Map Size: M
Levels: 1
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 2
# of players: 2
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: No
Surface Minimap:
This map called “Clash of Civilizations” is my first map. I put much work and effort into it and I am really happy with the result. It is a great map for a 1vs1 PBEM game. Although not tested against cpu it is very likely this will provide a nice game as well. Just try it out. Take a look and feel free to comment!

If the above does not convince you see what some of the PBEM players said about it:

Charx: “The design is really good. It gives a feeling of a highly-populated area, with many structures to visit. This map is really cool!”

Fubarno: “The map is quite stunning, rich and alive.

Gryffone: The map you created looks good and will provide fun to play!”

This is the map story:

“Clash of Civilizations”

Before time began there was the Zarathoestra. Nobody knows where it came from or what exactly it is, only that it was the creator of this world; Malacandra. As time passed in the beginning, all was well and for some time all lived in harmony and many powerful kingdoms arose. But like all great power, some wanted it for good, others for evil. And so began the Great War. A struggle between the forces of the free world and those of the Evil alliance. The war ravaged the world and consumed it with death. The conflict had its climax in the battle for the Valley of Gorgosh. A fierce skirmish took place there and many brave soldiers lost their lives - countless heroes took their place among the legends of the past. The battle decimated both sides. It was then that a young human knight named Rheno grasped power. He witnessed the power vacuum that emerged in Malacandra and saw chances.

After Rheno proclaimed himself king, a new threat came into view - and it brought a fragile future for the worlds of dwarfs, elves, hobbits, goblins and orcs alike. A time of relative prosperity dawned as King Rheno claimed more and more lands. City after city and Realm after Realm joined the new human leader. His kingdom stretched from the east coast to the west coast of Malacandra dividing what remained of the free people and evil forces. A time of relative peace dawned once more. That was all about to change though for certain prophesies began to fulfill. Ever since the battle for the Valley of Gorgosh - innumerable prophets warned King Rheno. They foretold him his lust for power would undo him. That his desire for might would be his end. They foretold him, saying the sands of his time were about to run out. Rheno never paid any heat to the ancient prophesies. Stubborn and corrupted as he had become he was blind for what was so clear to see. Rheno started losing his mind. He suffered delusions of grandeur. He was like a cock who thought the sun had risen to hear him crow. Once more the cries of battle echoed upon the winds as King Rheno started a new campaign – this time targeting other races. New Heroes arose to challenge faith and lead their brethren to power as mortal armies rush blindly towards their doom. In his name other races were enslaved and in his name many cruelties were done to those that opposed him. He lived in his own little world thinking everybody loved him. It was thus not strange he became extremely paranoid after an Elven assassin tried to kill him. He retrieved to his Keep and swarmed his castle with forces. Since then the human empire is on the brink of destruction as new empires grow in power. Now two new leader stand ready to take their place in history. You must pick a side in this epic confrontation between Good and Evil. Between Orcs and Halflings. It is a clash between speed and cunningness – between stealth and strength. It is a Clash of Civilizations!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Swolte
Staff
I wouldn't say that this is someones first map.

The author seems meticulous in every respect.

First of all, the map-painting is extremely detailed. Every hex seems to be taken care of with great dedication. There are lots of decorative elements used to spice up the scenery in a masterful way. I actually believe Rheno created a style that is quite unique. The result is that you will enter a world unlike you have experienced before!

Secondly, there are lots of custom heroes and they are very well done. The hero descriptions also add to the atmosphere by providing a nice background.

Thirdly, and I haven't seen that in a while. Almost all defenders seem to be set by hand. This must have been a lot of work! I am not sure if I would prefer it, but it surely shows the author doesnt shy away from creating the sort of map he wants to play!

In terms of balance, I am not sure if I would want to pick Halflings. With the Orcs starting off with 2 Demons (flying + resurgence) and a Bat (these are true indie killers), I am not sure I see enough compensation with the Halflings for starting units. However, there is a lot of thought in the placement of cities and resources without the map feeling artificially symmetrical. Very well done!!

So, from what I see (without having played it), I think Rheno can indeed be very proud!

I hope we will see more maps in the future. Perhaps expand on the storyline and make it more epic and with more players. I am truly surprised by the display of talent here. Also, try and get dirty with some more scripting!
;)
Rheno
File Author
Thank you Swolte for the kind words! I just uploaded new version of the map. To be honest I still was a bit unsure about the starting units myself. Since the last beta version I removed many lvl 4 units from the map because they overpowered the Halflings. Since they have been removed it seems no more than fair then to give them something in return. The idea for the Halflings is to dominate/resurrect some extra units at the start while orcs gain that extra power again later in the game when they can seduce units like warlords. This new version gave the Halflings a saint and removed a seducer. Orcs lost their bat and gained a goblin wyvern rider. I hope this equals them a bit more.

Now something I forgot to mention in the main post. I also want to thank gryffone, Fubarno, Lordduck and Charx for their comments and playtesting the maps.
rat_peddler Not really a single player map. All those defenders and recruting sites pretty much stop the AI for any meaningful expansion.

A pretty map that probably is good for 1-1 human play.
Luke811
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
Lovely to play, nice battles -> you're able to train a lot of units before you attack the enemy.
Balance: 4
maybe it's a little bit to easy to get too your enemy.

Creativity: 5
nice.

Map Design: 5
Like swolte said perfect every hex is perfectly done, love the design.

Story/Instructions: 5
Pretty clear what you need to do, story little bit short but it's a small surface map so isn't really needed.

Additional Comments: Seems nobody rates this wonderfull map... I'm not a friend, don't know rheno but just played it once and playing it a second time with someone else.

[Edited on 05/05/09 @ 04:29 PM]

Ziggurat Mason
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
Early on you can acquire some building resources and enough income to train troops, but equally you have to be careful not to run out, and conquering tough guards requires proper assignation of your own powerful starting forces. Perfect!

Balance: 5
I am in a PBEM 1v1 right now for this, but so far I would assume most things about the map occur twice, once for each player, generally speaking, and it seems balanced from the initial contacts.

Creativity: 5
Easily one of the most, or THE most detailed map I've seen. Not just in terms of visuals but also the complex starting units and wide variety of fairly heavily guarded sites and recruitables.

Map Design: 5
Brilliant eyecandy, very dense! And the central water, with available boats, is a nice feature to mitigate player closeness and make flyers more distinct from other units.

Story/Instructions: 5
I think this is an N/A category for
Additional Comments:

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown