hatstand
Albaron
Kaskoid
Swolte
King David
The Groll
Fromage67
Fubarno
Deathworks
Bam65 (+ general intro)
Morgul666

For more details on the process, and who did which sections, please follow this link:
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=26,5097,,60

The map has been playtested extensively as a single player map featuring Edmund as the main hero. However, Matron Bearne and Llorg the Wise are also playable by humans. This map has not been tested as a multiplayer map. Future versions might accommodate this play style as well.

The difficulty can vary largely upon the playing style. This is not an easy map (Edmund) so be careful and prepare to have to reload a few times if you are quite new to the game. For those of you who are more experienced and who like the challenge I dare you to play this map in what is called "Ironman" - style. You can only play this only once and it requires some more skill and scouting.

The style consists out of the following:
- You shall play the map blind (no looking at it beforehand)
- You shall not reload
- You shall not trade or make/allow peace with AI (except Syrons)
- You shall not use tricks that you consider to be serious abuses against the AI

Good luck, and please let us know how you do. Feedback on the map is welcome to be posted in this downloads section.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rat_peddler
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
The map is very fun to play with many interesting issues to overcome. I have played all 3 players from completion to just getting them started; each is unique!

Balance: 5
Seems to just give you enough resources and time to suceed but grudgingly.

Creativity: 4
More like a greatest hits of tricks from many great maps. Mixed into an interesting blend.

Map Design: 5
Alot of interesting map making techniques and areas.

Story/Instructions: 4
Good but not great. There are more story and scripted maps on the forum.

Additional Comments:
Great job on the collaboration!
mentork
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
Not easy to play at all and hard as hell, but that's part of the reason i love it!

Just Enough to let you get by, but barely, you can win, but it's Sooo close.

Creativity: 5
Starting off as a Pansy halfling wizard and having to fight everything under the flipping sun, there is no map that does this as well as master of chaos.

Map Design: 7
I could literally *feel* the evil coming towards me! This is the best single player map i have ever played, this ONE map out does the entire original campaign of aowsm.

The story was A+ but it doesn't really help you out much with the instructions, of coarse, that's one of the reasons it's so hard, and it being hard it part of the reason i love it so i can't really complain about the low amount of instructions, but still there could have been more.

Additional comments: Make a version for dwiggs!

EDIT: found the Review Guidelines

[Edited on 12/30/07 @ 08:29 PM]

Daenar De Nart
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
(Insert Playability analysis here)

(Insert Balance analysis here)

(Insert Creativity analysis here)

(Insert Map Design analysis here)

(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Good map.
Maybe the best.
But mapmakers! What the monster computer you have?
The map we discuss here is slow at best...
asheldon just tried out or really nice map playing the dark elves, but after completing the big quest (kill bruenor) the quest didnt finish, and is still counting the turns.
is this a bug, or did i miss something?

thx

ash
asheldon btw where is drizzt? :)
steppenfox
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Absolutely excellent map
cyancurve
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0

Story/Instructions: 5

Additional Comments:
One of the best maps for AOW-SM.And the best map in terms of replayability. I want to thank all the map makers for their efforts and achievements. They work to hard to keep AOW alive for the community. AOW is one of the games I have been playing all time from AOW2. I wish Triumph Studio see this and start to producing AOW3-:)

---------------
A small defect report and a possible spoiler. I had taken Varg's 3 cities at the cave and produced massive army gathering at the shadow entrance to take on his main city at end of turn 60. Then Llorg the Wise gave the warning AND released his storms at the same turn(turn 61)! All my cities gone and my cities were annihilated except only 3 heroes alive. The warning could be given 3 turn ealier...
Gangell986
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0

Story/Instructions: 5

Additional Comments:
One, if not the best, I have played. The only problem I had was sealing the rift. I even tried rebuilding the six Antitowers of Nothing and the one Magic Relay. Do you have to have the 6000 mana before you approach the rift the first time?
ltmoon I got the same problem. I did have more than 6000 mana when I first approached the demolished magic towers. But, when I rebuilt all 6 towers, nothing happened.
The Groll About the Antitowers and the cosmic string ;-)

The priests of Yak are not telling the truth.
They don´t need the mana to 'close' this cosmic string.
They need 1000 mana for each tower to 'open' an entrance to this cosmic string.
If you look closer (watch the FX events) when you put 1000 mana to one of the towers you will see that with each drop of 1000 mana a small way opens straigth to the middle of the cosmic string one the surface ;-)
You can only open one part of this wayparts when you have 1000 mana and put it on one of the six towers of nothing. The tower will only open one small part of this way for 1000 mana. Six tower = 6000 mana to open the whole way ;-)
No need to save 6000 and after that step on each tower. But of course if you play with more than one player you should be carefull ;-)

There is still one known bug when AI uses the way but that should not be interesting for you now.
Maybe I will rework this events for the AI some day. I just pla ythe map the first time myself and have found some more errors.

There is no real need to rebuild the towers of antimagic after they are exploded by the drop of so much mana to focous the energy to the middle of the cosmic string.
But of course you can do it if you like and need domain in this area.

By the way.
Do you know how to enter Llorg the wise´s space ship?

About the warning about King Llorgs ship weapons and the destructon of undad and Goblin citys.
My respect that you have captured this citys on day 60!
I don´t know if you can force the syrons not to fire on this citys. I like this events.
I recomment that someone trys to play King Llorg the wise ;-)
For me it was not clear that the focus on this MMBEM Project was only on Edmond.
I don´t like the massive overpowered AI players and the limmited players for humans.
It´s not my kind making maps and it was not said that Edmond would be the only playable wizard in the end.
There are better ways to make AI´s strong but that is not the question here.
Some negative effects on this map occur because it was a map made by many mapmakers but what I have seen so far the map is well made.

The name of the map is a 'full hit' btw.
It´s realy a chaos after some weeks and the one who can handle this chaos is realy a master of this map - if she/he don´t use reloads and did not cheat.

[Edited on 01/23/08 @ 02:46 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.9