The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Atzy

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Pirates of the Caribbean Mafia - Game Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 17  Next Page »
posted 03-18-08 00:04 AM EDT (US)   

In an age of swashbuckling, daring, and buccaneering, there are pirates. Not the most savory of characters, they were still, some deep, deep, deep down, good people. They ruled the seas, and established Pirate Realms. However, for long, the Pirate Realms have been weakening, and the British gaining control. The Pirates - and the British - converged on the Pirates near Shipwreck Cove, but Davy Jones has also come, and wishes now to destroy Jack Sparrow and his crew, and the British who wish to control him. The ships were taken by him to the depths, where many died, but some went unscathed, alive, to Davy Jones' locker - hiding on the Flying Dutchman herself. Now they've taken back their own ships, and it's a fight to the death. The magic of the locker, though, prevents the separated pirates from recognizing friend from foe. It's up to you now. Who's British? Who's of the Dutchman? And who's pirate?

Time: Day 7

Alive:
1. Rot (Barbossa - Pirate Captain/Role Changer [orig: Town] - SK)

Dead:
1. Vault Dweller (Mercer - British Mafia)
2. Sargon (Mullroy - British Mafia)
3. Out Reach (Executioner - SK)
4. Redus (Davy Jones - Davy Jones's Crew)
5. Blatant (Murtogg - Role Changer [orig: Mafia] - Town)
6. Normandy (Cutler Beckett - British Mafia)
7. EoJ (Pintel - Cop/Mason - Town)
8. Catabre (Jimmylegs - Davy Jones's Crew)
9. Shanks (Maccus - Davy Jones's Crew)
10. RCM7525 (Elizabeth Turner - Pirate Captain - Town)
11. The Wanderer (Clanker - Davy Jones's Crew)
12. Aeneas (Ragetti - Doctor/Mason - Town)
13. Jax (Bootstrap Bill - Role Changer [orig: Mafia] - Davy Jones's Crew)
14. TimmySpok (William Turner - Pirate Captain - Town)
15. Avid (Norrington - Role Changer [orig: Mafia] - British Mafia)
16. Dunc' (Sao Feng - Vigilante - Town)
17. Calenraug (Tia Dalma/Calypso - Sorceress (revives people) - Town)
18. B3A57 (Gibbs - Roleblocker - Town)
19. FoO (Jack Sparrow - Jack of all Trades/Role Changer [orig: Town] - British Mafia)
20. Banned (Teague - Iron Noble Limited Vig - Town)
2. Sails (Jack the Monkey - Thief - Town)

The Code:

• Do not edit your posts - double post if necessary. Once is fine, though a mod will be asked to read your edit history. but if it happens multiple times, you may be mod-killed.
  • The first two people to edit their posts will not be automatically modkilled. However, Teague can kill them in the night if so he wishes.
  • Do not reveal any information after your character has died.
  • This game is closed communication - talk within this thread only, unless your role specifically states otherwise.
  • No talking/strategizing during the night, unless your role specifically states otherwise.
  • Follow HG's CoC
  • During the day, players can vote to lynch. To cast your vote type Vote: Name. Be sure to bold it!
  • If you change your vote, type Unvote: Name before your new vote.
  • If a person wishes to do so, they may post "Parley" when they are one vote away from being lynched. This post must be made within 7 hours of the second to last vote being posted. Doing so will grant you immunity from being lynched that day. However, if someone by mistake ignores the post and votes for that person, they can be killed by Teague that night. The next day, if you use parley, you start off with half the number of required votes. These votes are considered anonymous, and anyone else can vote for you. You may use parley once in a game.
  • If you quote the mod, Teague may kill you the next night.
  • If a player is inactive or doesn't post for two days, they are considered to have fallen behind. Thus, they must be left behind. Teague may kill that person the next night.
  • Some characters can change sides. These characters are either inherently mafia or town. They must decide what they wish to be Night 2. They may wait as long as they wish but not past Night 2. They cannot die in the night until they choose their side, but can be lynched. If they choose to switch sides, they cannot reveal the members of their mafia group, if they were in one. Doing so gets them an auto modkill. I will trust all of you to be good.

My email: ash.win.13@hotmail.com

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!

[This message has been edited by Arvedui (edited 04-20-2008 @ 10:14 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-18-08 00:07 AM EDT (US)     1 / 413  
As all settled in their ships and around the small island where they had come out, night started to fall. It was then that they realized, whoever won the battles, would get out. Each prayed it would be them, and they hoped to destroy the others. Quietly, all fell asleep, hoping none of them would die that night.

It is Night 0.
Send night actions to ash.win.13@hotmail.com
48 Hours until Day 1

|
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
posted 03-18-08 08:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 413  
In the dark of the night, two figures bumped into each other. Heading toward Aeneas's cabin, they halted. Not knowing who they were, a silent bond of trust lay between them. But just as they reached the cabin, one of them was repelled backwards into the wall, and he lay there unconscious, only to get up hours before the others awoke. The other continued on...

As the pirates and the British awoke, all seemed fine. They dined, together, not being able to see who was who, each face clouded. It was until they were done eating that they noticed that some of their member was missing. Vault Dweller (Mercer - British Mafia) was no where in sight, so the pirates and the British went to his meager cabin. There he lay, dead. The sight was grotesque, all over his body were tentacle wounds, and clams still lay there. They then found Banned User in his cabin, unshaken from the events of the previous night. A piece of bloody rope lay in a corner, the only evidence of the attack. Aeneas sat alone under a tree, nursing a small gun wound on his knee. It was not harmful, but it had revealed his face. They knew who Aeneas (Ragetti - Doctor/Mason - Town) was. TimmySpok walked on the beach, a look of distrust on his face. He claimed to have been attacked but had repelled the attacker. EoJ, the last they looked for, had a gun shot wound and a slash of a sword on his shoulder. However, he also had bandages on his wounds. For some odd reason, it looked, however, as though the bandages had been put much later, and not save him from death, but to nurse him back to health. He had anyway survived.

Only one lay dead, and, slightly thankful, the pirates and the hidden British gathered around to work and talk and discuss... and to seek out.

It is Day 1.
Send day actions to ash.win.13@hotmail.com
72 Hours until Night 1
More if there is good discussion.

|

[This message has been edited by Arvedui (edited 03-18-2008 @ 08:37 PM).]

posted 03-18-08 09:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 413  
The sheer amount of injuries make me believe that a lot of people may have killing roles with a certain % chance of failure. Failure would cause an injury. It's a theory, anyway.

Dagorhir Battlegames-- A full contact medieval combat battle game

Varangia-- A viking unit in the Aratari chapter of Dagorhir

Winner-- OD Idol 2009
posted 03-18-08 10:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 413  
Well, isn't that just awesome. I *finally* get to be a really cool role and I'm almost certainly dead on night 1.
The sight was grotesque, all over his body were tentacle wounds, and clams still lay there.
So, we have someone who makes messy kills and probably uses tentacles of some sort. I have only seen glimpses of the movies, but I seem to recall some weird dead captain that reminds me of tentacles (the name escapes me). Might he be a mafia (along with his crew) or simply an SK?
Aeneas sat alone under a tree, nursing a small gun wound on his knee. It was not harmful, but it had revealed his face. They knew who Aeneas (Ragetti - Doctor/Mason - Town) was.
So we have someone whose attack reveals the attacked's role?
The sheer amount of injuries make me believe that a lot of people may have killing roles with a certain % chance of failure. Failure would cause an injury. It's a theory, anyway.
Maybe.

Those apparently attacked:
Vault - dead
Banned - "unshaken"
Aeneas - attacked but not fatally so; role revealed
Timmy - unharmed
EoJ - attacked, but survived and then healed by doctor (me)

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
posted 03-18-08 10:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 413  
That's a lot of attacking going on! I'm scared.

EE forever
posted 03-18-08 11:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 413  
Almost certainly there are 2 mafias here...

Player of The Lord of the Rings Online.
Server: Vilya
Name: Maegbor
posted 03-19-08 00:41 AM EDT (US)     7 / 413  
Oh poo. Ah well, good game
posted 03-19-08 01:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 413  
So, we have someone who makes messy kills and probably uses tentacles of some sort. I have only seen glimpses of the movies, but I seem to recall some weird dead captain that reminds me of tentacles (the name escapes me). Might he be a mafia (along with his crew) or simply an SK?
Thats almost certainly Davy Jones. It's also probably the kraken who's doing the killing.

I think we should start by pressuring Sargon.

Vote: Sargon.

Redus
Bfme2h|HWH|HG main|Redus' blog
Winner of the best post in the 2007 Bfme2H awards, because I had the only nomination.
So this is how freedom dies, to a round of applause.
+1-Drakontos
posted 03-19-08 01:52 AM EDT (US)     9 / 413  
EoJ was also probably targeted by the British mafia but was saved by Aeneas.

Redus
Bfme2h|HWH|HG main|Redus' blog
Winner of the best post in the 2007 Bfme2H awards, because I had the only nomination.
So this is how freedom dies, to a round of applause.
+1-Drakontos
posted 03-19-08 02:03 AM EDT (US)     10 / 413  
It's Davy Jones. If anyone has watched PotC 3, you'll know that Jones killed Mercer by sticking his tentacles into his head and suffocating him/crushing his brain.

posted 03-19-08 02:08 AM EDT (US)     11 / 413  
That's a lot of attacking going on!
Quite... Five attacks, one success. Five groups or individuals out for blood.
I think we should start by pressuring Sargon.
Fair enough, I've no better ideas.

Vote: Sargon

posted 03-19-08 02:41 AM EDT (US)     12 / 413  
There is also the possibility of mercy kills. EoJ, for example, stated that he wouldn't be able to play due to being gone for a bit, and that Arvy should probably replace him.

However, the sheer amount of near-death surprises me. It appears we have six killing roles at least, which is offset by iron abilities and docs and roleblockers.

Luckily, it appears the mafia took the only hit last night.

So, let's see. We're pressuring Sargon on...nothing. But then, a random vote is often the way to begin day 1. However, before we do, I just want to look over the main post, namely because there may be hints (last I remember, Arvy is a host that leaves us clues in his write ups).
In the dark of the night, two figures bumped into each other. Heading toward Aeneas's cabin, they halted. Not knowing who they were, a silent bond of trust lay between them. But just as they reached the cabin, one of them was repelled backwards into the wall, and he lay there unconscious, only to get up hours before the others awoke. The other continued on...
Alright, so two people targetted Aeneas. That much is clear. Further, one was roleblocked (or something along those lines). Which means that if the roleblocker is pro-town, the roleblocker knows the identity of a killer. Problem, of course, is that there might be more than one roleblocker in a game of this size with roles this complex.
As the pirates and the British awoke, all seemed fine. They dined, together, not being able to see who was who, each face clouded. It was until they were done eating that they noticed that some of their member was missing.
Well, that lays our a basis for the game. Pirates are good guys, British are bad guys. It's a start.
Vault Dweller (Mercer - British Mafia) was no where in sight, so the pirates and the British went to his meager cabin. There he lay, dead. The sight was grotesque, all over his body were tentacle wounds, and clams still lay there.
Alright, so he was targetted by Davy Jones for sure. Whether he is a serial killer or a separate mafia is yet to be known. Clams might be a hint, but I don't see where it might lead.
They then found Banned User in his cabin, unshaken from the events of the previous night. A piece of bloody rope lay in a corner, the only evidence of the attack.
Clearly Banned is iron. Too lazy to think of a role that might match that. The bloody rope is probably our hint, but again, I don't see where it leads.
Aeneas sat alone under a tree, nursing a small gun wound on his knee. It was not harmful, but it had revealed his face. They knew who Aeneas (Ragetti - Doctor/Mason - Town) was.
Well, aside from us being on ships where there aren't trees, this is quite unfortunate. It would appear that the attack on Aeneas failed (evidenced by the gun wound that didn't kill him). It is unfortunate because our doctor is now revealed and would have been a hard lynch being a mason. The tree might be our hint here, I'm not certain.
TimmySpok walked on the beach, a look of distrust on his face. He claimed to have been attacked but had repelled the attacker.
Also probably iron, or possibly another roleblocker that roleblocked his own killer. The beach is our clue here. This is one of the only clues I get anything from (mainly because I don't know the list of players well enough yet). This clue may point towards Sails.
EoJ, the last they looked for, had a gun shot wound and a slash of a sword on his shoulder. However, he also had bandages on his wounds. For some odd reason, it looked, however, as though the bandages had been put much later, and not save him from death, but to nurse him back to health. He had anyway survived.
It would appear that this was either another failed attack or another iron player. Notice, however, that with Banned, there is little to know evidence of attack, whereas with Aeneas and EoJ, they are wounded. Not seeing any clues here.

Now I need you guys to analyze the clues I am trying to pull out, as I am too lazy to do so myself.

FoS: GoSailing

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
posted 03-19-08 02:57 AM EDT (US)     13 / 413  
Alright, I went over the player list a few times, and I came up with this:

Friend of Old could be indicated in the two figures bumping into each other and have this bond of trust.

Normandy (or possible The Wanderer) could be indicated in Timmy walking on a beach.

The rope might be indicative of Out Reach.

Shanks could be indicated by the slash wounds on EoJ.

This is all for now.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
posted 03-19-08 06:26 AM EDT (US)     14 / 413  
Will be putting thoughts down as they come to me, so my posts may be somewhat disjointed.
Possible. I'm going to rule out a shedload of iron townies, because strong mafia or no, a load of unkillable townies is always as good as a load of unkillable townies. It's entirely possible, of course, that either Arvy just wrote a load of flavour text for no-ones benefit, or that any night action taken results in an "injury" on that player.
Might he be a mafia (along with his crew) or simply an SK?
Don't think I'm going too much out on a limb when I say it's almost certain he leads a pirate mafia, and that we have a British mafia as well.
So we have someone whose attack reveals the attacked's role?
Seems a little odd that someone has a chance of killing a person or revealing their role. What would be the point in that? It doesn't really benefit the attacker, since any killer doesn't give a fig about the role at the time of submitting, and it pretty much only harms the town. I think it's more likely we have someone whose investigation results are made public, and as such I'd ask them to be almost as careful as a vig in their target picking.
Which means that if the roleblocker is pro-town, the roleblocker knows the identity of a killer. Problem, of course, is that there might be more than one roleblocker in a game of this size with roles this complex.
Not neccesarily. Looking into the flavour text is all very well, but looking into it and expecting it to work as an actual story where people see what you'd expect is unhelpful. I doubt the roleblocker also learns the role of whomever he blocks (although if he does, revealing his identity in exchange for lynching a scum member is a fair trade off).
Pirates are good guys, British are bad guys. It's a start.
Says who? We have a kill that was definately done by Davy Jones. While it's possible Jones is under control of the British (a la the films), it's also possible we have an evil pirates facion.
Clearly Banned is iron.
Again, says who? The flavour text mearly mentioned people heading toward Aeneas cabin (yes bizarrely he survived), and doesn't directly mention anyone attacking Banned. This is why I don't like looking into flavour text too much - should we take it that Banned was attacked, or that he attacked someone else with the rope? Either I Banned should say something here. A claim of Iron Townie has already fallen into his lap, so I want to here him confirm or deny it.
Also probably iron, or possibly another roleblocker that roleblocked his own killer.
I'm inclined to say he was helped by another rather than being outright Iron. I've already said why I don't like the idea of a ton of Iron townies - the mafia could be armed with nukes, but if there's a ton of iron townies around (especially Iron Townies that can have their roles verified by the flavour text, thus removing the one weakness they have) the mafia are still in a tough position.
lright, I went over the player list a few times, and I came up with this:
I like this. It also smells of Arvy. If we're ever empty, I have absolutely no problem with going down this avenue of investigation.

For now: Vote: Banned

No idea where the vote for Sargon came from, so I'll ignore that until someone backs it up, especially considering the wealth of information we've been given. I want Banned to affirm if he is indeed an Iron Townie or not. I'm always going to be suspicous of him if he does, but for now it'd be nice to set him aside.

Once Banned has spoken, my next port of call would be Timmy - I just can't see their being a slew of Iron Townies, but it is possible we have high ranking Iron Mafia about. Either way I want to see if he knows what happened to him.

house won this
posted 03-19-08 08:24 AM EDT (US)     15 / 413  
I'm glad i'm not Aeneas2, with such an obvious role, he is going to need protection for the rest of the game...

Theres not much to go on so far... I think i'll wait for day 2, before i start voteing

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
posted 03-19-08 08:42 AM EDT (US)     16 / 413  
Seems that there are multiple killing roles balanced by the team of role-blockers, doctors, masons, etc, and there's definitely a possibility that there're a couple of mafias and a SK. Perhaps a cult even?

And I'll hold my vote, for now, til Day 2.

The soul now burns, these thoughts I churn.
To never have a brief sojourn.
Oh maiden Death! Please hear my plea!
Allieviate, my malady.
Engulf me now, to you I bow.
Embrace me now, your tears, my vow.
posted 03-19-08 10:14 AM EDT (US)     17 / 413  
Wow. Looks like I missed some gameplay. Vote: Sargon. Nothing personal sargon, just playing the game.

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
posted 03-19-08 10:35 AM EDT (US)     18 / 413  
I don't think there is any evidence for a cult, wanderer, especially with so many killing roles.

As far as what went on last night, I have no idea. I didn't get any email, so I only know what is in the night post. My guess is I either have an ability I don't know about (unlikely), a roleblocker/doc saved me, or as I suggested earlier and seems most likely to me somebody has a % chance of failure and failed on me.

Winner-- OD Idol 2009
posted 03-19-08 10:52 AM EDT (US)     19 / 413  
Looks like most people are voting for Sargon, so might as well.

Vote: Sargon

posted 03-19-08 01:08 PM EDT (US)     20 / 413  
This little bandwagon isn't going to stop unless I RC. I'm not complaining, as this is the game and my role is not incredibly important. I am a thief. I steal things from people at night, and it may reveal a little about them.

I stole from Out Reach last night. The item I stole was a Cutlass. I'm not sure what this may reveal, however.

Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos.
posted 03-19-08 01:09 PM EDT (US)     21 / 413  
I don't really like the clues of the identity theory, but it might work.
While it's possible Jones is under control of the British (a la the films), it's also possible we have an evil pirates facion.
Jones doesn't like the brits, nor will he likely listen to them in his locker.
Perhaps a cult even?
No. PoTC has little to no scope of an outright cult. However, the brits could possibly bribe to get someone to join them, and Jones conscript.

We've got to work out how to approach these change-sides roles if we encounter them before day 3 (EG, Jack, Will, Norrington?)- are they 'lynch straight away' as they're too much of a liability to the town? They might have some key information, though. Might

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 03-19-08 01:28 PM EDT (US)     22 / 413  
my role is not incredibly important. I am a thief. I steal things from people at night, and it may reveal a little about them.

I stole from Out Reach last night. The item I stole was a Cutlass. I'm not sure what this may reveal, however.
That's quite important- a kind of cop.

Cutless at least implies they're pirate (not british). NOt sure about Davy Jones, mind.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 03-19-08 01:39 PM EDT (US)     23 / 413  
And BTW, I am Pintel.

Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos.
posted 03-19-08 01:48 PM EDT (US)     24 / 413  
Not neccesarily. Looking into the flavour text is all very well, but looking into it and expecting it to work as an actual story where people see what you'd expect is unhelpful. I doubt the roleblocker also learns the role of whomever he blocks (although if he does, revealing his identity in exchange for lynching a scum member is a fair trade off).
I meant that the flavor text confirms that someone was roleblocked who intended to kill Aeneas. Thus, if we had only one roleblocker, that person knows who they roleblocked, and thus would know who intended to kill Aeneas.
Says who? We have a kill that was definately done by Davy Jones. While it's possible Jones is under control of the British (a la the films), it's also possible we have an evil pirates facion.
Jones is a possible mafia or a possible SK. Regardless, the basic concept is Pirates vs British. Jones is a third wheel, whether he be a separate mafia house or an SK.
Again, says who? The flavour text mearly mentioned people heading toward Aeneas cabin (yes bizarrely he survived), and doesn't directly mention anyone attacking Banned. This is why I don't like looking into flavour text too much - should we take it that Banned was attacked, or that he attacked someone else with the rope? Either I Banned should say something here. A claim of Iron Townie has already fallen into his lap, so I want to here him confirm or deny it.
Note the words "unshaken" and "the attack". In tandem, those two words imply that he was attacked and that the attack was ineffective.
No idea where the vote for Sargon came from, so I'll ignore that until someone backs it up, especially considering the wealth of information we've been given. I want Banned to affirm if he is indeed an Iron Townie or not. I'm always going to be suspicous of him if he does, but for now it'd be nice to set him aside.
I think it was a random vote. However, in past games, Arvy has left hints in the write ups. They are usually very cryptic though.
I don't think there is any evidence for a cult, wanderer, especially with so many killing roles.
One could consider the way Jones recruits as cultish. Jones could possibly be a cult killing group. If so, we may be in for some trouble.
Well, if what you say is true, Out Reach has a killing roll of sorts, and my be a pirate.
Jones doesn't like the brits, nor will he likely listen to them in his locker.
That, and I believe Jones killed a Brit last night.
No. PoTC has little to no scope of an outright cult. However, the brits could possibly bribe to get someone to join them, and Jones conscript.
Considering Jones' methods of increasing his crew, there is some prospect of cult.

posted 03-19-08 01:48 PM EDT (US)     25 / 413  
Thanks Sargon, I was just about to ask for your name.

Winner-- OD Idol 2009
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 17  Next Page »
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » Pirates of the Caribbean Mafia - Game Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: