Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: Yes
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 7
# of players: 6
Skill Level: Average
Password Protected: No
So, this is my first map, which means comments are always welcome.

There's no events, because I don't get the hang of it yet, but on the other hand the northern Earthern hemisphere is quite accurate. Which means that the Sahara desert is a very large desert and Siberia is bafflingly big too.
Just look at it as playing Civilization (r) but with magic in place of technology and all will level out. If someone would like to use this map, go ahead but don't forget to mention me.

Now, not everything on this map is as close to Earth as I mentioned. There's some legendary stuff to hunt down, like the "City of gold" or the "Fountains of youth". Also, you'll find some references to places mentioned in H.P.Lovecraft's work - like the "Dreamlands", the "Plateau of Leng" and the "City of Unknown Kadath".

The mages (the rulers) are customized versions of those you find in the original game - change of name, spheres & race- and you begin with some new heroes.

While the surface is all in all quite conventional, the underground isn't. About 90% of the underground is ready to be tunneled, so if you need space for more cities, you know where to go. The AI on the other hand apparently doesn't know how to tunnel.

All this makes this map more of a multiplayer map than a singleplayer, but even in single it's still quite nice.

So, happy conquering & I hope I didn't bore you all to much with this text.

5/5/2012 update: a direly needed update so that the way to overpowered scout/patrolling 8-stacks do not get to the players that easily.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Swolte
Staff
Looks like a nice map for a first try!

Have you playtested it? There seems to be a lot of strong indie stacks and I wonder about there impact for each Wizard.

I must admit I didn't read what you wrote before I opened the map and so it was nice to gradually discover our own lovely planet...
;)
Well, done, this must have taken quite some time to recreate!

The mapmaking has a good level of detailed. Not too much, but not too little. Nothing too stunning as well, just very decent.

Looking forward to how it plays. I am always on the lookout for good team player maps (good vs evil) and this one looks like it has that potential!
nyarlathotep
File Author
Wow, over 500 downloads allready! Thanks to the people who think my map is worth it and I hope you all enjoy it!
rat_peddler As Swolte pointed out there are very strong stacks of indie's running around. It killed two AIs and then I got stomped by a stack of 8 spectre's on turn 45 or so. Not really much chance to stand up to that so early (given primative starting conditions) and have any troops to expand or explore.

I would not be able to rate this very highly for playability given that issue alone.
nyarlathotep
File Author
Well, When I will do the next update, I'll take it into account. Anyhow, after some months more experience in the editor, there's quite a few things I'm going to change in this map.

But when playing this map, feel free to tinker a bit with whatever you want in the editor before you actually start your game.

But that update won't come for a while, because I'm in the middle of making another map which will have events, restrictions, more balance etc...

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:1,127
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:276.84 KB
Added:12/03/08