Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 4
# of players: 4
Skill Level: Expert
Password Protected: No
Character:

This is a 2-vs-2 adventure map, amusing, challenging and demanding top-level strategy skills. It is excellently suited for experienced players looking for a funny team map, to test out their skill limits, or looking for a balanced team tourney map. Less experienced players will still have a lot of fun playing it and a lack of strategy skills will not likely result in an immediate death or unenjoyable playing.

The good flair of this map is based on a constant play between symmetry and diversity. Beside this there are large amounts of scripted events waiting to entertain. This map requires full action and concentration from the start and it never gets boring! Due to its richness, it also has a big replaybility value.

The two teams are: Yorin (Humans) + Marigane (Elves) versus Ulrik (Humans) + Balina (Elves). Each wizard has individual traits and skills.

Playing Recommendations:

- play with Allied Victory on, Surrender off, Build Outposts off, Item Teleportation on
- Trading of Spells and Items should be prohibited
- play "blind" on first encounter

Map History:

Predecessor is "Academy Max Strat - 110", designed by Final Bolt for AoW-WT.
The first original of the map is "Academy of War" by Alex Mars, with permission of the author.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
The Groll I did not know the original map but this map look nice.
For a symetrical medium sized map it look very interesting and not boring.
It is full of upatch 1.4 stuff and look "modern". :-)
In the end it has a long event list what promised me it is interesting from this point of view too.
It has a lot of strategical elements and locations where nice battle setups are possible.
It looks this map can be a nice map for 2 vs.2 games.
would be nice if two players of this alliance can be setup as AI players so good friends can fight in an alliance against AI.
Is this possible and the AI strong enought then?
Then this map would be a fantasic map for me and my friends.
But it looks also nice for LAN partys where four players have time and passion to play it.
This map could be a map I like to play in online games but alos in PBEM games.

Would be intresting to view the original map and compare it to this new version but I think FB made a very nice map of it. WT is along ago but this one looks moder as I said before.

Thumbs up!
Good work!

Edit:
Was Academy "Max Strat" - 110 the original?
It is password protected so I was not able to take a look.

[Edited on 08/28/09 @ 10:44 AM]

Swolte
Staff
As mentioned, it is built on a classic by Alex Mars. I had some great games on this one as that map combined balance with superior gameplay.

Its good to see these map revivals! People who don't know the map should definitely try this one.
naecO This map is good, very well made for PBEM. I've been playing it blind all the wizards for a day or two and it's been fun.
I'll definitely start one after the Tourney. :)
rat_peddler Even thought not labelled single player, I gave it a test run playing one of the alliance classic style with two of them AI and two as human.

I think with a little editing to put the two potential AI allies in their strong hold and having the heroes pre-assigned a few other tweaks this has some potential for a quick convert to a decent SP game as well. Or two players against the AI.

Just a thought.
Final Bolt
File Author
Thanks for the comments so far! It's nice to see some echo because over time there went a lot of work into it, and I can claim the scripting is quite well tested. I'ld love to see one or two games on it.

I have no doubt it is fun playing. Although I must also say that it has a clear flavour, and that is "adventure". I leave this for future experience and ultimately might add a "classic" edition with less randomness for advanced tourney flavour.

As for the AI question, I don't think this will ever be an enjoyable map for this purpose. AI is simply not in the position to do something meaningful in this somewhat demanding topography. In this current edition (SM 200) it is simply not playable against AI. I guess one could create something like a "training" map with strong AI positions, but it has to be a different map and I'ld really suggest to play against humans instead because only this will challenge your intelligence.

Cheers!

[Edited on 09/01/09 @ 01:23 AM]

DragonKiller You recommend playing blind, but there is an event that can only be activated on turn three with your wizard getting a free tower in the void. This is all well and good, but if you dont know about the event then you will miss it by the time you get your wizard there... Just a thought to consider.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:482
Favorites: [Who?]1
Size:109.84 KB
Added:08/28/09