Map Size: S
Levels: 2
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 4
# of players: 4
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: No
Surface Minimap:
Cavern Minimap:
Waikiti-Shadow Magic

Hi, welcome to the island of Waikiti!
If you want a balanced and lighthearted mp map for 4 players this is the one! It has a great relaxing holiday feel over it as well!

The map can be played as 1vs1vs1vs1 but a 2vs2 is likely the most fun!

I updated the map for Shadowmagic. Everything is still *fixed* because of the 'specific' design, so don't change the spheres! The wizards-figures have been editted as well!

---------------- STORY ------------------

The story takes place on the remote tropical island of Waikiti. Here four old wizards ruled the inhabitants for ages and ages and ages.. and probably for more ages to come.. yet, time passed and passed and being immortal became more of a burden than a blessing to the wizards. they grew tired of waging wars and and proposing peaces for the 1041-th time.. despite living on an adventurous tropical island.

On top of that, the Wizards' subjects were a complaining folk, depending on the 'allpowerful' wizard to solve everything. The 4 different factions on the island all hold their wizards responsiblefor the daily hassles and joy (but mostly lack of that..).

The rivaling wizards were never this unpopular, tired and bored themselves. They decided to do something completely different this time, something that would get their harts pumping with exitement again! Something adventerous, a radical change that would enable them to feel appreciated, challenged and alive again!!

They would entomb themselves..

With some pretty nymphs, of course.. They trusted the lands would be in chaos and that they would be freed with tremendous joy to restore order again.
A nice 'game', dangerous as well.. but they could use some exitement after 7576 years of the same kinds of wars.. it would alo give them some well deserved rest..

And so it began.. the inhabitants were amazed at the common plans of the rivaling wizards. Soon all wizard towers were ordered to be destroyed (except the overly powerful one called Jurgol), and the wizards entombed themselves. The wizards were only reachable by a squads of diggers.. Each wizard left notes to his mortal commanders (hoping, in silence) they would free them, asap!

Each wizard believed HE would be the first to get saved by his own people and laugh at his fellow wizards, ruling Waikiti for himself alone.. The new thoughts that it brought up alone made the wizards tremble with anticipation!
-----------------------------------------------------

I've played/seen several testgames in AoW and I got a few glitches out, should be real stable now..
If you still find odd things, contact me at swolte1@hotmail.com!

Have a nice exile!
Swolte
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
camelrider It has a truly fantastic theme, you really managed to squeeze in some carribean feel to it. Someone like butterflies? I found it really enjoyable.
camelrider
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 4
Was really playable. Except one: The Firestorms. It becomes really tedious to sit and wait for ten or so firestorms that has to land before any of us could move (theeseee eess a multiplayer). And I get kind of confused by the wizards, sporting extra units in the underground costing valuable stash. It is a map, where you always can spot something interesting to do, there's plenty of good spots and always difficult to navigate, why it gains elements of an exploratoria.
something tells me swolte is a very experienced mp/aow gamer, expansion is tough and everything around you is heavily guarded - you fail your first expedition means you'll hafta build up a whole army again. I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie.
On the other side of the coin I would definitely recommend it to a newbie, because of the lack of use of magic.

Balance: 3
I don't care jack about balance. If I'm less fortune than my opponents, there will only be more "black wind fire and steel" as I slay them or become slaughtered.

Creativity: 4
iluv the carribean theme. i found some jovial tunes from chrono trigger for soundtrack. indeed pleasant with a Themed scenario!luvluv

Map Design: 4
see creativity. there is a little too much cavernwall hack which doesn't at all times feel necessary, since it distorts some sprites. yet it is very well used on a couple of places, the harbor and the ravins come to mind. the design has also been a great 2vs2 map to play - you are never far from your enemies still can't see them through the thick jungle unless you scout out through the forests (which I haven't been able to yet, spent two gobbo armies trying to kill a firecat as usual). Oh, the use of multiple terraintiles to produce a wholeness of jungle must be mentioned as well.

Story/Instructions: 3
i kinda hate pimpjuice wizards who hang out with nymphs. i kinda dislike the idea of having the only women in war being dependent on their sex or on specific "female" abilities. however, the story, except the nymphothing, is nothing more and nothing less than what could be expected. If i had made the map, i'd been rolling the story up by turn-triggered message events that way, the player is slowly woven into the situation and the story, rather than requiring of the player to actively go read the story.

Additional Comments:
I had a great time with the map when not waiting for the firestorms to end.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0