Single Player?: No
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 3
# of players: 2
Skill Level: Expert
Password Protected: No
Your mind reels! You are in hell standing before the great and allmighty Gruumsh. He who sees all with his terrible eye. He who looks into the souls of his orc and goblin followers and knows the heights of their fanatical courage in battle or the depravity of their cowardice. He who torments the souls of cowards in a lake of fire and pain for his pleasure. Only the bravest and most cruel warriors are allowed to feast for eternity in his hall of corpse warriors.

Why yes, it is all becoming clear in your mind. You are dead and summoned before your god. You died in battle. But what can Gruumsh want? Surely he must want to reward you. Hopefully your battle fury pleased him. His deafening voice calls. You must obey....

Thanks to those who uploaded the many images I used for wizards and heroes.I hope you enjoy!
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Sunicle I haven't played this one yet, but I like all those custom heroes. One detail though; Bis Wraithcut a female, and Dela Crytalgem a male? Probably something slipped your attention!
Fubarno
File Author
Good catch Sunicle. When I update I'll change these things. Yes all heroes, and there are alot, are custom made with custom images from the misc downloads page here. Also, every one of the many magic items is custom made.

Perhaps my map isn't perfect for tourney play but I think many email players will enjoy it for 1 vs 1 play. From testing I get the feeling that the game should last till about turn 70, but could go shorter or longer. I'm going to try an updated version that will alow earlier interaction between the players and less ai influence.

[Edited on 05/27/09 @ 12:32 PM]

Sunicle Yes, there's no quick interaction! I'm at turn 34, but I'm still in my own portion of the map. It seems a lot of build-up is needed to get past the guards to allow the exploration of other areas of the map.
I didn't like the first 2 turns, where it's clear you simply need to walk out of the area, but the path is annoyingly unclear, so I got lost and bumped into mountains a lot.
After that I enjoyed it a lot more!
There's a quest to capture a town on the other side of the underground, so that one decided where I was going for the next 10 turns or so. Also the way back is quite obvious. The capture of all those goodies and building up your hero's experience will really be needed for venturing further out. The underground is well designed; most fights are doable, and some that leave you thinking: 'hmm, maybe next time..', so that's good.
Moving forward is slow, but it all depends on what you're looking for in a map. This is not a map for a quick 1 vs 1, but what it does it does right.

ibobs This just illustrates that map playing and liking is all about view point. I am liking this map very much so far and did like the first two turns of "intro" as you are drawn into why you are there.

@Fubarno - my map was judged too slow at 45 - 55 turns...

[Edited on 05/29/09 @ 04:16 AM]

ibobs Hi,
Here's an interesting bug, you cannot pick up the Sorcerers Shroud. It just doesnt really exist. I originally found it in a crypt and then I added it to the map to test and in both cases, you cannot pick it up!

Also, you may want to consider added gold values to new items to avoid any possible exploit with the AI selling them. It (the AI) is very dumb...
Cheers
Ibobs

[Edited on 05/29/09 @ 08:42 AM]

ibobs Oh and some "use" items have stat modifiers which dont work...
Timelord Hi Fubarno, great map!

As you say, this would be a great map for general PBEM play - lot of places/options to explore, an AI to bash on and gain xp and a build-up time to prevent early mistakes from costing you the game.

However, I think it plays too long for a tourney map.

After playing a few turns, I looked in the editor and thought - for a tourney version, simply blocking off the surface and removing the earth tiles in the barrier between the two wizards will provide a quicker game.
Just like Descent to Undermountain, you can have an option for the starting player to choose tourney or no - if tourney, seal off the underground gateways, do some change terrain events, kill the AI units and spawn guards and so on...
:)

I think something more similar to Valley of Turmoil will be spot on - options to explore/diversify are there but they are relatively tougher to access and its easier/quicker to go after your opponent as a rush strategy
rat_peddler
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 4
This actually plays ok as a single player map as the AI quickly dominates the surface and you have to clear it out from below.
Balance: 4
AI at Emperorer provides some long term resistance as it gets off to a fast start and has some easy to defend choke points.

Creativity: 4
Nice to see some new images. A little background on the heroes would help the story rating.

Map Design: 5
I thought the map had some nice variety of look, routes, etc...

Story/Instructions: 3
The start-up could use a little more background on what needs to be done.

Additional Comments:
I never did see the other player that would have been another human player. It probably never left the shadow realm or got spawned. The only one of these maps that was somewhat of a SP challenge and could probably easily be adapted for SP.
Sunicle Perhaps it wasn't clear from my earlier comment, that's why I like to stress that I actually like this map a lot! If I was to rate it, I would probably give it a 4.5 or so.

The map is a lot bigger than the S size suggests. Lots of battles against AI, but High Passes had that as well, so perhaps that's a trademark of the maker.
If you don't want to make it into a tourney map, than you don't need to change things. It does play slowly, but without changing the map design I think a few little things could speed it up:
* An extra digger (or maybe two) in the recruitment site, as there are several places with diggable terrain, quite far apart;
* An extra hero join event somewhere, perhaps after you've finished a first diagonal move.
ibobs Another comment is that the quest for the red side (forgot the name) doesn't start. The one where you get the refugee wolf rider to take the city with the goblin hero in it.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.5