Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Palace Blocks Galore
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 05-21-00 11:25 ET (US)   
I recently did some layout tests for p-blocks with the help of the glyphy tool. I'll be posting some of the results in glyph format.
Replies:
posted 05-21-00 11:30 ET (US)     1 / 69  

Legend

This block of 8 palaces follows a U-pattern and has all the entertainment venues within the block. As with all palace blocks, try to keep the granaries and warehouses fairly close to the entrance of the palace district.

[This message has been edited by Eraserhead (edited 05-21-2000).]

posted 05-21-00 11:49 ET (US)     2 / 69  

Legend

This is a variation on the previous block. 2 more palaces were added while all the venues were replaced with the entertainment schools. There's also an additional market, prefecture and engineer's post. The placement of the reservoirs in this block makes it adaptable to desert provinces. Just place 2 additional fountains on the bare tiles behind the small statues. There's also an option to create a backroad (outside the block) and use the palaces for labor access.

posted 05-21-00 11:58 ET (US)     3 / 69  

Legend

This is a block of 6 palaces using a d-pattern. There's an extra school building here which you may or may not use (either one provides the necessary walker coverage). The Senate building is also optional. You can use a Governor's Palace instead which doesn't require wokers and has a much higher desirability effect. (The Senate is just a personal preference). In this case, the forum is put in place of one of the schools.

Note: If you're building in desert provinces, just move the existing fountain one tile to the right and place another one behind the barber shop. You might also consider adding another prefecture.

I've re-arranged the markets to provide more efficient coverage.

[This message has been edited by Eraserhead (edited 07-14-2000).]

posted 05-21-00 12:03 ET (US)     4 / 69  
That's it for now. I have a couple more but it still needs some testing. Btw, my thanks to those who made the glyphy. Really nice layout tool.

One quick question: Is it possible to show the hippodrome glyph vertically?

Eraserhead

posted 05-21-00 12:28 ET (US)     5 / 69  
Great work eraserhead!!! All of them look great. I especially like the second one!
posted 05-21-00 13:41 ET (US)     6 / 69  
Ave everyone,
Here it is my design for a 12 palace block. Keep a few things in mind: 1) One of the senates is actually a governor's palace. Glyphy doesn't have the guv's palace tile. 2) It could also use an oracle for looks and an actor's colony could go in there somewhere. 3) Credit goes to Brugle for the initial 6 palace design, and subsequent hints from Grumpus the Tyrant got it up to 12 for me. 4) There are a lot of service buildings needed outside that gatehouse! All of the entertainment training buildings, warehouses, workshops, farms, raw materials centers, reservoirs, aquaducts, etc., etc., etc.! 9) This is hugely expensive to build. I would estimate it would cost over 20000 to get one of these bad boys up and running.

So there it is. I spent alot of time planning and running it through glyphy, then testing it, and I think it looks great. How about you? Any ideas, suggestions, criticisms, etc are welcome so let me have 'em.

Legend

Cheers,

C
onsul
M
arcusLindicus
-----I always wanted to be someone....I guess I should have been more specific.-----
posted 05-21-00 13:47 ET (US)     7 / 69  
GREAT WORK ML!
posted 05-22-00 04:56 ET (US)     8 / 69  
Nice...
But I still prefer the U-block, market ladies tends to go the wrong way!

My signature...absolutely not a big deal!

posted 05-22-00 09:04 ET (US)     9 / 69  
The "U" block for palaces?!?!? Wha...
posted 05-22-00 09:08 ET (US)     10 / 69  
CP, I've never heard of a U block for palace blocks either...
posted 05-23-00 07:11 ET (US)     11 / 69  
Well... the U block I'm describing needs external connection. I.E. It's NOT disconnected.

Simply put all undesirable service building on one side of the "U" and let them walk out~

My signature...absolutely not a big deal!

posted 05-23-00 11:47 ET (US)     12 / 69  
Hello everyone,

For those who may want screenshots of the palace blocks, I've zinged them up for you.

P-block #1

P-block #2

P-block #3

Eraserhead

posted 07-07-00 09:25 ET (US)     13 / 69  
Here's some more p-blocks you might want to try out.

Legend

This is a non-desert block built on a loop or inner-ring road. It provides very efficient walker coverage thus ensuring a stable block of palaces. Only 1 fountain is required as all palaces are within the 4-tile range. Credit goes to Brugle who originally did this in a straight-line layout in his Valentia. In the recent ET-lympics (C3 competition), I used a slightly modified version of that block, which I've adapted here to fit the fairly small loop of 16x8 tiles.

[This message has been edited by Eraserhead (edited 07-14-2000).]

posted 07-07-00 09:46 ET (US)     14 / 69  

Legend

Still along the lines of previous design. Here I extended the loop to allow for 7 palaces and get the most of the fountain coverage. Note that to build the palaces on the market side of the loop, the initial housing plot should be placed one tile off the road.

posted 07-07-00 13:16 ET (US)     15 / 69  
That second one is absolutely gorgeus!! Haven't actually tried it yet, but I have a few variations (BTW I have included the glyphy input - check my script for a comment tag):

This first one looks really symetrical and has 8 palaces, but the vertical roads had to be expanded by one tile.

Legend

The second example has nine palaces, but I don't know if the desirability will work, and it needs more fountains.

Legend

RSC

posted 07-08-00 09:29 ET (US)     16 / 69  

Thanks RSC. I also considered fitting in 8 palaces into the loop but it didn't really seem feasible. Your example on the loop road would need an extra fountain to work and might experience desirability problems if you don't put in the oracles. Currently, I'm experimenting with a layout with 1 fountain which might be able to support 8 palaces. I'll post it if it works. Btw, I prefer to use gardens in between palaces and usually build small statues only on the tiles touching the road. They cost the same anyway and have the same effect on desirability.

posted 09-22-00 22:37 ET (US)     17 / 69  
Bumping it up before it gets deleted...
posted 09-22-00 22:52 ET (US)     18 / 69  
Gets deleted?!
posted 09-23-00 11:55 ET (US)     19 / 69  
Threads only stay on the forum for a limited amount of time. Actually, they 'expire.'
posted 09-23-00 11:58 ET (US)     20 / 69  
No they don't After a year or so they are moved to the archives...
posted 09-23-00 13:47 ET (US)     21 / 69  
pautlheo: I think that's only for the posts in the community forum.
posted 09-23-00 13:58 ET (US)     22 / 69  
So threads in GameHelp are just deleted!!!

This true?

posted 09-23-00 22:12 ET (US)     23 / 69  
I don't think old threads are deleted. They just stay in limbo until somebody bumps them.

Btw, if anybody's interested in the 8-palace single fountain block (post #16), it's been finished quite some time ago. I just never got around to posting it. I also did a layout for a 16-palace block which I'll be adding on the next update.

posted 09-24-00 09:12 ET (US)     24 / 69  
And not a minute too soon. It's a good thing the glyph code inputs are still in my hard drive.

Legend

I started this block with the placement of the fountain and the 8 palaces. I experimented a bit with loop roads but ended up cutting open one side and adding short branches of roads. I settled with a 44-tile road length (same as the U-block in post #1) and from there it was just a matter of finding the right place for each of the buildings. The only problem with desirability here was with the one palace adjacent to oracles, which was finally solved with the 2 additional large statues.

posted 09-24-00 09:23 ET (US)     25 / 69  
16-palace loop block

Legend

The block is built on a 13x21 loop of 64 road squares. The initial design was only for 14 palaces with some oracles thrown in. I tried replacing them with service buildings to free up space and ended up with this final layout for a grand total of 16 palaces (3200 non-working patricians in all!). I've built it on a test map and and it proved to be very stable. It's nice to build, but the problem of course is finding the space for it!

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Palace Blocks Galore
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames