Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Taracco in the year 2000
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 05-04-00 01:57 ET (US)   
Ave all,

Marcus Lindicus in a heavenly musing wondered what would happen if you ran a city all the way to the year 2000. Fool that I am I took a piece of the action and starting in 500 BCE in the city construction kit Tarraco (spelt wrongly above on purpose) I determined to start a 'minimalist' city which could be self sustaining over long periods of time. Pending hard drive melt-down I will continue until Y2K to see if the Romans can hack the post modernist life. The first part of this was lost in the great thread crash of 2000. Hence :-

Seems my previous research has had wine spilt on it

Brutus F.

[This message has been edited by Brutus Forci (edited 05-15-2000).]

Replies:
posted 05-04-00 02:07 ET (US)     1 / 121  
Ave experimenters,

A picture says a thousand words

Never ending Tarraco in 480 BCE

Zing

Population census at 480 BCE: Note the large gap from 0 to 20 years old.

Zing

Population census at 450 BCE: This is after a workforce reduction to 31 out of 612 in 461 BCE caused devolutions and subsequent immigration. Deaths are now being replaced by births and the 0-100 'pipeline' is filled.

Zing

History over last bit.

Zing

Mini map of the current town 450 BCE

Zing

More in 50 years - Brutus F.

posted 05-04-00 04:26 ET (US)     2 / 121  
Great work so far! Watch out for the Huns.

Vale!

Caligula

posted 05-04-00 06:59 ET (US)     3 / 121  
Excellent work!!!

Glad someone had the courage to take on such a daunting task!

posted 05-04-00 09:16 ET (US)     4 / 121  
Thanks for starting this up again Brutus! Those census graphs are as strange as any sheep on a log I have ever heard of! To think of people reaching over 100 years of age 2500 years ago is astounding! My favorite though is the graph with no one between the ages of 0 and 20! And man is that lil' town boring! Poor buggers haven't anything to do except get old. I think I spent a month there one night.

Cheers to your fine efforts,

MLCherub

posted 05-04-00 11:27 ET (US)     5 / 121  
Keep up the great work!!

------------------
Visit my homepage! http://www.geocities.com/caecuspraetor/Site1.html

posted 05-05-00 00:35 ET (US)     6 / 121  
400 BCE Update,

With remarkable syncronisity it was around 450 BCE that a new thing started to occur. Despite the housing remaining full when info-clicked net population (reported) commenced a gradual decent. By 400 BCE the reported population is down to 535 (with 612 reported by clicking on houses).

Theory - When a person goes over 100 years old they still exist and are still housed the game simply ignores them for reporting purposes. Note:- people must still be dying I think that maybe after you hit 100 you are safe from disease!

So (assumming above to be correct)I now have 77 individuals over 100 with the oldest possibly 155! - population census at 400 BCE below.

Zing

Population history - note slight decrease

Zing

With both of the above remove thumb.jpg to see the bigger picture.

The means of fixing all of this are quite straight forward but this is an experiment and I'm letting it run to see where it goes. Brutus F.

posted 05-05-00 00:43 ET (US)     7 / 121  
Wow this gets stranger by the minute!
posted 05-05-00 01:20 ET (US)     8 / 121  
Wouldn't it be easier to start your city from 500AD?
posted 05-05-00 01:37 ET (US)     9 / 121  
Lazarus - easier to get to 2000 yes but to test the whole concept of an extended population I started as early as the City Construction Kit would allow. Now the invasion situation has stopped I only get a no working dock message every two years which suits me fine. Brutus F.
posted 05-05-00 01:40 ET (US)     10 / 121  
Brutus Forci,
Thanks for the fascinating results. And I thought that the city would reach a steady-state! You'd think I'd know by now that there's always something more to be learned about C3.

posted 05-05-00 01:44 ET (US)     11 / 121  
There sure is! I want to do this experiment too. I wonder what would happen to a really big city.?
posted 05-05-00 07:10 ET (US)     12 / 121  
Keep up the great work Brutus!
posted 05-05-00 09:17 ET (US)     13 / 121  
Keep up the good work!
Let's go all the way to 2000AD!!!

My signature...absolutely not a big deal!

posted 05-05-00 09:48 ET (US)     14 / 121  
Dateline 450 BCE,

Those cenaterians are starting to bite.
Total reported population 492 total actual population 612 thats 120 people presummed to be over 100 with the oldest around 202 years old possibly! Teach me to give 'em perfect health.

Here's how the employment front looks at 350 BCE

Zing

Here's the population census

Zing

Note it fails to display the 120 odd souls to the right of the magic 100. Getting old and lazy is my job! mutter mutter galley's too good for 'em..
Brutus F.

posted 05-05-00 10:04 ET (US)     15 / 121  
Are you going to add housing to get workers anytime or are you just gonna let this one keep right going as is? It is fascinating. The game is coming up against logic it doesn't like!
C
herub
M
arcusLindicus
posted 05-05-00 10:28 ET (US)     16 / 121  
Marcus, If I can keep it going without adding housing I will (scientific method and all). Although it would be nice to have that wine export industry back . - Brutus F.
posted 05-05-00 10:41 ET (US)     17 / 121  
Should we have some "Old citizen's hostel"???

posted 05-05-00 10:45 ET (US)     18 / 121  
Brutus you could make the one you have the "control" and then try adding and see what happens. When I thought about this initially it never occurred to me to run it like you are. Now that you have I am very interested in your experiment's inherent results. But I would still like to know how things go if your town is dynamic.

Cheers,

M
arcusLindicus
C
herub
-----I always wanted to be someone....I guess I should have been more specific.-----

[This message has been edited by Marcus Lindicus (edited 05-05-2000).]

posted 05-05-00 19:01 ET (US)     19 / 121  
Marcus LOL this really has gotten out of control . Unfortunately I'd need more computers, more time, and a second (replacement) Venus. Seriously, I am trying to identify all the effects that would otherwise be masked by a 'dynamic' cities other inputs. Knowing what's going on 'off the ball' sometimes makes all the difference.

Cyber P. The whole place is an old citizen's hostel in sunny Spain - Free Zimmer frame parking, prunes for breakfast AND a doctor on call. - Brutus F.

posted 05-05-00 22:45 ET (US)     20 / 121  
I dare say Venus is more likely to replace you!
posted 05-05-00 23:22 ET (US)     21 / 121  
Hey all,

That's a great service you're doing there Brutus. I can't wait to see what happens when the dateline hits 0 BC (or AD whichever I don't know). Keep up the fantastic work.

Jamus'There should be a law against child labour'

posted 05-05-00 23:47 ET (US)     22 / 121  
Jamus, once upon a time I did it to about 5AD, that was Miletus, because of lack of knowledge in fishing...

posted 05-06-00 02:27 ET (US)     23 / 121  
Get your luxury retirement villa in sunny Spain(Actual accommodation may vary from villa)

* Security plus - 96 academy trained beefcakes to keep those roudy Gauls in check.
* Perfect health with doorway medical service.
* Oldest resident 252 years young - she can still tell rivetting tales of the 'good old' days when there used to be a wine industry.
* See the latest plays in our purpose built theatre.
* Regular festivals to the gods - you may live to see one.
* Attentive care from our youthful workforce of 80 odd.

Zing

Come and join us in the hip (replacement) happenning Costa Del Sol!!!!!!!!

Seriously - same old same old.

Zing

Making 10 000 dn. every 25 years or so from taxes alone (Where is the money coming from? Must all be retiree pirates).

Total in houses still 612 reported as 430 thats 182 folks over 100!

Granary holdings are reported using reported population - I now have stocks for 11 months - started around 5 months.

Wages have been as low as 11 dn!!! Which leads me to the question; When you make up a city using the city builders thingy can you specify random wage fluctuations? My last programmed event was an invasion some 160 yrs ago but I still get regularish wage messages.

Back to the palace(I got bored, so sue me)/lab - Brutus F.

posted 05-06-00 04:26 ET (US)     24 / 121  
Hey all,

Hmm, Cyber Paladin, I am trying to make sense of your last post. (Sorry my brains are scrambled after my third labotomy). Does it mean that you played it for so long as to benefit your fishing knowledge? Or am I totally off the track? (Sounds a bit like my life, actually) Please enlighten me further of your exploits in Miletus as I am intrigued.

Jamus'There should be a law against child labour'

posted 05-06-00 07:13 ET (US)     25 / 121  
Oh... sorry for my poor English Jamus, I meant I spent a very long time in Miletus because I don't know how to use the fishing stuff~

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Taracco in the year 2000
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames