Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Neptune's wrath
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 03-24-00 18:53 ET (US)   
I dont know about you guys, but it seems to me that neptune's wrath is terrible. It just destroys the ships, that doesn't compare to mars destroying granaries or mercury destroying warehouses

------------------
I dont know what WW3 will be fought with, but the next war will be faught with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein

Replies:
posted 03-24-00 21:38 ET (US)     1 / 66  
I think it's the lightest, IF you don't rely on fishing as your main source of food... 'cuz then your people starve
Ceres' is bad only if you rely on farms for food or income, but if you rely on fish only, then Ceres can get as angry as she wants...

Procurator
Latus

posted 03-25-00 14:57 ET (US)     2 / 66  
I agree with you EPS_Co creator that Neptunes Wrath is terrible. It kills your money supply for a year and can plunge you into debt (even bigger problems) and diminue your prosperity. I do think though that all the punishments of the gods are fairly even depending on what map you are playing.

P.S. Mars does not destroy your granaries.

posted 03-25-00 15:04 ET (US)     3 / 66  
oh, I heard that from someone. I've never had that happen myself.

------------------
I dont know what WW3 will be fought with, but the next war will be faught with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein

posted 03-25-00 17:06 ET (US)     4 / 66  
hi,

here is a short list of the curses and blessings I encountered. No doubt they have been listed before, but searches on 'curse', 'blessing', and their names did not reveal much.

Ceres:
a) destroys crops
b) sends locusts (difference with previous: lands remain barren for several months)
c) boosts fertility of crops

Mars:
a) Curses a fort
b) Sends a spirit to watch over city. Spirit kills about half a legion of attackers or was it 40%?

Mercury:
a) Spirits away some goods from your granaries / warehouses
b) rains fire and hail destroying granaries / warehouses
c) Fills granaries

Neptune:
a) sends a storm sinking all ships
b) doubles all pay (both land and sea trade, even natives) and garnts smooth passage

Venus:
a) makes people feel sad
b) spreads disease
c) make speople feel happy (and a baby boom)

Most of them seem to have two curses and one blessing.
I find some curses are worse than others. Many depend on the scenario. For instance, I found I could safely ingnore Mars on the first peaceful career scenarios - not on all.

If Ceres takes away your crops, your crops tend to come in in bunches years after. I prefer the to come in gradually.
The locusts are even worse. The land must first heal of this disaster, often taking months. And as we all know, you cannot live from food imports.

Somehow I no longer throw an early party at mars, most scenarios grant you some time before the first crosses appear on the empire map.

Neptune now is the main source of my parties. I can always use an extra 10K or so of money. You can probably safely ignore him if you do not need extra money, have no sea trade routes and no fishing.

I can not ignore Venus, as continued neglectance causes her to spread diseases in the town against which doctors are of no avail.

No doubt some of you can point out that Mars & Neptune also have two curses, just like the others.

------------------
[Omnium harum gentium virtute praecipui Batavi non multum ex ripa]

posted 03-26-00 08:28 ET (US)     5 / 66  
Why not go for Mars in military scenarios?

I do so immediately. Put in a temple, give a large festival (for all of 50Db or less ) Blessing is almost guaranteed and you can ignore most of the earliest invasion.

Real value for money.

Neptune is next, but as it takes about a year or two to get my export going, that's okay.

A
ngel
J
ayhawk
Eyrie, Pharaoh Heaven, Caesar 3 Heaven

------------------
Homage to thee, Osiris, Lord of Eternity, King of the Gods, whose names are manifold, whose forms are holy, thou being of hidden form in the temples, whose Ka is holy."
-- Book of the Dead (1240 BC)

posted 03-26-00 16:45 ET (US)     6 / 66  
Mars:
a) Curses a fort
b) Sends a spirit to watch over city. Spirit kills about half a legion of attackers or was it 40%?>>

I believe Mars also has another curse where he "inspires" rebellion in your provinces.

The Imperator

[This message has been edited by The Imperator (edited 03-26-2000).]

posted 03-26-00 17:23 ET (US)     7 / 66  
I'm not sure but I think Mars's Protective spirit usually wipes out a small invasion (less then 10 invaders) completely and half of a large invasion. By the way how come sometimes some gods are exalted but they don't give you anything. As well, its easy to make them exalted at the begin but once you hit 3-4000 people its almost imposible. WHY?
posted 03-26-00 18:29 ET (US)     8 / 66  
Yeah, Mars does incite rebellion among the natives... the msg is somewhere along the lines of :
"Angered by your lack of attention to him, Mars incites local indigenous people to rebel against you"... I don't remember exactly, but it was something like this. I only got it once, and that was because I was completely new to the game and didn't know about Gods and the way temples worked... or even what employment meant

I've also noticed that it's hard to get more than 2 blessings during a game... while the curses can come a'plenty unfair...

Procurator
Latus

posted 03-26-00 22:28 ET (US)     9 / 66  
Hello. Sorry i haven't been here the past couple of days to answer any questions.

In my experience, the spirit of mars takes out 9 invaders. This means 9 people, not 9 elephants or any similar type enemy.

1 Small temple - for 750 people (1 to each god for a total of 5 temples)
1 Large temple - for 1500 people (1 to each god again)
1 oracle - 500 people (but for all 5 gods)

so a population of 1500 people you need 2 small temples for each god (total of 10) or 1 large temple to each god or 3 oracles.

If you have 3 oracles, then you homes will not evolve past small shacks. But if you have five housing blocks with one small temple each, then you can build all oracles to keep the gods happy. Saves on workers.

Before, I had all the gods exalted at all times. Have more temples than nessesary and by throwing festivals constantly does that. This is bad. To get another blessing from the gods, you have to get one (the one you want blessing from) angry (or irritated). Then get that god to exalted again. Stupid i know, they fixed this in pharaoh. To do this, wait for the god to give you a blessing, then delete all of his (or her) temples, while leaving all other temples to other gods alone. This will make that god angry real fast. Then build those deleted temples back, best to have 1 extra temple compared to the other gods (so if other gods have 5 small temples, build 6 small temples to that one god). This will get that one god exalted real fast. Throw a couple of large festivals and wait for another blessing.

That works great, but takes time. I recommend you only do this with neptune, mars, and/or venus. hope i helped.

Fishman
Down with the Governor! Follow me to Pharaoh!
Pharaoh Heaven

posted 03-26-00 23:38 ET (US)     10 / 66  
Ave all,
Good to see you Fishman, you were missed. And Imperator I believe that the "Mars inspires an uprising of local natives who are tired of your tyranny...blah, blah, blah" message comes up when a scheduled native invasion happens. I could be completly wrong (wouldn't be the first time ), but I think this is the case. Mars' name is just used in reference regardless of the city's mood, and when mood goes sour you get a different message.

Cheers,

C
herub
M
arcusLindicus
-----I always wanted to be someone....I guess I should have been more specific.-----
posted 03-27-00 01:16 ET (US)     11 / 66  
thx folks!
Mars can indeed stir a local revolt. I will try to simulate this somewhere this week and let you know.
So Mars listing looks like:
Mars:
a) Stirs a local revolt
b) Curses a fort
c) Sends a spirit to watch over city. Spirit kills about half a legion of attackers or was it 40%?

Now this makes me strongly suspect that neptune also has two curses. After all, if all the others have two, why should neptune have only one?
Any ideas anyone?

------------------

posted 03-27-00 03:19 ET (US)     12 / 66  
Marcus Lindicus,
Try to irritate Mars in a peaceful map where no barracks are available (-> no scheduled invasion), and you'll see the native revolt due to Mars wrath.
I know that Neptune send two sizes of storms, but I do not know the difference in their consequences.

[This message has been edited by Claudia Gallica (edited 03-27-2000).]

posted 03-27-00 07:38 ET (US)     13 / 66  
Maybe for the second wrath the storms keep up for a longer period, like Ceres' locust plague?
A
ngel
J
ayhawk

------------------
Homage to thee, Osiris, Lord of Eternity, King of the Gods, whose names are manifold, whose forms are holy, thou being of hidden form in the temples, whose Ka is holy."
-- Book of the Dead (1240 BC)

posted 03-27-00 11:52 ET (US)     14 / 66  
Alright, I tested Neptune's anger to the max

1- sinks your ships
2- sinks your ships + "No sailor will dare to sail these waters for months".

So yeah, it is like a locust plague... but concerning trade--> so, no trade for a few months if you anger Neptune too much.

Procurator
Latus

posted 03-27-00 12:25 ET (US)     15 / 66  
Marcus Lindicus,

welcome back!

Latus, Caludia, Imperator, Fishman, jayhawk,
all excellent info!
I tend to agree with about everyone on most points
Mars wrath is terrible in war like scenarios. It is the only one whom I regularly ignore in peaceful settings. But I think he is the lightest.
Neptune can be ignored in land only secnario's. His wrath is terrible for both fishing and sea trade. No food / no income / debt
Venus sickness & gloomy mood can be overcome, but can also have nasty consequences: emigration, loss of labor, turning of industry, loss of money, and so on.
I can not remember I could ever afford to ignore Ceres. Even when I live from fish, I usually have farms for grapes / olives - for export
Mercuries destruction of my warehouses is very costly in termes of money and city stability.

Fishman, an excellent suggestion to regain a blessing!
Long ago someone said that the deletion of one temple and rebuilding it was sufficient to regain the gods attention. Did you ever try that?

------------------

posted 03-28-00 03:49 ET (US)     16 / 66  
Hello Citizen Paul.

Hmmmmm, logically that should not work as well. I would think a god would get to the angry status real fast if they have no temples! lol. Ill try your strategy though.

posted 03-28-00 17:34 ET (US)     17 / 66  
I have already experienced when Mars makes natives revolt, which isn't too bad since they can be easily defeated, but I have never seen him do anything to my forts. What does he actually do to your forts? As well does Mercury have two punishments? The only one I have suffered is goods spirited away from my granaries.

In conclusion, I find that Venus's wrath is the easiest to overcome while the wrath of Neptune or Mercury when low on food are the worst.

posted 03-28-00 19:29 ET (US)     18 / 66  
Ave, Omnes!!

Well, for those who really are wondering.... the blessings and curses are as follows.

Ceres:
Exalted---100% fertility of crops
Angry-----Destroys Crops
Wrathful--Plague of locusts prevents new crops for 3 months

Neptune:
Exalted---Traders pay double for 1 year
Angry-----Sinks fishing ships and trade ships overseas, but doesn't prevent trade
Wrathful--Sinks a local trade ship and prevents trade w/ them for 3 months

Mercury:
Exalted---Fills up 1 granary with 600 of each food
Angry-----Destroys contents of 1 granary
Wrathful--Burns down a granary (he likes to wait til it's full)

Mars:
Exalted---Sends a spirit that kills about 9 people
Angry-----Inspires a local uprising
Wrathful--Curses strongest fort, causing all members to run away and prevents anyone from returning for 3 months

Venus:
Exalted---Raises city mood by 10
Angry-----Lowers city mood and health
Wrathful--Larger drop in mood and triggers disease

Hope this helps!!

Vale!
-----------------------

C
aesar

D

racus Marsius
posted 03-28-00 19:42 ET (US)     19 / 66  
Ave Dracus Marsius,

Mercury also likes to pick on warehouses, at least he did for me in Valentia.

I've also been granted up to two full graineries (from zero in both) in a blessing. This usually comes in 600 of eack food type. I think I only received 600 in each grainery when I had about 6 graineries.

Luck

------------------
A Glorious Death Is Always Preferred To A Mediocre Life!

posted 03-28-00 21:05 ET (US)     20 / 66  
Ave, Marcus Maximus!!

It seems that Mercury does what he feels is needed. I usually only get one granary full... but like you said, it can possibly be more. I have never seen him do it to warehouses though.

Vale!
-------------------

C
aesar

D

racus Marsius
posted 03-29-00 06:22 ET (US)     21 / 66  
Ave Dracus Marsius,

I've never had Mercury fill a warehouse, but I have had a warehouse razed, and it was away from the grainery that also got razed at the same time.

To paraphrase the Arnold in Conan, if the gods aren't going to help, then they should keep out of the way!

------------------
A Glorious Death Is Always Preferred To A Mediocre Life!

posted 03-29-00 20:04 ET (US)     22 / 66  
Do gods lower city mood? I think I heard that somewhere. And patricians neeed the gods to be happy-is that true? As well could you really do that: build lets say 3 temples for each god then kill two for a specific god, wait till he is irrated then give him 3 more temples to make him exalted and get his blessing? Could you do this repeatedly for different gods or does that not work. Ex: 3 temples for each, then only one for lets say mercury then 4 temples for mercury;get blessing then only 2 temples for venus, then 4 temples for venus etc...Does that work or does it only work when One specific god has an extra temple? Hope I have made myself clear!
posted 03-29-00 20:18 ET (US)     23 / 66  
If venus is mad, she will lower the cities mood.
posted 03-29-00 20:22 ET (US)     24 / 66  
Ave paultheo,
Yes indeed it does work. You may need to build two extra temples to a given god, over the number of the others and throw a festival too in order to get that blessing. In all reality only some blessings at specific times are worth this cost. Neptune's is obviously worth it at anytime, as is Mars' if you have no defenses, as is Ceres' if you need food fast, as is Venus' if you have soured city mood. I may be mistaken, but I doubt Mercury is ever worth the extra expense. I personally try to get Neptune's blessing at the beginning of every other year.

Cheers,

C
herub
M
arcusLindicus
-----I always wanted to be someone....I guess I should have been more specific.-----

posted 03-30-00 18:41 ET (US)     25 / 66  
Should that festival be large, medium or small. If the festival must be large then that wastes a lot of wine doesn't it!? On the other hand if it is small, then I think it is well worth it.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: