Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Getting Imported Food from Warehouse to Granary
posted 05-24-99 17:59 ET (US)   
This is an old thread, but I couldn't find it when I looked in the forums. I just finished Lugdunum, glad it's past. Against everyone's advice, I built in the East, made it my trade and industrial center, held the majority of my population. It worked pretty well for a while, was able to keep everyone fed chaining granaries. But at the end of the game when the population got up to level elsewhere on the map, I couldn't keep the eastern granaries full, so I started importing fruit, again against everyone's advice. Problem was, most of it never left the warehouse. I thought that when you set a granary to "Getting..." a granary cart would go to a warehouse and collect the goods, apparently not the case. I couldn't tell for sure but it looked as though the warehouse cart pusher was hauling fruit to the granary (amongst all his other tasks) while the granary cart pushers stood idle. When I tried telling the granary cart pushers to "Get..." wheat, off they went in a hurry, so I guess they will only "Get.." from another granary, can anyone confirm?? I ended up just giving up, overproducing more wheat, stuck at the end of the game with a warehouse full of fruit I couldn't get rid of....
Replies:
posted 05-24-99 18:10 ET (US)     1 / 6  
Hi ,
I have had this problem. You are right, as far as I know granaries will only get food from other granaries. You could try building a granary near the warehouse which is overloaded with fruit- the warehouse will deliver to this granary and then setting your other granary to getting fruit should work. Also build a warehouse near your empty granary and set that to getting fruit. This may speed up the supply of fruit to your empty granary!
Hope this helps for now.
posted 05-25-99 00:48 ET (US)     2 / 6  
PACowan is right, the only way imported food is going from your warehouse to your granary is via that single warehouse (the one accepting the imported food) cart pusher. The fastest way to do this, as PAc has also said, is to build the warehouse that accepts imported food right next to a granary that accepts that food type. Make sure that that warehouse's cart pusher doesn't have to do anything else like sending raw materials to a workshop, although I can't say I agree with the part about having that warehouse getting food from other warehouses first. This only means that that warehouse cart ousher has to go get the food, and then send it to the granary. Better to have that single warehouse dedicated to receiving that imported food only.

Funny thing, I still think the best advice is still heeding conventional wisdom (in this case at least). Never ever rely on imported food to feed your population, or probably not even any single segment fo it. Food imports should only be used to add variety to your citizens' diet.

posted 05-25-99 01:47 ET (US)     3 / 6  
Importing the food should be the last resort, if you are sure you can't do without it. I didn't use it in the career at all - that is, I tried once, in the last year before finishing a mission to add variety - but it ended before some food could be distributed.

teck has given you the right advice for the case you wish to import, though. Set only one or two warehouses to accepting the imported food - and nothing else! - and have a granary accepting ONLY this food right next to it. "Getting" does not help any, Accepting is good enough - maybe better.

Cherub Baltic

posted 05-25-99 17:06 ET (US)     4 / 6  
Thanks everyone! You've confirmed my suspicions, the granary cart pushers were loafing while the warehouse cart pusher was working his keester off! You have to wonder, if it worked the way I thought it would, importing food may not be quite as unpopular an idea as it is. I'm still not ready to give up on the idea yet, maybe I'll try to make a food import work in my next assignment, I'll let you know if I learn anything new. Thanks again.
posted 05-25-99 20:59 ET (US)     5 / 6  
Hi

I myself have used importing food on several scenarios where food production is limited or employment has become a problem. I will build a housing area completly seperated from the rest of the city. The only warehouse accepting this good will be there and a granary. Additional employees are quickly added with no stress to my local food supply. Hope this helps .

posted 05-27-99 14:05 ET (US)     6 / 6  
Although I agree that it's best not to depend on importing food except for variety, I must admit it bailed me out once. I had a housing block that just would not stabilize - the farms and feeder granaries were just far enough away that the markets couldn't keep up. While they were away getting food, pottery would run out. While getting pottery, food would run out, etc. So I built a warehouse and granery adjacent to each other and the troublesome housing block and solved the problem.

BTW, the above illustrates that it usually isn't JUST the availability of food, or just the availability of pottery, etc, that de-stabilizes housing, but the ability of the markets to keep all the goods available. If they have to travel too far, they run out of something else while fetching it. Sometimes more markets will solve the problem, other times you have to do someting about the supply.

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Getting Imported Food from Warehouse to Granary
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames