Map Size: M
Levels: 2
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 6
# of players: 6
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: No
This map attempts to fix a problem I've encountered with the Age of Wonders series;
there are little or no maps made for 3 players!

Originally planned as a blank template, I started filling things in out of habit... when suddenly I realized how far I had gotten!

It was placed on hold for a while (READ: 'long time'), as I dedicated all of my time in creating a mod for AoW2. Now that that project is finished, I'm starting to revisit my vast collection of unfinished maps.

This map is designed for either 3 or 6 players, and works well as a free for all (with 6 humans or 3 humans and 3 ai wizards), or set up with 2 teams of 3 (surface neutrals vs underground evils), or 3 teams of 2 (1 neutral and evil per team) . You will find an abundance of scripts, and hopefully some will put a smile on your face! ; ) I tried to keep the feel of this map light-hearted.... its terrain is very 'fantasy', which would have clashed with a 'gritty, deep-realism' feel. It is also the most symetrical map I've ever done. I usually fight symetry, but as I mentioned before, this map was started as a template for others to fill in, and this template had a very strong, purposeful placement of relays and wizard towers, which easily leads down the symetrical road!

Anyway, enough of my rambling!

Why don't you just start playing, exploring, and enjoying, already! ; )

-GreenMonster

*updated august 25, 2004*

* Sim changed from merchant to war mage - His excess gold was causing imbalances in team games.
* Maz changed from summoner to enchanter - summoner is too imbalancing in SM on this map where domains spread everywhere.
* wizards all given a description, and a new skill.
* some heroes were added and edited.
* a few tweaks to the tigran starting units and lands, to get rid of the unfair advantage they had at reaching the center of the map first.
* resource guardians ALL now have mountaineering, floating, or flying, so no more unguarded resource piles.
* some scripts to make the elemental guardians more interesting - they now respawn elsewhere when killed!
* the spirit of magic is now much more aware of what happens to his precious magical relays - raze them at your own risk! (this is to prevent players from easily eliminating the 'winning condition' of owning all 6 relays to win the game)
* mana piles along the tunnels are more valuable, to increase flow into these areas.
* watchtower guards in the tunnels have also been decreased in power and numbers to also encourage flow.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
bigben34
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
(Insert Playability analysis here)

Balance: 5
(Insert Balance analysis here)

Creativity: 5
(Insert Creativity analysis here)

Map Design: 5
(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Story/Instructions: 5
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Although symmetrical, the scenery is quite nice and the strategic creativity is very cool. Battles will break out very soon. This should be a great substitute for any 3 or 6 player multiplayer game.
Horza666
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0

Creativity: 4

Story/Instructions: 4

Additional Comments:

A fun map to play and a unique balancing !
Very good for Teamgames !
King David
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
(Insert Playability analysis here)

(Insert Balance analysis here)

(Insert Creativity analysis here)

(Insert Map Design analysis here)

(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:

Greenmonster's trademark is the non-traditional design, and he spends a lot of time studying his own maps until he has achieved a unique and superior playability. He balances his maps by taking into account individual race and allignment characteristics, and his maps are best played by all-human players. This is a great map for six players, and will play differently every time, depending upon the styles of each player. This is a thinking-person's map, and like his "A River Ran Through It", one of the great maps for AOWSM PBEM or multi-play.
Doerden
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
The map was fun to play
Balance: 4
All starting races are equally developed but playing the map is easy to win.Maybe that's because i played it in a three Vs three game.
Creativity: 3

The map design was really nice and when i saw it in the editor it was one of the reasons i played this scenario
not much of a story but not bad either.

Additional Comments:

Generally i think it was a good job and it would be better if the scenario was more difficult and if it had more items to find.
Evil Roc
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Map has very good (re)playability. It's fun to play and each race offer some different possibilities.

Seems very well balanced (the only issue is a bit overpowered items in the central watchtower, IMO some players have better possibilities to get them. Turn order matters much also, which is not very good.)

Concept and design is original, many scripts that spice up gameplay.

Map Design: 4
Good design. Everything seems in place.

Story/Instructions: 3
Lack of storyline for multiplayer map is not an issue, but lack of hints about various scripts and their effects is sometimes annoying.

Additional Comments:

Very good map for multiplayer games. Requires good skill to play it realy well and to use it's features. Also you have to play it several times or(and) carefuly examine scripts in editor to catch up with all possible events. Some more hints could help in that aspect.
Timelord
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
A map that is not traditionally balanced but is balanced nonetheless. Though wizards have their own advantages, many of these can be nullified/increased/turned around through events. This makes the map especially interesting.

The symmetrical nature of the map is in no way evident inside the game (except around the central area on the surface) and the various paths one can take to reach a wizard are done well.

A lot of diversity and some cool events (like the Great Drain).

Two things that probably need attention to -
- the items at the centre. Turn advantage plays a huge advantage in getting these items and they are overly powerful. New players on this map will quickly lose interest. Maybe a message at the start (or near the watchtower) will make all players aware of these items. Also giving all protections/strikes on items that can be picked up at the same locations is a bit unbalancing. Perhaps one on top and one underground?.
- A lot of the events are in no way evident. So, a person who plays this map has to take a careful look in the editor before playing - something which takes away from the game.

But once you play it a couple of times and play with people who have already played it, it offers good strategical choices and great fun!!

rat_peddler Nice map. Interesting design. Maybe a fresh comment will draw some new interest. Current ratings seem accurate!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.7
Balance4.7
Creativity4.5