Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to Angmar
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 12-14-06 09:15 PM EDT (US)   
Legolaim's Guide to Angmar

How to rush with Angmar:

Agmar isn't all too flexible when it comes to rushes. Really all you can do is build thrall masters or wolves at the start. I suggest you build a mill and then 2 halls of the kings men. Start training thrall masters and try to avoid building gungaband wolf riders as on option. They are expensive and weak.

Then when your thrall master exits the hall you can create Rhudur axe throwers. Keep building thrall masters and Rhudur axe throwers until you have 6-8 battalions. Send them to destroy enemy resource buildings. Do not send only a couple of battalions because like orcs, they are weak and rely on numbers for their strength.

Later on, about mid-game, build hwaldir to create leadership for the axe throwers. This should make them very powerful to all but dwarves.

Rushing with dire wolves could also be a possibility although I don't recommend it. If you decide that you want to try this out then my build order would be :- Mill, Troll and wolf den, dire wolves, mill etc.

This would prove some use against factions like mordor and goblins. Once again, I would prefer the axe thrower strategy

How to survive with angmar mid-late game

Building the troll hero Rogash late game is a must. He owns everything. Another great unit that could be built late game are dark rangers and upgraded snow trolls. Avoid sorcerers as much as possible as I think that they are a waste of resources. Upgrade your rangers with ice arrows to devastate your enemy. Angmar requires a large economy late game and if this doesnt happen you may end up camping. Expand as much as possible and keep your enemy under control.

Having control of the map of angmar is vital like I said. This can sometimes be hard if you don't know what your going to do next. Maybe the below suggestions I have made will help your decisions.

In terms of defence. Angmar is very flexible when it comes to fortress upgrades and walls. Angmars walls can also be upgraded making it the only evil faction with upgradable walls. Buy the dark flame power for your fortress for 500 resources to provide leadership to the units surrounding it when you are under seige. The witch kings sceptor (I dont know the name) is the fortresses most powerful upgrade. Its very much like mordor's gorgonath spire except it shoots out a burst of ice wrecking havoc onto a large area. Its a good idea to save up for it.

Legolaim's unit profiles:

The thrall master (100) gives angmar its cheap units. You really have no option but to build these early game. The thrall master can build gungaband warriors, Rhudur pikemen, Rhudur axe throwers or gungaband wolf riders. The most viable option would be the axe throwers. The pikemen are untrained and find it tough taking down even cavalry. The orcs are the cheap option for angmar's infantry and I wouldn't really use them personally. The gungaband wolf riders are expensive and can die easily.

Dire wolves (250) are a relatively cheap and fast infantry option for angmar. They would do alright on the battlefield but try to avoid buying them late game as they would be weak against upgrades and cannot be upgraded themselves.

Snow Trolls (750) are the advanced cavalry unit for angmar, very interesting, and they can move swiftly on the battlefield. They are a bit pricey though at 750 resoruces. Its great to sneak these monsters to the sides of the enemy army and then bash them to the ground. Just try to avoid pikes. When at level 2 they get a powerful charge ability which is a bit like the dwarves charge ability.

Hill trolls (600) are angmars most elite pikemen. They can deliver the most crushing blow to enemy cavalry. Much like the maruders. This is a must get for late game as your enemy is nearly garunteed to have cavalry by then. Just keep them away from archers and upgraded infantry though. Hill trolls can be upgraded with heavy armour and iron blades.

Black Numenorians (400) are the elite infantry unit of angmar and can also be upgraded. They have 2 interesting abilities. The bull rush and the death masks. If you have the money to spare late game then these would be an option. They only come in battlions of 10 and are rather pricy for what they are. They will eat up your money if you can't afafford them. If you don't have the money, stay away.

• Death Masks (level 4)- Nearby units suffer 25 percent damage loss
  • Charge Attack (level 2)- Numenorians gain 50 percent more damage and armour.

Dark Rangers (500) are an awesome unit to have if you have the money. They have longshot at level 1 to return fire to mens rangers hehe. However they can only be built from a level 3 hall of the kings men. When upgraded with ice arrows they pack a massive punch. This unit is a must for late game. Dark Rangers could now be the most elite archer unit in the game.

Troll stone throwers (600) are angmar's seige equiptment. They pack a massive punch when upgraded with ice munitions. Make sure you protect the stone throwers though as they are vunerable to fire arrows and other weapons. You really dont have a choice to build this if your enemy has walls.

Sorcerers (500) cost 500 resources and have very weak armour. You must have your sorcerers protected when they are casting their spells or they will die as fast as they came. I wouldn't reccomend this unit for its weak armour

Legolaim's Hero profile

Hwaldir (1200) is angamr's cheapest hero and can provide leadership to all nearby troops. He is also a good fighter. He steal resources from an enemy's resource structures and is able to summon pikemen to help in the fight. I would buy him as a good early game hero.

Morgomir (1500) is a good support hero. Morgomir can debuff all nearby enemy units at level 1. He can also freeze a unit with his morgul blade and if they die, they become a wight. He also is able to provide leadership to all nearby numenorians and has a power called "Decay" which can do high damage to structures. I wouldnt recommend morgomir for a fighter but if your army needs support morgomir could be the perfect hero to fix that requirement.

Rogash (3000) every angmar player will love rogash. He is angmar's weapon of mass destruction. He can put an end to a large proportion of the units in front of his blade and he has a very devastating leap attack. He can take control of an enemy troll and boost his armour and damage with his level 8 power. If you have the money I strongly reccomend rogash.

The witch king (4000) is the leader of angmar. He now rides a horse instead of a fellbeast and is angmar's most powerful hero. Send him to fight on his own as much as you can because his massive area damage can also have a huge effect on your own troops if they are near the witch king. At level 2 he can debuff nearby enemy units. He also has the morgul blade which turns a unit into a wight when it dies. He also has his classical powers. Screech which sends all enemy units fleeing and the hour of the witch king which resets an enemy heroes power to "just use". I would recommend that you usethe witch king when the battle is tough. He does take a while to heal though.

Karsh (1500) is a wight of angmar. He can do some damage but he needs more powers. He is good against un-upgraded units but don't count on him to face more than 4 battalions of units. Adding to this, he is incredibly slow. Try to avoid buying him.

Legolaim
    Brigader General

[This message has been edited by Legolaim (edited 12-20-2006 @ 01:18 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 12-14-06 09:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 69  
    Feel free to take stuff from mine; I can't update it for a while.

.:|Smeagol|:.
    World in Conflict Heaven Cherub
    Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven Replay Reviewer and Ledgend

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness.
    Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
    posted 12-14-06 09:53 PM EDT (US)     2 / 69  
    Looks promising, I look forward to you adding the rest of the material!

Scotty the Fallen | One-time Angel Reincarnate, and Former BFME2H and TWH Downloads administrator, and BFME2 Strategy Administrator.
    "And I shall go softly into the night, taking my dreams, as will you." - EoJ
    "Scotty's probably the only forumer here who can make every post a defiant claim of his own superiority." - Atzy
    posted 12-14-06 10:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 69  
    Phew, thats all I can do for now. I'll continue work on this later .

PS, can this be stickied?

Legolaim
    Brigader General
    posted 12-14-06 10:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 69  
    Before it can be stickied, I would request that you first elaborate a little more on actual strategies for angmar. try adding more for rushes and some info on mid and late game strategies.

Scotty the Fallen | One-time Angel Reincarnate, and Former BFME2H and TWH Downloads administrator, and BFME2 Strategy Administrator.
    "Scotty's probably the only forumer here who can make every post a defiant claim of his own superiority." - Atzy
    posted 12-14-06 10:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 69  
    Will do

Legolaim
    Brigader General
    posted 12-15-06 03:29 PM EDT (US)     6 / 69  
    Ok. Since SS won't sticky this I have to wait for bendak for a long while

Legolaim
    Brigader General
    posted 12-15-06 05:12 PM EDT (US)     7 / 69  
    :O How long did it take you to write that? Nice btw but as $$ said there's hardly any strategy in your post.On a side note the wolves look like sheep :P
    posted 12-15-06 05:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 69  
    Try reading the top merc ><. It took about 1 and a half hours to write.

Legolaim
    Brigader General

[This message has been edited by Legolaim (edited 12-15-2006 @ 05:46 PM).]

posted 12-15-06 05:47 PM EDT (US)     9 / 69  
    I didn't say there was none I said there was hardly any. I think I'm gonna write a strategy guide for Dwarves soon (when I get the full game eg)
    posted 12-15-06 05:49 PM EDT (US)     10 / 69  
    You can't use many rush strategies with angmar like I said. I cant tell people what to do fully as it would be me playing not them. I would recommend you play a few games online with 1.06 and when you think your ready then you can try and make a guide.

Legolaim
    Brigader General
    posted 12-15-06 05:55 PM EDT (US)     11 / 69  
    I don't see how it would be you playing if you told them a good strategy not them. The whole point of people reading a strategy guide is to learn about a new strategy, discover a new way to play that faction. Your guide is pretty good, you have detailed descriptions of units and you do have a little strategy, I'm just saying there could be more. If you can't take constructive criticism then state that. Anyways, I don't feel like talking to you ATM after what you did.

PS 1 1/2 hours? You must be pretty dedicated

posted 12-15-06 06:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 69  
    You don't have the game so you probably wouldnt know what strategies in BFMEII are.

Anywho... I will try and include more advice.

Legolaim
    Brigader General

[This message has been edited by Legolaim (edited 12-15-2006 @ 06:08 PM).]

posted 12-15-06 11:45 PM EDT (US)     13 / 69  

Quote:

I think I'm gonna write a strategy guide for Dwarves soon (when I get the full game eg)

Hey merc, the stats have really changed from 1.00 I don't know if you can make a strategy guide without playing the full game first. You're welcome to try though.

Smoke Rings Award Winner
    Chill with me.
    posted 12-16-06 05:59 AM EDT (US)     14 / 69  
    Lego, you say that some things are expensive and so on. Can't you add the actual price so we can see the cost by ourselves? And do Angmar have any interesting new buildings you could tell us about?

Pigelin and Paronsplit - da mean killing machine
    Or, maybe not...

posted 12-16-06 09:27 AM EDT (US)     15 / 69  
    Nice Lego, very well done with all the in-depth descriptions and pics.

p.s. Just so you know, your picture for Karsh isn't loading.

Heck to the darkness
    "That's fairly similar to what I thought you sounded like. Deep, gravelly, and wise sounding. Though the gravelly bit could've been mic quality?" -Atzy
    "HeavenGames forbid!" -Smeagolfan24

[This message has been edited by GandalfDaGraay (edited 12-16-2006 @ 09:28 AM).]

posted 12-16-06 11:09 AM EDT (US)     16 / 69  
    I disagree with your take on Rogash, Lego. Once his Leap is used up, he's nothing, especially against pikes and archers.

.:|Smeagol|:.
    World in Conflict Heaven Cherub
    Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven Replay Reviewer and Ledgend

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness.
    Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
    posted 12-16-06 02:14 PM EDT (US)     17 / 69  
    Yeah Lego, maybe you could add some prices and pop usage for reference.

Stickied!

posted 12-16-06 04:17 PM EDT (US)     18 / 69  
    Lego, could you tell a little about what the Black Numenorians' bull rush and the death masks do? Thanks!

Heck to the darkness
    "That's fairly similar to what I thought you sounded like. Deep, gravelly, and wise sounding. Though the gravelly bit could've been mic quality?" -Atzy
    posted 12-16-06 05:08 PM EDT (US)     19 / 69  
    I added costs and I personally went in the game to find out what death masks and charge attacks do for GandalfDaGray

So dedicated am I

@smeagolfan dont send in rogash on his own

Legolaim
    Brigader General

[This message has been edited by Legolaim (edited 12-16-2006 @ 05:10 PM).]

posted 12-16-06 05:35 PM EDT (US)     20 / 69  
    Thanks Lego. That is dedication indeed if your game takes as long to load as mine.

Heck to the darkness
    posted 12-16-06 09:36 PM EDT (US)     21 / 69  
    I did take quite a while :s.

Now its complete and avalible for everyone to enjoy!

Legolaim
    Brigader General
    posted 12-17-06 03:49 PM EDT (US)     22 / 69  
    you can't rush with dire wolves though..they do nothing to buildings

Dreyemir (You have yet to see true power!)
    posted 12-17-06 04:15 PM EDT (US)     23 / 69  
    I know that

but peeps wanted more rushes

Legolaim
    Brigader General
    posted 12-17-06 07:04 PM EDT (US)     24 / 69  
    angmars seige costs 600
    posted 12-17-06 08:27 PM EDT (US)     25 / 69  
    ok thanks von, I wasn't sure about that.

Legolaim
    Brigader General
    « Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Innsider (Strategies) » Guide to Angmar
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames