Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unconnected Sections of City
posted 04-08-11 18:48 ET (US)   
I've seen many people say it helps to control where workers go by creating seperate sections to the city.

I get having, say, a farming area, and a pottery area, etc. What I DON'T get, is how does the food get to the pottery area and the pottery to the farming area, when there are no roads connecting them?
Replies:
posted 04-09-11 05:53 ET (US)     1 / 14  
Hi Sityl, welcome to Caesar III Heaven.

If I build a city with disconnected housing areas, I try to provide each block individually with food and goods (as necessary to reach the desired housing level). So, each block will have its own supply of food (farming or fishing), pottery and furniture (for example, if available). Labour for those industries can be provided by some housing built on the outside edge of the housing block.

You might to look in our Downloads Section, Completed Cities to see how players have built their cities.

"Can I draw you a beer, Norm?"
"No, I know what they look like. Just pour me one."
Cheers !!
posted 04-09-11 07:29 ET (US)     2 / 14  
When this is not possible, you can also build granaries and warehouses with "getting food/goods" orders. Carts pushers will travel to other parts of the city to get goods, even when they cannot find a road (though they'll use a road if there is one).

Possible problems with this technique are :
- when too many goods are too far away from the block, cart pushers won't be able to get them all fast enough. Just build another warehouse/granary and separate the tasks in this case.
- more importantly, if one type of food is less produced than the other, the closest markets / granaries usually get them first and the furthest granaries are deprived of it.

Suppose that you want a patrician district to get another type of food. if you don't want plebeians to have it, produce it in an area unconnected with plebeian markets, forbid plebeian granaries to get it and order one patrician granary to get it. If you want your plebeians to have it, produce enough of it to cover the need and as close as possible to the patrician district.

[This message has been edited by CaesarSalad (edited 04-09-2011 @ 07:31 AM).]

posted 04-09-11 10:47 ET (US)     3 / 14  
Hello Sityl, welcome to the forum.
you can also build granaries and warehouses with "getting food/goods" orders. Carts pushers will travel to other parts of the city to get goods, even when they cannot find a road (though they'll use a road if there is one).
This is true for warehouses but not for granaries. The only cart pushers who do not need a road connection are warehouse cart pushers that are Getting from another warehouse. Granary cart pushers, like all other cart pushers, need a road connection.

It is possible to move food between unconnected sections, using one or more warehouses set to Get. Such cart pushers must deliver the food to a granary after Getting it before market buyers will obtain it. I've only used this technique in a few cities, since it is rather inefficient. I generally prefer for each section to have its own food supply. (I've often used Getting warehouses to move non-food goods between unconnected sections.)

As Granite Q mentioned, there are many example cities in our Downloads by lots of different players that use unconnected sections, but I'll mention 3 of mine because I know them. My "No Trade Valentia" has 3 unconnected sections, each with its own supplies of food and non-food goods, in two cases using granaries set to Get to move a food. My "Tarsus - Pr 100 in 10 yrs" has 4 unconnected sections, each with its own food supply, but non-food goods are moved between sections using warehouses set to Get. My "Happy Miletus" has 3 unconnected sections, with non-food goods moved between sections using warehouses set to Get, and in two cases with food moved between sections using warehouses set to Get.

In any given mission, the player usually has several reasonable choices for how to arrange food and goods production and distribution. Have fun trying different techniques, and good luck!

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 04-09-2011 @ 10:49 AM).]

posted 04-16-11 08:37 ET (US)     4 / 14  
It's not THAT inefficient using getting warehouses for food, in fact in situations where it is not viable to build housing near the food source, in my opinion it is often the best option. I've used it to feed fish to 19,000 patricians in a contest (Palm Springs), and also found it very useful in Lugdunum career mission.

Suppose you have one getting warehouse, whose cartpusher has a 240 tile round trip to the warehouse he gets from. This takes just on four months. If the getting warehouse is very close to the granary, he should be able to deliver 4 loads in another month. Thus the output of one getting warehouse would approximate that of one farm (not wheat in central or desert climates), at an additional cost of 6 workers. It can be higher if the distance between warehouses is less.

There are caveats to using this strategy. It is highly recommended that all food initially be sent to just a single warehouse, which may itself introduce inefficiency. Otherwise the getting cartpusher will select a warehouse that may be empty by the time he arrives (as you'd be running several to many getting warehouses, not just one). This can also happen with a single warehouse but the idea is to balance the supply with the demand.

The other issue is that it can take many months before you first see food in your granary, as the getting warehouse has to have 5 or more units before it will attempt to fill a granary (so long as it is set to getting). This can be overcome somewhat by initially using multiple carpushers, if you don't consider this to be cheating, or by manipulating warehouse orders.

Warehouses count as 9 buildings, so getting warehouses are not the best if you are likely to exceed the building limit.

[This message has been edited by goonsquad (edited 04-16-2011 @ 08:49 AM).]

posted 04-16-11 09:53 ET (US)     5 / 14  
Hello everyone. I have a question about entertainers from actor colonies etc. In Whisperwind 777´s Eternal Lugdunum, which I have downloaded recently, is the farming island and main land, where the natives are, disconnected by using gardens. However, entertainers from gladiator school in villa compound stopped emerging, when I loaded that save. It is not important for me because of gameplay limitation, as I have a personal rule of connecting whole road system, but I´m courious whether I have a corrupted game (I´m still using my old CD, which I bought in 1999, as a bonus in one PC magazine. Of course, I´ve downloaded the patch)
posted 04-16-11 13:48 ET (US)     6 / 14  
Prefect Marty,

I don't have a city-building computer available, so I can't examine the city, but I'll try to help.

Is the lack of gladiators a problem? Grand villas would get enough entertainment points from coverage from a colosseum with 2 shows, an amphitheater (with or without shows), a theater (with or without shows), and "perfect" city-wide theater coverage (required for Culture 100).
posted 04-16-11 14:11 ET (US)     7 / 14  
Brugle

The city I was writing about is not mine, so this isn´t a problem for me. Btw the grand villas have points for perfect citywide theatre coverage and amphitheatre/colloseum coverage provided by destination walker spawned by single gladiator school.
I´m asking only whether my game works as it should. The city is bound to be eternal, and I had a devolution within 2 months, lack of entertainment being the problem.
posted 04-16-11 16:58 ET (US)     8 / 14  
Prefect Marty, I've looked in the downloads and I can't find an Eternal Lugdunum, only Whisperwind's Timeless Lugdunum here:
http://caesar3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=811
Is this the download you're referring to?
If it is (or if you can point me to it) I can have a look at it to see if it devolves in the way you describe.

Cheers !!
posted 04-16-11 17:04 ET (US)     9 / 14  
Yes Granite Q, you´re right, I´ve just typed in wrong name of the file. That´s the correct one.
posted 04-17-11 07:26 ET (US)     10 / 14  
In Whisperwind 777´s Eternal Lugdunum, which I have downloaded recently, is the farming island and main land, where the natives are, disconnected by using gardens.
Yes, it is.
..entertainers from gladiator school in villa compound stopped emerging, when I loaded that save.
Agreed, I never saw an entertainer emerge from the gladiator school at all.
.... I had a devolution within 2 months, lack of entertainment being the problem.
I had devolution of the villa block in about 4 or 5 months, then the adjacent grand insulae block about a month later.

It seems, therefore, that your download is not corrupted.

Cheers !!
posted 04-18-11 11:20 ET (US)     11 / 14  
I´m asking only whether my game works as it should. The city is bound to be eternal, and I had a devolution within 2 months, lack of entertainment being the problem.
I wouldn't worry about your game. whisperwind777 has a history of building wonderful cities but (at least sometimes) of claiming them to be "eternal" when houses devolve or buildings catch fire within a few years. A few months is rather soon for devolution even for a non-"eternal" city, but it's not surprising. Another possibility (which seems unlikely to me) is that in the "unpatched" version of C3 which whisperwind777 was using, gladiators going from their "school" to a venue will use gardens like roads (not just garden short-cuts).
posted 04-18-11 13:04 ET (US)     12 / 14  
Hi Brugle. Gladiators are going through those gardens(as if they were road), but after loading they do not emerge anymore. So the only possibility is that the unpatched version allows that. However, I tested that yesterday and the game behaved the same way.
posted 04-18-11 18:00 ET (US)     13 / 14  
Gladiators are going through those gardens(as if they were road), but after loading they do not emerge anymore. So the only possibility is that the unpatched version allows that.
I can think of several other possibilities. One is that there was a road connection between the gladiator school and its venues (either replacing the gardens or making the gardens just a short-cut) which was deleted (and perhaps replaced with gardens) shortly before the game was saved.
posted 04-21-13 19:15 ET (US)     14 / 14  
Another possibility (which seems unlikely to me) is that in the "unpatched" version of C3 which whisperwind777 was using, gladiators going from their "school" to a venue will use gardens like roads (not just garden short-cuts).
the only possibility is that the unpatched version allows that. However, I tested that yesterday and the game behaved the same way.
I tested the unpatched Caesar III (version 1.0), and it does allow entertainers from a "school" to go through a garden path to a venue on an unconnected road. The entertainers in whisperwind777's Lugdunum work fine with the unpatched game (but not with the patched game).

Running with the unpatched game, whisperwind777's Lugdunum has some devolution in 80 AD, due to temporarily running out of oil. (It also has Roman soldiers invading in that year, since it loses money and was in debt, but that can be easily prevented by raising the tax rate. It was also modified to have no landslides.)

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 04-27-2013 @ 09:04 AM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Unconnected Sections of City
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames