Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: Yes
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 8
# of players: 3
Skill Level: Advanced
Password Protected: Yes
This is an XL map which will probably take between 200 and 400 days to finish. 2 archon wizards and a halfling wizard will need to work together fighting against powerful armies from 5 evil wizards which have their own plans for recreating this realm from the ashes. The evil approaches and this might be your greatest challenge yet.

Map is balanced quite well for multiplayer... the halfling wizard is in a more defensive position and the archon wizards are closer to the front lines.
Map is password protected for the first 30 days... then the password will be revealed inside this forums community.

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
cyancurve
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions1.0
Playability: 3
(Insert Playability analysis here)

Balance: 3
(Insert Balance analysis here)

Creativity: 2
(Insert Creativity analysis here)

Map Design: 3
(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Story/Instructions: 1
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:

Dont feel much exciting playing this map. Stopped at turn 70 after finding item forge is disable and map is password protected. The center or the map looks like the center of AI. Some units keep popping up but I cant find an entrance to it, then I realize this is on of the so called *tricky* map but it fails to setup any hints to tell how to get into it. Personally, I dont like this sort of path finding map. Also, it is a good idea to use the RMG to generate map, however, the map represents something I hate about RMG. Too much blanks on the map. I want every inch of the map with something. Generally speaking, this map needs a bit more work before it can become an enoyable experience.
NTJedi
File Author
cynacurve...
This is my first map and it is designed to be very difficult so don't feel bad that you died on day_70. Because the map will take so long to finish only one town has the item forge... otherwise gamers can exploit this feature. The map is password protected to hide events, items and other things inside the game... those looking to cheat will have to wait for the password. Anyone can look at the design of the map by taking exploration off... there is no reason to go into the editor before playing this map.

THIS MAP IS VERY DIFFICULT... those that survive will have very high level heroes.
cyancurve No...I didnt die on day 70. Ok, lets make it a bit more clear. I chose Tempest, the rest AI are all on Emporer. I easily defeated the dark evles up north and took their towns. From there on, it was a ride. I almost controled half of the map without any serious challenge! Then I found item forge was disable after wizzard tower III is built(big let down, I love item forge!). Anyway, gather some killer armies but cant find the a way into the center of the map, no hints to tell me how to get into it. No events at all! I havent met a single event! I dont like puzzle maps(possibly influented by Civ3), then I stopped playing. Also, there are only a few sites/cities on the this XL map. Maybe my expectation is too high?
Difficult map is good, but it got to be filled with content and stuff to be fun to play. I think you have a good start, just need to give a big more hints to the player how to progress this game and please...put more stuff on the map.

[Edited on 09/29/03 @ 05:40 AM]

NTJedi
File Author
cyancurve...

One town does have the item forge which is already built... hitting the reflecting pools will show its location. Because the map will take so long to finish only one town has the item forge... otherwise gamers can exploit this feature. Most maps are almost done by day 70... this is not most maps and will take an average of 200 - 400 days to finish for those lucky enough to survive. The map purposely has only a few cities which in combination with the maps design makes it more difficult.
Finding a way to destroy your enemies in the middle of the map is a mystery. Your enemies have hidden the paths to their main cities so it won't be easy... and unlike a tutorial no paths are provided.
Events which target the players and Stuff on the map is not the purpose of the map... no rpg or storyline here. The map is designed to provide a challenge against great odds as swarms of evil opponents which have hidden wizards. The design is just trying to survive... then finding and destroying the undead.

MOST players will not be able to win this game... it is simply a test of strategic skill.
vessicator
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance1.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions1.0
Playability: 1

Balance: 1

Creativity: 2

Additional Comments:
Probably one of the worst maps I have played. I totally agree with cyancurve with respect to his comments. At turn 95, all of my units are deserting even with good morale, WTF*ck. Is this a bug in the game or in the map. How come my so called allies do not build any level 4 creatures? The five enemy wizards do. Did you give all the enemy wizards all the death domain spells and mastery at the beginnig of the game? Yeah, thats fair. I feel that I've wasted my time on this map. The name that you gave (Survival) should be changed to (Masochist).
NTJedi
File Author
If your units are deserting you then you are not managing your races correctly or you are out of money... that's not a bug or anything I have done.

Level_4 creatures...
The map needs to be balanced for human players... which means I cannot supply them with the TONZ of gold your enemies have which allows them to build LeveL_4. That's nothing I can control without making the map UNBALANCED.

Most enemy wizards start with Domain-of-Darkness... but that's about it.

As I have written earlier about this map: MOST players will not be able to win this game... it is simply a test of strategic skill.
Seeds
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 5
This map is for players that like to play against incredible odds. Like Allanon, in Terry Brooks "Elfstones of Shannara", you are in charge of an elite army that defends their territory against uncountable foes.

Balance: 3
In the author's Description, NTJedi wrote this map is well balanced for MULTIPLAYER. Single players beware, use every trick you have learned against the AI. Your computer won't call you cheesy, it will just keep sending 3rd & 4th level units to crush you.

Creativity: 4
The map uses the tried and true way to beef up the AI, give it craploads more resources than the player.

Map Design: 5
As Cyancurve points out, it can use a little polish, but it keeps the player from amassing enough strength that they can forget about strategy.

Story/Instructions: 3
There is no story and the instructions are simple kill or be killed.

Additional Comments:
The points above are arbitrary, the scenario deserves IMHO an overall rating of 4. This is the type of map I like to play, it is not for everyone.

Single players will be fighting an uphill battle well past day 150. Keep in mind what your enemy will throw against you, for the most part Dark Elves, Orcs, Shadow Demons and Undead 3rd & 4th level units. The two races you can count on are Archons and Halflings, other races seem to be random.
Remember computer controlled allies can't be relied upon to protect you.

My empire was overrun before the 200th day. At the height of its glory, I had command of 8 cities; 5 with wizard towers, 2 with teleporters and all with strong garrison defenders. My killer stack comprised of 3 heroes (8-12th level loaded with magic items and enchantments), an angel, 2 engineers, a sheriff and a titan on their way to take "its so cold it burns" from a foolish enemy hero. I had a steady income of 500 gold and 85 manna per turn when disaster struck. Death mastery really sucks when combined with darkland, fire domain, and a few forge blasts. Really should have built those forcefields and researched disjunction. Oh well, I will start a new empire tonight and be victorious, or go to bed whimpering again.
cyancurve Seed,

glad you enjoy some difficult map:). If at day 200, you only have hero of level 8-12, then you wont have chance to win any of difficult map. FYI, at day 70, I already had an hero of level 14. A tip for quickly leveling at early stage is: put one of your heroes arround the center of this map, gear him/her with the best item you find/trade, accompany him/her with monks/priest or any healing unit(my synron hero freed an angel early, so they make a perfect couple:)), trade/research healing spell. Now there soon will be some AI units keep popping up, just kill them. You healing spell or healing unit will keep your hero survive, and he/she will level like no tomorrow. This map wasnt really that difficult. I simply dont like the fact that I have to do puzzle solving thing and those one way teleporting. The map is pretty dry itself. If you want a beatiful and difficult map, go and play Athendore II.

vessicator,

As NTJedi said, you need to manage your race relations. Thumb of the rule, dont mix units with aligment one step away. e.g.
pure good/neutral
pure evil/neutral
evil/good

Migrate city when it is needed. Go to your wizzard profile, it will tell you your race relationship to other races.
celestial5150
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 5

Balance: 4

Creativity: 3

Story/Instructions: 2

Additional Comments:

This map isn't all that difficult for the veteran players. Sure, yer up against the tide of darkness, but AI is stupid. Just do/remember the following if you play by yerself:

- Avenger is > than all death units. An avenger + weakness = dead Dread Reaper
- Disjunct stuff like poison/fire domain and damnation b4 you go on the offensive against Meandor/Nekron.
- Kill Meandor/Nekron's heros early
- Mass confusion is your best friend
- Hint: Pick up bind summons

I went with fire/death and took over Vorsar's position, wacked the orc guy off the surface early and captured the city in the lower left corner of the map, and held potty port, and built nothing but avengers out of that place. I took Vorsar's place because they almost ALWAYS send all their units my way. I held the bridge with 10 avengers, 2 chariots, 2 heros, and 2 dragons I raised, against everything both of them sent at me. They managed to sneak past me once and attacked potty port with 6 BHs 2 succubi and 2 DRs, didn't stand a chance vs 8 avengers and 2 repeater ballistas, and one well placed MC.

Once I had an army of Titans and pegasuses (like 3 stacks worth) I went on the offensive and mopped them up. Without any worthwhile heros, their troops are just cannon fodder.

Overall, a decent map.
cap708g
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance1.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions1.0
Playability: 4

Balance: 1

Creativity: 5

Map Design: 5

Additional Comments:

Don't listen to the complaints, NTJedi. Your map is awesome. Kept me playing all weekend. There is nothing balanced about it and that's just fine. For the first time in a long time I almost got my ass kicked by the AI. Good job.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.7
Balance2.7