The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Atzy

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Game Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 39  Next Page »
posted 09-27-08 03:57 AM EDT (US)   

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul. Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Frodo and his Companions of the Ring have been beset by
danger during their quest to prevent the Ruling Ring from
falling into the hands of the Dark Lord by destroying it in
the Cracks of Doom. They have lost the wizard, Gandalf, in
a battle in the Mines of Moria. And Boromir, seduced by the
power of the ring, tried to seize it by force. While Frodo
and Sam made their escape, the rest of the company was
attacked by Orcs. Now they continue the journey alone down
the great River Anduin - alone, that is, save for the
mysterious creeping figure that follows wherever they go.

Alive
02. Friend of Old (Gollum; Iron Partially Unlynchable Informed Serial Killer Lover Masonic Iron Unstoppable Serial Killer Ringbearer)
06. A Banned User (Sméagol; Post Restricted Iron Tracker Post Restricted Masonic Serial Tracker Lover)

Dead
01. Arvedui (Shelob; Territorial Reverse Territorial Serial Mind Flayer)
03. Nacht Jaeger (Treebeard; Stone Watcher Veteran)
04. Calenraug (Legolas Thranduilion; Post Restricted Iron Cop)
05. Drinian (Peregrin Took; Thief Bond Brother)
07. EnemyofJupitor (Gandalf the White; Semi-Iron Jack of All Trades)
08. TBK145 (Gimli, son of Glóin; Iron Roleblocker)
09. Blatant7 (Meriadoc Brandybuck; One-Shot Tracker Veteran Bond Brother)
10. The Best Guest (Faramir, son of Dethenor II; Tracker Veteran)
11. Ashrzr (Saruman the White; Semi-Iron Mafia Vote Restrictor)
12. MR ANCALAGON GoSailing (Gríma Wormtongue; Mafia Politician)
13. SomethingGuinness Pit_King (Sauron; Iron Mafia Godfather)
14. Maegereg (Frodo Baggins; Masonic Semi-Iron Ringbearer Towny)
15. Atzy (Samwise Gamgee; Masonic Bodyguard Lover)
16. Count Mummolus (Théoden, King of Rohan; Noble Politician)
17. Stormer (Grishnákh; Mafia Goon)
18. Aeneas2 (Aragorn II, son of Arathorn; Noble Vigilante One-Shot Doctor)
19. DunC (Mauhúr; Mafia Goon)
20. Catabre Undeadsniper55 (Uglúk; Mafia Goon)

Rules:
  • Do not edit your posts - double post if necessary. Once is fine, but if it happens multiple times, you may be mod-killed.
  • Do not reveal any information after your character has died.
  • This game is closed communication - talk within this thread only, unless your role specifically states otherwise.
  • Do not quote my emails. Paraphrase.
  • No talking/strategizing during the night, unless your role specifically states otherwise.
  • Follow HG's CoC
  • During the day, players can vote to lynch. To cast your vote type Vote: Name. Be sure to bold it!
  • If you change your vote, type Unvote: Name before your new vote. Otherwise, I'll ignore your new vote.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
    "I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
    "OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon

[This message has been edited by Rotaretilbo (edited 04-26-2009 @ 05:40 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 09-27-08 04:02 AM EDT (US)     1 / 959  
    The hobbits stood now on the bring of a tall cliff, bare
    and bleak, its feet wrapped in mist; and behind them rose
    the broken highlands crowned with drifting clouds. A chill
    wind blew from the East. Night was gathering over the
    shapeless lands before them; the sickly green of them was
    fading to a sullen brown. Far away to the right the Anduin,
    that had gleamed fitfully in sun-breaks during the day, was
    now hidden in shadow. But their eyes did not look beyond
    the River, back to Gondor, to their friends, to the lands
    of Men. South and east they stared to where, at the edge of
    the oncoming night, a dark line hung, like distant
    mountains of motionless smoke. Every now and again a tiny
    red gleam far away flickered upwards on the rim of earth
    and sky.

It is Night 0.
    Send night actions to brebuga4@gmail.com
    48 Hours until Day 1

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
    posted 09-30-08 06:42 PM EDT (US)     2 / 959  
    Calenraug approached the cave cautiously. It was still
    dark, but he could see well enough to get around, or so he
    thought. He was prepared for anything. Anything except a
    giant spider lunging at him. He managed to fire off a few
    arrows that delayed it long enough for him to make his
    escape. Elsewhere, Friend of Old was beset upon by orcs,
    but he managed to escape unscathed as well.

Someone tried to kill Calenraug, but failed.
    Someone tried to kill Friend of Old, but failed.
    It is now Day 1.
    There are 20 of you, so it is 11 to lynch.

[This message has been edited by Rotaretilbo (edited 09-30-2008 @ 10:43 PM).]

posted 10-01-08 04:04 AM EDT (US)     3 / 959  
    OBVIOUSLY THE WRITE UPS ARE NOT AS GREAT AS THEY WERE IN MY MAFIA

That aside, we have one scum faction and an SK, at least. Shelob is the Spider and an SK. She might have been blocked or Cal had a doc inspection. I don't think it's worth revealing our roleblocker to find out, though, because the write up doesn't seem to show that there was a block. In addition, Cal could also be iron or semi-iron, though. I do wonder if Rot has changed the ring function in this one, or if Nazgul feature. We know Rot always has all kill attempts mentioned in his write ups, but I sincerely doubt one SK and one mafia faction. We might want to look at any people who have been inactive BEFORE the mafia started or who don't visit here that often/are always inactive at mafias. I don't think that looking at inactives in the day will help, though. As for FoO, now, band of orcs means that's one scum faction down for us. However, I think this one might be Sauron's side, as Saruman's side would be Uruks, not orcs. There's not really any other scum factions in the Two Towers. Problem is, even Sauron doesn't feature much. It's probably just a mistake on Rot's part.

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
    |
    "I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
    "Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
    And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
    posted 10-01-08 05:03 AM EDT (US)     4 / 959  
    I have seen the movies, but from the write up it sounds like Friend of Old is Legolas.

Do newspapers appear in these types of mafias or is that only in SWGBH?
    posted 10-01-08 08:58 AM EDT (US)     5 / 959  
    Arrows could also mean an Uruk with a crossbow, any of the other elves, or Faramir. Btu Legolas is the top choice.

Dagorhir Battlegames-- A full contact medieval combat battle game

Varangia-- A viking unit in the Aratari chapter of Dagorhir

Winner-- OD Idol 2009
    posted 10-01-08 09:59 AM EDT (US)     6 / 959  
    HALDIR DOESN'T REALLY SHOW UP WITH ELVES AT HELM'S DEEP!!!!!!

Sorry, just had to say that. Could it be possible that FoO and Calenraug were targeted by multiple mafias?

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
    posted 10-01-08 10:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 959  
    First off, I would really appreciate it if we didn't make this into a some sort of Lotr trivia face off. If somebody gets something wrong, try not to come off like they just burned a bible.

Second off, I'm assuming this mafia follows the chronology and generally accepted facts as based on the book and not on the previous mafia, which would be completely retarded.
    Calenraug approached the cave cautiously. It was still
    dark, but he could see well enough to get around, or so he
    thought. He was prepared for anything. Anything except a
    giant spider lunging at him. He managed to fire off a few
    arrows that delayed it long enough for him to make his
    escape. Elsewhere, Friend of Old was beset upon by orcs,
    Giant spiders are found in Mirkwood and the pass of Cirith Ungol. Which means Calenraug is not Legolas, because what would he be doing in either of those places? Which means Calenraug is either a random elf of Mirkwood or an orc guarding the pass.

The question is: would the SK be some random spider in Mirkwood? I don't think so. The only character that truly fits the SK profile is Shelob. And since Legolas isn't there, and the hobbits don't have bows, it seems logical to think there's a good chance Calenraug is an orc guarding the pass and therefore scum.

Vote: Calenraug
    Elsewhere, Friend of Old was beset upon by orcs,
    That fact that he was attacked by what must be the mafia would indicate he's clean (though he could be the SK!)
    Do newspapers appear in these types of mafias or is that only in SWGBH?
    The writeups serve the same purpose as newspapers.

Feed the birds
    posted 10-01-08 12:58 PM EDT (US)     8 / 959  
    Hrm, I didn't see the arrows part. But then again, if Cal was Legolas and Shelob attacked him, then how else would Rot have posted the write up? Obviously he has to make him at Cirith Ungol. But I agree that a claim would be nice.

That said, I can't vote for anyone today, so go figure.

|
    And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
    posted 10-01-08 02:24 PM EDT (US)     9 / 959  
    Oh my bad. That write up was hard to understand being jumbled in one paragraph. Calenraug does sound more likely to be an elf, if not Legolas.

Friend of Old wasn't given much detail about his character other than he was attacked and managed escape.
    posted 10-01-08 02:59 PM EDT (US)     10 / 959  
    Let me just say that there IS no other elf in the book except Legolas. However, Aragorn also wields arrows, and this book will surely have some Rohirrim characters, too. Eomer, Eowyn, Theoden, and Hama, plus Faramir. Quickly looking at the player list proves that there are quite a few who wouldn't be here, so scum really get an easier game here than they did in mine, and it also means that Rot wouldn't have put characters not in the book.

|
    posted 10-01-08 06:10 PM EDT (US)     11 / 959  
    Pedin i gwath nin.

Im Legolas Thranduilon. Pedin i lam edhellen. Cenin ne ithil a im ang.

Ne ithil, cenantin ni Arvedui, a e na goth!

Pedin ni gurth: Arvedui

Player of The Lord of the Rings Online.
    Server: Vilya
    Name: Maegbor
    posted 10-01-08 06:36 PM EDT (US)     12 / 959  
    Oh, God... Deciphering time!
    Pedin i gwath nin.
    I speak the my shadow?
    Im Legolas Thranduilon. Pedin i lam edhellen. Cenin ne ithil a im ang.
    I'm Legolas. I speak the Elvish language. I see (ne) moon and I'm iron. I'm guessing ne ithil means you are a cop.
    Ne ithil, cenantin ni Arvedui, a e na goth!
    I saw (investigated) Arvedui, and he is enemy.

Ah, so you're saying I'm scum? Well, in fact, I'm one of the Rohirrim, but I can't reveal who yet (post restriction). Suffice to say, I'm a post restrictor. Basically, I can target people to prevent them from voting or posting the entire day. I'm good with a blade, which is why. However, if I choose to go with my action, I appear as scum in investigations. If I choose not to make an action, there a 33% chance I will appear as scum to investigations. I can't target the same person twice. However, I am a townie and win with the town. I suppose the scum thing was to balance my role, along with not being able to target the same person twice. I did use my action last night on EoJ. That's why I appeared as scum.

|
    posted 10-01-08 06:59 PM EDT (US)     13 / 959  
    Calenraug, english is the official language of HG, as dictated by HG's code of conduct. If you're going to use an alternative language, you must provide a translation. Break the CoC again and you will get a warning. I'm not giving you one this time since it's possible that you have to speak in elvish as part of a role Rot has given you and your failure to provide a translation was accidental or done without knowing the consequences.

Also, as I'm not sure what you actually said, I can't really comment on your defense.

Feed the birds
    posted 10-01-08 07:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 959  
    Basically, I can target people to prevent them from voting or posting the entire day... if I choose to go with my action, I appear as scum in investigations. If I choose not to make an action, there a 33% chance I will appear as scum to investigations. I can't target the same person twice.
    I did use my action last night on EoJ. That's why I appeared as scum.
    So you have an ability which can make someone appear inactive, you can only use it on any given target once, it increases the likelihood of you appearing as scum in investigations, and you decided to burn your ability on EoJ on the first night - increasing your own likelihood of appearing as scum while not actually accomplishing anything?

I don't buy it - you're a better player than that, I'm certain. I think it's more likely you actually are scum and you've come up with a convoluted role to try and explain why someone's claiming they investigated and found you scum.

Just as some bodies, from the moment of birth, are endowed with beauty, while on others nature from their very beginning bestows blemishes and wrinkles, so with souls too, some are distinguished at once with extreme grace and attractiveness, while others leave a trail of sombre and deep gloom. ~Michael Psellus, Chronographia
    posted 10-01-08 07:31 PM EDT (US)     15 / 959  
    Atzy, it was a post restriction that Rot gave. I'll let you and Rot decide if the post restriction stays.

Until that's decided I will be unable to post what I said.

posted 10-01-08 07:49 PM EDT (US)     16 / 959  
    So you have an ability which can make someone appear inactive, you can only use it on any given target once, it increases the likelihood of you appearing as scum in investigations, and you decided to burn your ability on EoJ on the first night - increasing your own likelihood of appearing as scum while not actually accomplishing anything?
    Basically the point of my role is that after I roleblock someone in this form, I can perform my second action on them. However, I don't find out what my second action is till some other time, I don't know when.
    I don't buy it - you're a better player than that, I'm certain. I think it's more likely you actually are scum and you've come up with a convoluted role to try and explain why someone's claiming they investigated and found you scum.
    Well, it isn't that convoluted a role when it comes to Rot. He's had some complicated roles and new ideas before, like the idea of a "Mind Flayer" in Half Life 2 Mafia at EEH, which we still don't know what the hell it is. According to Rot, this is an experimental role he's trying on me, and that's really nothing new with him. I knew that sooner or later I'd be investigated, I really hoped it wouldn't be this soon. It's really a horrible restriction with the investigations, but Rot probably balanced it somehow.

|
    posted 10-01-08 08:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 959  
    Atzy, it was a post restriction that Rot gave. I'll let you and Rot decide if the post restriction stays.

Until that's decided I will be unable to post what I said.
    I figured that was the most likely possibility. No problem.

And since you can only talk in Elvish, that probably means you're clean.

Unvote: Calenraug

Also, I'm inclined to agree with Count Mummolus. I don't like how you (arvedui) were so willing to reveal your role. That would indicate you're either an over eager townie or a nervous mafia.

And plus: this role, if you take off the spin, can't be used for good (as far as i can see). I mean, stopping a townie like a cop from posting is useful. Stopping a scum from posting...isn't. I don't understand why a townie would have a power that hurts his own side.

I don't however think that Arvedui made up the role. I think he's just twisted so it sounds townie.

I bet you're Wormtongue. I bet the second action is to stab them in their sleep. I bet you're EVIL.

Vote: Arvedui

We're doing rather well here by the way. We haven't lost anybody and have already cleared two players.

Feed the birds
    posted 10-01-08 08:53 PM EDT (US)     18 / 959  
    Why would anyone but scum use an action like that randomly, and especially on a good player like EoJ. And it seems just like Wormtongue to not be able to vote. Vote: Arvedui

posted 10-01-08 09:10 PM EDT (US)     19 / 959  
    Atzy, just for clarification, the post restriction is allowed to stay?

posted 10-01-08 09:16 PM EDT (US)     20 / 959  
    Yes it is.

Feed the birds
    posted 10-01-08 09:41 PM EDT (US)     21 / 959  
    @ Calenraug and Arvy

Is there anything else you can tell us about your roles?

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
    "The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
    posted 10-01-08 09:43 PM EDT (US)     22 / 959  
    Arvedui, beth lin na amarth lin.

posted 10-01-08 09:45 PM EDT (US)     23 / 959  
    Translation plz.

posted 10-01-08 09:53 PM EDT (US)     24 / 959  
    U-bedin i lam English.

posted 10-01-08 09:55 PM EDT (US)     25 / 959  
    *Looking words up in Sindarin dictionary and tossing them together*

beth - word
    amarth - fate, doom
    lin - pool or your
    na - with, by, to, toward or to be

Arvy, your word toward your doom.

Something like that maybe?

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
    "The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 39  Next Page »
    Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Game Thread
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to: