Single Player?: No
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 2
# of players: 2
Skill Level: Expert
Password Protected: No
V 4.0 having played now several pbem´s on the map and received much feedback, I decided to do one (probably last) update. Not much has changed, life has been made a bit easier for the shadow hero of the Dark elves (some more and stronger units to recruit in the first recruitment site) and I added some messages regarding Drizzt & Gromph in order to make some things clearer...
---------------
V 3.0
-> many many bugs had to be removed and the AI was again spiced up so if you found 2.0 challenging, you´ll find 3.0 impossible.
---------------
V 2.0
Some changes were done in regards to map design, for example one drow (dark Elf) hero was placed in the shadow and one Dwarfen Hero was placed on the surface for the simple reason that those two levels get also explored in 1:1 human games.

Playing against AI should be much more fun now as well as I spiced up the game with a lot of events that make the AI´s life much easier and make them much stronger.
(events can never compensate completely for the renowned and fabled stupidity of the AI, of course...)
--------
Short info what this map is about (for those who don´t have already an idea from the map title.... ;)

This map takes place in the Forgotten Realms setting of the D&D World.
It´s all about the legendary Battle of Keeper’s Dale: Drow (Dark elves) against the Dwarves of Mithral Hall.

House Baenre, Leading noble house of Menzoberrranzan - the most famous and biggest drow (dark elven) town in the Forgotten Realms, leads an army of drow, goblins, and kobolds and other interesting creatures out of Menzoberranzan to attack the dwarves of Mithral Hall.
The dwarves, led by King Bruenor Battlehammer, are aided by troops from the surface towns Nesmé and Silverymoon, and even the mysterious Harpells of Longsaddle and Lady Alustriel herself.

In the original setting (to be read in the Forgotten realms Novel 'Siege of Darkness'), the drow were defeated and driven back to Menzoberranzan.

In this scenario, the outcome of this ultimate battle might be totally different?!

It´s an epic battle!
--------
What offers this map?

- for it´s small size, it offers quite some complexity. Many options for both sides to gain powerful allies, and some allies of one party are foes of the other and vice versa...
- Multiple ways how to approach eachother
- Playes don´t start from scrap but both start with powerful realms and heroes making it a high-end epic battle from the very beginning.
- event-driven variety in gameplay often with player or situation-dependent event-outcome.

have fun! I myself had fun on making this map since it´s one of the last special map-projects that have been circling in my brain since several years...
Pages: « First « 1 [2]
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
morgul666
File Author
what I would like to know is: Was there ANY challenge to play against the AI or was it a piece of cake?
I´m asking because I never played the map against AI for testing reasons (since it´s not meant to played in single player mode actually)
ibobs Playing in SP now. Not much challenge from the AI but getting more of the map and the story. Rerated a little.
morgul666
File Author
thanks for ur rating Ibobs! I´ll certainly do an update on the map in the near future and will consider some of your proposals. I also have some new ideas how to achieve that also in human vs human game both players will see more of the map than just the dungeon level.
after some consideration, I decided not to rework the map in order to make it tournament-suitable. This would mean too drastic changes and would serve the concept behind the map well.
It is and shall remain an epic map for players who maybe like the forgotten realms and/or simply like epic maps.
Tharliss
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
I've only played this vs. the ai, so it wasn't too challenging, but it was certainly enjoyable. You might want to consider putting together a SP version with larger bonuses for the AI.

Balance: 5
I completed the game with Bruenor, and only "test-drove" House Baenre, but it looked relatively balanced.

Creativity: 5
Seeing how this scenario was based on one of my favorite novels, I loved the creative aspect! This was a great adaptation of the novel, which IMO is no easy task.

Map Design: 5
Both Mithral Hall and Menzoberranzan were beautiful, with a lot of great detail. While the rest of the design was solid, the work done on these two main areas warranted a 5.

Story/Instructions: 5
Again, being a fan of the series, I loved the detail put into the descriptions and the background/history of the heroes. Excellent choice of heroes. Loved that one of the starting cities was the "Gutbuster HQ"!

Additional Comments:
This might be my first ever review, and while I've enjoyed many of the maps this community has produced, I felt compelled to comment on this one. I might play with the editor to see what hidden treats I missed...i.e. I want to know if Artemis or Jaraxle are potential heroes! :)

morgul666
File Author
thanks for the review Tharliss!

My main intention with the map was to reach fans of the series like I am one and obviously it worked at least in your case :)
You should try to play the map pbem or even online with somebody (in case you´d like to play pbem but don´t know with whom I´d also like to join to a game) because against human the fun factor rises significantly!!
as per Jarlaxle and Entreri, well, they are not part of this map BUT (as I love those two more than any other character) I had to implement them into the DtU (Descent to Undermountain) map so in case you haven´t tried that one out yet, I´d highly recommend to instantly download it (well, you´d have to install Dwiggs 5 prior to that, but it´s worth to install Dwiggs anyway!!) and play Jarlaxle as wizard there !!

thanks again for the fine rating, it´s very much appreciated.
rat_peddler A nice map. I don't know anything about the series it is based on, but I appreciate the update to make it more single player friendly.

The AI can't mount any cohesive offense given the complicated map, but it is a fun treasure hunt.
Pages: « First « 1 [2]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0