Please login or register

Zeus: Game Help
Moderated by Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Large, efficient mixed block
posted 04-24-09 17:32 ET (US)   
This really belongs split between the Housing Blocks and questions about the Housing Blocks threads, but since I can't follow my own posts I am putting it in a new one for right now. I want to get this down now while I have the time and energy, because by the way it looks it could be months to years before someone else posts in either of those threads, and by that time I may no longer feel like making the glyphs for these blocks.

After dozens of different designs I have finally created a mixed housing block and a mixed double block that I am happy with. The goal was to fit as many elite houses using as few duplicate services as possible, while allowing use of the agora back door for rapid rearming.

For the single block, I give a lot of credit to SenetEr's mixed block design, for showing me that boulevards, gazebos, and other estates are all you need to get an inside row of elite housing to evolve to estates. As a result, this block is very reminiscent of his design. It holds 17 estates, 32 townhouses, and runs off one set of services plus an extra maintenance officer.

North needs to be on the left, the block is designed to handle it in either the top or bottom left. The exit road on the upper left needs to connect to a college, drama school, and stadium. Even though the placement of supplies can be done however you like, I am including my preferred placement as well because it allows for extremely fast rearming. The wheat farm/elite house represents a horse ranch. The storehouse next to it is set to get armor. The other three hold fleece, olive oil, and wine in any order.

Maintenance Office Roadblock Storehouse
Storehouse
Granary Wheat Farm
Storehouse Elite Housing
Storehouse
Bench Bench Bench Plaza
Roadblock Foodmarket Weaponsmarket Horsemarket Maintenance Office House Plaza Plaza
Roadblock Bench Roadblock Plaza Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza House Plaza
Plaza Plaza Fleecemarket Oilmarket Winemarket House Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza House Plaza
Plaza Plaza Elite Housing Gazebo House Plaza Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Plaza House Plaza
Plaza Plaza Gazebo House Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Elite Housing Gazebo House Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Plaza House Bench Gazebo
Plaza Plaza Podium House Plaza Roadblock
Plaza Plaza Plaza House Roadblock Fountain
Plaza Plaza Roadblock
Elite Housing Bench Bench Plaza Plaza Bench Bench Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Roadblock Roadblock Roadblock Roadblock Roadblock Infirmary
Elite Housing Gymnasium Tax Office Theater Roadblock
Roadblock
Roadblock
Fishpond Roadblock
Maintenance Office

Legend

The maintenance office on the bottom is in that odd position because the MO that circles the block doesn't give enough coverage to the theater on high difficulty levels to keep it from collapsing. Since the fountain and infirmary needed a MO anyway, I decided to stretch that one back to cover the theater as well. The fish pond is necessary to evolve the estate next to the podium. You will need to surround the elite houses on the outside with enough appeal, a line of hedge mazes will do the job on Olympian.

With regards to stability, I ran this block for a long time and did not have any problems. There is, however, a possibility houses will devolve from time to time. If the athletes decide to go right several times in a row, the estates could devolve for a short while. If two of the three culture walkers both go left several times in a row (this is highly unlikely), the townhouses could devolve for a little while.

If you run into problems with stability, you can knock out two rows of elite houses in the middle, removing 4 estates and 8 townhouses, to get a guaranteed stable block of 13 estates and 24 townhouses.

Now we get to the part I was really excited about. If we are a little careful it is completely possible to build two of these, back to back, run off a single fountain and infirmary. Doing this lets you double up usage on some storeyards too. This double block holds 33 estates and 64 townhouses, runs off two sets of services, except you have only one fountain and infirmary and one extra MO.

Foodmarket Weaponsmarket Horsemarket Maintenance Office Roadblock House Pillar Pillar House Roadblock Tax Office Horsemarket Foodmarket Weaponsmarket
Roadblock Bench Roadblock Pillar Pillar Roadblock Bench Roadblock
Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza House House Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Plaza Winemarket Oilmarket Fleecemarket House Plaza Plaza House Fleecemarket Oilmarket Winemarket Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza House House Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Elite Housing Gazebo House Plaza Plaza House Gazebo Elite Housing Plaza Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Plaza House House Plaza Plaza Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Plaza Gazebo House Plaza Plaza House Gazebo Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Elite Housing Gazebo House Plaza Plaza House Gazebo Elite Housing Plaza Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Plaza House Garden Plaza Plaza Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Plaza Podium House Plaza Plaza House Podium Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Elite Housing Bench Bench Plaza Plaza Bench Bench Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Roadblock Roadblock Roadblock Roadblock Roadblock House Roadblock Bench Bench Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Maintenance Office Elite Housing
Elite Housing Gymnasium Tax Office Theater Roadblock Roadblock Gymnasium Theater
Roadblock Garden Roadblock Gazebo
Roadblock Roadblock
Fishpond Roadblock Fountain Garden Bench Fishpond
Roadblock Bench
Maintenance Office Gazebo
Roadblock Infirmary
Roadblock
Roadblock
Roadblock
Roadblock

Legend

As before, north needs to be on the left. Unfortunately, I couldn't get full coverage by the tax office on the right hand block - the farthest estate in the lower right is missed. Same comments as before about stability, I ran into no problems running this for a long time in Olympian, but the possibility is there. Cutting out two rows of estates will guarantee stability, and leave 25 estates and 48 townhouses.

If you find that the elite houses on one of the sides are not evolving, you should check to be sure that the shortest path for the culture walkers on that side is to go through the elite houses on that side, instead of going through the other side, by way of going over the townhouses in the middle.

Doubling the block also lets us use our storehouses more efficiently. Here is how I supply the blocks.

Roadblock
Roadblock Roadblock
Drama School College Maintenance Office Maintenance Office Storehouse
Granary Wheat Farm Elite Housing
Granary
Elite Housing Storehouse Storehouse
Storehouse Maintenance Office Wheat Farm Storehouse
Bench Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Bench Bench Bench Bench Bench
Roadblock Foodmarket Weaponsmarket Horsemarket Maintenance Office Roadblock House Pillar Pillar House Roadblock Tax Office Horsemarket Foodmarket Weaponsmarket Roadblock
Roadblock Bench Roadblock Pillar Pillar Roadblock Bench Roadblock

Legend

The road going up is attached to a stadium. The storehouses in the middle supply fleece and olive oil to both sides. The other two on the bottom row supply armor, and the storehouse in the top right is wine. The order of the vendors is important in both the single and double blocks, since the arms and horse vendors are positioned to exit on the exact tile for getting their supplies from the other side. With fully stocked supplies, this setup allows for the rearming of up to 72 hoplites or 52 hoplites and 20 horsemen in a very short amount of time.
Replies:
posted 04-25-09 14:26 ET (US)     1 / 5  
A tweak to ensure full coverage with taxes. The north is on the top left of the image.

The supply Block :

Roadblock Maintenance Office
Wheat Farm Wheat Farm
Drama School College
Elite Housing Granary Granary Elite Housing
Storehouse Storehouse Storehouse Storehouse
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Roadblock Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Maintenance Office
Roadblock Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Maintenance Office Roadblock Foodmarket Fleecemarket Oilmarket House House House House House House Oilmarket Fleecemarket Foodmarket Roadblock Maintenance Office
Roadblock Roadblock

Legend

The upside of the block :

Maintenance Office Roadblock Foodmarket Fleecemarket Oilmarket House House House House House House Oilmarket Fleecemarket Foodmarket Roadblock Maintenance Office
Roadblock Roadblock
Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza House House Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Plaza Horsemarket Weaponsmarket Winemarket House Plaza Plaza House Winemarket Weaponsmarket Horsemarket Plaza Plaza
Plaza Elite Housing Monument House Plaza Plaza House Monument Elite Housing Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Plaza House House Plaza Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza House Plaza Plaza House Plaza
Plaza Hedgemaze Plaza House House Plaza Hedgemaze Plaza
Plaza Elite Housing House Plaza Plaza House Elite Housing Plaza
Plaza Hedgemaze House Plaza Plaza House Hedgemaze Plaza
Plaza Plaza House House Plaza Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Hedgemaze Plaza House House Plaza Hedgemaze Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Pillar Pillar Pillar Plaza Plaza Pillar Pillar Pillar Plaza

Legend

The downside of the block :

Plaza Elite Housing Pillar Pillar Pillar House Plaza Plaza House Pillar Pillar Pillar Elite Housing Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Monument Plaza House House Plaza Monument Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Elite Housing Hedgemaze House Plaza Plaza House Hedgemaze Elite Housing Plaza
Plaza Monument House Plaza Plaza House Monument Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Pillar Pillar Pillar Plaza House House Plaza Pillar Pillar Pillar Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Pillar Podium House Plaza Plaza House Podium Pillar Plaza
Plaza Pillar Plaza House House Plaza Pillar Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Elite Housing Pillar Plaza Plaza Plaza Roadblock Pillar Pillar Plaza Plaza Pillar Roadblock House Gazebo House Roadblock Pillar Plaza Plaza Pillar Pillar Roadblock Plaza Plaza Plaza Pillar Elite Housing
Elite Housing Gymnasium Tax Office Roadblock Roadblock Tax Office Gymnasium Elite Housing
Roadblock Hedgemaze Hedgemaze Roadblock
Roadblock Roadblock
Theater Theater
Fountain
Roadblock
Infirmary
Maintenance Office

Legend

Based on your work , a way to have 70 common houses and one more elite house. All is well covered with taxes. I've just replaced gazebos with planetarium for the example and that need 6 monuments for the elite houses to evolve max (I prefer that so you can have max taxes everywhere by adding some more and can replace 2 elite houses each sides with fish pond waiting to have them).

For the science coverage. All the common houses have access to gymnasium and philosopher + the stadium bonus. Like you have well explained in another thread : colleges send out philosophers to the latest filled podium and so on. The one tile access is not made to make the philopher alternate but to control the exit point !! when on 2 sides they will alternate by the way. The reason for them to stop alternate is when a new philosopher arrive, it take place with the old one and aleatory choose its side the first time it get out. Then go the other way since it comes from that way. So to ensure the coverage, all philosophers have to arrive at the podium in a short amount of time -> so the philosopher can make the 2 sides before being replaced. That need to have all the colleges centered in your town to ensure that.

If you need to have access with theater (Ulysse !?). You can place gymnasiums at the place of the podiums (note that the upper common houses with the right block won't have access anymore with the gymnasium (for one tile ^^) but still get access with competitor. Then delete the elite house near the theater road with the gymnasium. Place the theater with the gymnasium exit and the gymnasium after. So you can have a full coverage of actors to summon Ulysse then revert back.

I don't really like the mixed blocks since the use is rare and that need to concentrate all production ... but that's a nice block you have made .

[This message has been edited by Sto (edited 04-25-2009 @ 02:39 PM).]

posted 04-26-09 05:05 ET (US)     2 / 5  
Sto, I love how much more symmetrical you've made the block, and they way you route the water carrier/infirmary walker while simultaneously solving the problem of culture walkers coming through the wrong side is brilliant!

I really like the tweaks you've made. A couple of comments:
(1) If you roadblock the road to the left of the fountain/infirmary all the way down and extend the road one tile to the left so the MO still walk through, then north can also be in the lower left.
(2) I would change the order of the agora vendors to have the horse, arms, and food vendor on the top row. Only the top row can use the back door. Fleece, olive oil, and wine are consumed so slowly that you don't need them so close to their supplies, but food should be close, and since the armor and horse vendor only get 4 at a time, and they are consumed so quickly when arming the block, they should be close as well.

[This message has been edited by oivey (edited 04-26-2009 @ 05:22 AM).]

posted 04-26-09 11:41 ET (US)     3 / 5  
For the order of vendors, I've not paid attention to that. I use to mix my storehouses with 4 goods and duplicate more the ones that are far from the point. For an example, if arms are far from the block and others near, I will put get 16 arms with all storehouses and split with the other goods.

For the horse vendor, I don't see the point because the horse ranch will be empty in 2 times. Even if you add some others temporally to make things faster. As long as the road to reach the ranch is faster than produce 1 horse ... that's good !? you will get one the first time then 2 each travel. Furthermore if the horses aren't produce at the same time, the horse vendor will try to get a horse at the "other block ranch" that will be empty when it arrives.

Anyway, you're right that's better to put the horse vendor with the backdoor since blocks won't have problems to manage fleece, olive oil and wine because of the little number of houses.

Edit : and obviously the arm vendor also ^^.

[This message has been edited by Sto (edited 04-26-2009 @ 11:45 AM).]

posted 04-28-09 08:41 ET (US)     4 / 5  
The first time I used the block I wound up wanting north in the lower left and had to change a few more things that I thought. Here are a few very minor modifications to Sto's version of the block. It has been made so that north can be on either the top left or lower left, the monuments have been cut from 6 to 4, and the supply road and vendor order has been rearranged. Sto is right, redoing the supply road to get things closer is really splitting hairs, since "close enough" is fine, but I like to do it anyway. (:

There are two ways to connect to a stadium, either through the road going between the college and drama school, or by extending the supply road in either direction.

There also needs to be a maintenance office somewhere on the supply road. A good spot for it is by the granary on the right. If you don't extend the supply road in that direction, you can put it right below the granary, if you do, you can put it next to the granary on the road.

I set the supply yards next to the horse ranches to GET armor, the other three to fleece, oil, and wine in any order.

Elite Housing Elite Housing
Granary
Granary Wheat Farm Storehouse Storehouse College Roadblock Drama School Storehouse Storehouse Storehouse Wheat Farm
Roadblock
Roadblock
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Roadblock Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Bench Bench Plaza Plaza Bench Plaza
Bench Bench Plaza Plaza Bench Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Bench Plaza Bench Bench
Maintenance Office Roadblock Horsemarket Weaponsmarket Foodmarket House House House House House House Foodmarket Weaponsmarket Horsemarket Roadblock Maintenance Office
Roadblock Roadblock
Plaza Plaza Fleecemarket Oilmarket Winemarket House Plaza Plaza House Winemarket Oilmarket Fleecemarket Plaza Plaza
Plaza Elite Housing Hedgemaze House Plaza Plaza House Hedgemaze Elite Housing Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Hedgemaze Plaza House House Plaza Hedgemaze Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Pillar Bench Pillar Plaza House House Plaza Pillar Bench Pillar Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Pillar Bench Pillar Plaza House House Plaza Pillar Bench Pillar Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Pillar Podium House Plaza Plaza House Podium Pillar Plaza
Plaza Pillar Plaza House House Plaza Pillar Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Elite Housing Pillar Plaza Plaza Plaza Roadblock Bench Bench Plaza Plaza Bench Roadblock House Garden House Roadblock Bench Plaza Plaza Bench Bench Roadblock Plaza Plaza Plaza Pillar Elite Housing
Elite Housing Roadblock Gymnasium Tax Office Roadblock Tax Office Gymnasium Elite Housing
Roadblock Garden Garden Garden Roadblock
Roadblock Roadblock Maintenance Office
Roadblock Fountain Roadblock Roadblock
Theater Roadblock Theater
Roadblock Infirmary
Roadblock
Roadblock
Roadblock

Legend

*edited to include Sto's roadblock from below

[This message has been edited by oivey (edited 05-06-2009 @ 00:22 AM).]

posted 04-28-09 13:18 ET (US)     5 / 5  
You should put a road block at the fountain, infirmary exit so the walkers don't have to do 27 tiles before following the path.

About the supply road, I would probably use an external maintenance road at one tile of the storehouses, etc. And if the stadium is put there. I would probably place a gymnasium at the place of the drama school (to prevent the little glitch with a stadium inactive when all gymnasium at the same distance) so you can add 2 more elite houses near the m.o.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Zeus: Game Help » Large, efficient mixed block
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames