Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Let's Go Fishing!
posted 12-13-99 18:18 ET (US)   
Since I’m not developing any maps right now, I thought I’d do a little strategy tip for new players on food production. One of the least talked about aspects of the game is how fishing can help to feed your people in large population scenarios without using up all your workers for food production.

Anyone who has played Caesar 3 for awhile knows that central and southern wheat farms produce twice as much wheat per month as northern wheat farms, pig farms, or vegetable farms. A wheat farm in a central or southern scenario produces 19.2 carts of food a year while other farms only produce 9.6 carts per year. Each cart equals 100 food units and your population eats 0.5 food units per month per person (or 6 per year). Therefore using central/southern wheat halves the cost in workers to feed the same amount of people. In a city of 10,000 people for example, 32 wheat farms will feed all the people while 63 fruit farms would be needed. A great savings in workers.

But did you know that fishing wharves produce even more? On the average, one fishing wharf can produce almost 30 cartloads of fish per year. If they did not have to sail out to the fishing spots and then transport the food to the granary, they could produce over 40 per year. But if the sailing distance is fairly short and the granary is close to the wharf, a good working average for their production is 28.8 carts of food a year. That’s fifty percent more than a central/northern wheat farm. And a fishing wharf only requires 6 workers as compared to a wheat farm that requires 10. This 40 percent reduction in workers is quite dramatic in a large city.

Let’s look at a city of 10,000 people again. In order to feed everyone for a year you will need 60,000 units of food. If we have to feed them northern wheat/ fruit/ pigs/ or vegetables it will take 63 farms (63*9.6*100 = 60,480) with 630 workers. If we can feed them central or southern wheat it will only take 32 farms (32*19.2*100 = 61,440) and 320 workers. That’s a saving of 310 workers. But if fishing is available, it will only take 21 wharves (21*28.8*100 = 60,480) and 136 workers (6 per wharf plus 10 for the shipyard to build the ships). That is a further saving of 184 workers over central/southern wheat farms.

Could you use 184 extra workers in your city? That could supply the workers for a Hippodrome, two chariot makers, a prefect, and an engineer to top off your city’s culture. Or for those of military persuasion, an extra 36 manned towers for your walls. In any scenario that allows fishing where the fishing spots are close to the wharves, it is in your best interest to build wharves instead of farms.

So the next time you find yourself short of needed workers, my best advice is… GO FISH!

All roads lead from the winery, then to the olive farm, and finally to the bath house!!

------------------
Bob the Lethargic

Replies:
posted 12-13-99 18:43 ET (US)     1 / 14  
I am amazed at your depth of thought and consideration in this matter (and many other postings)...I think it is very helpful to know these statistics...not just for new people to the game!! thanks for the breadth of your knowldge of the game, it makes us (I bet most would agree) enjoy it a little more.
Thanks Bob!
Pnut
posted 01-19-00 12:14 ET (US)     2 / 14  
Here it is. Just bringing it up for Marcus.
posted 01-19-00 13:56 ET (US)     3 / 14  
Thanks so much Eraserhead. This really does help. I had no idea how efficient those lil' boats could be! I'll see you guys later, I am out fishin'.

Cheers,
Quaestor Marcus Lindicus

posted 01-10-01 01:44 ET (US)     4 / 14  
*bump*

[Omnium harum gentium virtute praecipui Batavi]
posted 08-21-02 07:27 ET (US)     5 / 14  
Bob can you send me the xl sheet for the building strat you wrote. my email id is dagmavj@hotmail.com. i could not download from site.
posted 08-21-02 22:24 ET (US)     6 / 14  
Hi darkstar, welcome to Caesar III Heaven.

Check the dates on this thread--it's rather old. I have't heard from Bob the Lethargic is quite a while.

posted 08-24-02 10:39 ET (US)     7 / 14  
Maybe you are a genius... How do you manage to do all this calculates? If you find something like this write it down please.
posted 08-24-02 10:43 ET (US)     8 / 14  
Does anyone still remember the fishing equation? It's been bumped up a few months ago by Catilina I think, but I lost it again.

Liolo, I guess most governors need handy information like this often.

D XUAN
posted 08-24-02 16:05 ET (US)     9 / 14  
posted 08-24-02 18:34 ET (US)     10 / 14  
Thanks a lot, Starkey. I hope I don't lose this link again.

D XUAN
posted 08-25-02 05:36 ET (US)     11 / 14  
It was me who bumped it out for you,DX.Press Ctrl-D(put it in a seperate folder like "useful C3 posts") and you won't lost it again.
posted 08-25-02 05:40 ET (US)     12 / 14  
OOOoops... Sorry about that, but I really couldn't remember all that.

Yeah, I shall do just that. Put them all in a Favourites folder.

D XUAN
posted 08-25-02 20:23 ET (US)     13 / 14  
Rats!

I thought BtL had made an appearance.

The man was pure genius!

posted 08-27-02 15:39 ET (US)     14 / 14  
MarcusMaximus,

Indeed he was pure genius, I have all 14 maps he greated tucked safely away in seperate folders with all the documents and minimaps to go along, they are a treasure.

Another genius who created fascinating by incredibly difficult maps was Gordon Farrell, man, his maps are so intricately designed. They are just fun to look at, but intimidating as hell to play.

StarKey

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Let's Go Fishing!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames