Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: No
Multiplayer Online?: No
# of Wizards: 2
# of players: 1
Skill Level: Advanced
Password Protected: No
Welcome to the incredible land of Erithnia

Experience Erithnia, a realm of epic proportions and beauty; with opponents threatening you and the neighbouring lands there for the conquering, an unknown danger gets ready to strike. Quests and plunder abound in these kingdoms but expect resistance to your iron-fisted rule. Gather the many custom heroes to your banner and equip them with the hundreds of items stepped in the archaic magic of Erithnia. Although your main quarrel is with Fiirsha of the elves over the ruins of the Ralagrathrian Empire, you, Bruuk of the Orcs will have the chance to enslave all of Erithnia. However, an unknown danger lies in wait for you…

This is a purely single player map, with a total of three different endings, hundreds of events and over a hundred custom items and heroes all on stunning scenery. Anyone who has a phobia of extra large maps due to extremely long turns need not worry here for there is only 1 Ai player to make sure that the turns are of an acceptable length. Added to all this, there is a tremendous replay value in which you can attempt to capture and hold all of Erithnia in the face of heavy resistance by your conquered foes.

Please note that this is not a Shadow Magic version of the Battle Of Creation, I have only made it so that it can be played with Shadow Magic. This was and remains an AoW2 map, however it is now possible to play it with Shadow Magic.
Make sure that if you play it with Shadow magic that you choose the Shadow version because the AoW2 version is unwinnable if played with Shadow Magic
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
osho
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
A map that has a great playability. Despite the maps large size intrest is kept up by the mini quests that have been incorperated into the map. Also the resistance from the independant cities you capture is a relief from the usually simple task of capturing them as it adds some realism when a realm opposes your attacks on it.

Balance: 4
A balanced map obviously only for single player. But this is a good thing as time has been spent on the story. The ai offers a challenge as well as it rapidly advances accross the map towards you and it caught me offgaurd when it attacked in force whelst i was off waging war on the dwarfs.

Creativity: 5
Very creative, the story the scenery the events the lot.

Map Design: 5
the map design not only looks good but is functional as well with intelligent placing of rescources and cities.

Story/Instructions: 5
The story is the most detailed i have seen in a map. It has been thoroughly incorperated into the game and is believable and gives you incentive to play through the map as the story is carried through with clever use of events.

Additional Comments:
The best single player map around, simple!
cyancurve
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
(Insert Playability analysis here)

Balance: 5
(Insert Balance analysis here)

(Insert Creativity analysis here)

(Insert Map Design analysis here)

(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:
I have to give them all 5. This is simply one of the best single player map all arround. Story line is great and events are well placed.

If there is anything that I can suggest it would be:

I never had chance to conquer north park(tigrant, human, dark elf) and south-east(frostling). Because soon after I conquer Dwarf, Goblin and half of human.
Elf's none-stop armies flooded in(I played emporer difficulty). I had a hard time to defend on 2 front lines, my base and the south human territory. Somehow I managed to have 2 heroes leveled up to 30. They really kicked ass. I pushed them back all the way back to the enemy's captital and kill the opponent wizzard by using lightening strik from the ring, didnt find all creator gate pieces(I believe that will be fun too).

I would suggest that put 2 weak wizzards up north and south, it will add some varity in play. At least u have to do something about the north map.

Anyway, great map and well done, hope to see more coming.
Lena Elvar Beautiful map with lot of placees to explore. Tons of events, custom made heroes and items are a big plus. it was bit boring to fight only against one enemy on a map this big. Like the previous reviewer said, few more enemy wizards would have made this map much better, fighting the independents isn't that much fun. Good map never the less.

[Edited on 01/10/03 @ 11:37 PM]

Queen Elquein
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 3

Balance: 3

Creativity: 4

Map Design: 4

Story/Instructions: 4

Additional Comments:
For starters, I'll say that this is the best single player map for AoW2 so far. The map is well designed with many intresting places and good terrain. There are some clever events, which is a positive thing. But as you only have one opponent in this map, and even that opponent is far away from you, isn't really good, at least not for me. I prefer maps with intense action. There are many strong indie groups all around the map, but fighting them is not that specially appealing. And as the map maker has restricted the only AI's movement and expansion, this is quite easy map, and won't give much challenge to players.

But still, this map is certainly worth playing. It's nice to see that people are learning how to make good maps. And hopefully, this little darling will make many more maps in the future. (You should try and see what you could create with the AoW editor... ;))
jamieJME
File Author
Well, thanks for all the feedback and I am very glad that you all like it (after the time I spent on it :) )

I certainly agree about all your comments about the single AI and because of the positive reaction my map has recieved, I am going to start working on another version.

This will have another AI and will mean that people do fight an Ai sooner in the game and will also force the player to visit all of the map.

(However Queenie, the difficulty will be less than that of Athendore, so for you, it will still probably count as easy!!! )

JME

(ps, if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to email me with them.)

[Edited on 01/11/03 @ 07:40 AM]

razor36
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Ï would lik to say: download it, you will not be sorry.
jamieJME
File Author
Below is a review from AoW2 Battleground, Magog's excellent site for reviewing all the AoW2 maps:

The Battle of creation

Map author : Jamie, Map size : XL, Rating : 96,0%

There's a long opening story in this map, which tells you that you're in a land called Erithnia and you're leading a bunch of orcs (ok, I shortened it some...). The story goes on as you play and tells you what to do, but not in a linear kind of way. You can attack your opponent (there's only one AI wizard) at once if you wish, or search for some certain items that will help you, or perhaps expand your empire a little before attacking, or maybe all at the same time? Whatever you decide to do, you will find these little stories and cool places everywhere, and there wont be a boring moment.
This one is just amazing. There's no doubt that this is the best single player map made for AoW2 so far. If you're going to play only one map this year, make sure it's this one... :)

Balance : 8
Very close to a 9 or 10, but the fact that I had to defend too much and not beeing able to follow a certain storyline in the beginning annoyed me some. Hardcore players will probably think it's too easy, but for us mortals balance is ok.

Graphic details : 10
Details are great everywhere and the transitions between different areas look good.

Story/Instructions : 10
Story is the best part if you ask me. There's a long opening story, and tons of messages that pops up during the game.

Customization : 10
Some 100 items and about 25 heroes. The heroes have cool names and titles, it's a shame the titles don't show anywhere in the game.

Creativity : 10
Map design and layout is superb. The list of events is massive and all of it seems well tested. The map almost seems to be developed professionally.
You fight independents much on this map, and that's different but ok. They are quite organized and not just a bunch of area guards. I think it was a wise choice to let there be only one enemy wizard, as it speeds up gameplay a great deal.

Fun : 10
All areas you discover have something to tell, and you want to look behind every mountain to see what might be hiding there.... I had a lot of fun, and I know every other person that enjoys AoW2 in single player mode will.

Bonus points : 1
One bonus point for the great storytelling events.
Sir_Toejam
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
This scenario kept me engrossed for the whole time I plated it (still am, actually, after a whole week!), even tho it is an XL map. The random events will keep you on your toes!

The only reason I gave this a 4 is because if you tried to play it multiplayer, the elves would have it too good to start. Even in single player, the AI (who will play elves) starts out with so many advantages, that you really need to be an expert player or you will be mown down.

Can't say enough here. The random events, customized heroes, placement and design of creature dwellings, everything says this person spent a LOT of time thinking about this and testing ideas thoroughly.

Simply beautiful. Placement of towns and obstacles is first rate. good use of water and landscaping to control movement on the map. Only other comment would be to make sure that the "gate" pieces are far enough away from the AI so that the player has a reasonable chance of collecting all 12 before the AI can get one.

Best storyline i have seen for a single map. all original idea, as far as I can tell. Storyling keeps growing and progressing well through 3 month of game time, at least. Wow. My only comment on the instructions would be that the author include the "prophecy" in a text file so the player can refer back to it from time to time.

Additional Comments:

I really can't say enough good things about this map. The author was on a mission, for sure! The manufuacturer should hire the author to do maps and storylines for them, as the author does a far better job.
I keep wondering how long it must have taken one person to make this map???

jamieJME
File Author
Glad you like it Sir Toejam. Here are a couple of replies to points you raised.

"gate pieces are far enough away from the AI "
Don't worry, they all have AI blocks on so there is no danger of the AI getting them. Even if you did manage to lose one, there would still be 2 other ways to complete the map!

"author include the "prophecy" in a text file "
No need because the prophecy is written on a sign in the woods. When you first are told it, you are told where it is found. (If you still have trouble finding it, take a look in the bottom left corner!)

Re your question about how long it took me, I have posted some information about making the map in the post in the general forum titled The Battle of Creation.

Once again, thank you all for your comments, keep on sending them.

JME
JWorth
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0

Additional Comments:
Posted first in the forum, reposted here:
Really nice map, jamieJME. Nice pace and storyline, and beautifully executed terrain.
Not sure if this is the place for constructive criticism, but here goes :
1) I'm not sure if this is intended, but it feels a little like a glitch -- you do realize that the Dwarven backdoor tunnel into the goblin caves (the one with the "silence on pain of death" sign) can't be completed, even with tunneling. It deadends into impassable terrain on the goblin side of the tunnel -- haven't checked to see if a flyer can successfully pass, but walkers are definitely blocked. Seems odd that the dwarves would have chosen an impassable route for their sneak attack...
2) This is more of a balance question, which I understand can be tricky, but I'm not sure if such early access (at the first approach to Dwarf country) to the seduce/charm artifact is a good idea. During the Dwarven part of the scenario, morale provides some natural check on seduction (though it makes Moles, with their low resistance, much less intimidating), but the Goblin campaign feels a little easy, when those waves of attacks by area-guards leave the player's army stregthened with seduced recruits rather than worn away by attrition.
3) Finally, definitely release your next version, when you have it ready. You're clearly one of the most talented scenario designers out there -- please share more of your work. And don't feel reluctant to make the next one more difficult .
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.2