You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Town Square
Moderated by Jayhawk

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Any chance of a Pharaohlympics 2004???
posted 10-31-04 14:11 ET (US)   
I know we're rather running out of 2004 to host such a thing in, but it would be nice to uphold the tradition.

I'm sure that many people would be happy to both participate in, and assist with the designing/running/judging of, such a contest.

I for one would be happy to design (not too good at that), manage (alright at that), judge (pretty good at that) or anything else that might be required. Just ask!

"You're just jealous because the little voices talk to me!" - Sara Rain Morgan
Replies:
posted 10-31-04 17:20 ET (US)     1 / 8  
I think that's a great idea!
*puts hand up for helping - though I can't design *

Smile!
posted 11-01-04 04:02 ET (US)     2 / 8  
It's a nice thought but I think most of the map designers have moved on to other games - unfortunally
posted 11-01-04 05:33 ET (US)     3 / 8  
CBC should have them... If I'm not wrong they had an all-round CB Olympics not too long ago. That includes Pharaoh, so you could count that as a "Pharaoholympics".
posted 11-01-04 06:02 ET (US)     4 / 8  
Yeah well, who needs 'pro' map designers? It might not be quite as good as it was in 2000, but we can still make a pretty good showing of it, I think!

We would need half a dozen maps or so to make it a Pharaohlympyics rather than just 'any old' competition. I was thinking that we could base them around the events in the real Olympics - so the marathon would be a really long mission, a 'swimming' event would have loads of naval stuff, and so on. I've got a great idea for the 4x100metre relay!

Great to have some support in this hair-brained scheme of mine! We just need to round up some more support. Get thinking/recruiting!

posted 11-01-04 06:53 ET (US)     5 / 8  
I certainly doubt it will happen this year. We've already run an Emperor 'Olympics' and it's an incredible amount of work.

With Children of the Nile coming out in the next few weeks I can't see anyone having time to either organise or play it.

posted 11-01-04 15:59 ET (US)     6 / 8  
I will - I can't afford the upgrades for CotN, nor the game itself for that matter. But you have a point. Maybe I should start learning how to design maps?

Smile!
posted 11-02-04 05:36 ET (US)     7 / 8  
Maybe some of the resident designers can be convinced to create a minilympics. Pharaoh seems to be the more popular CB game by far.

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
Support your local HeavenMy RecommendationsEXCOHALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 11-02-04 09:22 ET (US)     8 / 8  
Great to have your support, at least, Kedi.

GilB, you're probably right in that it might not be possible to squeeze it in before chrsitmas (and we can't really run it over christmas), so it might have to be in 2005 - and maybe that would give time to recuperate from the 'Emprolypics' you describe - although I'm sure a large number of people would still love to play.

As for Children of the Nile, I would be surprised if people would not be relieved or at least prepared to go back into a game they know back to front for a few weeks, to have a break from learning a whole new game (which they would be doing at the time). That's assuming that, unlike me and Kedi, they even have the money/time to buy the game that soon after it comes out.

As far as designers are concerned, we would need to recruit some, PDQ! Designing missions is not hard - but designing good missions is really, really tough. But any ideas or suggestions for maps/objectives would be greatly appreciated (I'm sure) by said designers (so they don't have to do too much initial thinking, and can get on with building the things). That's all assuming that we can get some designers, so if you have any hidden up your sleeve, now's the time to call them out!

CALLING ALL DESIGNERS!!! YOU WOULD HAVE OUR ETERNAL THANKS IF YOU WOULD BE PREPARED TO SPEND A FEW HOURS OF YOUR VALUABLE FREE TIME MAKING US SOME MAPS!!! PLEASE!!! WE'RE BEGGING YOU!!!

If anyone has any 'complete' ideas for any event, please post them here so we have something to work on when/if we ever get some designers to build the maps.

If we can't find any friendly designers, then we'll just have to build the maps ourselves (but that might degrade the quality of the event a little, don't you think?!?). In order for this to be a really stirling competition, though, we would need at least some of the maps (the ones where you really notice the little details (so the relay wouldn't be one of them)) to be made by experts if we possibly can!!

[This message has been edited by WinterPharaoh (edited 12-05-2004 @ 04:51 AM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » The Town Square » Any chance of a Pharaohlympics 2004???
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames