loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Resources/FAQ [World Builder]
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 04-01-06 10:14 PM EDT (US)   
World Builder Scenario Design FAQ
Maintained by Pulkit
Special thanks to former staff member FD2 and our contributors

The Battle for Middle Earth 2 World Builder, although complicated, is a powerful tool enabling designers to create new maps for the game. This thread is to teach the basics, and to ask questions, which will then be added to the continually expanding FAQ.

To start, get yourself acquainted with the Worldbuilder by exploring the various tools and options in the program. Take your time, and learn the structure. You can then read the tutorials to get set for map-making. Tutorials and Guides by EA or submitted by users, all can be found in the Tutorials and guides section below!

If you have any questions, then in your browser, press Ctrl+F to open the Find toolbar in which you may type the keywords of your question. Search for your keywords and locate the right question. If no such question exists, then ask it here.

Contents

Basic FAQ
Tutorials and Guides

Basic FAQ

Q. How do I get to the scenario editor?
A. Unlike games like the Age series, the editor is a seperate program. It can be accessed by your personal directory or the default: C://Program Files/Electronic Arts/Battle for Middle-earth 2/Worldbuiler.exe You can also try this on your 'run' section.

Q. How do I start a new map?
A. In the Worldbuilder, go to File -> New (or Ctrl+N)

Q. How do I save my map?
A. In the Worldbuilder, go to File -> Save (or Ctrl+S)

Q. Where do I place downloaded maps?
A.
Go to My Computer -> C: -> Documents and Settings and enter the folder with your user name. If a folder titled 'Application Data' is visible, then enter it. If it is absent, then goto Tools -> Folder Options and under the 'View' tab, select the 'Show hidden files and folders' option.
In the Application Data folder, goto My Battle for Middle-earth(tm) II Files -> Maps and place the folder containing the downloaded map here.

Q. I saved my map, but it isn't showing up.
A.
Make sure you saved your map in the correct folder. While saving, make sure the 'User Maps' tab is selected. Donot forget to enter a name and description for your map in the Map Settings found in the Edit Menu in the Worldbuilder.

Q. Where will my map show up in the game?
A.
The map is added in the maplist present in the game. Custom-made maps have a 'hammer' icon next to them. You can find your map in the list of skirmish maps.

Q. The AI isn't building any resource structures.
A.
The AI will only build economy structures on Farm Templates. You need to place down Farm Templates by clicking on 'Place Objects', then going to Objects -> ByNativeType -> Neutral -> Structure and select Farm Template. Place the Farm Templates on the map. Make sure you space them out so that there's minimum overlap of the white circles. The AI will build economy structures on these spots. Also, place the AI structures a little away from the Player start point, since the AI needs space to build Production Structures close to the start point.

Q. Are there any tutorials? Where can I find them?
A.
EA and our contributors have written many tutorials and guides, all available in the Tutorials and Guides section at the bottom of this FAQ.

Q. How can I rotate buildings?
A.
First place the bulding, then return to the normal mode by selecting Select and Move tool or simply by right-clicking on the map. Then, select the building by either select the spot it's built on or by dragging a box around it. Once selected, you'll notice a colourful circle at the center of the building, showing it is selected. The circle will have a short line protruding from it, this is the direction of the building. Zoom in, and carefully place your mouse pointer over this line, click and hold, and move your mouse to rotate the building. Release the hold once your building is facing the desired direction.

Q. I cannot see whether a building is selected.
A.
Make sure the 'Show Objects Icon' option is enabled in the 'View' menu.

Q. What are waypoints? How can I make a waypoint path?
A.
Waypoints are location markers that you can place on the map for your facility, as well as for using in triggers (for example, to mark a place to spawn new units). You can also make a path using waypoints to facilitate patrolling, movement etc. To make a waypoint path, place a waypoint, then click on it and drag to the next point. A brown line will show the path. You may continue this to make a path of any number of waypoints, and you may also connect it to the first to form a cycle.

Q. How is terrain height altered? (Raising or lowering)
A.
Use the Terrain Brush tool in the toolbar to raise or lower the ground. Select the desired options in the Terrain Brush Options dialog box and apply the height changes on the map. Click and brush the region with your mouse pointer to cumulate the raising or lowering effect.

Q. How can I create hills and mountains?
A.
To create hills, just use the Height Brush and select a height that is not much heigher the the map height. Select cell and feather size as per choice, preferably large. To create mountains and sharp heights, use the Mound tool in the toolbar. However, to create good mountains, use the Height Brush first to create the base for your mountain(s). Once a basic shape has been created, use the Mound tool to make the finer details.

Q. How can I create valleys and canyons?
A.
Use the Dig tool in the toolbar to create deep depressions in the ground. Adjust the Brush Size, Feather Size and the Height to lower as desired. Use the Height Brush if you wish to lower the ground for shallow depressions.

Q. How are Rivers created?
A.
Rivers can be created using the River tool in the toolbar. First, use the Dig or Height Brush tool to make the river channel. Next, select the River Tool, then click and hold the mouse button on any location of the map. Now, drag the mouse pointer to another location and release the hold. You will see a black line connecting two points. Click and drag the black line to another location. A new black line will be created connecting two points, thus forming a rectangle. The four points will be connected by flashing blue lines. Adjust the height of the water in the Options box, till it is visible on the ground. You can move the river by moving the individual four corner points. You can create more points in between to create curves, by selecting the River tool and clicking on one of the blue lines. Create as many points as desired, and move them to make the desired shape of the river. You may need to modify the terrain for improving the river's appearance.

Q. How are Lakes made?
A.
Lakes can be made using the Lake/Oceans tool in the toolbar. First use the Dig tool to dig the lake bed. Next, select the Lake tool and click around the lake perimeter to create points that encompass the lake and complete a polygon. Create as few points as possible, to prevent excess load on the game. Once the lake polygon is complete, adjust the water height in the Options box, till the lake is visible and is at the desired level. You may have to modify the terrain to improve the lake's appearance.

Q. Can you use the World Builder to make RPG scenarios?
A.
Yes. The Worldbuilder is power-packed to facilitate RPG gameplay. Maps such as the in-game campaigns can be made, and the WB supports a lot of features like camera animations for videos, closeups, character modifications and a wide range of triggers to make any scenario possible.

Q. In the evil/good campaigns of BFME2 we saw intro videos at the beginning of each scenario. Any idea how that can be done using the builder?
A.
The videos are separate files from the map, and therefore you cannot make them in the WB. You'll need to make separate movie files like the EA movie files externally. You can, however, replicate the videos with in-game camera animations by using scripts for Camera, or using the Camera Animation feature.

Q. I made my animations, but then how do you get it to run on your map?
A.
You'll need scripts to run the animation. For the effect, choose 'Move using Camera Animation' in the Camera effects and select your animation (don't forget to name it first).

Q. How is text displayed in maps?
A.
You can add text to maps by making a notepad file and saving it as .STR in your map folder. In the file, write the text in three lines as:
Headline
"Your text here"
End
Then, use the Script Interface -> Display Text and enter the Headline in the space provided.
If you wish to change the line (the Enter key) in your text, then write /n.

Q. Are there triggers in the World Builder?
A.
Yes, there are triggers. They go by the name of Scripts. You create scripts using the 'Edit scripts' button in the toolbar. Create scripts in the player folders and choose the conditions and effects from the vast lists.

Q. How do you change the command points using World Builder?
A.
You can change the command points by using scripts with the Action Player -> Command Points -> Override player command points filling the appropriate values for this action. However, there may be errors in-game, such as Command points being reset to their original values on certain occassions. If something similar occurs in your game, you can prevent it by setting the script to be active forever (by unchecking the 'Deactivate' option) and also to prevent taxing the game, choose about 5-10 seconds under the 'Evaluate script' field.

Q. How do I place textures or make my terrain look more realistic?
A.
Use the 'Single Tile' or 'Large Tile' tool in the toolbar. Select the type of texture you want to apply, and paint over the desired location. Use 'Flood Fill' tool to fill a large area of map. For more details and help, see the Terrain Mixing Guide.

Q. How are the realistic (3D) waves added to oceans and seas?
A.
For this, you'll need to extract W3D models for water. The main W3D file in your BFME2 folder is a .BIG file. Open the .BIG file in FinalBIG. Check the Mini Guide Series for instructions on that, and the download link to FinalBIG.

In FinalBIG, open this W3D.BIG file, and you'll see a vast list of .w3d files. Scroll down to the files that begin with 'w' (they are arranged alphabetically). You'll see the various water files titled wtr_arnor, wtr_ettenmoors etc. To extract a model, just click on the file and goto Edit -> Extract.

Then, create your ocean using the Lake/Ocean tool. In the Options box, under FX Water Options, uncheck the Enable FX Shaders option. Then again click it, and this time a dialog box will open asking you to locate the W3D files. Select your extracted W3D files and click OK. Your new textured ocean should be visible. Then use the Wave tool to create your wave. Click on the 'Enable PCA mode' to enable it. You should now see not the ordinary 2D waves, but realistic 3D waves.

Out of all the W3D water files, only a few have waves, such as Ettenmoors, Forlindon and Gondor W3D water models (wtr_ettenmoors, wtr_forlindon, wtr_gondor).

Q. Is there a way to prevent the Fortress from being created at the Player Start Point?
A.
Yes, there is one way to avoid Fortress from being spawned. When you have placed the Player Start Point, in the Options box, set the Waypoint to 'Beacon'. This way, a fortress will not spawn. However, remember that the player must have atleast one starting building or else the player will be defeated.

An alternative is to create the Player Start Point outside the border of the map. The fortress then cannot be seen or selected. You can use Camera scripts to change the view from this Start Point to someother point present inside the map borders.

Q. Is there a way to remove the workers (or builders, porters) from being spawned at the start point?
A.
This can be done using scripts. Make the first script with the Action: Scripting -> Object List -> Add object to list. Choose a name for the list, say 'Porters', and in the type of unit, choose MenPorter for Men, WildPorter for Goblins, etc. Create a new action for each builder type, but keep the same Object list name.

Next make a script on looping, and set the action to: Scripting -> Rferences -> Set Reference to object type of player nearest team. For the object type, look for a folder named 'Object List' in the list that comes up, and select the object 'Porter' in it (the name of your object list). Select the player and the team as the team of the player (for eg. teamPlayer_1 for Player_1) and create a name for this reference, say, 'ThePorters'. Create new actions or new scripts for each player, and set different reference names for each.

Next create a third script on looping. For the action, choose: Unit (includes Structures) -- Other -> Damage or Remove -> Delete a specific unit. For the unit, locate the reference name for your Porters, in this example 'ThePorters'. You should find your Builders destroyed in the game.

You can also remove the Builders' dying sound effects by creating another script, and setting the Action as: Audio -> Sound Events -> Sound Events -- disable type. Choose the sounds, such as the 'MenBuilderVoiceDie', and in a new script 'CampSoldierDieBuilder' for the Men of the West builder sounds. This will disable these sounds for added effect.

Q. How can I place fortress like in Minas Tirith, Helm's Deep maps etc.?
A.
There are special fortresses other than each faction's fortress that can be placed on maps as an alternative. Such fortresses appear in Minas Tirith, Helm's Deep, Isengard, Minas Morgul, Erebor, Rivendell and Dol Guldur maps. Simply create one of such fortresses found in ByNativeType -> WOR -> STRUCTURES and assign it to the desired Player. However, the player's original fortress will spawn nonetheless. To prevent that, look for the question, "Is there a way to prevent the Fortress from being created at the Player Start Point?"

Q. How is the terrain made impassable?
A.
In the Terrain tools section of the toolbar, you'll find the Single Tile and Large Tile tools. Using either of these, a box will open. You will recognise this as the tool with which you paint the terrain. However, at the bottom of the box you'll find a section titled Terrain Painting Mode. In this section, select Passability. It will bring forth on their right-hand side a new set of options. Select Impassability and then paint over the map where you want it to be impassable.

Q. How is the terrain made flammable?
A.
In the Terrain tools section of the toolbar, you'll find the Single Tile and Large Tile tools. Using either of these, a box will open. You will recognise this as the tool with which you paint the terrain. However, at the bottom of the box you'll find a section titled Terrain Painting Mode. In this section, select Flammability. It will bring forth on their right-hand side a new set of options. Select Grass or Highly Flammable and paint over the part of the map where you want flammability.

Q. How can objects such as units and buildings be placed?
A.
You can place units, buildings and other objects by using the Place Objects button in the toolbar. The button possesses the symbol of the 3 dimensional axes. Clicking on this brings up a box containing a vast categorized list of objects for you to choose from. Simply click on the map to place the selected object.

Q. How do I play a Camera Animation in the game?
A.
Create a script with the default settings and desired conditions. For the Action, choose: Camera -> Move -> Move using camera animation. Select your camera animation for this.

Q. How do I detect whether a Camera Animation is over?
A.
Create a script with the default settings. For the Condition, choose: Camera -> Camera movement has finished. Choose the actions as desired.

Q. How can I block user input during a game?
A.
Use the following actions in a script: Interface -> Input -> User input -- disable and Interface -> UI HIde..

Q. What is the meaning of "Interpolation?"
A.
Interpolation means the path taken by the camera from one keyframe to another in a Camera Animation. The motion of the camera between keyframes can be tweaked using the Interpolation option in the main Camera Animations window. Selecting Smooth at any keyframe will make the motion of the camera from that keyframe to the next smooth, oriented according to the position of the camera in both the keyframes. Selecting Linear will make the motion of the camera rigid and straight from that keyframe to the next.

Tutorials and Guides

Tutorials by EA
Basic Map Designing Tutorial - A basic tutorial for beginners. Learn how to make your own Skirmish Maps in just 8 steps!
Map Design Tips - Important and useful tips on map designing.
World Builder Manual - The manual for BFME1 World Builder. Though the Worldbuilder has been modified for BFME2, there are still many similarities and the manual can be very useful for reference.
Advanced Features Tutorial - An extremely useful tutorial to the new features of BFME2 Worldbuilder that enable some advanced designing, including such effects as falling snow, fog, wave and ocean coastlines, terrain flamability, and much more.
Sample map.ini - A map.ini file containing the exact code for adding in Fog, Water Reflections, Tree Detail, and most importantly, Falling Snow. (If you'd like to create a snow map, it is highly reccommend you DO NOT change the Falling Snow ini code provided, but simply copy and paste it in to your map.ini file.)
Basic Scripting and Singleplayer Mission Guide - Advanced tutorial on creating your own Singleplayer mission, with great emphasis on Scripting. Also introduces map.ini and map.str files.
Rivendell Mission Tutorial - A technical step by step account on how first good mission in The Battle for Middle-earth 2, Rivendell, was created. It gives you some insight in to their basic map design practices, the concept and thought process behind scenario making, furnished with invaluable tips and tricks, and examination of the scripts involved.

User-submitted
Mini Guide Series - A guide for extraction of .BIG files, useful for extracting game maps, texture models etc. By BloodPhoenix
Terrain Mixing Guide - A useful guide for painting textures and making terrains look more realistic. By FD2
Creating Water Bodies - A guide to the basics of creation of water bodies such as rivers, lakes and oceans and their associated options. By Pulkit
Guide to MAP.STR: Displaying Text and Objectives - This guide discusses MAP.STR and its uses, detailing the method to display text in maps, and to make objectives for your missions. By Pulkit
Guide to Camera Animation - A comprehensive guide to using the Camera Animations feature, exploring its various nuances and learning how to implement them in creating movies or cutscenes. By Pulkit

[This message has been edited by Pulkit (edited 06-17-2007 @ 10:58 AM).]

Replies:
posted 04-03-06 12:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 55  
Looking good FD2/Pulkit! However, it may be cool to link of to some resources/tutorials? Just an idea .

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 04-03-06 03:05 PM EDT (US)     2 / 55  
Really nice look FD2. Keep it up.
posted 04-03-06 04:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 55  
BP's just pissed because someone other than him has a sticky
posted 04-03-06 04:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 55  
Yeah, the "Just an idea " thing reveals it all.

Great job anyway, FD2 and Pulkit.

====:[ BODiN ]:====
====:[ Space Commander|Core Conquest ]:====
====:[ EAW DEMO Modding Guide for Newbies ]:====
posted 04-03-06 06:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 55  
Thanks you guys. FD2 really makes it worthwhile, doesn't he?

Quote:

...link of to some resources/tutorials...

I have already added a question regarding the tutorials. We also have the BFME1 WB manual, which would be a good addition once it if accepted to be uploaded in the Blacksmith. We may also upload the EA tutorials there too.

I agree, though, that the links should be present in a good introductory paragraph. I am sharing my opinion with the staff about a lengthy intro para (should include links to tutorials, and info about how to use the FAQ etc.), and will see whether FD2 approves of it.

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
posted 04-04-06 01:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 55  
Sounds cool Pulkit, good to hear!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 04-11-06 01:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 55  
Updated with the questions from the IRC Q&A session.

Also, if you haven't noticed already, the intro paragraph now includes links to EA's tutorials as well as the BFME1 World Builder Manual.

posted 04-11-06 08:22 AM EDT (US)     8 / 55  
Cool to see the updates Pulkit!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 04-18-06 10:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 55  
"The Great Editor Still Needs Help Somtimes"

I need some help lol, I made some waves on my map i am building,

and i was wondering where to get the big 3D waves instead of this white little crapy 2D waves, the file name of the wave is wave256.tga

where in my files can i get this big wave instead of these small 2D ones?

i am resreaching my self by the way, so i may answer this question in maybe one hour. so hurry lol.

posted 04-19-06 02:14 AM EDT (US)     10 / 55  
I suppose you mean the huge waves that not only look real graphically, but also change the height of the water and stuff?

Well, for that, you'll need to extract the W3D models for water, all titled like this:
wtr_arnor
wtr_ettenmoors

Then, create your ocean using the lake/ocean tool. In the Options box, under FX Water Options, uncheck the Enable FX Shaders option. Then agina click it, and this time a dialog box will open asking you to locate the W3D files. Select your extracted W3D files and click OK. Your new textured ocean should be visible.

Out of all the W3D water files, only a few have waves, such as Ettenmoors, Forlindon and Gondor W3D water models (wtr_ettenmoors, wtr_forlindon, wtr_gondor).

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Pulkit (edited 04-19-2006 @ 02:21 AM).]

posted 04-19-06 12:34 PM EDT (US)     11 / 55  
"Well, for that, you'll need to extract the W3D models for water, all titled like this:
wtr_arnor
wtr_ettenmoors"

Ok how do I extract the w3d files? i see the main w3d file in my lord of thr rigns game folder, but its massive, and i dont know how toopen it or/make a new w3d file,

they shouyld have made that part easyer lol :l

posted 04-19-06 12:47 PM EDT (US)     12 / 55  
The main W3D file in your BFME2 folder is a .BIG file. Open the .BIG file in FinalBIG. Check the Miniguide Series thread for instructions on that, and the download link to FinalBIG.

In FinalBIG, open this W3D.BIG file, and you'll see a vast list of .w3d files. Scroll down to the files that begin with 'w' (they are arranged alphabetically). You'll see the various water files I mentioned.
To extract a model, just click on the file and goto Edit -> Extract.

Once you have extracted the file(s), follow the rest of the instructions I mentioned.

Hope I'm clear.

posted 04-19-06 01:31 PM EDT (US)     13 / 55  
wooooooooot!

thank you Pulkit you rock!

you guys are gona see some sweet looking water island maps soon lol!!

also i may make war of the realms have some water

Anyone Need A Drink?

anything think a WAve can make a meta on all units?

A wave that makes units blast back hehe im gona try it

thanks again man very help full

posted 04-20-06 01:06 AM EDT (US)     14 / 55  
I'm glad I could be of help!

Quote:

anything think a WAve can make a meta on all units?

I don't think the present wave can do so, but if you could change it, then it would be lovely!

P.S. Updated the topic post! Replaced the unused Footnotes section with a list of Tutorials and Guides.

[This message has been edited by Pulkit (edited 04-20-2006 @ 05:57 AM).]

posted 04-20-06 10:12 AM EDT (US)     15 / 55  
Cool Pulkit! Good to see updates .

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 04-20-06 01:00 PM EDT (US)     16 / 55  
I see that everything I ask here is updated to the FAQ, that cool, if you guys want some real good FAQ questions and answers, I can give you lots,

I have a new question,

I wish to make a mission online type map, I have learned how to make the fortresses not appear by making the player_1-8_start Waypoints options, Beacons instead of normal waypoints, this is used for helm’s deep and other maps that start with a different fortress/castle building.
(this would be a good FAQ with that alone,)

but my question is: is there a way to take away the workers? They seem to go right beside the player_1-8_Start Waypoints?

Also another question:
Can you make players online be a side regardless of what they chose before the game?

Like he chose elves, and he’s in player 3 place, he automatically becomes isengard, because isengard needs to be there.

This also includes spell book powers. Not just units and fortress etc.

Also may I suggest posting up a FAQ for how do I make my map rain, Lighting storm Or Snow?
And post an weather ini.file for them to download and put into there map,

also lol anyone know how to make the lighting work? I got snow and rain going great

I can make flashes in scripts, but there is a ini.file controlled lighting like the frezing rain spell book, lol there is supposed to be a chance of hitting random units “0.005" lol

[This message has been edited by jbv3737 (edited 04-20-2006 @ 01:11 PM).]

posted 04-20-06 05:26 PM EDT (US)     17 / 55  
you can kill builders with a reference script to recognize them and than kill them.
Reference Find unnamed unit of (object list with all builders) and name it x
If unit x exist than kill unit x
Both on repeat.

A new builder is selected as soon as the old one is dead and his body isnt visible anymore. To hurry up speed simple duplicate scripts and let the builders name x2,x3 etc.
If you have this script 16x all builders are dead at start.

As solution on how to let all players be 1 faction for skill tree you can set all skill trees to same skills. (see ring_wars for it), for the units just place a fortress and builders of that faction.

jbv, can you look at my topic on how to edit map.ini, I think you know how to.

posted 04-20-06 08:12 PM EDT (US)     18 / 55  
Thanks pestcontrol, Your instructions where not clear, but the idea of it was use the scripts* I thought i can do mess wiht the waypoints or an object, but ur half right, you need to use scripts and teams

i only needed one team for each player and one script

I just made a team for every player with every worker porter in it,
then i made a script that took two objects of every port type into that porter team, then just made a new script that deletes that team from the world lol im making a online mission, castle siege tpye gameplay! u all will love the new 3D waves and water front!

I think this how to delete porters should be on FAQ....
if you want me to ferther tell you how to do it i will.

also i plan to ask more questions if i run into them lol i want to know 99.9999999999999999999% of this WB and ini.files

also, for the 3D wave, wtr_ettenmoors and selver other dont work for it, i need wtr_gondor, wtr_forlindon and wtr_mmorgul, these are all i can find that work, the rest i have tested.

on umber there is one called FXWater (ors somthing like that) this one is almost like wtr_gondor, just thought u should update the FAQ with the correct ones,

[This message has been edited by jbv3737 (edited 04-20-2006 @ 08:17 PM).]

posted 04-20-06 11:25 PM EDT (US)     19 / 55  
Hey hopefully someone can help me. When I try to save a map i get an error message that says "error could not create directory 'c:'. I tried browsing and put my map into C:documents and settings andrew application data my battle for middle earth maps but it doesnt show up on the list in game. I have another map there I downloaded that works fine any ideas?
posted 04-21-06 01:33 AM EDT (US)     20 / 55  
Thanks all you guys!

Quoted from jbv3737:

I see that everything I ask here is updated to the FAQ, that cool, if you guys want some real good FAQ questions and answers, I can give you lots

That would be much appreciated! Compiling questions and their answers so that the FAQ can enlargen will only help others in learning better map designing.

Quoted from jbv3737:

s there a way to take away the workers? They seem to go right beside the player_1-8_Start Waypoints?

PestControl has replied to that, I will make it clearer. It's quite simple!

Make the first script with the Action: Scripting -> Object List -> Add object to list. Choose a name for the list, say 'Porters', and in the type of unit, choose MenPorter for Men, WildPorter for Goblins, etc. Create a new action for each builder type, but keep the same Object list name.

Next make a script on looping, and set the action to: Scripting -> Rferences -> Set Reference to object type of player nearest team. For the object type, look for a folder named 'Object List' in the list that comes up, and select the object 'Porter' in it (the name of your object list). Select the player and the team as the team of the player (for eg. teamPlayer_1 for Player_1) and create a name for this reference, say, 'ThePorters'. Create new actions or new scripts for each player, and set different reference names for each.

Next create a third script on looping. For the action, choose: Unit (includes Structures) -- Other -> Damage or Remove -> Delete a specific unit. For the unit, locate the reference name for your Porters, in this example 'ThePorters'. You should find your Builders destroyed in the game.

You can also remove the Builder dieing sound effects by creating another script, and setting the Action as: Audio -> Sound Events -> Sound Events -- disable type. Choose the sounds, such as the 'MenBuilderVoiceDie', and in a new script 'CampSoldierDieBuilder' for the Men of the West builder sounds. This will disable these sounds for added effect.

Quoted from jbv3737:

I wish to make a mission online type map, I have learned how to make the fortresses not appear by making the player_1-8_start Waypoints options, Beacons instead of normal waypoints, this is used for helm’s deep and other maps that start with a different fortress/castle building.

Will add that. Thanks.

Quoted from jbv3737:

Also may I suggest posting up a FAQ for how do I make my map rain, Lighting storm Or Snow?
And post an weather ini.file for them to download and put into there map,

I'm not much experienced in that sphere, especially considering the dangeroous map.ini file editing stuff. Wouldn't it be better if you submitted what you want? And also, since you are the most experienced person in map.ini editing, it would be great if you could post FAQ on that aspect.

Quoted from jbv3737:

I just made a team for every player with every worker porter in it, then i made a script that took two objects of every port type into that porter team, then just made a new script that deletes that team from the world

I haven't tried this, but I must before I can add that to the FAQ since it is unclear.

Quoted from jbv3737:

also, for the 3D wave, wtr_ettenmoors and selver other dont work for it, i need wtr_gondor, wtr_forlindon and wtr_mmorgul, these are all i can find that work, the rest i have tested.

on umber there is one called FXWater (ors somthing like that) this one is almost like wtr_gondor, just thought u should update the FAQ with the correct ones

Thanks, but I checked it myself and the wtr_ettenmoors file has the waves. The only files that have waves are:
wtr_ettenmoors
wtr_celduin
wtr_gondor
wtr_mmorgul
wtr_forlindon
And I haven't checked the FXD Water model, but I will later.

Quoted from androoo:

ey hopefully someone can help me. When I try to save a map i get an error message that says "error could not create directory 'c:'. I tried browsing and put my map into C:documents and settings andrew application data my battle for middle earth maps but it doesnt show up on the list in game. I have another map there I downloaded that works fine any ideas?

Hey androo. You should first select the tab 'User Maps'. But in any case, it is best to hit 'Browse', then in the correct BFME2 files folder, create a new folder with the same title as your map, and then inside this folder you should save your map. It should be visible in the game. The answer to your question was also already present in the FAQ above, the fourth and fifth question.

posted 04-21-06 07:00 AM EDT (US)     21 / 55  
Yes, I weren't clear. I thought you had used reference and kill scripts before so that it only was as reminder.
Delete the unit s better as kill, as by killing a new unit is selected only as soon as the old one his body isn't visible anymore.

You can of course also place the fortress outside the map borders, but that will cause the camera to start at the place were the base is outside.

posted 04-21-06 07:49 AM EDT (US)     22 / 55  
Placing the Starting point outside the borders is a good idea, but the only problem is that it in the minimap the Start point is still displayed, and, well, it looks weird outside the minimap.

Added all these questions!

posted 04-21-06 11:14 AM EDT (US)     23 / 55  
"Q. Is there a way to prevent the Fortress from being created at the Player Start Point?
A. Yes, there is one way to avoid Fortress from being spawned. When you have placed the Player Start Point, in the Options box, set the Waypoint to 'Beacon'. This way, a fortress will not spawn. However, remember that the player must have atleast one starting building or else the player will be defeated.

An alternative is to create the Player Start Point outside the border of the map. The fortress then cannot be seen or selected. You can use Camera scripts to change the view from this Start Point to someother point present inside the map borders."

Good Q & A But i think you could also say That You Can Use A Gondor Keep and/or other base castle buildings, this way you can name it easyly, and desroy it when ever you want,(take off their spell book powers)

posted 04-22-06 00:36 AM EDT (US)     24 / 55  
Added two more Worldbuilder files:

Quoted from EA:

The World Builder tool underwent some fantastic modifications throughout the course of development on The Battle for Middle-earth II which enabled us to enhance such effects as falling snow, fog, wave and ocean coastlines, terrain flamability, and much more. We have put together an advanced features document that is designed to showcase some of the more advanced new features of World Builder. This document is designed for those who are comfortable with the tool and ready to take their map designing skills to the next level!

Link

Quoted from EA:

The document also contains reference to a sample "map.ini" file which you can download from the link below. This ini file contains the exact code for adding in Fog, Water Reflections, Tree Detail, and most importantly, Falling Snow. If you'd like to create a snow map, we highly reccommend you DO NOT change the Falling Snow ini code provided, but simply copy and paste it in to your map.ini file. We have provided this map.ini as an example file for you to play around with, as specified in the document available above.

Link

Enjoy!

posted 05-10-06 04:24 PM EDT (US)     25 / 55  
omfg this worldbuilder shit is confusing

Grond! Grond! Grond! Grond! Grond! Grond!
*CRASH* *SQUEAK*.......*BOOM*
FIGHT
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods) » Resources/FAQ [World Builder]
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames