Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Timing of disasters
posted 02-25-02 11:43 ET (US)   
The "disasters" I have in mind are the occasional collapses of iron mines or flooded clay pits that occur in some scenarios. These are not really disasters but just an irritation. I suppose storms that interrupt trading could be added to the list.

My question is how exactly does the game determine when these events occur? I have read that they occur "randomly" but I would like more detail, if that is known. Once a scenario map is created, are these events set at that time, so they are standard for all who play the map? Or if you replay a map could the disasters occur at different times, and possibly different frequencies? In the map editor one simply sets these events by yes or no, yet in my experience there can be enormous variation in frequency from map to map. For example, I am most of the way through playing the career Caesarea map. After 13 years I have had only one mine collapse. In contrast when I played Sarum in the CBC contest last November (same empire state) the mine collapses were so frequent that it was not unusual to have the same mine go down two or even three times in one year, sometimes even in consecutive months.

Replies:
posted 02-25-02 17:32 ET (US)     1 / 6  
I seem to recall when I played Valentia I had a clay pit flooding about once a year. I haven't been big on scenario creation, so I can't help with the particulars.
posted 02-26-02 04:28 ET (US)     2 / 6  
U can't specify exactly when clay pits or iron mines will collapse....I've not figured out how the game engine randomly determines when disasters will occur

I doubt there's really any logical, sensical pattern

posted 02-26-02 05:08 ET (US)     3 / 6  
Sometimes iron mines collapse may not be predetermined disasters...just that you didn't have an engineer's post up nearbly...

"War does not decide who is right... only who is left." -Bertrand Russell
posted 02-26-02 08:23 ET (US)     4 / 6  
In a particular saved game, the 'disasters' all happen at the same time no matter how many times you replay it.

D XUAN
posted 02-27-02 02:53 ET (US)     5 / 6  
Just on Gaiseric's reply, that's true and the message you get about the collapse should tell you whether it was lack of engineer visits or the "Random" function. If it's a random collapse, I think it says something about an underground fault in the iron mine that our engineers couldn't fix, something like that, otherwise it'll tell you that engineers failed to get there in time. So check the messages and it'll tell you which was the case. Either way it's a goner!
posted 02-27-02 08:16 ET (US)     6 / 6  
Yup, there's a message for Clay Pit floodings and Iron Mines collapsing.

D XUAN
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Timing of disasters
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames