Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods)
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Blatant

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mixing Terrain: A Guide
posted 04-17-06 06:10 PM EDT (US)   
Mixing Terrain

If you want to have an all grass or dirt map, you can just select one terrain and keep it for the whole map. But, that being boring, you can use one of the World Builder tools to help get more exciting and dynamic terrain.

Placing Initial Terrain

Choose one set of terrain you want as your base. To browse the terrains under the menu, go to Texture Sizing -> Map Cliff Textures. A dialog box should appear. Once you've selected the terrain you want, click Apply To Tiles.... Once you do that, check the Apply button on 'Between These Slopes'. Make the top value equal to zero, and the bottom value equal to 89. This way, it will cover all the terrain. When you're done, click OK. Depending on your terrain, it will probably look pretty ugly. But this is what the rest of the guide is for.

Mixing Your Terrain

Once you're done with that, load up the terrain selector again, and click a terrain similar to the one you've picked. Most of the terrains are in sets, i.e the DrtHarad or SnowEttenmoors set. You can tell by the first name of the set before the numbers describing it. You'll probably want to pick a terrain in the same set. Once you pick your terrain, go to Apply To Tiles... but this time check Randomly, at this approxtimate saturation. Now, the next slide box is up to you to decide. The check box is the percent of existing terrain the new terrain will cover. For example, if you set the slider to 25, 25% of all your existing terrain will be placed into your new terrain. The process is randomized, and it's not a specific pattern (i.e, every 4 tiles, one will be the new terrain). I recommend using the 25% value, because you'll want to mix your terrain 4 times or more to get a randomzied terrain look. Once you've set the value, click OK and you should see the terrain change. You can repeat this process as many times as you want for as many terrains as you want.

Now, you'll notice other slider that I haven't talked about yet is Between these heights. Let's say you placed a mountain in the terrain builder. And you want the top to be snowcapped, but doing the above method would get the whole map snowcapped. Select a minimum height you want to be snowcapped with the slider, and then hit OK. Any mountains you've made will now be topeed with the terrain you selected! You can also use this opposite, if you want a valley to be dark, for example.

You can also randomize terrain on mountains. All you have to do is set the bottom slider and the top slider, and repeat the instructions.

I hope this guide helps

[This message has been edited by FD2 (edited 04-17-2006 @ 06:28 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-17-06 06:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
Screenshots man, screenshots!
posted 04-18-06 09:56 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
Yeah, screenshots would really make it look better.
posted 04-20-06 10:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
Fantastic guide FD2, really well wrote!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 04-20-06 12:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
Cool! I've worked on a map a few days ago, but the Map Design was so bland, now I can make it better! Thanks!

====:[ BODiN ]:====
====:[ Space Commander|Core Conquest ]:====
====:[ EAW DEMO Modding Guide for Newbies ]:====
posted 04-22-06 12:12 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
I rather do it the old way, i dont like making textureing totaly random, thats not like the real world is.

I think instead of having random textures go everywhere and you trying to blend them would be same amout of time as texuteing your own way, and blending them as you go.

[This message has been edited by jbv3737 (edited 04-22-2006 @ 12:14 PM).]

posted 04-22-06 12:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
Alternatively, you can do what FD2 said, place the textures randomly. Then select the Auto Blend Out tool, and instead of blending each of the random tile, press Shift and click on the texture. All tiles bearing that texture will be blended in one go.

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods) » Mixing Terrain: A Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames