Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods)
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Blatant

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Want to Learn INI?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 01-29-07 08:07 PM EDT (US)   
Ask your questions here: I'll be happy to answer them. This is like the question thread, except that it's solely for INI, and the answers will be in tutorials, which are longer. Ask me an INI question. I may start by giving a mini-tutorial.

Also, please specify in your questions if this is for a mod or a mod map.

Thanks to Kester for the sticky!

Q&A

Wait, so what is this topic about?
This is about modifying BFME2, or at least some aspects.

What do you mean?
Well, basically, this topic is about coding for the game: anything related to that.

Sounds hard...
Well, it is, but once you know what to look for, and how everything's related, it gets easier.

What is ini?
The game keeps its data in files called BIG files. Basically, they compress the data within it. We're looking at the INI.big file, which contains hundreds of files. Every file in that big file ends in INI, which is the format the game uses. There are some files that end in INC, but we won't have to worry about that.
What can ini do?
Well, it can do a lot. It can add new powers to units, cause buildings to spawn specific units, and most of the things used in the game. However, ini is by no means a magical language in which everything is possible.
What's an ini file?
It's an initialization file, to be exact. It tells the game all of the information about a specific object, its modules, etc.

What's an object? And how do I get started?
I'm making tutorials right now. If you ever have a specific question, ask it on this topic. I'll be happy to help.

About Coding

In the next few weeks or so, I'll be putting up tutorials as people need them, but I'll start with object-oriented programming as it relates to BFME2.

The game's code is basically a collection of objects. Some objects do some things, and some do others. Some are buildings, and some are units. Let's start with Boromir.Object GondorBoromirBasically, all this does is tell the game that there is an object named GondorBoromir. There is nothing special about this object, except that we can call it GondorBoromir.

The following code in the game code tells the game the parameters, or the characteristics of the object. The game's code starts out with putting down the art parameters. The art parameters tell the game how Boromir is supposed to look. This is hard to code for a newbie, so let's skip it for now.

Next, you'll see all sorts of random attributes; here are some important ones:BuildCost
BuildTime
WeaponSet
ArmorSet
VisionRange = VISION_HERO_STANDARD
ShroudClearingRange = SHROUD_CLEAR_HERO
BountyValue = GONDOR_BOROMIR_BOUNTY_VALUE
DisplayName = OBJECT:GondorBoromir
RecruitText = CONTROLBAR:GondorBoromirRecruit
ReviveText= CONTROLBAR:GondorBoromirRevive
Hotkey= CONTROLBAR:GondorBoromirHotkey
CrushableLevel = 2 ;What am I?: 0 = for infantry, 1 = for trees, 2 = general vehicles

CommandSet = BoromirCommandSet
CommandPoints = 50
These are very important.
The BuildCost is how much the unit costs.
The BuildTime is how much time (in seconds) that it takes to build him.
WeaponSet is the type of weapon that Boromir uses, and under what conditions.
The armorset is the same, except for armor.
The VisionRange is how far Boromir can "see" units. If it's under attack stance and it has a large vision, it will attack units very far away.

Alex_3737's Tutorials

[This message has been edited by Ancalagon_4554 (edited 06-05-2007 @ 02:08 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-29-07 08:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 171  
How do you edit the ini?

Legolaim
Brigader General
posted 01-29-07 08:15 PM EDT (US)     2 / 171  
I'm not sure what you mean...
posted 01-30-07 02:46 PM EDT (US)     3 / 171  
well. There is a little file in the rotwk folder called "INI" if you didn't know. How do I edit balance stuff (I forgot)

Legolaim
Brigader General
posted 01-30-07 05:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 171  
Well, you open FinalBIG and edit the file.
posted 01-31-07 02:28 PM EDT (US)     5 / 171  
hello teacher lol

do u really think this topic is wise? me and jbv tried helpin ppl for a while but we were simply swamped with noobs(no offence to anybody out there) and we kinda lost the will to answer questions

also can u make me a fire tornado plz? i think i might need one but im too busy with school stuff atm

posted 01-31-07 03:27 PM EDT (US)     6 / 171  
If you are referring to me as a noob come play a game of rotwk with me. 1v1

Legolaim
Brigader General
posted 01-31-07 03:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 171  

Quote:

also can u make me a fire tornado plz? i think i might need one but im too busy with school stuff atm

If you want it done right, hire a professional.

Anyway, I need questions. Was your question answered, Legolaim?

posted 01-31-07 05:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 171  
How about this: What is "INI?" I'm obviously not a modder, but I would like to learn the basics.

.:|Smeagol|:.
World in Conflict Heaven Cherub
Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven Replay Reviewer and Ledgend

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness.
Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
posted 01-31-07 05:33 PM EDT (US)     9 / 171  
I'll try to write the basics of INI when I have time: that is my next project.
posted 02-01-07 12:42 PM EDT (US)     10 / 171  
sry if i offended anybody but i ment noobs at ini not at playin cos from wot i heard legolaim u are pretty dam awesome at Rotw

btw there are 2 types of ini editting....
1>u can edit the main ini.big file(this requires FINALBIG)to create a mod (u might also want to learn modellin if u want to be a modder)

2>u can create a map.ini file using a notepad file( this is the type of ini that is found in maps which do things that the maker wants it to, eg underworld gladiator)

posted 02-01-07 02:03 PM EDT (US)     11 / 171  
@Beserkidiot
I know you keep saying u and JBV learnt ini.files by looking at other peoples and tell other to do the same. But its time u faced the facts, hardly anyone is a super-genuis and most of them need ur help!

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 02-01-07 02:49 PM EDT (US)     12 / 171  
Hey Ancalagon. Could you make a guide on all you would like to tell me, but the thing i am looking for the most is the commandset to make objects spawn units. Yeebaagooon is right we do need help and you are the olny one that can help us.

I am a lord of custum heroes. I can glitch, give one endless heal's and make one that is very hard to kill. But if you do glitch it olny shows a weakness in your hero. cah tips and secretsTDL|Suaron

[This message has been edited by McElfy (edited 02-01-2007 @ 02:53 PM).]

posted 02-01-07 04:59 PM EDT (US)     13 / 171  
I'll make a little Q&A basic thing, then go into detail about types of modding.
posted 02-02-07 01:27 PM EDT (US)     14 / 171  
kk ill help with explanations sometimes.....

btw i also advise goin to {IP} help forums for more specific help and also JBV's site if that is still up

posted 02-02-07 04:37 PM EDT (US)     15 / 171  
{IP} isn't the best way to go, unless you're more advanced. JBV's site is down.
posted 02-13-07 01:49 PM EDT (US)     16 / 171  
Exactly how do I get it to where I can use heroes from different factions on the faction I play on? (example: putting Saruman on MOTW)
posted 02-13-07 03:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 171  
for some reason the game is not recognizing any changes I make in gamedata.ini. Is there another file countering the changes?
posted 02-13-07 05:16 PM EDT (US)     18 / 171  

Quote:

Exactly how do I get it to where I can use heroes from different factions on the faction I play on? (example: putting Saruman on MOTW)

Take a peek around playertemplate.ini. You'll find your answer there.

Quote:

for some reason the game is not recognizing any changes I make in gamedata.ini. Is there another file countering the changes?

You're using the -mod command, right? Well, that command doesn't work exactly as EA advertises. You'll want to change the data in the files themselves, or replace the .BIG file completely.
posted 02-13-07 05:50 PM EDT (US)     19 / 171  
-mod command?

I did try changing the files themselves and then putting them back into INI.big. By replaacing the .BIG file do you mean compiling the files into a new .BIG and replacing the old one?

posted 02-13-07 05:55 PM EDT (US)     20 / 171  
I have no idea how you're modding. How are you doing it?
posted 02-13-07 06:04 PM EDT (US)     21 / 171  
I'm modding with FinalBig using the edit command
Maybe it's the same thing
posted 02-13-07 06:28 PM EDT (US)     22 / 171  
What's the edit command?
posted 02-13-07 06:35 PM EDT (US)     23 / 171  
Under the Edit menu in FinalBig, there is a command called edit with editor. Then it brings up notepad and lets you change it. When you're done it saves back to INI.BIG.

The problem I'm having is that when I mod gamedata.ini and launch the game, the chamges don't take effect. Then when I check gamedata again, it is back to the original.

[This message has been edited by mastersword67 (edited 02-13-2007 @ 06:36 PM).]

posted 02-13-07 07:00 PM EDT (US)     24 / 171  
Hmmm... though this would take longer, it would be certain to work if you did it by object, instead of by gamedata.
posted 02-13-07 07:49 PM EDT (US)     25 / 171  
I did try that, but it shows variables defined in gamedata. Would it work if I replaced those with numbers as in

BuildCost = DWARVEN_EREBORTOWEREXPANSION_BUILDCOST

BuildCost = 500

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods) » Want to Learn INI?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames