Please login or register

Emperor: Game Help
Moderated by Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Annoying gate bug in Emperor
posted 09-10-03 12:28 ET (US)   
Often when I reload a saved game of a city entirely enclosed by walls with sole access through two or more gates I get the message that the road to China is blocked and building in the city are demolished. Now the road to China is not blocked in this instance. Access is through a gate yet for some reason gate access vanished periodically. I actually posted about this bug in the stickied thread for Emperor bugs when the game came out. No took any notice of it and hence this bug is still here. It means every walled city I reload I have to demolish and rebuild the gates to restore access. I have the latest patch.
Replies:
posted 09-10-03 14:08 ET (US)     1 / 8  
Sorry your having a problem but this is not a technical issue it's a game help issue Having said that I have not seen that issue from beta tests onward. This thread will be moved once you've answered it to game help.
posted 09-14-03 20:08 ET (US)     2 / 8  
Any city of mine that is fully enclosed by walls seems to have this problem. I could email one or two games where the problem is evident.
posted 09-15-03 06:21 ET (US)     3 / 8  
Sorry
Got it moved to the wrong gamehelp forum. Why? The colorsheme made me think Caesar3...
Thanks Jayhawk for correcting my mistake

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the body. Pr. 16:24

[This message has been edited by Proconsul Creaticus Dania (edited 09-15-2003 @ 08:27 AM).]

posted 09-15-03 08:51 ET (US)     4 / 8  
edit:
Gweilo's post IDed the most probable cause. You welcome to send the one savegame if you got the email addy and you want someone to look through the messages/layout and such.

[This message has been edited by shaun (edited 09-17-2003 @ 08:04 AM).]

posted 09-15-03 09:21 ET (US)     5 / 8  
I enjoy walled blocks and cities. I have not experienced this problem both pre- and post-patch.

Now, I will admit that I will take advantave of hills and rivers to act as walls whenever I can, but I have had several cities where I had nothing but walls.

Maybe the open spaces around those cities meant that the road was still technically "open".

Besieger,

Are you building your gates right to the very edge of the map? Maybe one of the gatehouse tiles indeed blocking an entry point. The entry point may not actually be the road tile at the edge of the map, but one next to it.

Because I want my immigrants to bee-line to my housing, I usually erase the first replace-able road tile at the entry point. I do this should I ever find it makes sense to replace it. Like for routing trade caravans in a particular direction.

This also means that if I build a gatehouse at the entry point, it is at least 2 tiles off of the edge.

Luck

[This message has been edited by MarcusMaximus (edited 09-15-2003 @ 09:23 AM).]

posted 09-15-03 19:57 ET (US)     6 / 8  
This bug is real. See the thread 'Emperor Patch - Bug Reports', but here is my contribution.

Destroyed City Gates

The problem of a destroyed city gate was not fixed by the patch. If you have a city gate destroyed by enemy forces, then later repaired, it will not function properly AFTER RELOADING A SAVED GAME. What happens is that when you reload the saved game, no walkers will be allowed to go through it. The pathing algorithm builds a route for them as if the gate were a solid wall (i.e., no one can go through it). The only way I have found to fix this situation is to use the shovel icon to tear down the gatehouse, then rebuild it in the same spot. The new gatehouse will begin to function normally. You will have to repeat this procedure every time you reload a saved game where a gatehouse has been destroyed and repaired. Irritating, but at least it is a workaround (although it costs $$$).

Addendum: for purposes of Besieger's query, this bug makes the game think the road to China is blocked.

posted 09-16-03 19:31 ET (US)     7 / 8  
The gatehouses are on the main city wall well away from the map edge. When it is reloaded several structures are demolished instantly including wall sections. It may be fully enclosing a city is rare or a path can be traced around the walls so that while a gate may cease to work the 'road to China' is not blocked. It is annoying for I have not only to demolish and rebuild a gate - I know that a fresh gate works until the next reload - but several service building and sections of wall need reinstating. Make a map with a complete city wall and have hills or rivers blocking any route outside the wall and the 'road to China message' is a constant annoyance. Even when there is a path outside the walls a blocked gate can mean that half of the fields are not providing their harvest or a fort without weapons without the benefit of a message.
posted 09-17-03 07:43 ET (US)     8 / 8  
I guess I defend my cities better than I thought.

I've only lost one gate and it wasn't that important because it was protecting a remote area...either worker camps or a mint. I don't remember, but the invasion point was rather close to it.

I rebuilt it, but it wasn't needed to allow workers to pass through. So I didn't notice anything unusual.

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Emperor: Game Help » Annoying gate bug in Emperor
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames