Please login or register

Emperor: Game Help
Moderated by Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Farm Yield data?
posted 11-11-11 05:13 ET (US)   
Hello people. I've been using the emperor.heavengames main site and even browsing the forums now and then to look for useful tips on gameplay. Thanks to all of you who posted ... stuff. It's all been helpful, even if only to reinforce what I already thought.

on the site, there is a page that shows the production yield of the various industry buildings (providing optimal conditions) but I haven't been able to find anything explaining agricultural yield.

An outside walkthrough ( http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/553878-emperor-rise-of-the-middle-kingdom/faqs/54453 ) presented a simple equation to explain yield, but this seems off to me.

The equation (if you don't want to click the link and find it) is
Yield = (# of farm tiles)*(fertility rating)*(effeciency)
Where efficiency is based on crop and is presented as
Rice, soybeans, cabbage, wheat, millet: 66% (.66)
Hemp: 40% (.4)
Lacquer Trees: 77% (.77)
Mulberry Bushes: 95% (.95)
Tea Bushes: 90% (.90)
The author claims that steel-age technology and irrigation would raise the effective fertility rating to about 100%, therefore three squares of -any- food crop, if irrigated and plowed with steel, will yield 2 units of that crop.

Here's where I have problem with that. It almost always seems to me that rice yields more than wheat, wheat yields more than soy and so on. I play on normal difficulty so finding optimum farm land isn't hard (except in arid climates - I hate arid climates on principle though).

So does anyone have any data to contribute to help me better understand how farms work? (A chart on this page http://emperor.heavengames.com/gameinfo/tables/s1 seems a bit helpful, but not much).

So if I fill a farmhouse's range with fields or wheat (and of course the road) giving me 69 fields (irrigated in steel age), will I produce 46 wheat? 23 wheat? 12 wheat? 100 wheat? Likewise, in the same temperate climate if I plant similar fields of soy, millet, and cabbage, what will they produce?

I'm currently playing Sui-Tang 2: An agricultural community, and rather than just copying VitruviusAIA's overkill method, I was hoping to produce more calculated results.

Thanks, and sorry for the wall of text.
Replies:
posted 11-11-11 17:45 ET (US)     1 / 3  
Did you read the discussion at this thread:

http://caesar3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/caeforumscgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=19,4608,,all

Also: go to the bottom of this forum and change the search criteria to 'All' and then do searches for the keywords 'farm' and 'production'. Each of those searches will give you many forum threads to read. Hope this helps some.

Expand your fun by downloading free custom campaigns for Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.
Visit Zeus Heaven to expand your knowledge of Zeus and Poseidon.
posted 11-12-11 06:39 ET (US)     2 / 3  
Much thanks Gweilo. I was wondering why this forum looked so small.

I was able to do plenty of reading on the topic, below is what I can summarize, please tell me if I missed something.

number of fields x percentage of completion x fertility percentage x crop-based climate mod x the yet undefined irrigation mod x a 1.15 tech mod for iron = total yield.

I also saw that some people tend to include the irrigation mod in the fertility percentage.

For my purposes the crops I'm working with all have the same climate mod and I have no shortage of ideal cropland. So if I plant 69 tiles of any crop, I should expect between 21.9~ 43.8~ (average 32?) units without irrigation.

I just ran a simple test. a 69 lot of millet is expected to feed 1265 people. If each person eats .25 units a month, then by dividing 1265 by 48 we get closer to 26. Once irrigated, the game expected to feed 2047 people. That would be 42.6~. So I seem to be missing something (or bad at math).

I'm very curious about the details now but I think I know enough to handle this mission comfortably.
posted 11-12-11 08:57 ET (US)     3 / 3  
That sounds right to me, best of luck!

Expand your fun by downloading free custom campaigns for Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.
Visit Zeus Heaven to expand your knowledge of Zeus and Poseidon.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Emperor: Game Help » Farm Yield data?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames