Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: new luxury palaces.
posted 11-16-02 11:33 ET (US)   
these are my first palace block designs. (All have been tested in Valentia mission.)

An explanation for unexperienced players with palaces:
The houising signs should placed like this:

Legend
After the evolving it will look like this:

Legend

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 01-03-2003 @ 04:07 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-16-02 13:21 ET (US)     1 / 27  
13by12 loop
6 luxury palaces

Legend

13by17 loop
8 luxury palaces

Legend

I have tried to make it as small as possible in order to make it more effective.
13by19 loop
10 luxury palaces
Now there are 10 palaces but I added almost nothing.Only a few statues, one reservoir. I still work with 2 fountains, 1 prefecure...and they are sufficient. Tnx the loop all the workers (but the school's) will walk in a ring.

Legend

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 11-18-2002 @ 01:26 PM).]

posted 11-16-02 13:36 ET (US)     2 / 27  
Didn't test yours yet, but could you give explanations and tell us why you did some things: Like, why 3 Granaries?? I usually think 1 is enough.
posted 11-16-02 14:51 ET (US)     3 / 27  
Sometimes granaries or warehouses are getting full with one good/food. Therefore I separated them.But this part is optional. I only added them to show how they could be placed.

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 12-08-2002 @ 01:32 AM).]

posted 11-16-02 14:54 ET (US)     4 / 27  
Hi philon, welcome to Caesar III Heaven.

I'd like to point out that a chariot maker will only generate chariots if the road touches the northwest third of the hippodrome. Therefore, someone who wants an "operational" hippodrome should only build the block in the original post if north is up-left and should only build the block in reply #1 if north is down-right. (I think the hippodrome will generate chariots even if it doesn't get any from a chariot maker, so luxury palaces could form regardless of the orientation. However, having an "operational" hippodrome means that Prosperity will rise 1 more each year, which is sometimes important.)

The block in reply #1 has a 56-tile loop. That is rather long, and I'd expect that walkers will frequently return to their buildings the way that they came (in other words, will not continue around the loop). The block will work fine as long as each required walker either sometimes takes a longer-than-normal walk or sometimes leaves his building going in each direction. That's often the case--early in my "career" I often made block with similar long loops, and seldom had to rearrange buildings to get them to work properly. However, it's nice to know that a block with a shorter loop (such as the block in the original post) is much less likely to have walker problems.

posted 11-16-02 14:59 ET (US)     5 / 27  
The block in reply #3 has an even longer loop, and is therefore even more likely to have walker problems. However, the road touches 10 tiles of the hippodrome, and therefore touches at least a corner of the northwest third even if north is up-left. I don't remember if touching a corner of the northwest third of the hippodrome is enough to make it "operational", and I don't have time to check.
posted 11-16-02 15:28 ET (US)     6 / 27  
hi all.I'm new at forums and I'm surprised how fast a repl come to my posts.(Tnx Emperor Jay and Brugle) By the way as u will see my english isnt the best and I apoligise if I express me in a wrong way.

1.Hipodrome:
I know the problem with the hipodrome cuz i had readed an explanation of u before.Therefore i leaved as much space around the hipodrome as ý can in order to someone needs to turn the hipodrome.

2.The workers:
I have watched (in the first and second block)the engineers, prefecures, librarians, doctors, barbers,bath workers and thet all make a ring except the school's therefore i placed the school carefully.
I think the gatehouse plays an important role here. As I replaced it with a triumphal arch some people started to go out.But as i said before i have tested the blocks a long time to be sure that they have no walker problems.U will see if u try it they work great.

posted 11-16-02 15:33 ET (US)     7 / 27  
Brugle u will surprised since the story isnt over with my 13 by Any palace blocks.
posted 11-16-02 16:57 ET (US)     8 / 27  
I couldnt find a way to show the hipodrome straight with the glyphy tool (except turning all the picture) so i have made a few changes instead.I had tested the blocks in valentia and luckly there is it the northwest side of the hipodrome wich touches the road.
13by20 loop
12 luxury palaces

Legend

it could be like this if necessary

Legend

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 11-18-2002 @ 01:37 PM).]

posted 11-16-02 17:17 ET (US)     9 / 27  
now we have palace blocks for 6,8,10 and 12 palaces.The last one with 12 palaces still uses bare mimumum services .Only 1 prefecure,1 engineer post,1 school, 1 library,bathouse... And interestingly it works without any problems.

It had taken me some time to design it because the road should as short as possible.-now it is 20 tiles- so I hadnt space for adding new services . (asspecialy with the large statues added here)

posted 11-16-02 18:32 ET (US)     10 / 27  
Here we have a palace block with 14 luxury palaces.
The road is now 13x24.
These 13 by N blocks have nearly reached the limits because if u make the road longer there will be coverage and desirability problems starting. And it already happened here. I added one more school. The palaces in the middle lacked of desirability so I used oracles-which have a long range desirability effect(8,8,7,7,6,6)Interestingly here is that all these buildings have only one prefecure and engineer post.

Legend
posted 11-16-02 19:31 ET (US)     11 / 27  
this is the last one.I used large temples instead oracles in order to save space (they have the same desirability effect). Without them the palaces in the middle would never get enough desirability.There are 2 schools and 5 markets like the previous one. I tried to make a bigger block but i realized that i had to use nearly everthing twice and this makes no sence cuz building 2 saparate blocks would work better.

Legend

I have tested this block in Valentia for more than a years time and it worked without any problems

posted 11-16-02 19:39 ET (US)     12 / 27  
philon,

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. As far as I can tell, walkers do not have entirely predictable behavior. If a block works in one position on one map with certain other roads, there is no guarantee that it would work if it had been built in a different position or if the surrounding roads had been different. There is nothing wrong with building a large block that might not work properly--in fact, some people enjoy playing around with their cities. (And, as I said, I've built similar large blocks before, gotten them to work, and been proud of them.) But anyone reading about these blocks should know that the large ones might require some tinkering to get the walkers to behave properly.

Some walkers (such as prefects and architects) will always go a fair distance (more than 40 tiles) before returning to their building. Most walkers, however, can only be counted on to go about 26 or 27 tiles before returning to their building. In most situations (but not always), such a walker will go considerably farther in at least 1 walk out of 4. In most situations (but not always), such a walker will leave his/her building in each direction at least 1 walk out of 4. Therefore, most of the time, blocks such as these will work. However, in some situations, a walker (perhaps a surgeon or librarian or barber or priest or...) will always leave his building heading in the same direction and will always return home after going about 26 or 27 tiles. When that happens in a block with a long loop road, some of the houses will miss some services. However, exchanging the offending building with something else will often fix the problem.

As you know, school kids do not behave like other walkers. Even with moderate loop roads, multiple schools may be needed for complete coverage. (If you want a high Culture rating then you'll probably want extra schools anyway.)

A single prefecture and single engineer post is "standard practice" for intersection-free loop roads. (A few times in a desert mission, I have temporarily put 2 prefectures on a long loop road in a housing block that will remain tents for a long time, and then deleted the extra prefecture after the tents evolved to less flammable houses.)

By the way, I don't mean to quibble, but your blocks do not have "bare mimumum services", since each has 5 temples. Coverage from priests of 3 gods is sufficient.

posted 11-16-02 20:34 ET (US)     13 / 27  
tnx for your comments.
posted 11-16-02 21:42 ET (US)     14 / 27  
I would suggest this. I learnt it from Theo's designs and they are both very useful and can contain several Palaces. The actual block is straight. However, because the Glyph doesn't allow me too much space, I bent it to fit in. You can see how flexible it can be. Something with 20 Palaces (you can fit in even more with more Markets) which can be put inside almost anywhere is a good buy.

Legend

D XUAN
posted 11-17-02 15:15 ET (US)     15 / 27  
I compared Theo's design to mine. I counted the workers they use. My 16 palace block needs 26,3 workers per palace and Theo's 26,1 . For a better comparison I designed and tested these :

18 palaces:

Legend

20 palaces:

Legend

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 11-17-2002 @ 03:20 PM).]

posted 11-17-02 15:59 ET (US)     16 / 27  
Lets make some calculation
Here are the workers my palace blocks uses:
6 palace: 383 workers
8 palace: 388 workers
10 palace: 388 workers
12 palace: 396 workers
14 palace: 411 workers
16 palace: 421 workers
18 palace: 447 workers
20 palace: 447 workers
Theo's 20 palace: 522 workers (There was an amphitheater missing so i added it)

A further comparison of the two 20 palace blocks:
Theo's palace block has;
1 more hospital, 1 more bath, 6 more small temples, 1 more library, 1 more academy, 1 more forum and 2 less fountains, 1 less market, 4 less large temples.
This makes 30+10+12+20+30+6-8-5-20= 75 more workers

Lets look how many workers are needed per palace in these blocks:
6 palace block : 383/6 = 63,83 workers per palace
8 palace block : 388/8 = 48,5 workers per palace
10 palace block : 388/10= 38,8 workers per palace
12 palace block : 396/12= 33 workers per palace
14 palace block : 411/14= 29,35 workers per palace
16 palace block : 421/16= 26,3 workers per palace
18 palace block : 447/18= 24,83 workers per palace
20 palace block : 447/20= 22,35 workers per palace
Theo's 20 palaces:522/20= 26,1 workers per palace

posted 11-18-02 09:16 ET (US)     17 / 27  
20 luxury palaces???...ufff.
what about prosperity...does it rise 100???

Peace and Love forever.
posted 11-18-02 12:00 ET (US)     18 / 27  
What an absolutely impressive amount of palaces!!!!! I am amazed. I have only ever had 4 palaces at one time. Has anyone ever reached 100 prosperity? You must have come close with all of these palaces.
posted 11-18-02 12:25 ET (US)     19 / 27  
eds,
Many people have built cities with Prosperity 100--the Downloads section contains lots of examples. Since the maximum Prosperity depends on housing, there are different ways to achieve Prosperity 100--crummy houses plus lots of palaces, good houses plus a few palaces, good houses plus several villas, etc.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 11-18-2002 @ 12:31 PM).]

posted 11-18-02 23:31 ET (US)     20 / 27  
Philon, yup the design I gave in my previous post uses up more workers because it's seperated in two. However, the best part about it is that can be twisted in any way.

Your blocks are extremely good too (I especially like the 20 Palace one) but I'm not too sure that it can be bent...?

D XUAN
posted 11-23-02 03:31 ET (US)     21 / 27  
I tried to copy one of these designs and print it but was totally unable. How do you all do this? Or do you just remember it and make it up each time.
posted 11-23-02 11:46 ET (US)     22 / 27  
Hi Clif,
I copy and paste it in a word page and then print. There will be some space around each object but its still not too bad and I dont try to fix this cuz my computer is getting locked.
posted 11-24-02 08:26 ET (US)     23 / 27  
I had that block already stored in memory. Almost everything in the game is.

D XUAN
posted 11-24-02 14:44 ET (US)     24 / 27  
Yeah, DX, but how did you get it there. thats what I can't work out?
posted 11-25-02 01:18 ET (US)     25 / 27  
Well, I suppose when you use it more often (and try to build them from memory), you'll get everything stuck in your mind. It's natural.

D XUAN
posted 02-13-08 20:38 ET (US)     26 / 27  
any way that a code could be put in? I cant figure out what some building are!

nevermind-

[This message has been edited by stuckincaesar3 (edited 02-13-2008 @ 08:40 PM).]

posted 02-14-08 07:53 ET (US)     27 / 27  
Not stuck any more? Guess you found the Legend link. Welcome BTW
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » new luxury palaces.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames