Map Size: S
Levels: 2
Single Player?: No
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 4
# of players: 4
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: No
Surface Minimap:
Cavern Minimap:
The map was made for the BTOOIC mapmaking contest. The assignment was to make a small map to play tournaments on. Balance was key.

Goldrush Mountains is a symmetrical map with a wizard in every corner that plays in desert-land. The natural resources of the land are scarce and as you know, few crops can grow on desolate desert.
Gold is precious...
In the middle of a large desert, however, lies a mountain range with plenty of gold!! More than you could ever dream of. If only you could rule these mountains, you would be very powerfull.. Unfortunately, there are more that think that way.

A lot is fixed but that is also the challenge of the map. The map is desert themed and I gave all Wizards Tigrans as a start race for that reason. The sphere is 'Fire' and everyone starts with 'Conqueror'. The flying heroes, undead and Archon races are removed for balancing reasons (A lot of the cities are 'randomn' and Undead and Archons may give early morale problems that can be too unbalancing).
The frostlings will not be present on a desert map either, of course..

With 9 new Tigran heroes the sand will soon be covered with red again!

Have as much fun playing this map as I had making it! :)

Tip 1: Don't get too 'fevered' on the gold to forget your home defense.
Tip 2: Don't rush in too fast! There may be dangerous guardians ready and waiting.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
khaizano I want to download this scenario map and I also download more scenario maps for age of wonders 2 Demo.
greenmonster
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
it may starts off a little too slow for some, and a player may get a 'stuck in neutral' feeling until their towns develop more, but have some patience and you'll find yourself in some very intense battles

Balance: 5
basically the only things that set starting posistions apart are that the towns in between wizards are set to random races - there should be absolutley no complaints from players when its used as a tournament map

Creativity: 4
while a standardly symetrical tournament-type map, having most everything of 'value' in the center of the map, seperated by a stretch of desert is a bit of a twist, and can make for some interesting play

Map Design: 4
things look good, and are well laid out. nothing 'stunning', but nothing that detracts from gameplay, either.

Story/Instructions: 4
has enough of a story let me give it a 4, but only because of the type of map it is; tournament slugfests dont need instructions.

Map does give fair warning to unsuspecting players about the guardians in the center of the map.

Additional Comments:

if you want to play a map that proves who is better then who without the variables of race and sphere, this is your map!

I think there are 2 questions that help players decide on what map to play, and I'll answer them here:

can I recommend the map? Yes.
would I play it more then once? Yes.

so what are you waiting for? start downloading, already!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0