Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Brugle's Palace Peaks
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 10-30-16 11:35 ET (US)   
Brugle's PalacePeaks completed city (in download section)

This city is unbelivable and some things used here I have never seen before and wasn't aware about it. Some things also I don't understand.

There are only oracles. If there is none access to specific good. Oracle in such a case works as access to all five gods? Is there some distance rule from oracle? Specific temple musn't be in whole city?

Gatehouse is as 2x2 road crossing and it doesn't matter from which side is the road connected to it?

There is unbelivable food distribution. Some markets are connected via central squares of granaries to road network with a lot of hungry tents, but market ladies ignore this direction and travel rather via gardens to more distant part of city. I don't understand the mechanism here.

Goods distribution is made to very long distance from market but apperantly it is good enough. The market-lady trader has some tile travel limit till she dissapears? What exactly?

There are a lot of triumph archs. Is it normal to reach more as one triumph arch in a city?

There is sea-trade route importing wine, but there is any access point for ships. Let imagine classic city with trade route importing wine, ships comming to docks but none warhouse in dock's road network accepting wine. Will be the condition for "2 types of wine" satisfied this way?

Two off-topic questions.
If 2 small houses merges to one big house, food/goods stored in this houses adds together?
If villa runs of food and devolves to tent, it lost all pottery, furniture, oil stock? Or is there some memory for every house and if it again reaches villa status the goods would be there?

I will be grateful for explanation.

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 10-30-2016 @ 11:50 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-30-16 16:01 ET (US)     1 / 35  
You may want to read Century of Palaces Club, about cities with at least 100 large or luxury palaces. After building a city with 256 luxury palaces, I began designing Palace Peaks in reply #167.
There are only oracles. If there is none access to specific good.
Oracles keep the gods happy. They do not give houses religious coverage.

There is a bug in C3: medium palaces, large palaces, and luxury palaces do not need religious coverage. So I built temples in Palace Peaks (I think where the theaters, amphitheaters, and tax collectors are now) until a section of houses evolved to medium palaces, then the temples were removed. If there hadn't been that bug, I would have designed it to have 12 temples, a few less oracles, and probably another triumphal arch.
Gatehouse is as 2x2 road crossing and it doesn't matter from which side is the road connected to it?
Yes, except that it blocks some walkers.
Some markets are connected via central squares of granaries to road network with a lot of hungry tents, but market ladies ignore this direction and travel rather via gardens to more distant part of city. I don't understand the mechanism here.
There is a technique called "long walkers" or "forced walkers". Except for school children, walkers may wander around for a while and then return to their building. Depending on the road network, most walkers (but not prefects, architects, or tax collectors) may return to their building on a different road tile than they began their walk. (For details, see my C3 random walker start and finish points.) The walker will follow the shortest path (including gardens and gatehouses) back to the finishing tile, even if it is hundreds of tiles long.

If the walker emerges onto a single road tile, it cannot wander around, so it immediately returns to its building. The gatehouses in Palace Peaks gave the market traders only a single road tile, so they immediately return to the market (going a long way), but allow market buyers to go get stuff.

There is another technique that allows engineers, tax collectors, and entertainers to go a long way, but it is more complicated so I won't discuss it here.

By the way, long walkers can be useful in an extreme situation such as Palace Peaks, but not much in normal play. They are more helpful in Pharaoh (where some buildings consume goods each time its walker walks), but I've only used long walkers in a few Pharaoh cities.
Goods distribution is made to very long distance from market but apperantly it is good enough.
The traders from a group of markets take essentially the same time to make their walks. Therefore, they stay the same distance apart, so houses are passed by market traders regularly.

The maximum distance a goods market buyer travels is 2 tiles each way, so she restores the market with goods quickly.

The amount of goods in each goods market are set so the market does not run out of a good because it was getting another good. (This primarily concerns wine, which is consumed at twice the rate of the other goods.)
There are a lot of triumph archs. Is it normal to reach more as one triumph arch in a city?
A few career missions can give you multiple triumphal arches. You can design a mission to give the player up to 20 triumphal arches (if distant battles are won). I designed Palace Peaks to give me more triumphal arches than I wanted.
Let imagine classic city with trade route importing wine, ships comming to docks but none warhouse in dock's road network accepting wine. Will be the condition for "2 types of wine" satisfied this way?
Yes. Two types of wine are considered to exist if wine is set to Importing and either a wine workshop exists or two cities sell wine.
If 2 small houses merges to one big house, food/goods stored in this houses adds together?
Yes. Residents also are added together.
If villa runs of food and devolves to tent, it lost all pottery, furniture, oil stock?
No. Note: if a house shrinks in size when it devolves (large palace to medium palace, large villa to medium villa, large insula to 1x1 medium insula), it creates (7, 5, or 3) additional 1x1 medium insulae. The food, goods, and residents are divided between the resulting houses. Depending on what was in the original house, the additional medium insulae may not have of some of those things.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 10-30-2016 @ 04:05 PM).]

posted 10-31-16 01:26 ET (US)     2 / 35  
Thank you for explanation.

Let's say I don't want use "forced walkers" in my games. Such calculations would destroy my joy of game. But I understand you wanted bring the game to the edge of possible and there was wise use this option. I have read some topic where you discussed with CaesarAlan that in normal case market-trader will distribute food/goods 26 tiles away from market and then switch to return mode. But you made doubts about stability of 52 tiles loop. What tile-length of loop separated by gatehouse do you prefer?

EDIT: I have found. You recommend <44 tiles loop in another thread.

Let imagine 1x1 fully supplied medium insulae by pottery/furniture, but not by food. It would devolve to large tent. The pottery/furniture stored inside would be lost?

What is the top housing level reachable in case there is not hippodrome in city, but everything else is avaliable there?

If you want bunch of workforce on beginning of level to manage export-trade and positive cash. Do you use large-tents near city entry point for such a purpose (and later delete this part of city)? Or do you aim directly for Large_Insulaes evolved from 1x1 house? If there is not oil avaliable some first years in the city, would you found houses in 2x2 format and reach small casas or small/medium insulaes?

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 10-31-2016 @ 09:09 AM).]

posted 10-31-16 12:08 ET (US)     3 / 35  
I have read some topic where you discussed with CaesarAlan that in normal case market-trader will distribute food/goods 26 tiles away from market and then switch to return mode.
A market trader (that has more than 1 tile to wander on) will always walk at least 26 tiles before returning to her market. Depending on the road network, she may walk farther before returning to her market.
What tile-length of loop separated by gatehouse do you prefer?
Back before I knew how to calculate random walker paths (up to an intersection), I might use at most a 46-tile loop to make a 2x2 building's walker usually go around the loop on every walk, or at most a 44-tile loop to make a 3x3 building's walker usually go around the loop on every walk. This does not apply to a building on the inside of the west corner of the loop. I said "usually" because sometimes a walker will turn around at a corner. (In No Trade Valentia, which has 46-tile loops, one market trader reverses at a corner in 1 walk, but there are 3 markets in each block.)

However, sometimes I wanted to use a larger loop. (Happy Massilia has 50-tile loops, some of which have "kinks".) With the entire road network in place, I would test the walkers from various locations and choose places for markets where she would go around the loop on every walk (and places for other buildings where its walker would go around the loop on at least 1 walk). Note: I typically used a librarian when testing for a market trader, since he followed the same walks as a trader from a market that has food or goods.

Nowadays, I choose a reasonable loop size, calculate what walkers will do, and choose locations for buildings appropriately. (That's what I did in Happy Tarsus, which has 46-tile and 48-tile loops, some of which have "kinks".)
Let imagine 1x1 fully supplied medium insulae by pottery/furniture, but not by food. It would devolve to large tent. The pottery/furniture stored inside would be lost?
No.
What is the top housing level reachable in case there is not hippodrome in city, but everything else is avaliable there?
Medium palace.
If you want bunch of workforce on beginning of level to manage export-trade and positive cash. Do you use large-tents near city entry point for such a purpose (and later delete this part of city)?
No. I tend to avoid deletes, especially of houses. (I might have done this in a contest, but I don't remember doing it.)
Or do you aim directly for Large_Insulaes evolved from 1x1 house?
No.

I usually start with small tents, soon evolved to large tents. Some houses that provide labor access to the first export industry are started first. If there is another planned housing block that is considerably closer to the entry point, the rest of the initial houses are there. If I am trying to raise Prosperity quickly (or want to start taxing early), most houses are evolved to at least hovels by the end of the 2nd year.

If I am making a city without trade, and if grand insulae are possible, I try to quickly evolve houses to grand insulae from 3 or 4 1x1 houses. If grand insulae are not possible, I try to quickly evolve houses to small insulae.
If there is not oil avaliable some first years in the city, would you found houses in 2x2 format and reach small casas or small/medium insulaes?
Assuming that I expected to eventually evolve the houses to large insulae, I would found houses in places where they would eventually evolve to large insulae in the correct positions. (For example, an isolated 2x2 square of houses would form a large insula in that location whether or not it first merged into a 2x2 house.)

The level the houses evolve to would depend on several things. Once I begin taxation, most houses would be at least hovels, eventually small insulae if pottery can be locally produced.
posted 10-31-16 13:54 ET (US)     4 / 35  
I have never been in Valencia or Tarsus level. I remember I finished Carthago and played another game in my twenties. I will see what problems are there and then I will better understand your Valencia and Tarsus.

In Happy_Tarsus you have a lot of theaters and only one Amphiteater and Colosseum. You just don't likes this structures and gladiator schools/lion houses ... or does it have some economical reason?

In Happy Tarsus your wheat supply is protected from distribution to lower level houses just by distance of markets?

You wrote in readme that caravans spend there in Tarsus minimum amount of time. Usually there is some problem to handle caravans? They choose random warehouse or they tend to ignore warehouse prepared and accepting their goods?

I am now in Lugundum. That is why I was considering the tent village near entry point in first 1-2 years of game. Just to have workforce to production and trade with natives. It takes few months in Lugundum for imigrants to arrive to central farmland.
posted 10-31-16 17:04 ET (US)     5 / 35  
In Happy_Tarsus you have a lot of theaters and only one Amphiteater and Colosseum. You just don't likes this structures and gladiator schools/lion houses ... or does it have some economical reason?
Theaters contribute to Culture. Amphitheaters and colosseums do not.
In Happy Tarsus your wheat supply is protected from distribution to lower level houses just by distance of markets?
Yes.
You wrote in readme that caravans spend there in Tarsus minimum amount of time. Usually there is some problem to handle caravans?
Happy Tarsus buys a lot from caravans, so they need to move through the city fairly quickly.
It takes few months in Lugundum for imigrants to arrive to central farmland.
Don't send the initial immigrants to the central farmland. At most, send them to the farming island.

One way to build Lugdunum is to have a modest settlement (I often put some villas there) in the large eastern valley, with export industries, and fed by farms on the farming island. You can sell goods to the natives later.
posted 11-01-16 06:13 ET (US)     6 / 35  
I would like to know more about native trade. You have found the chief would make 19.2 trips per year (3 cartloads per trip) if warehouse with export goods is in vicinity. If I will have fully supplied warehouse of weapons shorter distance to his hut and fully supplied warehouse of marble a bit longer distance, he will always buy weapons (57 pieces of weapons per year)?? Both weapons and marble will be set as exports.

Cartpushers speed is 48 tiles per month?

I have quite complex plan now for Lugundum. All 3 islands will one big separated road network. Food will be from 5 wheat and 4 pigs farm from eastern island. There will be 2 granaries on western island and few villas. Villas island will be connected to valley in direction to empire-road. There will be pottery, furniture, oil, wine industry for villas-consumption and export industry/warehouses for caravans (weapons, marble).

EDIT: I made mistake in this paragraph: east <-> west

Near the exit-point from city there will be reservoir and 3 clay pits for caravans pottery export. There will be 2 insuales near empire road fed by imported fruit. They will provide workforce access for industry near empire road and on in valley in direction to villas. This road network will be separated.

Segment near native village will be also disconnected. 3 mines and 6 weapons workshops just for native trade and pottery-industry for consumption. Later maybe furniture if imported-wood warehouse near villas would be full. Granary will be near entry point to farming island. Workforce for farms will be provided by large-tent on farming plateau if farm's distance to workforce near granary will be too long.

There will be huge insualle settlement on the most distant place of farming plateau. Fountains will be supplied from reservoir in the middle of empire road (and acquaduct to exit point from city)

In the first 1-2 years I might use large-tent city near the entry point only to have workforce for weapon industry near native village.
In the first month of the game I will set 2x2 house with the well and small plaza in each segment of map where I intent to build some village during game. It will make everything in future much faster.

I will use aqueduct enclosure for wolves in the begining of game. Later kill them by tower with large tent or using javelins-legion.

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 11-01-2016 @ 08:49 AM).]

posted 11-01-16 08:26 ET (US)     7 / 35  
native trade. You have found the chief would make 19.2 trips per year (3 cartloads per trip) if warehouse with export goods is in vicinity. If I will have fully supplied warehouse of weapons shorter distance to his hut and fully supplied warehouse of marble a bit longer distance, he will always buy weapons (57 pieces of weapons per year)??
I don't know if a native trader will always go to the closer warehouse. Perhaps he uses a more complicated algorithm, like as a docker or trade caravan.

A native trader will buy 57.6 of a good only if he travels 0 (or probably 1) tile to the warehouse.
Cartpushers speed is 48 tiles per month?
No. Cartpusher speed in C3 is 53.33333 tiles per month.
Lugundum ... Food will be from 5 wheat and 4 pigs farm from eastern island.
The farming island is along the SW edge, northwest of the other islands.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 11-01-2016 @ 08:27 AM).]

posted 11-01-16 08:37 ET (US)     8 / 35  
You are right, farming island is SW and it will be disconected from native village. It will be connected only to southern island and SE island. Granaries and villas will be on SE island. The valley between SE island and empire-road will be only for industry and warehouses. It will be separated by gatehouse. Emprire-road will be fully disconnected and used only eastern part. There will be only pottery export industry and fruit import.

About native trade I was interested only if I need to give him variety of export goods, or if weapons only would be enough for him for every trip. If he will not start to search marble in some very distant warehouse and wasting trading-time.

Cartpusher speed 53.33 + some time for unload. I guess 24 tiles granary-farm distance is limit for reliable 100% productivity.

If some goods is in only one accepting warehouse on map and there is some very distant another warehouse getting this goods. Is there some distance limit? Or getting warehouse's cartpusher will travel across whole map to get the goods?

After reading your hints about caravans. For pottery export in Lugdunum I must export it from TradeCenter (near the exit point from city) or avoid pottery export. Otherwise the caravans will travel to the farming plateau and taking my consumption-pottery. I quess avoid pottery-export will be clever and I will use Trade-center for weapons export. Otherwise caravans will travel to native village for my native-trade weapons. I will have plenty of money from marble and weapons caravan trade + selling weapons to natives. Pottery export is not worth of troubles in this city. In case of landslide I need make caravans-trade as fast as possible. I want caravans only near empire-road.

The distance "as the crow flies" (e.g. 39 tiles from market) is counted also in diagonal direction? E.g. NORTH, WEST. Or always it is counted only NW,NE,SW,SE direction (such a square)?

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 11-01-2016 @ 02:18 PM).]

posted 11-01-16 16:34 ET (US)     9 / 35  
About native trade I was interested only if I need to give him variety of export goods,
A native trader is happy to always buy the same good.
I guess 24 tiles granary-farm distance is limit for reliable 100% productivity.
Not a good guess. For a farm that is not a non-northern wheat farm, the maximum full efficiency round-trip distance from where the cart pusher appears to the center of the granary and back is 66 tiles. Destination walkers cut corners.
Is there some distance limit?
No walker will compute a route over 499 tiles.
For pottery export in Lugdunum I must export it from TradeCenter (near the exit point from city) or avoid pottery export. Otherwise the caravans will travel to the farming plateau and taking my consumption-pottery.
If you import oil, caravans might go to the oil import warehouse first, and then go to a pottery warehouse. Therefore, the oil import warehouse should be near the pottery export warehouse.
I quess avoid pottery-export will be clever
It is often easier to not export a good used by houses if you can export something else that's expensive. I have built both Lugdunum and Tarsus several times, and if I remember correctly, only 1 Lugdunum exported pottery and only 1 Tarsus exported furniture (although I may have sold a little pottery or furniture early in several of them).
The distance "as the crow flies" (e.g. 39 tiles from market) is counted also in diagonal direction?
Yes.
posted 11-02-16 00:43 ET (US)     10 / 35  
If the bearable distance farm-granary 33 tiles, it will improve my food distribution options a bit. I guess I will move my villa sector to the eastern valley. And my accepting granaries will be on SE island.

100% productivity farm-granary distance of suthern/middle farms is only up to 16 tiles?

I played few hours my old Lugdunum save and I see the pottery export is really bad idea. It wastes caravan time and they don't take enough weapons/marble and don't make enough import.
One way to build Lugdunum is to have a modest settlement (I often put some villas there) in the large eastern valley, with export industries, and fed by farms on the farming island. You can sell goods to the natives later.
Now I see you have already said it.

I have trouble to manage entertaiment coverage. I must study some topic on forum about entertaiment calculation and study your Tarsus with a lot of theaters. I wonder how have you done such excellent coverage just by one gladiator school and one lion-trainer.

I have read thread about your Lugdunum cliff-dwellings. But I will rather use the acquaduct along north side of empire road and reservoir next to farming platau. It supplies pipes to large area of farming platau.

If you delete forum, them money stored inside are lost?

Will the lion attack wolf? The cheapest non-chating way how to deal with wolves in Lugdunum is to build barracks and cavalry fort? (1150 Dn)

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 11-02-2016 @ 01:43 AM).]

posted 11-02-16 01:39 ET (US)     11 / 35  
100% productivity farm-granary distance of suthern/middle farms is only up to 16 tiles?
Wheat farms are the only farms that produce at a higher rate in central and southern climates.

For a central or southern wheat farm, the maximum full efficiency round-trip distance from where the cart pusher appears to the center of the granary and back is 32 tiles. I give the round-trip distance because a cart pusher may travel different routes (with different distances) going out and back.
I must study some topic on forum about entertaiment calculation
Reply #10 in this Entertainment thread is pretty good.
posted 11-02-16 03:41 ET (US)     12 / 35  
Now I understand entertaiment coverage calculation. But still need to study your Happy_Tarsus with only one amphiteater, colliseum, gladiator school and lion-tamer. I guess the secret is in very effecient road network and long distance from entertaiment-school to venue.

100% productivity distance from workshop (or marble mine) to warehouse is 66 tiles? Example was your oil-workshops in Happy_Miletus.

I have found in downloads your LugdunumToFarmIslandOnly and Lugdunum_CliffDwellers. Interesting concepts and solutions. Now I am sure I will make this level somehow on hard difficulty using trade and farming plateau I have seen one CliffDweller also in your NotTradeValentia - just to provide workforce in a pretty house. I think the developers should make cliffs 2 tiles thick in every part of plateau. It could be managed by editing some rocks on the maps.

Can hypodromme, wages >32 ... manage rise of prosperity above average prosperity of all houses in city? (I have the Housing level table)

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 11-02-2016 @ 07:39 AM).]

posted 11-02-16 09:29 ET (US)     13 / 35  
100% productivity distance from workshop (or marble mine) to warehouse is 66 tiles?
Yes.
Example was your oil-workshops in Happy_Miletus.
I think the farthest one-way distance an oil workshop cart pusher travels in Happy Miletus is 62 tiles.
Can hypodromme, wages >32 ... manage rise of prosperity above average prosperity of all houses in city?
No.
posted 11-03-16 01:11 ET (US)     14 / 35  
Is there some rule or some table how often building produces randomwalker? And some table about decay-time of provided service?

For a labour-seeker is it enough to diagonally touch corner of a 2x2 house to get access to labour?

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 11-03-2016 @ 02:32 AM).]

posted 11-03-16 09:05 ET (US)     15 / 35  
Is there some rule or some table how often building produces randomwalker?
Not that I know of. Most walkers wait in their buildings for several days before appearing again, and it varies somewhat depending on the walker. A few walkers, including prefects, engineers, and tax collectors, wait only a couple of days.

Citizens are more complicated.
And some table about decay-time of provided service?
Most services (that aren't protection) last for about 6 months. Tax registration lasts for about 3 months.

Protection from damage lasts for longer, perhaps something like 11 months. Some buildings don't need damage protection.

There is a lot of randomness in fire protection, and it varies depending on the climate and building. Some buildings don't need fire protection.

Labor access is more complicated.
For a labour-seeker is it enough to diagonally touch corner of a 2x2 house to get access to labour?
It is enough to get labor access, but it won't be as good as when the citizen spends more time near house tiles, so in marginal cases it might allow labor access to be lost. For details, see the Pharaoh thread Labor access (citizens) explained.
posted 11-03-16 10:58 ET (US)     16 / 35  
Thank you. Now I understand labour access enough for my level of playing. It is smart that industry sends citizen to check labour access time-to-time again. It would be boring to manage labour access on the begining of level for few minutes, then delete tents and everything would work OK for the rest of game.

I was thinking about patrician blocks. Advantages/disadvantages of road networks.

A) There is usually closed loop 30-50 tiles long separated by gatehouse (or 2-3 of them). Advantage: every building providing random-walkers to this loop works effective. But destination entertaiment walkers can use only half of this loop; or both halves if there is only one entry gatehouse - but often miss the loop and walk in farming/industry area.

B) One long road (sometimes with curve radius >4 tiles). If I put there library, 50 tiles in both directions should be there again library. There could be 3 parallel separated roads. Sections of houses placed on both sides of central road. Services and industries along parallel roads.
Advantage: destination entertaiment walkers would be very effective there.
Disadvantage: long sections of map would be separated.

C) "X" shape crossroad, expensive structures providing random-walkers placed in the middle. Houses and cheap services placed along all four <20 tiles long branches of this network.
Disadvantage: Time-to-time branch can lost some important service (because of randomwalk). That is why I was interested in service decay time. Also destination walkers can cover only some branches and avoid some branches for a long time.
Advantage - rectangular place on map.

Is there some other interesting (effecient) road network?

In your cities I have seen "B type = long road" only in farms/industries. Why didn't you use it for villas/palaces?
If the farming area would be in the middle and this 3 parallel roads would form one big circle around it, it would work. Goods distribution is less problematic as food distribution.

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 11-03-2016 @ 11:44 AM).]

posted 11-03-16 13:37 ET (US)     17 / 35  
Advantage: every building providing random-walkers to this loop works effective. But destination entertaiment walkers ...
Much of the time, destination entertainment walkers are not needed. In many of my cities, all entertainment is provided by random entertainment walkers (and perhaps some city-wide coverage).
destination entertaiment walkers ... often miss the loop and walk in farming/industry area
A destination walker has a destination and will walk to it. The only way that an entertainer generated by an entertainment "school" will walk in a farming or industrial area is if the route to its venue goes through that area.
One long road ... Disadvantage: long sections of map would be separated
Why?
In your cities I have seen "B type = long road" only in farms/industries. Why didn't you use it for villas/palaces?
A typical city has only a modest number of villas or palaces. A loop block is simple and easy.

I have sometimes used a "long road" design. Look at the colosseum coverage in Palace Peaks.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 11-03-2016 @ 01:38 PM).]

posted 11-03-16 15:46 ET (US)     18 / 35  
Yes, palace segment of city in your Palace_Peaks is perfect example what I was talking about snake-shape "long-road". Your curves are 8 tiles, because every palace takes 4x4 squares. I am on Insuale-level, usually I work with 2x2 and 3x3 buildings. Curves 5 tiles width would be enough in my "long-snaky-road" city.

I like your Colosseum coverage in Palace_Peaks very much. Really good example how determined and endure the lion-tamers are.
The gladiator school just near Colosseum is there only for two-shows-bonus? Nice idea for my Amphiteaters.
I don't see there random-walker gladiator from Colosseum. Or chariot from Hippodrome. This structures don't provide random-walkers and you need to supply staff from "schools"?

Your forced market-traders are always mystery for me. Why they care there is only one tile between market and gatehouse? There is only garden to Palaces. Why they don't provide food rather to the tents behind gatehouse when they have ability to travel cross-country?? I made experiments there (added road tiles) but they cuts corners and skip to unconnected road (diagonally connected) and travels to tents. But there is such strange desirability in tent-village they don't evolve or I missed point.
One long road ... Disadvantage: long sections of map would be separated
Imagine caravans, ships comming from one corner of map and farmland also in the same corner. In 3 paralell long-roads setup there would be problem to get goods-food to 2nd and 3th road. In loop-design you can easily encircle it and transport food around that segment. In 3 food cities where 2 foods are spare it would be necessary. Remind your Happy_Miletus.

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 11-03-2016 @ 03:48 PM).]

posted 11-03-16 21:00 ET (US)     19 / 35  
The gladiator school just near Colosseum is there only for two-shows-bonus?
Yes.
I don't see there random-walker gladiator from Colosseum.
The colosseums do not touch a road, so they don't generate walkers.
Or chariot from Hippodrome.
A hippodrome can generate multiple chariots, at roughly one-month intervals. (In this respect, it is unique.) When loaded, Palace Peaks has 4 chariots, all from the hippodrome.
This structures don't provide random-walkers and you need to supply staff from "schools"?
The only entertainment "schools" in Palace Peaks are the 2 lion pits and the 2 gladiator schools.
Your forced market-traders are always mystery for me.
Then ignore them. As I said, long walkers are a special technique that isn't much help in normal play.
Why they care there is only one tile between market and gatehouse?
As I said, if a random walker can't wander around, it returns to its building.
There is only garden to Palaces. Why they don't provide food rather to the tents behind gatehouse when they have ability to travel cross-country??
As I said, because they aren't wandering around. For food markets, the route back to the market does not go by tents.
posted 11-04-16 00:20 ET (US)     20 / 35  
You are right. I deleted charioter just near hippodrome, but hippodrome continued produce chariots and they provided entertaiment to palacaes. In contraty there was message there are not current shows in hippodrome. Now I am confused and I don't understand what is the point of the charioter.

In help message there is written: entertainer from "school" should travel to venue, provide show for set amout of time and then return back to school.

I realised the education facilities, healthcare, forums needs only labour access. They can by in short separated road segments/loops, providing their services just by parallel touching of nearest house sector. The random-walkers from this buildings will not walk to other parts of city and there is no need for expensive gatehouse.
The destination walkers in connected part of roadnetwork have their own goal so they will not wander around and also don't need gatehouses. Only the market-seller must be on main road, but if there is only few of misleading branches it would not be so bad.

If colloseum would be connected to some small road-loop (and produce random-walker there). And if there would be separate road touching the colloseum and there would be lion-tamer. Would the lions go to the colloseum or that colloseum would not exist for them? (Because of separated road network)

In Lugdunum the caravans importing timber didn't unload timber till I have built first furniture workshop. Is there some rule?

If there is "poor access to labor" message, the building is working on slower rate also if it has full number of employees? Or the production speed is calculated just from number of employees, but there is risk to lose this employees time-to-time (and in workers shortages if labour advisor decides about workers distribution).

O have 4x2 tiles housing block. It evolved to large-insuale in the middle and four middle-insuales on sides of this block. How can I change it to two large-insuales?

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 11-04-2016 @ 05:01 AM).]

posted 11-04-16 08:36 ET (US)     21 / 35  
I deleted charioter just near hippodrome, but hippodrome continued produce chariots and they provided entertaiment to palacaes. In contraty there was message there are not current shows in hippodrome.
Any entertainment venue will produce entertainers even if it doesn't have shows.
I don't understand what is the point of the charioter
It makes chariots which go to the hippodrome, providing the hippodrome with shows. The chariot maker is like the other entertainment "schools".
In help message there is written: entertainer from "school" should travel to venue, provide show for set amout of time and then return back to school.
That is wrong.
If colloseum would be connected to some small road-loop (and produce random-walker there). And if there would be separate road touching the colloseum and there would be lion-tamer. Would the lions go to the colloseum
No.
In Lugdunum the caravans importing timber didn't unload timber till I have built first furniture workshop.
Wrong. They should sell you 2 timber without a furniture workshop.
Is there some rule?
A good won't be sold to you if your warehouses have a certain amount. For marble or weapons, the maximum is 10. For a raw material, the maximum is 2 plus twice the number of workshops. For a good used by houses, the maximum is 10 if there are less than 2000 people, 20 if there are 2000 to 4000 people, 30 if there are 4000 to 6000 people, and 40 if there are more than 6000 people.

When importing through a dock, you may get 1 or 2 more.
Or the production speed is calculated just from number of employees, but there is risk to lose this employees
Yes.
O have 4x2 tiles housing block. It evolved to large-insuale in the middle and four middle-insuales on sides of this block. How can I change it to two large-insuales?
Delete the large insula, so a medium insula on each side will evolve. Note: this should be done only if the 2 large insulae will be stable. If they devolve to medium insulae and later evolve back, you may end up with your original arrangement.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 11-04-2016 @ 08:46 AM).]

posted 11-05-16 01:28 ET (US)     22 / 35  
You are right, they sold me 2 timbers and then I was not able to force them trade timber whatever I made. Till I bulit furniture workshop. I think I have read somewhere also disconnecting warehouse with imported goods from road network can help (small cheat and micromanagement).

Let say I would like to have part of my city on small-insuales level. (They will not have bath access). But every 2x2 square I would like to have one house instead of 4 houses. How can I manage this? Also when I provide workforce in some rural area using large tents, I would like to have rather one 2x2 tent as four 1x1 tents.

In Lugdunum I have now prosperity above 50 but problem to reach culture rating. I built hippodrome and that was mistake. Also my road-network has a lot of crossroads. I will restart it and rebuilt somehow smarter. I want it stable with all export industry running in the end. Not just make some villas for one year to reach requested rating.

I also wonder how do you create 4x4 palaces. The supply distance is 2 squares from road. Do you have 2 parallel roads with 3 tiles space between them, you create 3x3 large villas and then moves one parallel road one square more distance from villas?

Next week I will be in mountains with family so my questions will be reduced . Thank you very much for patience in answers.
posted 11-05-16 05:25 ET (US)     23 / 35  
Use small statues in strategic locations to prevent uncontrolled expansions in the "wrong" directions.
Place them behind some selected single houses to prevent them expanding until you are ready, then selectively remove the statues one at a time to coalesce them as you want.

Locations of fountains help but it depends on your building style

Note that after expansion they must always remain supplied or they could revert.

It is a simple logic problem, but you waste statues and have fewer houses in your loops early on.
I rarely bother except for palace blocks where I like to keep houses single until all the infrastructure is ready to turn them into palaces. This also means the lost of labour at that point is small and easily managed.

Maybe Brugle has a better way.

[This message has been edited by Serrataur (edited 11-05-2016 @ 05:40 AM).]

posted 11-05-16 09:42 ET (US)     24 / 35  
I think I have read somewhere also disconnecting warehouse with imported goods from road network can help
If the road(s) touching a warehouse are deleted, the goods in the warehouse are no longer counted by the city. This could allow you to import more timber if you don't build furniture workshops. But why? The only use for timber (unless you get a request for it) is to make furniture.
Let say I would like to have part of my city on small-insuales level. (They will not have bath access).
Small insulae require bath access.
But every 2x2 square I would like to have one house instead of 4 houses. How can I manage this?
In some places on a given map (about 5/8 of them), a square of four 1x1 houses at the same level will merge into a 2x2 house. (In a place where merging is allowed, a square of four 1x1 small tents and vacant lots will merge if the north tile is a small tent.) In the other places (about 3/8 of them), a square of four 1x1 houses will not merge.

One way to have all 2x2 houses that are poorer than large insulae is to make houses at the same level and delete the ones that don't form into 2x2 houses. This is best done when the houses are small tents. (I used this way when building the tents in Lugdunum To Farm Island Only.)

Another way to have all 2x2 houses that are poorer than large insulae is to test where merging is allowed and then restart the map (or load a saved game) and build houses only in those places. You need to be careful. For example, let's say you want to build two side-by-side 2x2 houses where merging is allowed and merging is also allowed in the middle square. If you just put down 8 vacant lots, you may get what you want or you may get a 2x2 house in the middle. You can get what you want by building one of the desired 2x2 houses and then building the other. (I used this way when building the tents that are on meadow in Palace Peaks.)

A third way to have all 2x2 houses that are poorer than large insulae is to figure out where merging is allowed by carefully looking at the terrain of bare land, as described by Trium in Merging 2x2's, terrain graphics (and random walkers), and build houses in those places. This would be difficult in the desert. (I used this way when building the tents that are not on meadow in Palace Peaks.)

Still another way to have all 2x2 houses that are poorer than large insulae on a career mission is to look at Nero Would's Maps: Spoilers Caesar 3 to see where merging is allowed, and build houses in those places. (I haven't used this way.)
problem to reach culture rating. I built hippodrome and that was mistake.
The only buildings that contribute to Culture are religious buildings, education buildings, and theaters.
I also wonder how do you create 4x4 palaces.
Just like any other house: give it what it wants. A single vacant lot, given what it wants, will eventually expand to a 4x4 palace.
Use small statues in strategic locations to prevent uncontrolled expansions in the "wrong" directions. ... Maybe Brugle has a better way.
This is a useful method for buildings cities with large insulae or better houses. I have used it.

Nowadays, I prefer to put vacant lots in places where I know they will expand to large insulae in the "right" places, as described in the Pharaoh thread Direction of house expansion.
posted 11-05-16 13:04 ET (US)     25 / 35  
Thank you Serrataur, in creating Large Insuales and better I will use small statues. It seems comfortable way.

But about Lugdunum I was interesting in 2x2 big house of medium insuale and lower class. Brugle explained it very well. I see the programmers used random seed to determine which low-class house will evolve this way and which not. So I will take it as "bonus" when some of my houses will merge together. In other cases I will suffer 4 times higher consumption of pottery and furniture - not a big deal. I play it on hard difficulty so it should not cause me serious troubles.

It is a pitty the terrain textures are not more distinguished.

I hope I understand Brugles manual well. For houses higher as Large Insuale I need to place only one vacant lot in northern corner of intended building, make enough empty space to the south and provide all needed services and goods.

[This message has been edited by jaroslav80 (edited 11-05-2016 @ 01:58 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Brugle's Palace Peaks
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames