You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Puzzled by random walkers?
posted 05-17-05 16:38 ET (US)   
C3 players may be interested in a article (in .pdf) by StephAmon on Pharaoh random walkers, which is linked from his Pharaoh Game Help thread Predicting Roaming Walks. (I've linked to that thread before, but not from an obvious place.) In reply #8, I describe a difference between Pharaoh and C3 random walkers.
Replies:
posted 04-25-06 13:06 ET (US)     1 / 2  
I either forgot or somehow missed reply #15 by lemmus (now posting as Trurl) in Randomness of Random Walkers. Besides covering many of the key points of StephAmon's Ambulomancy paper that was linked from the thread linked from the opening post, it also covered the point I made in reply #8 of that thread.
posted 04-25-06 13:33 ET (US)     2 / 2  
I have some additional (corrected from my old thread) information on random walkers in "random" mode.

The direction they will take at an intersection depends on two things - the tile itself and the number of tiles the walker has passed since he began the "random" part of the walk.

Knowing this is of no use for helping the walker choose the correct direction when he passes through the intersection for the first time, but should he choose a dead end it is possible to drastically raise the chance of him going in the right way the second time!

How it works:
At an intersection, the algorithm makes a calculation and outputs a direction which the walker should take, it can be NE SE SW or NW. If there is no road towards that direction and/or it is the road the walker is coming from the next clockwise direction is chosen.
If the walker comes back to the intersection after he has travelled one tile forth and back, the algorithm will output the next clockwise direction to the one it previously output.
If the walker comes back after travelling two tiles, he will be supposed to take the opposite direction (two times clockwise)
If the walker comes back after three tiles he will be supposed to take the counterclockwise direction (three times clockwise)
If he comes back after four tiles he will be supposed to take the same direction he was originally supposed to take.
Five tiles is the same as one, six as two and so on.

In the following example adding the two road tiles right from the granary ensures that the labor seeker from the farm heads towards the houses by eliminating the chance that he takes a dead end and then the road he came from.

Legend

[This message has been edited by Trurl (edited 05-01-2006 @ 09:53 AM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Puzzled by random walkers?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames