You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How many kids are school age?
posted 09-14-00 12:06 ET (US)   
I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere, and it would be useful for city planning. One school will support a certain number of school-aged children (75, if I remember correctly), but how do I figure out how many school-aged children there will be? In other words, what percentage of the population will be school-aged children?
Replies:
posted 09-14-00 12:42 ET (US)     1 / 17  
Your Education advisor will tell you.
posted 09-14-00 13:00 ET (US)     2 / 17  
Smack:
I'm looking for an estimate of how many schools I'll need BEFORE I build a city, so that I can plan in advance how many schools I'll need. For example, if I'm using a housing block that holds 1000 people, how many schools should I plan to include per housing block?
posted 09-14-00 13:28 ET (US)     3 / 17  
The Gov - new immigrants average 14.5% school kids and all the population from 0 to 13 are counted as school kids.
posted 09-14-00 13:38 ET (US)     4 / 17  
It's a good idea to leave room for a school in every good-sized housing block, but you'll find that the number of school children in your city varies. Sometimes a lot of kids are born and all come to school age at the same time. Sometimes very few are born and so most of the educational need is in academies and libraries.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

posted 09-14-00 14:00 ET (US)     5 / 17  
i can never tell exaclt but it always has been a good idea for me to place one school per 500 capa, school kids are aged 8-13, they dont send babies there!
posted 09-14-00 14:26 ET (US)     6 / 17  
I don't do as much planning as alot of people. For example, I don't calculate how many farms I'll need to support a certain population and also support trade with natives, or whatever. I build as many Farms and Granaries and Markets as I need to keep everybody fed. If people are hungry, I build more.

I have a housing block that I use that will hold around 1,100 people. I figured that I needed to plan on 2 schools per block. My biggest frustration with the end-game is that, in order to reach the Culture rating, it seems like I always have to add 2 additional schools per housing block, plus 2 libraries, plus 2 academies. Although I have the room for all of this, it looks ridiculous.

I think they need to increase the student/teacher ratio

Paulus the 1st
posted 09-14-00 15:30 ET (US)     7 / 17  
It depends. (because of aging mainly). Theo gave you a good estimate, around 13% is about right. This will fluctuate over time so you can never be to sure.

I believe I have the exact numbers in my site

Look in the link in my sig. Look under miscelleneous and under education

GOOD LUCK!

posted 09-14-00 15:51 ET (US)     8 / 17  
Governo Simulus - what evidence do you have for your statement?
If you take a screenshot of the population census and count the pixels the only way you can make the books balance is to take schoolkids 0 to 13, academy 14 to 20, retirement 50, and workforce 60% of those of working age. The first two always agree exactly, the workforce sometimes has a small error, about .1%, I expect this is because the numbers are not all calculated at this time. I have built cities with rapid devolution and evolution by removing and replacing fountains 4 at a time, ending up with more than 58% workers, less than 5% schoolkids, no retired. With this technique you loose the old and teenagers, the schoolkids are almost all under 8.

[This message has been edited by Theo (edited 09-16-2000).]

posted 09-14-00 17:23 ET (US)     9 / 17  
Theo, paultheo's site may not be as polished as some of the others' sites, but you have to consider several things:
1. It has only recently been opened for viewing. Paultheo realizes that there is still work to be done on it, and he has shown humility, grace, and willingness to accept suggestions and even correction.
2. Most of the best sites are the work of people the pros view with deep respect. That's how long they've been around. Paultheo hasn't, as far as I know, had the benefit of that much experience just yet.
3. The best way to improve the resources at hand is to support those who are willing to provide them and to offer your own contributions to the effort.

In short, and at the risk of sounding like your mother, it would not hurt you, Theo, to apologize to paultheo and to address your comments to others with greater delicacy.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

posted 09-14-00 17:43 ET (US)     10 / 17  
Thanks a great deal olivia You are too kind

Theo, I have already planned to make many changes.

* The figures you state concerning granaries
* The figures you and catillina have found concerning entertainment
* The figures you state concerning walker coverage
* The figures you state concerning schools.

I know there are corrections to be made. Thanks to fortuna I can now make them. I would be very grateful If you would email me all the mistakes you have found so I can correct them.

BTW, I respect your opinion and I realize you are a much better player then me.

Thank you

And thanks again Olivia!

[This message has been edited by paultheo (edited 09-14-2000).]

posted 09-14-00 17:49 ET (US)     11 / 17  
i only plan out how many farms/granaries/wharves ill need. i base my school coverage on how many i seem to have to have full schol coverage. ive never realy stuck around long enough to see much of my population age so this may have somthing to do with it.
posted 09-14-00 19:07 ET (US)     12 / 17  
Ooh... so you plan ahead to the last denarium. I just build a bunch of crap as needed, and in some logical configuration. However, I do often go to great lengths to maximize the usage of space, especially farmland. Ratings advisor tells me that I need more schools to increase my culture, I build more schools. I also build at least one school and library in each block.
posted 09-15-00 07:37 ET (US)     13 / 17  
For Large Insulζ 9x9 blocks, I normally end up with
- 2 schools
- a library (and a half)
- Ύ of an academy

Some high culture ratings make it necessary to add more of each. In that case I try to put the buildings just outside the blocks so as not to use 'culture parks'

AngelJayhawkEyrie, Pharaoh Heaven, Caesar 3 Heaven, Zeus Heaven

Angel Jayhawk
Eyrie • Caesar 4 Heaven • Children of the Nile Heaven • Stronghold Heaven • Caesar 3 Heaven • Emperor Heaven • Pharaoh Heaven • Zeus Heaven • My Deviations
Support your local Heaven • My Recommendations • EXCO • HALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 09-15-00 08:34 ET (US)     14 / 17  
Theo,
I'm sure you didn't mean it so, but your remark really wasn't what one would call polite... I think you could have expressed the same thought better .

On the other hand, paultheo, generally, and especially in view of what you yourself stated later, you could have been more careful than to say you have exact numbers. Such formulation is always very likely to be proven more or less incorrect .

The Gov,
school coverage plays role only for culture rating, otherwise the only thing that matters is access to school. If you are not pursuing some high culture requirement, you don't need to build certain number of schools to have all children educated, just take care that every house that should have access is being passed by schoolchildren. Culture rating increases almost instantly as the missing services are built and operational, so it can be achieved as last, when all other requirements are met. Then you only have to build as many schools as you need to ensure needed coverage (this is design-specific) for the beginning, and can add more schools later when it becomes necessary for culture... well, at least that's how I'm doing it . The numbers Jayhawk mentioned could be approximately correct for many of my cities, too.

Cherub Baltic

[This message has been edited by Baltic (edited 09-15-2000).]

posted 09-15-00 12:55 ET (US)     15 / 17  
Yes sorry paltheo and everybody, it was late at night and I was annoyed because it was about the fifth time in a row that someone had said that my data was wrong and then proceeded to produce data which was worse than mine.
posted 09-15-00 15:34 ET (US)     16 / 17  
Theo, I never said your data was wrong If I did: sorry.
Lately, you have made many great and correct discoveries which I would be very glad to add to my site. Once again, check your mail

As the Belgian saying says: you can't do anything wrong if you never do anything. Out of the 87 pages on my site, there are obviously going to be mistakes. I don't claim to be perfect. If there are mistakes, email me...I will change them

posted 09-15-00 17:21 ET (US)     17 / 17  
i have no porblem with useing vary blatently ovious culture parks in my cities. i place 20 or 40 schools/temples/theaters/academies/libraries/hosiptals around a central "core road" that then leads off to some "main road" in the city: is a better "labor suck" than any hippodrome! i just feel that the size of most of these buildings in rediculesly small and so a grouping of acadmies is like a colloge, a grouping of hospitals is like a realy good city-wide hospital and so forth.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » How many kids are school age?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames