You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What Warehouse is Chosen by a Docker or Trade Caravan?
posted 08-11-14 13:39 ET (US)   
When leaving the dock, a docker is either carrying an import or is expecting to pick up a specific export, and chooses a warehouse (WH) based on that trade good. A trade caravan also seems to choose a WH based on a specific trade good. Therefore, in this thread, I assume that a docker or caravan wants to trade a single good.

I also assume that a building does not touch multiple unconnected roads.

All my tests were done with the patched C3. I'd guess (but could easily be wrong) that there is no difference between versions.

The "access tile" of a building is the first road or gatehouse tile encountered when starting on the tile NE of the N tile and going clockwise around the building on tiles that are adjacent to a side (not a corner) of the building. The "access distance" is the shortest distance from the entry point to the access tile, going only through passable tiles and only moving NE, SE, SW, or NW. (These were defined by Trium in Cartpushers, traders, etc. - which building is nearest?, although he did not use the term "access distance".)

The "crow-flies-distance" to a WH is the shortest distance from some point to the N tile of the WH, going over any tiles in any direction (NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW, or N).

A "bay" is a 1-tile section of a WH, excluding the N tile, which will either be empty or hold a single good. A completely filled bay will hold 4 of a good.

A "selection value" is calculated for each WH which might trade the good. With one exception, a docker or caravan goes to the WH with the lowest selection value. If multiple WHs have the same lowest selection value, the docker or caravan goes to the first one in the building list (which will often, but not always, be the first one that was built). The exception is that sometimes a caravan which intends to sell imports goes to a different WH.

When the trade center warehouse is deleted, the trade center is considered to be at the northern corner of the map. If another building is built and occupies the position in the building list of the previous trade center warehouse northern tile, that building is considered to be the trade center. The player may, of course, choose another warehouse to be the trade center.

A docker or caravan going to a WH will go the the N tile of the WH if there is a road to the NE or NW of the N tile. Otherwise, it will go the the first road tile encountered when starting on the tile NE of the N tile and going clockwise around the building on tiles that are adjacent to a side (not a corner) of the building, which will be the access tile if the access tile is a road.

Dockers and caravans are described in my next two replies.
Replies:
posted 08-11-14 13:44 ET (US)     1 / 8  
Dockers

A docker delivering an import will always start at the dock. (If the import is not delivered at the chosen WH, the docker will return to the dock.) WHs which might trade an import are those which are connected to the dock and have room for the import.

For a docker delivering an import, the selection value for a WH is (the absolute value of the difference between the access distances of the dock and the WH) plus (the crow-flies-distance from the N tile of the trade center) minus (8 times the number of empty bays) minus (4 times the number of bays that are partially filled with the import).

A docker collecting an export may start at the dock or at a WH if it earlier delivered an import or tried but failed to pick up an export. (When choosing where to pick up an export, a docker at a WH does not have a particular preference for that WH.) WHs which might trade an export are those which are connected to the dock and have some of the export.

For a docker collecting an export, the selection value for a WH is (the absolute value of the difference between the access distances of the dock and the WH) plus (the crow-flies-distance from the N tile of the trade center) minus (the number of bays containing the export). Note that a docker at a WH who is choosing another WH where he will collect an export does not have any preference for nearby WHs, the only time this is true for caravans or dockers in C3 or Pharaoh.
posted 08-11-14 13:49 ET (US)     2 / 8  
Trade Caravans

For a caravan, WHs which might trade an import are those which have room for the import and (usually) have an empty bay. In many of my tests an empty bay was required, but in some tests an empty bay was not required--I don't have an explanation for this.

For a caravan at the entry point that wants to deliver an import, the selection value for a WH is (the access distance) plus (the crow-flies-distance from the N tile of the trade center) minus (16 times the number of empty bays).

For a caravan, WHs which might trade an export are those that have the export.

For a caravan at the entry point that wants to pick up an export, the selection value for a WH is (the access distance) plus (the crow-flies-distance from the N tile of the trade center) minus (4 times the number of bays containing the export).

A caravan at a WH will sell and/or buy any goods that it can. When a caravan is finished trading at a WH, if it could trade more then it will go to another WH. For such a caravan, the selection value for either importing or exporting is the same as for a caravan at the entry point except that (the access distance) plus (the crow-flies-distance from the N tile of the trade center) is replaced by (the crow-flies-distance from the caravan). For these caravans, the trade center is irrelevant.

However, sometimes a caravan who intends to sell an import does not go to the WH with the lowest selection value. I have saved games where a land trade city sends 3 caravans (who intend to sell the same import), each of which goes to a different WH even though the goods in the various warehouses have not changed. I don't have an explanation for this. (In all of my tests, a caravan who intends to buy an export or a docker always went to the WH with the lowest selection value.)
posted 08-11-14 13:55 ET (US)     3 / 8  
How is this Useful?

There are various trade problems. For example, when an export is used by houses, a caravan may buy all of the export from a WH used by markets instead of going to a different warehouse that has more of the export. For another example, although dockers may be be prevented from going far by not connecting the dock to distant WHs, some players like to connect all roads, and that might let dockers go a long distance. Now we know more about designing a city to avoid those problems.

Unfortunately, a caravan that intends to sell an import may not go to the predicted WH. Therefore, as far as I know, the only way to make sure that caravans sell an import at a particular WH is to have no other WH that could accept that import. However, since a caravan that intends to sell an import is likely to go the the predicted WH, it may be possible to design a city that will work properly if a caravan that intends to sell an import usually (but not always) goes to the predicted WH.
posted 02-03-20 14:08 ET (US)     4 / 8  
A caravan at a WH will sell and/or buy any goods that it can. When a caravan is finished trading at a WH, if it could trade more then it will go to another WH. For such a caravan, the selection value for either importing or exporting is the same as for a caravan at the entry point except that (the access distance) plus (the crow-flies-distance from the N tile of the trade center) is replaced by (the crow-flies-distance from the caravan). For these caravans, the trade center is irrelevant.
This was really helpful for me at Lugdunum, particularly the bolded. In order to have very stable housing (at least for me), I found that building housing on the long and straight eastern part of the farmland was critical.

This created a problem because the warehouse serving this district was very close to the entry point, even if the actual trip for the camels was about as far as it could get. Thus the caravans would occasionally take extremely long trips and deposit lots of oil at the getting WH on the farmland. The main accepting trade center for oil was in the native population area, roughly in the middle. Also it was a "getting" WH and none of the other WH's could access it, leading to some unfortunate devolution.

I noticed that doing two things really helped to make the import caravan very consistent (I've never seen it go elsewhere but not sure if it's 100%).

1. No exporting at all of excess goods (specifically from the city that you want to import from). Once they stop to export, they forget the trade center and it seems to have little preference.

2. Only keep a single import in the accepting WH, in this case oil. Since the getting WH's all pull at least 3 goods for Large Insulae or better, they will always have less empty bays. Also, if the trade center WH has something like 8 or 12 Oil, and the caravans get diverted 1 time or so I doubt it would be problematic.

These two seemed to be enough to keep the center WH continually getting caravan preference and stable housing.

Anyways, I thought this practical application would be helpful for people who want to clear Lugdunum without unsustainable shenanigans and also thank you vm Brugle for posting this info!

[This message has been edited by FrankC3 (edited 02-03-2020 @ 02:11 PM).]

posted 02-05-20 10:46 ET (US)     5 / 8  
FrankC3 - a bit offtopic - but in Lugdunum very important warehouse is near native chief hut - where you could accept only weapons and marble. That way you can sell around 50 pieces per year of this expensive goods to native chief.
Then you can use the caravans for important tasks (import of olives) and don't bother them by low-profit tasks.
posted 02-05-20 13:37 ET (US)     6 / 8  
a bit offtopic
More than a bit. FrankC3's post did refer to "What Warehouse is Chosen by a Docker or Trade Caravan". Your post did not (but did refer to FrankC3's post).
where you could accept only weapons and marble
FrankC3 wanted to avoid any exports (marble or pottery) to Massilia caravans. Since marble is not exported, there is no reason to accept it next to the native meeting hut.
import of olives
Lugdunum does not import olives--it imports oil. If Lugdunum imported 25 olives/year, it would not have the problem that FrankC3 mentioned.
posted 02-05-20 14:18 ET (US)     7 / 8  
You are right. To the natives should be sold only weapons. Oil imported from Masilia and marble used only locally for temples and oracles. Export of marble to Masilia was the disturbing factor which prevented him to reach full 15 jars of oil per year.
posted 02-05-20 14:44 ET (US)     8 / 8  
full 15 jars of oil per year
I expect it was after the trade increase, so full would be 25 oil per year.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » What Warehouse is Chosen by a Docker or Trade Caravan?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames