The Innsider (Strategies)
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Atzy, Blatant

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to 1.06 Dwarves
posted 12-17-08 06:29 PM EDT (US)   
Guide to 1.06 Dwarves

Whether you are an experienced Dwarven player or completely new to Dwarves, this guide should help you become better online or against the AI.

Overview

Dwarves is a very unique faction, being both strong and slow. Mines are used to counter their lack of speed, which gives a huge advantage to Dwarven units. Guardians, the basic infantry unit of the Dwarves, are stronger than any other basic infantry unit in the game. Dwarven buildings have more health than other factions’ buildings, which is a huge advantage. Dwarven heroes are similar to Dwarven units in that they are slow but incredibly strong. Most heroes are also effective at destroying buildings.

Heroes and their uses:

Gloin – as a cheap hero, he is usually purchased early to mid-game. He has many uses, though I prefer to have him charge the enemy’s fortress and take it down early in the game.

His level 1 Slam can damage a building or a clump of units with great effect. This power is best on resource structures or neutral lairs.

Gloin’s level 4 Shake Foundation can severely damage buildings and deactivate them for 10 seconds. This power works well against any structure, and can often one-hit-kill resource buildings or towers. This is also useful against a fortress, removing a large chunk of its health and preventing it from firing arrows for a precious 10 seconds. With a 60 second recharge time, this power is incredibly useful.

Gloin’s level 10 Shatter Hammer is his final power and is immensely powerful. Its only drawbacks are the fact that you have to get to level 10 to use it and its long recharge time of 120 seconds. Otherwise, this is an amazing power that can be used effectively against structures or units.

King Dain – as an average-costing hero, he is purchased mid-game most often. He serves as a unit/hero supporter with his multitude of buffing powers.

His level 1 Leadership gives nearby units +50% armor and damage, and doubles their experience gain rate. This power is useful in that it will keep your troops alive longer and make them dish out more damage. Dain’s Leadership can often be the deciding factor in any battle.

Dain’s level 4 Mighty Rage buffs both units and heroes, giving them +25% speed and damage. Its long recharge time is a drawback, but otherwise this power is extremely useful in almost any circumstance.

His level 7 Stubborn Pride makes nearby units immune to fear, which protects them from abilities such as the Fellbeast Screech or Shelob’s Instill Terror. This is useful when facing an evil faction, but otherwise does not have much use.

King Dain’s level 10 Summon Royal Guard summons six battalions of dwarves to his side. This power is useful for defending Dain when he has low health or for occupying the enemy while flanking from the side.

Gimli – as a more expensive hero, he is usually purchased mid to late-game. He is effective against both units and buildings.

His level 1 Axe Throw is useful for taking out a troublesome troll or an enemy hero with low health. It has a low recharge time of 30 seconds, so can be used often.

Gimli’s level 2 Leap can disrupt an enemy formation and kill a lot of units. This power is most useful when Gimli is surrounded, creating a gap for him to escape.

Gimli’s level 5 Slayer gives him a major buff, increasing his attack by 200% and attack speed by 100%. This is extremely useful in killing enemy heroes or units with heavy armor.

Units and their uses:

Guardians – the strongest basic infantry unit in the game, this unit has strong defense and moderate attack power. Can be used for most tasks, including destroying enemy buildings or units. With heavy armor and forged blades, Guardians are a force to be reckoned with. You can purchase Banner Carriers at level 1 for increased effect.

Phalanxes – the basic pike unit for the Dwarves, this unit is very effective in taking out enemy cavalry or creeping. Phalanxes have moderate defense and moderately strong attack power, and are useful against resource buildings and also heroes. Banner Carriers can be purchased at level 1 for increased effect.

Axe Throwers – the basic range unit for the Dwarves. Effective against units and buildings, their drawback is their short range. Can be lethal when equipped with forged blades. Axe Throwers are also effective at killing Ents. Banner Carriers can be purchased at level 1 for increased effect.

Men of Dale – the elite archer unit for the Dwarves, the Men of Dale have a long firing range and reload fast. They can be equipped with fire arrows for increased damage output. This unit is useful when garrisoned in a tower, and is the Dwarves’ strongest defense against troublesome flying units such as Fellbeasts. Their black arrow ability triples their damage rate, and so is very useful against any kind of unit. As with the rest of the Dwarven units, Men of Dale can be upgraded with Banner Carriers for increased effect.

Demolisher – a very strong ram that is supereffective against buildings. It can deploy itself to increase armor, however this makes it immobile until undeployed. Its only drawback is its speed, which allows cavalry or even normal units to overtake it and destroy it.

Battle Wagon – a chariot-like siege unit that can be upgraded with several different attachments. It is very fast, and can trample enemy units. The Battle Wagon’s barrel throw is useful against both buildings and units. Unfortunately, the Battle Wagon gets owned by pikes.

Catapult – a very long-range siege unit that fires two rocks at the same time. This is most often used against enemy fortress attachments and on the fortress itself. Can be upgraded with flaming ammunition to greatly increase damage.

Dwarven Buildings:

Mine Shafthe resource-providing structure of the Dwarves. Generates resources based on available terrain, and increases command point limit by 50. Also provides access to the Dwarven Tunnel Network. Units can enter one Mine Shaft and emerge from any other Mine Shaft on the map.

Hall of Warriors – this trains Guardians and Phalanxes at level 1. It can be upgraded once for +10% build speed and twice for +25% build speed. Acquires a defensive arrow tower when it reaches level 3.

Archery Range – this trains Axe Throwers at level 1. It can be upgraded to level 2 to train Men of Dale. It can be upgraded to level 3 to enable the research of Fire Arrows. A defensive tower is also added at level 3.

Forge Works – this trains Demolishers at level 1, Battlewagons and Catapults at level 2, and all of the Dwarven upgrades at level 3.

Battle Tower – this sturdy tower fires at any hostile units within a large radius. It can be garrisoned with archers for increased damage. Fire Arrows can also be purchased to increase the tower’s damage output.

Hearth – this serves the same function as a well for Men and a Mirror of Galadriel for Elves. Any allied units/heroes within its radius heal over time. Try to build several of these to keep your forces alive.

Heroic Statue – this statue gives allies within its radius a useful damage and armor bonus. They also gain experience twice as fast.

Wall Hub – this allows for the expansion of walls to protect your base. Nothing else to it.

Fortress – this is the strongest Dwarven building, and is the most expensive. You can train heroes and builders from it, and can also upgrade it with multiple additions.

Dwarven Palantir Powers:

5 Power Points:

Rallying Call – this power gives selected units +50% damage and +50% defense. This is most useful when attacking a fortress or other building.

Rebuild – this power instantly heals a selected building by a large amount. Use this on your fortress to regain about half of its health, or on other important buildings. This power is also useful on gates when defending a fortress.

Heal – this power heals the selected units and revives one dead unit per battalion. This is useful in any situation, though particularly when your hero is in danger.

10 Power Points:

Summon Men of Dale – this power summons 3 battalions of elite Dwarven archers to the battlefield. They are very good at killing enemy trolls or other monsters. I would recommend using this power to back up your army during a battle.

Summon Hobbit Allies – this power summons 3 battalions of Hobbits, plus Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin. These Hobbits can easily kill archers or cavalry from afar, and are also efficient at taking down enemy heroes. This power is most useful when used behind enemy lines or as a distraction.

Lone Tower – this power summons a permament Battle Tower that is extremely useful when defending a Mine Shaft or other building. The Battle Tower is also very good at killing enemy archers and cavalry, but is especially weak against swordsmen and pikemen.

Dwarven Riches – this power raises a select Mine Shaft’s resource production by 300%. Use on protected Mine Shafts to boost your economy immensely.

15 Power Points:

Barrage – this power summons several giant rocks that rain down upon a selected area. This is extremely useful against armies and most buildings. Your units can also take damage from the rocks however, so be careful.

Undermine – this power summons a permanent Mine Shaft that instantly becomes connect to the Dwarven Tunnel Network. The Mine Shaft does not produce resources, but is useful for quickly getting your forces behind enemy lines.

Cloud Break - this power creates rays of light that spread across the battlefield, stunning enemy units for a short period of time. This can be used with Summon Men of Dale or Barrage for great effect.

25 Power Points:

Earthquake – this power creates an earthquake at the selected location. Use this on an enemy’s base to eliminate everything except the fortress. This is good for finishing an enemy off or when you are about to charge.

Summon Citadel – this power summons a permanent citadel to the battlefield. It has about the same health a a Fortress, but heals a lot faster. You can train builders and heroes at the citadel.

Popular Rush Strategies:

Gloin Rush – the main idea here is to get Gloin as fast as you can and rush straight to the enemy fortress. Getting a few Guardian units can be helpful in case Gloin’s charge fails. Destroying neutral lairs with Gloin is a good strategy, as it easily raises him to level 4 so he can use his Shake Foundation on the enemy fortress. This power can easily take off a quarter of the fortress’s health. Once the fortress is destroyed, continue with Gloin to destroy the remaining buildings. If possible, ignore resource structures and units, as these only get in the way.

Build Order: Forward Mine, Hall of Warriors, Mine, Gloin, Mine, Guardians, Guardians

Demolisher Rush – the plan here is to pump out Demolishers to devastate the enemy base. A Forge Works near the enemy base but hidden is a good idea, but a Forge Works by your base works well also. Note that you will want to have units to support your demolishers, or they will get owned by cavalry or pikemen. I like combining this rush with the Gloin Rush.

Build Order: Mine, Forward Forge Works, Mine, Hall of Warriors, Mine, Demolisher, Demolisher

Guardian Rush – I don’t use this strategy very often, but I have seen it efficiently destroy a base in record time. You want to pump out as many Guardians as possible, optionally purchasing Siege Hammers for a huge damage increase. A forward Mine is essential in this strategy, as it greatly decreases the time it takes to reach the enemy base. Every few Guardian units you train, you will want to train a Phalanx unit for creeping and protection against enemy cavalry. Send all the Guardians to the enemy base and destroy the buildings. When doing this, it is a good idea to send one or two units head-on to distract the enemy, while sending your main force from behind. This way you won’t get destroyed by archers as easily.

Build Order: Forward Mine, Hall of Warriors, Mine, Guardians, Guardians, Mine, Phalanx, Guardians

Final Thoughts:

I hope this guide has helped you become a better player. Dwarves are arguably the best faction, and mastering them is essential to playing online. If you have any questions or suggestions for the guide, please post here.

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson

[This message has been edited by Blatant7 (edited 01-03-2009 @ 06:33 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-17-08 06:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28  
Good, good job. Are you going to do an RotWK guide for the dwarves? Because I intended to do one after I finished my cheap elf hero guide.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
posted 12-17-08 06:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 28  
Good, good job. Are you going to do an RotWK guide for the dwarves? Because I intended to do one after I finished my cheap elf hero guide.
That was actually my plan after finishing this guide, but if you want to write it I'll leave it to you.

posted 12-17-08 08:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 28  
Very nice guide, Blatant. I call dibs on RotWK MotW!

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
posted 12-18-08 08:48 AM EDT (US)     4 / 28  
That was actually my plan after finishing this guide, but if you want to write it I'll leave it to you.
You do it, I'll do one on Mordor (1.06 and ROTWK).

We should each take 2 factions, then whoever wants the seventh factioon can have that too.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

posted 12-18-08 10:29 AM EDT (US)     5 / 28  
But....I don't know much about 1.06 men, or much about 1.06 at all.....maybe I'll take RotWK Men and Goblins.

posted 12-18-08 11:52 AM EDT (US)     6 / 28  
Ok. I know enough 1.06 I can do some guides on it.

posted 12-18-08 12:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 28  
Nicely done. During the holidays I'll upload this (and others) onto the site. However, for now, I'll Newsie.
If it's not done by christmas, e-mail me!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 12-18-08 12:15 PM EDT (US)     8 / 28  
I think we'll have a lot more strategy articles coming in, which is what this site needs.

posted 12-18-08 06:34 PM EDT (US)     9 / 28  
I think we'll have a lot more strategy articles coming in, which is what this site needs.
Yeah. Together we can get multiplayer activity going too.

posted 12-19-08 08:34 AM EDT (US)     10 / 28  
That will be amazing.

Ok, my cheap elf hero guuide will up in ~15 minutes and hopefully my Mordor guide will be on today as well. I will do an Isengard guide and a guide to the Elves. I'll need your help on the Elven guide when I'm done with it though because I don't usually play Elves.

I also intend to do a walkthrough that covers all the Palantir Powers and tells what the powers strength and weaknesses are. I'll probably rate them on a scale of 1-10.

I also want to get Replay of the Week and Tip of the Week going again when we start the tournament.

posted 12-19-08 10:59 AM EDT (US)     11 / 28  
My MotW guide is taking a long time.

posted 12-19-08 01:57 PM EDT (US)     12 / 28  
Heck, I'll make a hotkey guide next week.

posted 12-19-08 06:17 PM EDT (US)     13 / 28  
I don't want to be left out. I'm going skiing until the 23rd, so during that time I'll think of/write guides. Oh, and are your guides for 1.06 or 2.01? I've had far more experience with 1.06, so writing guides for ROTWK will be a challenge for me.

posted 12-19-08 07:06 PM EDT (US)     14 / 28  
I have more RotWK experience. II can do both. You can do the 1.06 versions or Nacht's 2.01 guides and I can do all of my own.

If you want me to finish your dwarven one I will gladly do that. I play Mordor and Dwarves the most.

posted 12-20-08 08:49 AM EDT (US)     15 / 28  
Another great strategy to the dwarves would be the Ambulance strategy. It always helps me in my games!

You build a Battlewagon and buy a hearth (healing object) on it. Then you send an army with this wagon and after every battle, units could heal beside it. This is excellent on large maps and during sieges while containing an enemy from escaping or road-blocking an important passage.

I really don't think the battlewagon is any good for anything except for this strategy.
posted 12-20-08 04:40 PM EDT (US)     16 / 28  
You'd be surprised. Battlewagons are more effective than one would think at first glance. Their great for mowing down a few battalions of archers and their oil barrel ability is also pretty helpful.

posted 12-20-08 07:10 PM EDT (US)     17 / 28  
I like to send battlewagons around back and take out the archers and then take out resource buildings while my foot soldiers plow through there guys and i personally think that Blatant took the idea of demolisher rush and gloin rush combined from me because we were playing and he saw me use it but im sure i did not make that strategy up. He probably saw it before but i am a big fan of that one.
posted 12-21-08 11:08 PM EDT (US)     18 / 28  
Cool! I only knew that till later, but I still like my strategy.

I made that up myself when using the demo and it helps a lot in late games, extremely large maps (500 x 500) , War of the Ring mode, and after battles.

The latter is most effective so after a city's desperate attack force is destroyed, you will not be destroyed by an enemy counterattack force because your forces heal while advancing.

Sun Tzu said mobilization is the key to victory: the foolish general waits for supplies (in this case, healing) and is defeated by an enemy army while the wise general moves into the enemy territory and surprises the enemy because he gives them no time to prepare.

The hearth-wagon ambulance is unique to the Dwarves, do not underestimate it. It can easily turn the tide of battle without the need of creating reinforcements.
posted 12-27-08 12:41 PM EDT (US)     19 / 28  
Great guide Blatant!
I just wanted to add something on the Guardian Rush and the Gloin Rush.
I've found it extremely effective if you make one Phalanx and one Guardian instead of two Guardians.
You see, it seems to give a better balance to your early game army, plus Phalanxes are a lot faster than Guardians and seem to do more damage when clumped against Resource/Production buildings.
You can use your Guardians to block enemies whilst your Phalanxes unleash havoc on their base.

Also,wouldn't it be better to attack Resource/Production buildings first with the Gloin Rush?

He can kill a resource stucture in about 3 to 5 hits and his shake foundation kills production buildings in one hit!
You can keep your opponent pinned down with Gloin until you get heavy fortress kicking equipment out!

Hope these suggestions are helpful! And thank you again for a most useful guide!

Skill in battle is proven by who's left standing.
Impossibility is merely a matter of strategy.
posted 01-01-09 12:34 PM EDT (US)     20 / 28  
It's up.

I'm going to dig around for some pictures, but the completion of the powers would also be very nice

posted 01-01-09 12:42 PM EDT (US)     21 / 28  
Oooh, nice EoJ. Can you get the others up there?

posted 01-01-09 12:53 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28  
I'm going to dig around for some pictures, but the completion of the powers would also be very nice
Yes sir. I almost forgot about this guide while writing my Elven 1.06 guide, but this one will be finished in the next day or so. I will also add Dwarven buildings, as I have done in the Elven guide.

posted 01-01-09 01:59 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28  
Can you get the others up there?
That's the aim. I'd also quite like either a guide on a rush (a la AoKH if possible) or a walkthrough a campaign scenario if possible

posted 01-03-09 06:33 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28  
Finally updated as promised. Sorry for the delay.

posted 01-03-09 06:51 PM EDT (US)     25 / 28  
That reminds me....

posted 04-14-09 01:40 PM EDT (US)     26 / 28  
If you dont mind a question from a nubie?

Why would you want, if you guardian rush, to start with
fwd mine, rax, mine
instead of mine, rax, fwd mine?
(or mine, mine, rax, fwd mine)
you need both mines anyway to transport troops, so why build the fwd one first? it will give a worse economy?:S
Its for extremely large maps or what? But than you don't send immediately your first Guardian to the enemy so anyway, mine, rax fwd mine would be better imo? It's just logical to me :S

Also why is the most used Dwarf strat not mentioned? The creeping start (mine, rax, mine near wargcreep or trollcreep, pike, creep with pikes. Btw not sure if first the pike or mine... i don't play dwavres very often :S more like never) since this is how i learned dwarves:S

Enlighten me.

thx

P.s sorry for my bad English etc.

[This message has been edited by Chandomai (edited 04-14-2009 @ 01:41 PM).]

posted 01-11-10 06:23 PM EDT (US)     27 / 28  
Chandomai,

I suppose he suggested building the forward mine first because by the time that mine is complete you will most likely have the other necessities ready.

You also want to get your builder out there before your enemy begins to expand with his troops (so your builder doesn't run into them).

I'm only taking an educated guess, hehe.
posted 01-16-10 06:11 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28  
No, if you go for:

mine
rax
fwd mine

You can build your fwd mine at a good location precisely at 300 recourses, unless the map is really large like forlindon. So you get the 2 mines at the earliest time possible doing this mine rax mine build. Earlier than placing the fwd mine first because in that case you will have less income at the beginning (later mine) and get the 2nd later.

On large maps I would just go for mine mine rax :P. But in that case you and blatant are right I think, though I never tried it.
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Innsider (Strategies) » Guide to 1.06 Dwarves
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames