Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Raw material/workshop production, trade, markets, & farms
posted 07-12-03 19:53 ET (US)   
Wow! After playing Pharaoh and Zeus, I had forgotten what a truly challenging game Caesar III was. I've also forgotten some of the more basic aspects of the game.

1) I just finished Miletus, and was wondering what the ratio of production was from a raw materials to the workshop. I had weapons and furniture filling up my warehouses so that I could not get them to take anything else, until I turned off the industries. I was under the impression that one RM, such as an iron mine or timber yard could keep two workshops producing without fail, assuming all are fully staffed. Is this correct? Maybe I had too many shops going at once.

2)My next question is, when you are importing an item, which warehouse typically gets that item? For instance, in Miletus, I had a great deal of trouble importing pottery and clay, since I could only get them delivered to those warehouses closest to the docks. I couldn't get them from there to the outlying areas of the city. Do trade caravans and ships distribute more to warehouses closer to trade routes (if all warehouses are accepting goods)?

3)Does having more markets around a city block mean that each market will distribute different products to the same group of houses? I'm wondering if one market might spend all of its time distributing one or two goods- say food and pottery, so that it would never get the chance to deliver furniture or wine. Do I need more than one market to provide ALL the coverage a house needs to evolve to villa?

4)Do all farms produce the same amount of food at the same rate? Will I get more food production from 5 wheat farms, 5 pig farms, or 5 fruit farms, or are they all the same?

Replies:
posted 07-12-03 20:49 ET (US)     1 / 10  
Hi Orange octopus, welcome to Caesar III Heaven.

All of the following assume that buildings are fully staffed, are supplied with raw materials (if needed) and that cart pushers return from their deliveries before the next batch is finished.

Wheat farms in central and southern provinces produce 1.6 cartloads per month. Wheat farms in northern provinces, all other farms, clay pits, timber yards, and iron mines produce 0.8 cartloads per month. Marble quarries and all workshops produce 0.4 cartloads per month. So, as you thought, a raw material producer will support 2 workshops.

It is not always clear which warehouse will receive imports. Of the warehouses that might receive an imported good, if one warehouse has more total empty space, has more room for the good, is closer to the entry point (for land caravans) or dock (for ships), and is the trade center, then that warehouse should receive the good. (If land traders can sell more than one good then it isn't so simple.) The opposite problem from yours is more common--dockers delivering to warehouses that are far away, tying up the dock and restricting the total amount of trade. Designing a city so that the desired amount of trade can occur and goods can be delivered to where they are needed is sometimes difficult.

Each market buyer will try to obtain all foods that she can, and will always try to get the most desired food that her market lacks (wheat, if there is some). If she doesn't want to get food, she will try to get goods in this order: pottery, furniture, oil, wine, but only those goods that are required by houses that the market's trader has passed.

1 market can support a small number of villas or palaces, if granaries and warehouses with the required goods are very close. If foods and goods are farther or the number of houses is greater, then the number of markets needed increases. I've built cities where some (small) blocks have 1 market while other (large) blocks have 4.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 07-12-2003 @ 08:50 PM).]

posted 07-12-03 21:02 ET (US)     2 / 10  
Hi Orange octopus,

1. Yes thats correct. 1 RM for 2 W

2. Ships are delivering goods to the nearest accepting warehouse wich has a road to the dock. For caravans I havent found a rule yet. They seem to make random decisions.

For your specific case you could either set the warehouse near the dock accepting and the others getting clay or you could produce all pottery near to the dock an set some warehouses getting pottery. The second option would work better if pottery is needed in two different parts of the map. But the getting warehouses shouldnt busy with something else like delivering RM to the workshops.

3. In c3 you cant give orders to markets like in pharaoh. The markets will work all the same way. They will first try to get enough food and then they will get some goods. I usually build one market per 500 people.
Most problems about markets occur when there isnt enough food of any kind wich is reachable for a market.

4. Wheat farms produce more. I dont know the exact ratio. As far as I know all the rest produces the same.

Edit:
missed Brugles reply. So you have the exact numbers for the details.

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 07-12-2003 @ 09:09 PM).]

posted 07-12-03 21:48 ET (US)     3 / 10  
Setting the Warehouse you want your imports to go to as the Trade Centre would help, I think.

D XUAN
posted 07-14-03 01:53 ET (US)     4 / 10  
Due to oversupply I sometimes have a similar siutation to what OO described i.e. warehouses jam packed with goods. In the past I have had like 100 units sitting stockpiled in warehouses of various goods.

However, because of new settlements, I can't switch off the industries despite the stockpile, because the new areas need their own suppliers to get them up to an acceptbale housing level.

I can't trust the cartpushers to get the goods to where I want at a sufficient speed to ensure that I don't get devolution.

If I made heaps of new warehouses close to the new housing and set them to getting goods would this solve the problem do you think?

The future is last Tuesday
posted 07-14-03 10:07 ET (US)     5 / 10  
ahura mazda,

If you have too much of a particular good in warehouses, just set all warehouses to not accept that good.

I can't answer your question without knowing the specifics of the problem. In most cases a few "getting" warehouses are sufficient, although if you are trying to support a large number of goods-using houses that are a long distance from the "accepting" warehouses then 'heaps' of "getting" warehouses may be necessary.

posted 01-07-12 11:01 ET (US)     6 / 10  
I have a question which is mostly related to this topic. I have been playing Caesar III on and off for a few years now and lately have been making a concerted effort to improve my city building, thus I've recently reached higher levels in the game. My strategy has been that as my city gets larger - ie with each new block that I add - I increase my domestic industry (add more raw materials and workshops). With this growth, I find I have increasing trouble with labour shortage. I check the census and the housing stability (which is not always that good, as I'm not certain I've mastered distribution yet). However, I'm concerned that I'm also using too many workshops which are using up labour. Is there any kind of rule of thumb of workshops per capita or anything like that which could help?
posted 01-08-12 18:55 ET (US)     7 / 10  
Hi Guyus Edwardus, welcome to Caesar III Heaven.

Each house that consumes a good consumes 0.02 cartloads (2 units) per month, except that palaces consume 0.04 cartloads (4 units) per month of wine. In other words, a workshop produces enough of a good to supply 20 houses which consume that good, except that a wine workshop produces enough to supply only 10 palaces with wine. Note that there cannot be a per capita rule of thumb, since the amount of each good consumed depends highly on the housing mix.

It is possible that your worker shortages are caused mainly by aging. If you've taken a long time to complete a mission (more that about 20 years), you may have a lot of old (retired) people who do not work.
posted 01-14-12 06:09 ET (US)     8 / 10  
Hi Brugle, thank you for your kind words of welcome! :-)

I put up the particular city in question - Valentia - on the downloads page and sure enough, someone gave me the same advice. My city was past the 20 year mark by that stage.
posted 01-19-12 15:42 ET (US)     9 / 10  
Just one small point, I notice that households - plebian and patrician - seem to buy up to 8 units of pottery at a time, while only buying the 4 units (2 months supply) of furniture and wine. Does that mean that, like wine, the housing will use twice as much pottery as furniture and oil in a month?

These citizens seem quite clumsy if they keep breaking their pots at such a rate :-)
posted 01-20-12 02:25 ET (US)     10 / 10  
No, pottery consumption is 2 units per house per month, the same as it is for oil/furniture/wine in villae. It simply means that houses can last longer on pottery without visits from a market trader, making houses at Small Insulae and below a little easier to keep stable than those at higher levels.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Raw material/workshop production, trade, markets, & farms
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames