You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Atzy

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Mafia - Game Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
posted 07-30-08 02:21 AM EDT (US)   

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul. Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

When the young hobbit Frodo inherits a mysterious ring from his uncle Bilbo, he is driven across the lands of Middle-earth to the Elven realm of Rivendell. There, he learns that the little ring is in fact the One Ring, forged by the dark lord, Sauron. Sauron is now searching with all his power for that Ring, for it will give him the power to control all of Middle-earth under his grasp. With a Fellowship made up of 8 other friends and allies, he departs on an epic journey across the realms of Middle-earth in an attempt to destroy the Ring, and, with it, Sauron himself, stopping evil forever.

Time: Game Over

Lynch: Game Over

Alive:
1. Sir Hugh (Peregrin Took - Thief - Town)
2. Anc (Aragorn Elessar - Semi-Iron Doctor - Town)
3. FoO (Saruman - Semi-Iron Godfather/Curser - Isengard Mafia)
4. DragonQ (Gandalf the Gray - Noble Vigilante - Town)
5. Jax (Boromir - Bodyguard - Town)

Dead:
1. Shanks (Nazgul - Scum - Nazgul Mafia)
2. Blatant (Old Man Willow - Faith SK)
3. Santos (Legolas - Semi-Iron Cop - Town)
4. Phaethon (The Balrog - SK)
5. EoJ (The Witch-King - Godfather - Nazgul Mafia)
6. TimmySpok (Nazgul - Scum - Nazgul Mafia)
7. The Wanderer (Ugluk - Scum - Isengard Mafia)
8. Redus (Frodo Baggins - Ringbearer/Mason - Town)
9. Calenraug (Samwise Gamgee - One-Shot Vigilante/Mason - Town)
10. TBG (Nazgul - Scum - Nazgul Mafia)
11. RCM (Lugdush - Scum - Isengard Mafia)
12. Maegereg (The Watcher in the Water - Faith SK)
13. Rot (Gimli - Semi-Iron Roleblocker - Town)
14. ABU (Grishnakh - Scum - Isengard Mafia)
15. Normandy (Meriadoc Brandybuck - Watcher - Town)

Reserves:
1. TBK

Rules:

• Do not edit your posts - double post if necessary. Once is fine, though a mod will be asked to read your edit history. but if it happens multiple times, you may be mod-killed.
  • Do not reveal any information after your character has died.
  • This game is closed communication - talk within this thread only, unless your role specifically states otherwise.
  • No talking/strategizing during the night, unless your role specifically states otherwise.
  • No quoting the mod, whether from your role email or from a conversation outside the thread.
  • Follow HG's CoC
  • During the day, players can vote to lynch. To cast your vote type Vote: Name. Be sure to bold it!
  • If you change your vote, type Unvote: Name before your new vote.

Special Mechanic:

Ringbearers and Corruption Points

Ringbearers are noble, semi-iron, and earn corruption points. Past a certain amount of corruption points, they will be converted to a semi-iron SK and cease to be noble. Killing a ringbearer gets you the ring and makes you a ringbearer. Some characters have higher corruption point limits. You get 1 corruption point every time someone votes you, and you lose half a corruption point when you are unvoted. Being targeted in the night by someone other than a doc causes 1.5 corruption points. If an evil faction gets control of the ring, the person in control of the ring must be killed within three full rounds, otherwise they automatically win. If a Nazgul gets the ring, then the chief Nazgul must be killed, or he who gains the ring.
You can get the ring by either night-killing the ringbearer or being the last to lynch the ringbearer.
Being attacked by a Nazgul while having the ring earns you 2 corruption points if you survive.

Black Breath

Being attacked by a Nazgul gives you the Black Breath if you survive. This causes all night actions and votes to be ineffectual. This can either be healed after two full rounds have passed or if Aragorn heals you.

My email: ash.win.13@hotmail.com

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!

[This message has been edited by Arvedui (edited 09-03-2008 @ 09:17 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-30-08 02:22 AM EDT (US)     1 / 463  
"Mister Frodo?" asked Sam, walking back to the room the Elves had provided for him. "Do you think we'll really have to... you know... go there?"

"Dear Sam, of course! I've volunteered, and so did you! Now we must go, whither our fates take us."

"You're so melancholy all of a sudden, cousin. And look here, we don't get to go anyway! Lord Elrond goes and awards him for his cheek..." muttered Merry, as he walked with the two.

"But we'll find a way, eh, Merry?" said Pippin, doubting his own words.

"Perhaps," replied Merry, staring thoughtfully out at the sunset.

"Ah, but my dear Frodo, why would you even want to go there?" asked Bilbo, who appeared out of another corridor.

"Why did you go, Uncle? I go because I must. It is my duty."

"Ah, foolish hobbit! Well, if you must, then. You'll do well," said Bilbo, clapping Frodo on the back, who gave a faint smile and then suddenly looked gloomy.

"Off to bed, then," said Pippin, as they arrived at their rooms. "In the morning then, Frodo?"

"Of course, Pippin, and you, too, Merry," he said.

"Be safe, Mister Frodo," said Sam worriedly, as he, too, walked off. It was then just Frodo and Bilbo.

"It's a burden, yes, and one you should never have had to carry," said Bilbo gravely, looking in the direction of the small trinket which hung behind Frodo's shirt.

"I must now, Uncle. I don't blame you for it," replied Frodo. "I always wished to one day go off like you into the wild and come back with bags of gold and jewels and wonders, and great stories of dwarves and wizards and dragons. It seems my own journey will be quite different."

"Quite so, but you will see it through, dear Frodo. There shan't be a problem. You're a Baggins, after all! Not some hard-headed Bottleneck from Bracegirdle!"

"Dear Uncle, I hope so, too," said Frodo, smiling now. "Good night, Uncle Bilbo!"

"Good night, my dear Frodo. Good night," said Bilbo, as they went to their own rooms to sleep.

Little did they know that they were being hunted, even in the safety of Rivendell...

It is now Night 0.
Send in all night actions to me at ash.win.13@hotmail.com.
Seriously.

|
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
posted 07-31-08 11:03 AM EDT (US)     2 / 463  
How long is night?
posted 07-31-08 11:19 AM EDT (US)     3 / 463  
I'd assume 48 hours.

EE forever
posted 07-31-08 02:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 463  
Noooooo I missed the best mafia of the year by like a few days. Seriously, like everyone is in it. Is there any way I can still join or at least be a reserve?

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
posted 07-31-08 03:04 PM EDT (US)     5 / 463  
You could probably be a reserve.

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
posted 07-31-08 06:07 PM EDT (US)     6 / 463  
I waited for you, Blatant.

Well, I'll make you a reserve. Hopefully, you'll get to play.

And yes, 48 hours. And no, this isn't going to be like Invisible Man Mafia.

|
posted 07-31-08 06:28 PM EDT (US)     7 / 463  
Bah humbug, Arvy. Bah humbug.

Blatant, if you'd like, I'm hosting a giant mafia at EEH as well. There are still openings there.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
posted 07-31-08 06:46 PM EDT (US)     8 / 463  
Okay, I just did. Thanks for letting me know.

Oh, and it looks like I'll have to...um...eliminate a few people in order to play.

posted 07-31-08 07:58 PM EDT (US)     9 / 463  
I take cash and checks, but not credit cards. Just provide names and your problems will be...taken care of.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
posted 07-31-08 08:23 PM EDT (US)     10 / 463  
Oh, I'll pass my role over to Blatant. I signed on so Arvy didn't cry, but since I have to kick my mother off her own computer for me to have internet access (working on fixing my computer) I'll happily give it over to him.

Arvy, sound acceptable?

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 07-31-08 08:30 PM EDT (US)     11 / 463  
Well, main reason I wanted you was because you're doing RotK Mafia and you'll need to know how the other two are structured for continuity... But if you want, sure. I'll switch you with Blatant. Blatant, get ready for the thrill of your life...

In addition, for the rest of you, even if you don't want to make a night action, please send in an email telling me. You know who you are. I'm just waiting on two. If you guys don't want to do anything, please tell me so I can start day already.

|
posted 07-31-08 08:53 PM EDT (US)     12 / 463  
Omg thank you GoSailing! This was the one mafia I was really looking forward to.

posted 07-31-08 08:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 463  
Oh, and confirmed by the way.

posted 08-01-08 00:54 AM EDT (US)     14 / 463  
Good job.

Also, all night actions are in, but it is time for din-din and getting ready for school. When that is over, I will write my write up and then take a nice long sleep.

Note: I never mentioned posting said write up.

|
posted 08-01-08 03:01 AM EDT (US)     15 / 463  
Frodo woke up wearily and quickly got dressed. He walk out to see the others already awake. They had eaten already, and Frodo was late. He quickly went to get food, and passed the twisting hallways of the Elves. After doing so, he was coming back to see the others when he stopped at the library of Imladris. Master Elrond sat there reading, quiet, grave. Frodo made to leave, but Lord Elrond noticed him.

"Come, Frodo, sit,' he said politely.

"Thank you, Lord Elrond," said Frodo back, and he sat down.

"Much has changed in the last years, even in Imladris itself. Some years ago, it was merrier, and with more festivities. As of late, it has been graver and sadder. It is sad that you must come here in these times," Elrond said, staring off into the distance. Frodo noticed his book put away. He said,

"But these times will be gone, right? I mean... the world will be better soon?" Elrond looked gravely at Frodo before speaking.

"Perhaps, and it seems it is now on your shoulders that not just ours, but all Middle-earth's fate rests." Elrond paused and looked deeply at Frodo, who shifted uncomfortably. Noticing this, Elrond stood and made way to leave. Frodo did so as well, and the two bowed to each other. As he left the room, Elrond looked back at Frodo, and said,

"And I daresay, but the decision has almost been made."

Frodo's ear perked up as Elrond left, and he understood completely. Months had passed since the council, and Gandalf and the others had been away for long with few messages. But now... they were to set out. It had been decided...

He set out at a run to find his friends, and along the way ran into Gandalf.

"My, my! Frodo! Where are you off to?"

"Oh, Gandalf! Is it true? The decision has been made?" Gandalf let out a faint smile.

"Yes, and no. It is almost, yes, but there still lacks some more. The preparations have been made, though. We will set out soon, Ah, but tell Bilbo, the old rascal! He will sorely miss you. He loves you greatly."

"And I him. Thank you, Gandalf."

"Anytime, my dear Hobbit, anytime," said Gandalf, hugging Frodo, who then ran off again.

"Frodo, my dear boy!" shouted Bilbo, seeing him. "Have you heard the news?"

"Yes! The decision has been made!" said Frodo, unable to contain his joy.

"Two then," said Bilbo, winking. Frodo looked confused.

"Two pieces of news?" he asked.

"Gandalf told me. They found a cloak and horse in the river. One of... them... died. Or something happened. They can't die... They say the cloak was burnt and there were tree roots all over him..." Frodo smiled.

"Another one gone is good."

"Of course! But some were injured out there, too. Blatant, DragonQ, and FoO..." said Bilbo. Then, his face turned cheery. "Now, tell Samwise, and Meriadoc, and Peregrin!" he said as Frodo ran off.

Shanks (Nazgul - Scum - Nazgul Mafia) is dead.
It is now Day 1,
May the Valar be with you.

|
posted 08-01-08 03:13 AM EDT (US)     16 / 463  
Arvy, incase you want to use 'May the Valar be with you' in Elvish, it's 'No i Melain na le.'

Anyway, good to get a Nazgul out of the way. So time to random lynch or no lynch...

Player of The Lord of the Rings Online.
Server: Vilya
Name: Maegbor
posted 08-01-08 03:23 AM EDT (US)     17 / 463  
It is pretty nice, isn't it.

In any respect (bearing in mind I haven't actually read the day post, largely because I'm going out in 20 seconds), a Nazgul death would suggest a second scum group/player (Saruman? I dunno enough about the books, to be honest).

Also, I'm assuming that most players are named with a character from the book, and have an ability to match. If someone is a Nazgul, this is bad for them, since it means they have to find either a minor character or claim something generic like villager. That said, in Arvy's last character driven mafia that I was in (Pirates), my role gave me a very handy role claim, and it wasn't the town that undid it, it was an SK kill.

However, I dunno how many people will have such roles in this game. I have a fairly major character, yet my role isn't the most useful I've ever seen (which suggests the game should be balanced nicely, if nothing else). As such, I'm content simply to try and pump out claims on the basis that its hard for scum to claim, and easy to verify a townie claim, on the assumption that if someone claims Aragorn, they actually are Aragorn.

house won this
posted 08-01-08 03:42 AM EDT (US)     18 / 463  
I could think of a number of mafias which could be here. Nazgul, which is confirmed, orcs of Mordor, Uruk-hai of Isengard, Moria goblins, wargs of the Misty Mountains, Hill-men, Haradrim/Men of Rhun, perhaps even a troll mafia.

As for your bit about claiming a different role, we'll really have to be careful about that. There were simply tons of smaller, though important roles that someone could easily just guess wasn't taken, no one had, and we could believe it. Another thing to watch for is if someone who's not as knowing in the books or movies, claims a character from the Two Towers or Return of the King. Obviously, this is FotR mafia, thus a TT or RotK character would not be here.

Player of The Lord of the Rings Online.
Server: Vilya
Name: Maegbor
posted 08-01-08 04:31 AM EDT (US)     19 / 463  
Random vote fest!

Vote: ABU

Doctor FoO
posted 08-01-08 04:50 AM EDT (US)     20 / 463  
Aww poor ABU .

So I have been injured. Well that's...interesting. I know no more about this than anyone else so I don't know if that means I now have lower HP or whatever but it is quite annoying to be targetted on Night 0 by some sort of mafia every single game I'm in <_<. Eh, at least Shanks is too and he was scum this time lol.

The interesting thing is that I can see nothing regarding failed attacks which implies that, assuming we have some doctors and roleblockers, they all missed last night. Or it could just be Arvy not giving away too much stuff because I guess with a mafia game of this size a lot of shizzle happens each night. Also, with a LOTR: FOTR themed mafia like this, I find it hard to believe that there are any vanilla townies. Sure, some people might not have night actions, but they probably have other conditions, passive abilities or are a ring bearer.
I could think of a number of mafias which could be here. Nazgul, which is confirmed, orcs of Mordor, Uruk-hai of Isengard, Moria goblins, wargs of the Misty Mountains, Hill-men, Haradrim/Men of Rhun, perhaps even a troll mafia.
I was gonna say this too - I think it's safe to say we have two or three mafia groups in a game of this size. The Nazguls are confirmed in the rules, Saruman is pretty much going to be in this game too (although we don't know whether he's an SK or part of a larger group) and out of the remaining groups, the most prominent one (if I'm not mixing up the three films in my mind) is the Uruk-hai and Orcs, who were constantly fighting by the last film. I definitely remember the Uruk-hai being at the end of the first film but I can't remember if there were any Orcs.

Someone who remembers the film or book more vividly can probably have a better guess at what groups we have. I don't think we want a list of probable pro-town characters though because that'll give scum an easier chance to fake role claim.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...
posted 08-01-08 06:33 AM EDT (US)     21 / 463  
One question we'll have to ask is if Sauron is part of the Nazgul or the possible Orc mafia, and if he'll get anything extra, such as powers relating to the ring bearers.

Looking back it seems like two people/groups attacked shanks. One would seem to be an ent with the tree roots and the other uses fire, which I'm guessing is the Balrog, who'll like as not be an SK, unless he's part of a Moria mafia.

Thinking about it, if we do indeed have 3 mafias I think they'll Moria (Balrog Godfather), Isengard (Saruman Godfather) and Mordor (Sauron Godfather). Aragon/Gimli/Logolas are prolly masons and such, possibly with vig powers and knowing Arvy he's come up with some new, fairly simple but ingenious mechanic (like the side switchers from PotC mafia or the lottery from HP mafia) for the ring bearers.

Looking at the summary however there were most likely 5 attacks. This means we have a tigger happy vig, or just an ovreager one, mucking about somewhere as well as three mafias and an SK, by my reckoning at least. It also means we have up to three very good doctors or a couple of iron roles were hit last night, although the only full iron role I can think of would be Frodo and his mythril vest.

Sorry about the rambling nature of the post, but I wrote things as I thought of them. Oh and DQ, if you were injured it prolly means you were one-shot iron, so you'll die next time.

Doctor FoO
posted 08-01-08 07:48 AM EDT (US)     22 / 463  
Oh and DQ, if you were injured it prolly means you were one-shot iron, so you'll die next time.
Possibly. I would request doctor protection but then anyone can do that - tis useless without a role claim and I do not feel that would be in the town's best interests at the moment. :/

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...
posted 08-01-08 09:20 AM EDT (US)     23 / 463  
I have to agree with FoO about the mafias. At least for the most part. Mordor as one, Isengard as one, and I believe the Nazgul party to be one. I disagree with Moria, however, because it didn't play a huge evil role in the book. This would also mean that the Balrog isn't the Godfather because the goblins feared him just as much as the Fellowship.

Thought:

Three mafias(Maybe Only 2)
Vigilante
Serial Killer

(11 Players Out of 19)

The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses –
behind the lines,
in the gym,
and out there on the road,
long before I dance under those lights.
posted 08-01-08 09:44 AM EDT (US)     24 / 463  
I think that there could just be one mafia, and this could be a vig. However, we may get somewhere by pressuring people on day one.

Vote: A Banned User

Redus
Bfme2h|HWH|HG main|Redus' blog
Winner of the best post in the 2007 Bfme2H awards, because I had the only nomination.
So this is how freedom dies, to a round of applause.
+1-Drakontos
posted 08-01-08 09:46 AM EDT (US)     25 / 463  
For the record, this follows the book, not the movie.

|
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Mafia - Game Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: