PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: No
# of Wizards: 5
# of players: 4
Skill Level: Advanced
Password Protected: No
Surface Minimap:
Cavern Minimap:
It's been sitting on my HD for months now and I never came to finish some of the story. In the meantime I've made the terrain even prettier and elaborated the story. I feel it is never finished but at least you people can enjoy!

THE RIVER ARNE
The mighty river Arne runs from the cold north-eastern lands to the vast Sea of Lamurie and is named after the last great Frostling King that lived long ago. Far too long for you to be bothered with, or perhaps... sometimes a little history can't hurt. Knowledge can even prevent you from getting hurt. Listen if you choose...

(This is all long before the Great Flood and general background knowledge, you can always catch up via the 'objectives' option)

In the early days the Frostlings were of great strength. Their King, Arne, possesed a powerful magic sceptre and wherever he carried it, his coldhearted influence spread. But like all Kings, he too came to an end.
Findarin, the mighty elven lord of Ellesendil in the northern forests allied with the dwarves of Dembar and Bolgorom. For years the two races fought the Frostling King and traded knowledge and resources with eachother. It even resulted in the building of a great bridge between the elves of Findarin and the dwarves of Bolgorom. The Elves of Arborlon, located in the southeastern forests, led by Queen Elanor remained neutral.

The two races grew in power...
But Arne was growing old and tired of war. When his peace offer was rejected by Findarin, claiming it was a simple trick, thousands of elves and dwarves marched to the frostling capital. The siege of Fornost lasted years and in the end Findarin beheaded Arne in a fight. Filled with greed he looked for the sceptre, but he couldn't find it. Soon his greed turned into anger, blaming Dembar for hiding it! Findarin declared war upon the dwarves and proclaimed the Frostling lands his own. The dwarves grew sick of elves and decided not to meddle with them anymore, ever.
It was then that the Elders of Ellesendil (Elven capital) took the throne from Findarin, sensing evil in their former ruler.
Filled with disbelief and hatred, Findarin murdered every rebelling elf alive in Ellesendil, many of his troops were killed as well. He left the Forest of Findarin with his remaining troops to become the ruler of Arborlon. But he overestimated his powers that were fuelled by hate and had to flee from Elanor's troops. He was never seen again and soon forgotten.

This was 1830 years ago..
Here is what happened next (also for reference via 'objectives'):

1600 years ago:

Humans came to the lands. They were adventurers and spreading fast but remained mere mortals in the eyes of elves. The humans and goblins envyed the elven powers but Arborlon remained superior.

1405 years ago:

The first war between the rebelling Humans and their Elven rulers was about to begin but... a mysterious great flood killed all that remained of the Elves before the battle began. Giving power to the humans in these regions and turning the old elven lands to a desolate swamp. Elves are never seen again. The flood is known as The Great Flood.

1270 years ago:

Huge battles between the Goblins and the two Dwarves tribes (Dembar and Bolgorom) over secrets and underground resources. Resulting in the imprisonment of the Goblins by Dembar in Azban. Guarded by Archon's the Goblins never escaped.

504 years ago:

The Dwarves befall a similar mysterious tragedy as the elves. Dembar and his entire underground empire was found abandoned by dwarven traders from Bolgorom, who left as soon as their little legs could carry them. Something was not right there.

Sir William becomes king of Amnur, ruler of the humans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the moment I've made the map in a fashion that I believe, with my current knowledge, I have enough equal chances of winning the game with every race! I have done a lot of testing and discovered that it is nearly impossible to balance perfectly.

One warning, though. The map is pretty tough. It's far from impossible (it is MP..) but a fast rush strategy will get you killed easily. Strong independents and an AI player that killed me (playing Humans fast), when underestimating FC on day 18... No roaming dragons but a stack of 4 units (incl hero) won't get you far. Be careful with heroes alone!
Also, it's designed to play slow. Get a reliable group of players and expect to play around for months..

For the rest it's a Large map with a natural look, it contains no teleporters or haste (berry trees), flying heroes (none that will join easily) and it's a bit 'old fashioned' in a sense that it's very race related. Every Wizard has a different starting position and requires different skills to survive. You can pick the following races:

* Goblins (survivalist, fire). Sneaky and great in numbers. Very fun to play. A sneaky and evil player..

* Humans (conquerer, water). Lots of possibilities but difficult position to start, risky. Be sure you are a good player or get yourself killed soon!! (serious). A player that loves sensation and AI bashing..

* Dwarves (constructor, earth). If you have a defensive style of play they are ideal. The first 10 turns can be difficult. They are bound to develop into a sturdy and extermely strong race. Their only disadvantage being their speed. A patient player..

* Elves (channeler, life). Become the master of magic! Hidden in a deep but dangerous forest. Relatively 'safe' from the beginning but don't wander alone or underestimate independents too soon.
The honest and explorative player!
----------------------------------------------------

I've tried not to make it story driven and I think I've succeeded. Knowing the story might prove beneficial but you are free to ignore. There are more than enough roleplaying possibilities for those that do like to play along with a storyline. Even a plot..

Warnings:
-The AI is incapable of playing any of the 4 'races' to it's full potential. It can also lead to undesirable Tutorial pop-ups in certain games. Get 4 players!!
-The map is balanced with taking a lot in consideration. Changing starting spheres or races could have a bad impact on both story and play.
-It's a difficult map regarding Independents and AI-player. The main opponents remain the players, of course, but getting your hero killed in dangerous area is very easy.. be aware and note the signs and ingame warnings!
- Do NOT use the Call Hero spell!

Credits and thanks for:
- Mister Pickles for checking some of the spelling (getting the worst out).
- Greenmonster& Waterfly for the extensive suggestions and comments.
- Everyone else that beta-tested (and had to play humans ;))!!

Swolte
(Feedback is still welcome at swolte1@hotmail.com)
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Sir Thomas
(id: Sir_Thomas)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
(Insert Playability analysis here)

Balance: 4
(Insert Balance analysis here)

Creativity: 5
(Insert Creativity analysis here)

Map Design: 5
(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Story/Instructions: 4
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:This scenario is truly vast. Each
player has enough room to develop a viable kingdom
before contacting another player. At the same time,
however, wandering independants keep you on your toes,
especially lurkers and dire boars.
This is the kind of scenario that you never want
to end. There is so much to discover that you'll want
to play it several times as different races. I'm playing as the Elves, but the Dwarves are extremely
important for exploring the huge underground, and the
Halflings are not to be dismissed lightly.
There are numerous artifacts, but they aren't
strewn about in plain sight. You most often have to
defeat their owners in battle to aquire them. Expect
a real challenge. Great work.
JNL
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5

(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Made for a very good single player game as Elves.
Ecco
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0

Map Design: 4
overall very good, could have done with a few more places to aquire items , especially at low level hero

Additional Comments:
played this map 4 times , each as different race.... HUMANS! omg.. so hard to get a foothold.. excellent work all round, thanks.
Oleg123
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0