You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Everything you ever wanted to know about Prosperity - and then some!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04-29-00 08:23 ET (US)   
Stand by for a mini-essay on this subject. It's likely to be large, so I'll start it in the first post!

Alan

Replies:
posted 04-29-00 08:55 ET (US)     1 / 44  
No, you won't.

------------------
The Forum's Official Grumpus!

posted 04-29-00 09:14 ET (US)     2 / 44  
Of all the ratings in the game, Prosperity is most often the scourge of Governors. It is almost invariably the first significant hurdle that faces most new governors, and can drive even the most experienced of us to the brink of insanity If you've reached the point where your hair is now kept in a paper bag, then I'm probably a bit late... but you might like to read on anyway.

The manual lists a large number of factors that contribute to prosperity rating. What it fails to mention is that the rating is capped. However many of the criteria you fulfil, once you reach the 'prosperity cap, it will rise no further.

The prosperity cap is determined by an average of the housing levels in the city. Each housing level has a characteristic prosperity rating, which are summarised in the following table:

Housing LevelProsperity CapHousing LevelProsperity Cap
Small Tent5Large Insulae65
Large Tent10Grand Insulae80
Small Shack15Small Villa150
Large Shack20Medium Villa180
Small Hovel25Large Villa400
Large Hovel30Grand Villa600
Small Casa35Small Palace700
Large Casa45Medium Palace900
Small Insulae50Large Palace1500
Medium Insulae58Luxury Palace1750

The easiest way to show how the prosperity cap is calculated is with an example. For a city with 5 large tents, 200 small casa, and 4 luxury palaces we obtain:

Prosperity Cap = ((# of large tents * 10)+(# of small casa * 35) + (# of luxury palaces * 1750))/ total number of houses.

Here we have ((5*10)+(200*35)+(4*1750))/209 = 67

So the highest possible Prosperity rating in such a hypothetical city would be 67.

The second problem with prosperity rating is that it is only calculated once a year, and it rises very slowly. If you have improved your prosperity cap by 40 points in a year (which is not inconceivable) you will not receive a 40 point boost to your prosperity in December. If your prosperity cap is higher than your current prosperity rating, prosperity will rise 2 points, with additional bonuses or penalties as follows:

+2 Your city makes a profit*
+1 10% or more of your population lives in villas
+1 Less than 30% of your population lives in tents or shacks
+1 Active Hippodrome
+1 Less than 5% unemployment
+1 People below Grand Insulae have more than one type of food#
+1 You pay at least 2Dn more than Rome's wage
-1 City loses money*
-1 Unemployment rate is above 15%
-1 Your wages are below Rome's
-3 You go broke and Caesar bails you out
-3 Failure to pay tribute

* Your city is deemed to make a profit provided you lose less money than you spend on construction.
# Of all the factors contributing to prosperity rise, this 'food types' factor seems the most nebulous, and there is still a degree of uncertainty as to how exactly it works. One day, perhaps, I'll get round to studying it.

As you can see, improving your housing alone is not sufficient to ensure a rise in prosperity. All told, an 8-point prosperity rise in one year is extremely good, and if you manage the full ten, then you are a probably a C3 deity

The importance of having sufficient money in the treasury at year end to pay tribute cannot be overemphasised. Not only does it hammer your prosperity rating, but it will also do untold damage to your Favour rating.

All the game data used here has been shamelessly cribbed from Grumpus' excellent 'Which Way to Rome' site.

Caesar Alan
ET-Lympics Champion
Forum Wordmaster
Forum Pizza Chef

[This message has been edited by Caesar Alan (edited 05-02-2000).]

posted 04-29-00 09:15 ET (US)     3 / 44  
Very good, GTT

Caesar Alan
ET-Lympics Champion
Forum Wordmaster
Forum Pizza Chef
posted 04-29-00 09:19 ET (US)     4 / 44  
Nice write up Caesar Allen.

Benson

posted 04-29-00 13:30 ET (US)     5 / 44  
Its okay CA (caesar alan is okay if I call your ca?), I have very often copied facts straight from the grumpus site to give advice!

posted 04-29-00 14:38 ET (US)     6 / 44  
Nice CA. Keep these coming! BTW paultheo, CA is on staff at TGR too.
C
herub
M
arcusLindicus
-----I always wanted to be someone....I guess I should have been more specific.-----
posted 04-29-00 15:56 ET (US)     7 / 44  
Great! BTW, I sent you the taracco walkthrough!
posted 04-29-00 16:03 ET (US)     8 / 44  
caesar alan,

an excellent essay!
if you are in for writing essays, why not something on the culture rating.
I am sure there are some fine details to discuss there. Is there any mathematical translation known on how the number of temples fit into the culture score? Or how the 'average', 'above average', 'good' and 'perfect' coverage of theaters translate into the culture score?

------------------
[Omnium harum gentium virtute praecipui Batavi non multum ex ripa]

posted 04-29-00 16:09 ET (US)     9 / 44  
It is the number of foods held in graneries which count, not the number of foods eaten.
posted 04-30-00 07:49 ET (US)     10 / 44  
Good thing to know theo!
posted 04-30-00 08:04 ET (US)     11 / 44  
excellent info and presentation, Caesar Alan

We are all sharing information, and Caesar Alan rightfully gives Grumpus the Elder credit for the game data he used. As Grumpus gave credit to a long ago C3 forumer SIM who originally compiled the data

Angel Gustavia

posted 04-30-00 12:17 ET (US)     12 / 44  
Good work CA!
posted 04-30-00 13:27 ET (US)     13 / 44  
Is sim still visiting the forums today?
posted 05-01-00 08:58 ET (US)     14 / 44  
I've not seen SIM.
posted 05-01-00 14:28 ET (US)     15 / 44  
Caesar Alan,

One minor quibble: the (correct) formula you used for the prosperity cap is a simple average, not a weighted average. This is important because many replies on this (and other) forums have given an incorrect formula that uses an average weighted by the number of residents.

Regarding the +1 for multiple food types: I've seen the suggestion that this occurs with houses that NEED multiple foods (in other words, at least one palace, villa, or grand insulae exists). I don't have enough observations on this for an opinion, as I have rarely been concerned with the rate of change of Prosperity (as long as it's positive!).

posted 05-02-00 01:54 ET (US)     16 / 44  
Hey everybody...lets not let this thread go in the archived messages forum!
I'll try to remember to bump it up occasionnaly.

------------------
Visit my homepage! http://www.geocities.com/caecuspraetor/Site1.html

posted 05-02-00 07:07 ET (US)     17 / 44  
Brugle, if I understand correctly, you are saying that 1 tent and 1 palace would have a prosperity of about 700, even though there are only 5 people in a tent versus 200 in a palace. That stinks
posted 05-02-00 08:35 ET (US)     18 / 44  
Brugle A perfectly valid quibble - as always. Edit time.

paultheo Indeed they would. AND it is not necessary to have the houses fully occupied. The prosperity cap of a luxury palace with 1 inhabitant, and a tent with five inhabitants is still 877.5

Caesar Alan
ET-Lympics Champion
Forum Wordmaster
Forum Pizza Chef
posted 05-02-00 08:54 ET (US)     19 / 44  
Nice work, Alan
Just goes to sho0w a refresher can be as useful as the original. I know a certain lady that's going to love this...

BTW. Anybody bother to calculate what the lowest population is you can get a 100 prosperity with?

A
ngel
J
ayhawk

------------------
Homage to thee, Osiris, Lord of Eternity, King of the Gods, whose names are manifold, whose forms are holy, thou being of hidden form in the temples, whose Ka is holy."
-- Book of the Dead (1240 BC)

posted 05-02-00 11:56 ET (US)     20 / 44  
Jayhawk, do you mean theoritically or in practice. In theory it would probably be somewhere around 400 people so the services for the palaces would work.

posted 05-02-00 16:19 ET (US)     21 / 44  
Citizen Paul,
There are some quite old threads on details of Culture, that you might be able to find. For 100 Culture, you need perfect ratings for theaters and education buildings plus enough religious buildings to the keep the gods happy without festivals: any combination of 1 oracle for 500 people, 5 small temples to each god for 750 people, and 5 large temples to each god for 1500 people. Lesser numbers of any of these buildings give some contribution to Culture, but I'm not sure of the details. I think religion counts a lot (maybe 30%) and academies a little (maybe 10%).

paultheo,
Even using a simple average, 100 Prosperity is possible in a city with just large tents and luxury palaces in an 18:1 ratio. If the prosperity cap was a population-weighted average, it would be ridiculous: 100 Prosperity with 1 luxury palace and 3666 people living in large tents.

Jayhawk,
That's not a well-defined problem. Using the kind of micromanagement techniques Nerdicus has been discussing at Pharaoh Heaven, the number could be quite small. Assuming that you want a stable village, the fewest people would be needed with all foods and goods imported, and 1 building for most of the services (except hippodrome, academy, hospital, and maybe amphitheater or theater). I'd guess that paultheo is close, although no palaces are needed, since 1 (or maybe 2) small villas would be enough patricians with plebians in grand insulaes.

posted 05-02-00 16:38 ET (US)     22 / 44  
I participated in Dragon's speed contest for Lugdunum, so I got a special education in prosperity increase. My conclusion is the same as to what Brugle arrived at, I did not get the extra point for two food types until I developed a housing type that needed two food types.
posted 05-03-00 06:32 ET (US)     23 / 44  
A stable village is what I was looking for...something you could run for a couple of years without touching it.

I was assuming had to make everything yourself, the more you can import the less people you'll need...but so it was more anidea of the smallest population that could selfsustain a 100 prosperity.

A
ngel
J
ayhawk

------------------
Homage to thee, Osiris, Lord of Eternity, King of the Gods, whose names are manifold, whose forms are holy, thou being of hidden form in the temples, whose Ka is holy."
-- Book of the Dead (1240 BC)

posted 05-07-00 05:48 ET (US)     24 / 44  
up
posted 05-08-00 17:36 ET (US)     25 / 44  
Just a thought, not that it really matters, but does a set of 4 1x1 medium insulaes count as 4 and does a 2x2 medium insulae count as 1? I tried to calculate my prosperity cap but I got stuck from this.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Everything you ever wanted to know about Prosperity - and then some!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames