The Innsider (Strategies)
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Atzy, Blatant

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Using Heroes - Elves, Dwarves, Goblins
posted 09-28-06 02:17 PM EDT (US)   
Using Elven Heroes

After playing many multiplayer matches, I have concluded that most of the players are not using heroes to there full potential, particularly Elf heroes, so I have put together a small guide to help people with the use and application of heroes.

Haldir – Cost; 1100, Powers; Toggle Weapon, Leadership, Golden Arrow and a random chance of doing X4 damage.

Firstly Haldir should be primarily used as a support hero, among some archers or forward infantry. His leadership ability at level 4 is not to be overlooked. keep him with some archers or swordsmen. This guy OWNS buildings. And combined with Lorien Swordsmen they are the ultimate hit and run team. Because of his low health, leaving him on his own could be fatal, but supported with other troops, and he is the early hero elves really need.

Quite frankly, unless you are trying to kill Fellbeasts, the Witch-king or Drogoth; Golden Arrow sucks, you might as well use normal arrows to do the same amount of damage.

Glorfindel – Cost; 2000, Powers; Mount/Dismount, Blade of Purity, Wind rider and Starlight.

Glorfindel has splash damage, which makes him perfect for front line assaults with swordsmen while supported by archers, also his ability to mount allows him to ride with the Lancers. Blade of Purity is pointless vs. unupgraded troops, its great vs. buildings and heroes, or getting out of trouble without being damaged. This is what it should be used for. Wind rider is a get out of trouble free card, it allows Glorfindel to escape from danger fast, and he will not be caught by anyone when using this. Starlight should be used to heal nearby troops and heroes, it also gives a leadership bonus which is great to give your troops the edge.

Arwen – Cost; 1100, Powers; Mount/Dismount, flood and Atelas.

Arwen’s main use is to support your Lancers and provide healing to other heroes, basically she is pretty useless until level 4 when she can do a good amount of damage against front line infantry, using a small flood. Her heal at level 10 is not really used, as it is quite hard to get her to level 10 without her dieing.

Legolas – Cost 2000, Powers; Hawk Strike, Train Archers, Knife fighter and Arrow Wind.

Legolas, due to lowered health, now needs to be with other archers, providing the extra punch that they need against bigger foes, Hawk Strike will make light work of bigger enemies like Berserkers and trolls. Train archers should be used the moment that it recharges, so that it is not wasted, as it has no effect on the enemy. Use it particularly to train up Mirkwood archers, because at higher levels, they are near unstoppable.

Thranduil – Cost 3000, Powers; Elven cloak, Deadeye, Wild walk, Move unseen and Thorn of Vengeance.

Due to his incredibly slow rate of fire and huge range, should be primarily be used as a hero killer. At level 6 he is devastating. Using Wild walk and deadeye is fatal to most enemy heroes caught off guard. And with the huge range that is most heroes, especially as players cannot see him. Thorn of vengeance is game over for almost all heroes or units; the initial strike is bad enough but after that follows the huge splash damage that is the finishing blow.

Elrond – Cost 3000, Powers; Farsight, Atelas, Leadership, Restoration and Whirlwind.

Elrond has recently had Restoration switched with Whirlwind, most people see this as a loss, though I see it as a good thing, Elrond, combined with a hero such as Thranduil can be the ultimate partnership, when Elrond hits level 7 and Thranduil hits 10, it is effectively giving Thranduil 2 Thorn of Vengeances one after the other, although his heal now only effects himself, his low level leadership is a must for buffing troops. Farsight should be used to scout the enemy base to see their tactics. Whirlwind is not usually reached except in long games, although Elves are normally dead by then.

Suggested Partnerships

these partnerships are only simple pairings, I have not Put why or how they should be used together. But feel free to ask me these questions.

Elrond – Thranduil

Elrond – Legolas

Haldir – Glorfindel – Lorien Swordsmen

Haldir – Thranduil

Legolas – Haldir – Lorien/Mirkwood Archers

Thranduil – Pikemen

Using Dwarf Heroes

Gloin – Cost 1100, Powers; Slam, Shake Foundation and Earthquake

Though Gloin’s health and armour have been reduced, his purpose hasn’t really changed much, He should be on the front line, providing assistance to the Guardians, in destroying both troops and buildings, His Shake Foundation ability, is great for taking down unit production buildings or resource buildings, His Slam ability, is great for breaking holes in the front lines of enemy swordsmen, and Quite frankly, his Earthquake ability OWNS all. Units are completely obliterated by it. It is much like WOP. Gloin is great combined with infantry of any kind; the only thing missing is a leadership bonus.

Gimli – Cost 3000, Powers; Throw axe, leap, Leadership and Slayer

Although Gimli comes with a high price tag, it’s my opinion that he is worth it. Just to see him run around the screen really fast in Slayer mode, decimating the enemy’s army and structures, and if you haven’t already guessed it, that is exactly what it should be used for. That or giving him the extra punch he needs to kill heroes quickly. And as if dwarves didn’t have enough armour he provides them with 50% more, allowing them to take minimal damage, while moving slowly. Throw axe used to be pretty pitiful against other units, but not that it does Splash it’s a whole new ball game. Now he can kill multiple units with is, and either finish them of with his Axe or Leap Attack.

Dain – Cost 2000, Powers; Leadership, Mighty Rage, Stubborn Pride, Summon Royal Guard

Because of Dain’s Level 1 leadership he is perfect for leading your troops into battle; his mighty rage will give your already powerful troops even more power. His main purpose in battle is to improve your troops in battle. All his powers are support based, which suggests that he should be a support hero, for some people, these advantages are put to waist by sending him on one man missions, and ending up with him dead. And with the new heal, it gives good heroes less of an advantage over evil ones.

Suggested Partnerships

Gloin – Guardians

Gloin – Gimli

Gimli – Guardians/Phalanx

Dain – Any Infantry

Using Goblin Heroes

Gorkil – Cost 1100, Powers; Skull Totem, Mount/Dismount, Leadership, Poisoned Stinger, Call from the Deep.

Because of Gorkil’s low health and armour, unfortunately he is a major target on the battlefield, but this doesn’t have to put you off, send Gorkil in, and start attacking buildings, the other players army will surly try and attack you, and then you draw them away from their base, giving you time to send your main army a different way, with the enemy gone, Unit production and Resource Buildings will be easy pickings. But make sure you leave some units home, or the same will happen to you. Skull totem is great for providing instant leadership, though it will be easily destroyed in the long term, it can give your troops the edge. Poisoned Stinger is great for reducing a hero’s health, though Gorkil will be slaughtered in a straight fight.

Shelob – Cost 2000, Powers; Instill terror, Poisoned Stinger, Tunnel

Shelob, although looks menacing is actually quite a weak hero, before this latest patch Shelob could crush multiple units, now she struggles with one, a slight redeeming factor is that she can climb up mountains where others cannot. She should be used as a hit and run unit, using mountains as a back way into an enemy base and destroy buildings and level up. Pikes will slaughter her, so keep well away.

Drogoth – Cost 5000, Powers; Fireball, Wing Blast, Fire flight, Incinerate.

Boasting a 5000 resource price tag, Drogoth is perhaps the hero with the least value for money. Yes his attacks are nice, but he gets wasted by any archers, he is great for picking out troops with his powers or destroying the odd building and then retreating when his health is low, but for 5000 I expect a lot more and you should too, 5000 resources could buy you the makings of a FU HT-marauders army. To be quite honest Drogoth is awful.

Suggested Partnerships

Gorkil – infantry (tactic as mentioned earlier)

Gorkil – Shelob

Shelob – Spiders

So that’s all for now, feel free to ask any questions about the Elven or Dwarven heroes. and comment on whether you found this useful, or would like another for different factions, other factions will be done on request.

This is not my post, as you are the people who own the site and are going to read it so really it is your post.

This is not a post at all, as posts have to provide a sturdy foundation for a fence, this does not. it is a gate masquerading as a post.

So really this gate masquerading as a post is completely pointless!!

[This message has been edited by Soicx (edited 10-02-2006 @ 02:41 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-28-06 02:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18  
Nice guide!

B e n d e r s . . . © 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 09-28-06 03:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18  
Thanks Bendak, that is high praise indeed coming from you, any chance you could make this "sticky"?

This is not my post, as you are the people who own the site and are going to read it so really it is your post.

This is not a post at all, as posts have to provide a sturdy foundation for a fence, this does not. it is a gate masquerading as a post.

posted 09-28-06 07:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18  
I agree; this was very helpful. Thanks, Soicx!

.:|Smeagol|:.
World in Conflict Heaven Cherub
Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven Replay Reviewer and Ledgend

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness.
Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
posted 09-29-06 01:22 AM EDT (US)     4 / 18  
Stickied, and I like to see more guides from other people too!

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 09-29-06 11:12 AM EDT (US)     5 / 18  
Any suggestions on the next factions heroes i should do?

posted 09-29-06 11:17 AM EDT (US)     6 / 18  
No, do it the way you like to do yourself most .

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 09-29-06 04:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18  
Nice guide, do another one please!

Scrat Master
BFME2H Replay Reviewer

DO NOT CLICK
posted 09-29-06 05:31 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18  
Great work; thanks Soicx!

Heck to the darkness
"That's fairly similar to what I thought you sounded like. Deep, gravelly, and wise sounding. Though the gravelly bit could've been mic quality?" -Atzy
"HeavenGames forbid!" -Smeagolfan24
posted 09-30-06 09:05 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18  
Also another suggestion, try to grab some ini files and find some more detailed info (health etc) about the heroes to make the guide complete .

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 09-30-06 11:49 AM EDT (US)     10 / 18  
will do

posted 10-02-06 02:42 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18  
Goblins now added, stats to follow shortly

posted 12-08-07 11:42 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18  
Great GUide REally HElps WithElves And Goblins Yea Drogoth Sucks.

But hes useful when u us spiderriders first to take out archers and archer buildings.
posted 02-16-08 11:50 AM EDT (US)     13 / 18  
1st time i played as goblins i thought Dogoth was gonna was gonna be a "super" hero and was disapointed , i agree with DogothRush, if u can destroy the archers, than he can do a lot o havoc
posted 12-24-08 05:03 AM EDT (US)     14 / 18  
Unstuck- new index up and running

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 05-28-09 00:48 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18  
VERY NICE GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
posted 06-28-09 04:59 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18  
But i lub drogoth
And he quite good imo :S, he is just a lategame hero and so is quite expensive.
Well i guess when evryone is massing archers and towers as some do here, conlclduing form their posts, he is less uselfull..:P
And when im vs him i rly need mass achers vs him, the other player must be pretty stupid to lose him to only a few.

But im not rly a goblin player :P ^^

About he elven hero's i agree about haldir.
But i have to disagree about glorfindel. Well i don't rly know what you mean wit frontline assault but glorfindel is the elves siege machine, and should be used to harras and take out pb's (and than escape with blade of purity :P) the whole time.
Legolas and Tranduil are both anti-cav hero's. Legolas hawkstrike is great against cav <3 (specialy wen they are clumped around your rb) But mostly i prefer Tranduil :P. You could mention that

Arwen and Elrond are pretty uesless in this patch, i never get them in this patch.
posted 09-26-09 00:10 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18  
Man, please give the Goblins some respect!
All three of the heros you mentioned for Goblins, you basically said they all stank.
I have nothing to say for Gorkil... He does stink.

But Shelob has armor that would compete with anyone, plus she does trample damage. And Drogoth paired with spider riders is extremely effective! Cause after you whip him out, the enemy is forced to mass archers in order to counter him, after which you retreat him and lead the archers right into your riders.

Azog, my namesake comes in in RoTWK, and he's an extremely cheap hero who levels like crazy. I once leveled him three times on a single warg lair!
posted 09-30-09 02:53 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18  
At least in 1.06 Gorkil is an excellent hero tbh....
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Innsider (Strategies) » Using Heroes - Elves, Dwarves, Goblins
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames