Map Size: L
Levels: 2
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: Yes
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: No
# of Wizards: 7
# of players: 6
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: No
First off, many thanks to Swolte and Greenmonster for their comments and general help with the map.

This Map is dedicated to the Cult Of The Six. They know who they are, and if you play the map, you may or may not run across them ;)

Preface

...and so as the ebb and flow of the tide does wear eternally away at the shore, so does the war among the races wear eternally away at the foundations of all of civilization, and whereas new sands do make their way forth to fill in the void left before them, so do new leaders emerge to claim the lands which before them lay empty, and unto them do becken.

And so now behold, 6 Wizards emerge, two each from three of those great lands which do comprise the Kingdom of David, 6 Wizards, meritorius all of the right to claim as his own these new lands and so insure the survival of his race and in this way rise to the status of King Of All Creatures.

And yet there is among the six, a seventh Wizard, already come to lay claim to the Land, and this Wizard is a master of the Sphere of Fire, his armies aloft upon the wings of dragons, and this Wizard calls himself "The King" and as he spreads his wings laughing from the height of the third story of his tower, he proclaims,

THIS LAND IS MY LAND
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Webusver Though I didn't play the scenario yet, I want to encourage everybody who are not afraid of huge-sized maps to download this one. The landscape was painted with real love. It was very pleasant to investigate it in the editor. Also there are lots of events so I hope that playability will be very interesting.
Good Luck!
greenmonster
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
while only 10 or so turns in on a PBEM game test, I'm finding myself very engrossed in this map, itching for my next turn... that's a sign of great playability!

Balance: 5
This is very tough to judge, considering I have only come across 1 other human player and the AI wizard. In the past this has been the weakest part of KD's initial map releases, but through conversations with the other players, it seems to be quite even at this point, across the board. It seems that now that he has started playing a few more PBEM games, his feel for balance has greatly increased! ;)

the AI Wizard, who is very powerful (but not overly so to make this a co-op map) allows the players to possibly gain an edge over other players if their skills against the AI are better then the rest of the players. This is a GOOD thing; Too many maps do not allow for this, so even the best of players stay on relative even ground with the not-so-good ones.

Creativity: 5
As always, KD shines in this area. A true wordsmith with a nice bit of wit and humour, and an excess amount of creativity, KD's maps are always highly entertaining. The wizard's backgrounds are great, and I love that they all come from other KD maps.

Map Design: 5
What can I say but that this map is simply gorgeous!
Great use of special editor tricks, a great layout, and great flow. Part of the reason I can't wait for my next turn is that I want to see more of the beautiful landscape! Of course, thats probably harming my competitive game, as I'm sending units all over just to peel back the fogs of war!

Story/Instructions: 5
ok, so if this was a SP map, which needs to rely on a good story and plot, my rating would be lower. As [i]some [/i] people fail to understand, a multiplayer map does not need it... anything given is icing on the cake, and KD offers alot of icing! While the map story is cliche (but lets face it, the game forces mapmakers down those well traveled roads about powerful wizards duking it out for control of something), each wizard has a good background story.
There are many signs that breath life into the lands, and a few that make you chuckle. Some of the scripted events are revealed through other signs; for example, 'step on this master relay to control all of the other relays in the realm'. There are perhaps too many redundant road signs, but my tastes run towards the conservative on these anyway (I personally see humans posting a bunch of signs, but will undead or elves or demons, or nomads?)

Additional Comments:

This review is based on a quick peak in the editor, on a beta release, and only about 10 turns as the frostlings. That said, I still have a great feel of how this map plays in a PBEM game, and I highly recommend it. Kudos, KD! Your best work to date, and that is saying alot!
greenmonster *update*

I've now made contact with all human players after about 15-20 turns, and all but 1 of us are 'average'.

the one who isn't is also admittably a weaker player then the rest of us though, so the balance is looking dead on at this point.
scottyu
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Very fun to play and you could probably finish it in a day or two. Just a great scenario to play with.

It was balanced.

Great map.. I dont remember it too well since I played it a few days ago and played some others. But it was good eough for me to register on this site just so I come back and write a review.

Awesome.

Additional Comments:
Great scenario. Thanks a lot for providing it.
King David
File Author
Thanks a lot for the comment, scottyu :) I appreciate you taking the time to register and leave your review!
The_Stranger
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
This is a beautiful map. Clearly, a lot of effort was put into the scenery and landscape. It's fun simply to explore and see what new places and signs the map maker has placed. I would give the map design a 6 if I could!

I've played Goblins and Elves on the map, and both seem to have an equally fair chance. If I try some of the other races, I will update this area, but so far everything seems nicely balanced.

I would really like to try this scenario on the internet or by email...but so far have only been able to use it in single player mode. As such, my only quibble would be that the King is more of a distraction than a ruler. Perhaps this was the map maker's intention, though. As it is, I find that the King does not add the compelling, challenging element to gameplay that I had anticipated. It was pretty easy to depose him.

As with all King David's scenario's, the story is well written, although a bit terse compared to other scenarios :-)

In summary, I would recommend this detailed, visually appealing map to anyone interested in enjoying an excellent single player scenario. I would also like to try in in multiplayer if anyone is interested. Let me know by email:

bradjosse@xtra.co.nz

greenmonster to 'the stranger' - I would agree that in a SP game, the King is a wuss. He is also a bit weak in a multiplayer game, BUT what that does is get the players more involved in fighting for the center, bringing them into conflict sooner, so it works well in this reguard.

also, if you are looking for a PBEM game on this map, I'm sure you could start one easily by posting in the PBEM forums. ;)
Evil Roc
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
I'm already in 3 PBEM games on it and I'm sure I will participate in more!

So far positions of all wizards look well balanced.

Very high, you can expect it from KD :)

Landscape is beautiful, there is lots of places to see and it is not overloaded with to many things that is good to (I've seen maps where there were just to many landscape objects everywhere). This one has nearly perfect balance between beauty and usability.

Good for multiplayer/PBEM map. If it was SP oriented this score would be lower.

Additional Comments:
Very good map that is played often already and will be one of the most often played custom maps for PBEM I guess! Great work!
Timelord
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
A great map to play - following the tradition of Race to Death. I am playing in PBEMs as three of the players and have played in SP as two of the others and it surely looks balanced.

Creativity and Design, as always are excellent. A big improvement over RtD, giving all players access to the King via multiple paths.

The Story is not as complete as I expected it to be - the King is not mentioned at all in-game except for the first 2 messages at the start. Although it is a multiplayer map, I did expect a lot more in terms of stories and history in-game, especially after the message at the Start. Guess I am spoiled by the RtD experiences.

Great work KD!!
Kzaar
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
This map is full of quests. It's one of the best maps for AoW: SM.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.8
Balance4.8