Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Peace Rating
posted 04-16-01 17:43 ET (US)   
Following some interesting suggestions by wolf, I have undertaken a series of tests recently on the subject of the Peace rating.

Like most people here, I thought I had a pretty good understanding of how it worked. However, both wolf's and my investigations have brought to light what appears to be a new factor affecting the peace rating. Interested? Read on then!

Also included is a resume of all the currently accepted facts on the Peace Rating.

Alan

Replies:
posted 04-16-01 17:45 ET (US)     1 / 14  
The Numbers
For the first two years of a scenario, Peace rises by two points per year. Thereafter, your citizens feel more secure, and the peace rating rises by five points per year.

These basic rises are then subject to the following modifiers:

• -1 If any house in the city spawns a protestor during the year (there are
    no further penalties for the second and subsequent protesters spawned).
  • -1 For each of the first twelve buildings destroyed by invaders or rioters

Certain buildings are classified as defensive (or defensive support) structures, and may be lost without penalty. These are:

• Walls
  • Gatehouses
  • Towers
  • Prefectures
  • Aqueducts
  • Engineers' Posts
  • Tents
  • Wells

Invasion and riot damage carries a further penalty. For two years following damage by riots
or an invasion, the peace rating rises by at most two points (just like in the
first two years of the scenario). presumably this is intended to reflect your
citizens' renewed concerns for their safety.

Worked Examples
#1 Consider a city where an invasion in year 4 destroys one building, and a second invasion in year 8 destroys eight buildings. The peace rating would change with time as follows:

DatePeace RatingDatePeace Rating
January, Year 12January, Year 722
January, Year 24January, Year 827
January, Year 39January, Year 924
January, Year 414January, Year 1026
January, Year 518January, Year 1128
January, Year 620January, Year 1233

#2 Now consider a city in which a criminal is spawned in years 1 and 4. The Peace rating would change as follows

DatePeace RatingDatePeace Rating
January, Year 12January, Year 413
January, Year 23January, Year 517
January, Year 38January, Year 622
posted 04-17-01 01:48 ET (US)     2 / 14  
Oooh...
I thought there was some connection to the danger level of a city. For instance, peace in Lindum or Sarmi seemed to rise faster than in Valentia. On the other hand, I got 100 peace in Valentia, so that must have been an illusion.
posted 04-19-01 08:58 ET (US)     3 / 14  
Very good post, Caesar Alan!
Especially the maximal Peace rating loss due to destroyed buildings and the list of buildings that can be destroyed without penalty are very useful. Thanks!

Angel Baltic

posted 04-19-01 17:53 ET (US)     4 / 14  
Caesar Alan,
I should have complimented you earlier. Very good stuff! I'm surprised that aqueducts can be destroyed without a Peace penalty.
posted 04-20-01 14:33 ET (US)     5 / 14  
Brugle So was I! In fact, I was so surprised that I went back and checked all over again just to make sure

Caesar AlanThe Appian WayThe Trojan Horse
CityBuildingContests.net
"Don't be frightened little sheep. I won't hurt you... much."

posted 04-20-01 21:50 ET (US)     6 / 14  
Caesar Alan,

I finally took a close look at your examples. In Example #1, Peace rises by 5 - (number of buildings damaged) at the beginning of the year after invasion damage. If so, after an invasion that destroys only a building or two, Peace can rise more at the beginning of the next year than in the two following years, which is surprising. Would you confirm that the example is correct?

I've read that damage caused by a gladiator revolt affects Peace. Did you check that? How about earthquake damage?

Finally, I would enjoy hearing how you did the tests, if you're not too busy catching fish or building chariots.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 04-20-2001 @ 09:57 PM).]

posted 04-24-01 16:58 ET (US)     7 / 14  
excellent work, Alan, as aways!

What surprises me most is that burnt tents do not seem to trouble the peace rating.....

[Omnium harum gentium virtute praecipui Batavi]
posted 04-24-01 17:12 ET (US)     8 / 14  
Citizen Paul,
I'd guess that destroyed tents don't affect Peace because they might be used to provide guards at remote towers.
posted 04-24-01 18:12 ET (US)     9 / 14  
I like the way Alan has developed the subject... Excellent work.

Cordially,
Abelius
posted 05-03-01 09:17 ET (US)     10 / 14  
Hello all. Sorry to jump into this thread several days late. I finally got registered in this forum after
"lurking" here for several weeks. Some comments:

1. I think Brugle is right about earthquakes. I just played
the Tarraco scenario, and during the year of the quake my
peace rating rose only 4 points instead of 5. I don't think
I had any protestors, but I'm not absolutely certain.

2. It's strange that aqueducts are "defensive" structures.
Too bad reservoirs aren't. Once I had some bad guys break
through my defenses and they knocked down a reservoir. I
was hoping they would be washed away in a huge flood, but no
such luck, only the usual cloud of dust.

3. I commend Caesar Alan for his incredibly detailed experimentation on this topic (and many others).

posted 08-29-02 12:44 ET (US)     11 / 14  
I've found this thread in the archieves and it answered almost all of my questions concerning the Peace rating.
Thanks Caesar Allen for your work, I thought I would bring it back up again for other players to see.
posted 09-09-03 00:58 ET (US)     12 / 14  
Sarmizegesta (?)

I have had the occasional native revolt that has dented my peace rating down to 28 from the required 55, whilst every other requirement would otherwise let me be promoted.

One tribe of natives cause all the trouble, even knocking down the missions posts in their territory! They chipped away at outlying structures such as trading warehouses and the like without me noticing and now I have a long haul back to peace for my City. With the ever present Gothic threat I expect this may be some time!

My question though relates to an anomaly I have found, which I think is a bug. Some of the attacking natives have remained after the skirmish, permanently hacking away at structures without damaging them! They can't be killed by troops, and when a prefect attacks them, he also goes into a permanent duel with them. I can also build walls over the top of them and they keep chopping!

Given that they are not destroying anything I expect that they should not continue to impact on my already dismal peace rating? Anyone experienced anything similar?

posted 09-09-03 01:14 ET (US)     13 / 14  
Sounds like a graphic bug... I guess you have to restart the game. I've had cases like this before (just that prefects and soldiers don't engage them at all) but because they didn't do any harm, I did not bother with them at all.

D XUAN
posted 09-09-03 20:29 ET (US)     14 / 14  
ahura mazda,

Yes, that's a rare but known problem. My Sarmizegetusa (in the Downloads) has a similar native (who's permanently attacking a gatehouse).

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Peace Rating
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames