Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to Build a SenetEr Block
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03-22-00 17:28 ET (US)   
There is a new version of this walkthrough in the archives.

Due to absolutely no demand, here is the following post. I thought it might be helpful for beginners and shameless plug I thought it might be a nice addition to the stratgey section

Welcome to 'How to Build a SenetEr Block for Beginner's'

This block is simple and versatile and will allow the controlled evolution of housing past the scribe level. When fully complete it will also satisfy most of the culture requirements to get to a Culture Rating of 100.

It will hold between 700 and 1100 people depending on the stage of evolution of the housing.

First start with a 9x19 road system as follows. Be sure to leave 3 squares at each end in length and 2 squares top or bottom in height. You need a 25x11 plot of land to build one, preferably bigger. You'll get used to the size demands with practice. The biggest variable in size will be top and bottom, not the sides.

Legend

Decide on a entrance to the block. This can be anywhere along the top, bottom or sides. If you place it on a side, you are best to centre it. Place your housing in as shown. It is good to add fire and water at this time.

HouseHouseHouseHouseHouseHouse HouseHouseHouseHouseHouseHouse
HouseHouseHouseHouseHouseHouse Fire Warden HouseHouseHouseHouseHouseHouse
Water Supply

Legend

Once you are ready to supply food, you can get a very dramatic jump in population with a few additions. In this shot I have added a bazaar, some police coverage as crime may be an issue for this block if it has been deprived of food for a while. I have also added an architect to protect the temples (only one is needed at this point). Physician and apothecary coverage are helpful at this point as well.

Ra
HouseHouseHouseHouseHouseHouse HouseHouseHouseHouseHouseHouseJuggle platform
ApothecaryBastet
Architect
HouseHouseHouseHouseHouseHouse HouseHouseHouseHouseHouseHouse Ptah
HouseHouseHouseHouseHouseHouse PolicepostFire Warden HouseHouseHouseHouseHouseHouseJuggle platform
Water SupplyBazaarPhysician

Legend
Note the position of the undesirable bazaar and physician. They will be opposite shrines when you can afford it. Statues were placed behind the houses as they will be used as switches later to allow development of manors. Not a lot of beautification is required at this point. Add gardens behind the houses or perhaps plazas intermittently to control desirability.

Next we give the block pottery and beer and then add some more entertainment. The people will ask for a courthouse and a school. The police station can be dropped when the courthouse goes in.

CourthouseRa
ApartmentApartmentApartment ApartmentApartmentApartmentJuggle platform
Music platformDance platform
ApothecaryBastet
Architect
Juggle platformDentist
ApartmentApartmentApartment ApartmentApartmentApartment Ptah
Fire Warden Juggle platform
SchoolMusic platformJuggle platformWater SupplyBazaarPhysician Tax Collector

Legend

Special Note: you probably have noticed that I have just added the tax collector. My apologies as this is a big mistake. Tax should be collected from the very start. It keeps your tax roll high even if you aren't collecting much. Sorry, but I'm too lazy to go change all the glyphs.

We finish off the block by adding plazas, shrines a mortuary and libraries. A senet house is also shown although this may not be required. I've placed 2 libraries as this is a building you will need a lot of to reach a CR of 100. Gardens behind the water supply, bazaar and physician/mortuary will help upgrade the bazaar and counteract the desirability problems of the mortuary. A large statue can be placed by mortuary if desired to help counteract the mortuary and the senet house desirability.

CourthouseRa
ApartmentApartmentApartmentShrineShrineShrineApartmentApartmentApartmentJuggle platform
Music platformDance platformShrine
LibraryApothecaryBastet
ShrineShrineArchitect
Juggle platformDentist
LibraryApartmentApartmentApartmentShrineShrineShrineShrineApartmentApartmentApartmentShrinePtah
ShrineShrineFire WardenShrineJuggle platform
SchoolMusic platformJuggle platformWater SupplyBazaarPhysicianMortuaryTax CollectorShrineApartmentSenet House
Shrine

Legend

If you keep pottery, beer, linen, papyrus and luxury goods nearby then I've found that one bazaar will service this block nicely. Once your bazaar has luxury goods, you can do the following: if unemployment allows for it, delete a single statue from behind the housing. The house ahead of it will evolve into a 3x3 manor. Scribes move in, unemployment drops and taxes skyrocket. This block will hold 8 stately manors without the need to make a special palace block. It can support palatial estates on the top row above the block if dancer coverage is provided for them and large statues are strategically placed.

In the last image, I've shown a single apartment in the space beside the senet house. This house can be used to allow an industry strip to grab employment from this block. Please refer to other threads regarding employment and 'feeder' housing. This is a more advanced technique.

...smile as wide as the Nile...
Drop me a Line

[This message has been edited by SenetEr (edited 03-27-2000).]

Replies:
posted 03-22-00 19:29 ET (US)     1 / 29  
I really appreciate your posting these housing layouts. It's nice to see how you evolve the block. I've been fiddling with the concentric layouts Nerdicus posted in the thread by that name and have been fairly pleased with them. Now I have a new type block to try.

Christine

[This message has been edited by ChrisRobt (edited 03-22-2000).]

posted 03-22-00 19:36 ET (US)     2 / 29  
Good job SenetEr:

One other comment I remember you mentioning on previous posts.

Since the top of the block is open - temple complexes, palaces, ... can easily be placed there further enhancing the area.

You should place this in the strategy section.

Regards,
Vriesea

posted 03-23-00 02:26 ET (US)     3 / 29  
SenetEr, I was wondering, how many can this block house(in terms of worker housing)? I ask this because I like blocks which are compact and house lots of people.
Da Pharaoher
From the Field of Reeds
posted 03-23-00 08:22 ET (US)     4 / 29  
720 @ ord cottage (pre-pottery)
1104 @ fancy residence
992 @ stately manor

It's a bit of a space hog but the goal of the block is high CR and high PR without use of culture parks, etc... The other main benefit is pinpoint control of scribes vs peasants.

Drop me a Line
posted 03-23-00 08:48 ET (US)     5 / 29  
Not to pick nits, but since this is aimed at 'beginners', you should state the obvious, namely that the block requires an additional 3 squares at each end. Otherwise they'll end up trying to cram it into a cramped space and start calling you all kinds of names.

posted 03-23-00 08:56 ET (US)     6 / 29  
If that's aimed at beginners, you need some houses on the outside of the loop to feed some industries. Better teaching them the good techniques right from the start!
posted 03-23-00 09:13 ET (US)     7 / 29  
That nit is still on the tree. I tell them up near the top that they need 3 on each end and some on the bottom.
I agree with the feeder house comment. I'll go and edit my edit-free post. Sigh!
posted 03-23-00 09:50 ET (US)     8 / 29  
I think I'm going to redo this and repost it later. I'm going to push the bottom services one square right and place the school touching one square and place the feeder apartment next to the bandstand on the left. This would allow the feeder road to hook into the bandstand roadblock and be less confusing for a beginner who wants to know about feeder housing.
Gee, I should write a whole tutorial. And put it on a web-site. And call it 'Which way to SenetEr's Room at the Asylum'
posted 03-23-00 10:25 ET (US)     9 / 29  
Well, you could always write it and send it to me so I can put it in the strat section .

------------------
Angel Reckless Rodent
Caesar III Heaven & Pharaoh Heaven

posted 03-23-00 11:34 ET (US)     10 / 29  
I've used a seneter block much recently. And I have found an extra function of it. It can absorb all the extra shrines I usually add on a loose end of the road. This is done by placing one architect and a lot of shrines on the middle road. This really helps to satisfy the gods
posted 03-23-00 11:38 ET (US)     11 / 29  
If you are using it for worker housing and not for scribes, that is an excellent idea. I'll definitely use this
posted 03-23-00 12:01 ET (US)     12 / 29  
Carefull kabouter about what you're doing with SenetEr block, he's got a hudge syringe in one hand and a roulette in the other one!!!

(I'm not too sure about roulette as an english word, what I mean is that awful drill look alike instrument...)
Lots of bad memories....

posted 03-23-00 14:35 ET (US)     13 / 29  
I'm very gentle Tout

I've done a revised plot showing manors and estates, with feeder housing on a outer road that can be used for industry, granaries and SYs. The upper statues can be replaced by a Temple Complex, village palace, festival square, or family mansion to give desirability for the estates. The top tier of apartments are shown as manors and I've incoorporated kabouter's excellent shrine and architect idea, leaving the bottom row as worker housing.

I've also shown a second bazaar and moved the mortuary closer to the entrance to speed up deliveries. School, mortuary, both libraries and both bazaars are close to the entrance and should be serviced quickly. You could specialize your bazaars to two types of food and two types of goods each.

Population limit of this design is 6 fancy residences, 4 stately manors and 4 palatial estates is 1848 (552+496+800).

EstateEstateEstateEstateDance platformJuggle platform
Music platform
ShrineShrine
CourthouseRa
ManorManorShrineShrineShrineManorManorJuggle platform
Music platformDance platformShrine
LibraryArchitectBastet
ShrineShrineDentist
ShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineJuggle platformShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineApothecary
LibraryApartmentApartmentApartmentShrineArchitectShrineShrineApartmentApartmentApartmentShrinePtah
ShrineFire WardenShrineShrineJuggle platform
SchoolApartmentJuggle platformMusic platformBazaarBazaarMortuaryPhysicianTax CollectorWater SupplySenet House
Fire WardenArchitectShrineGranaryDanceschool
Storage YardStorage YardConservatory
Juggler School

Legend

Question
Should I add this to the end of my beginner discussion as a picture of a fully developed layout?

Drop me a Line

[This message has been edited by SenetEr (edited 03-23-2000).]

posted 03-24-00 02:23 ET (US)     14 / 29  
The 1st block seems to house not many people for it's size, but its still useful especially for entertainment. Anyway, where do you propose putting the juggler school, conservatory and dance school so that it will be most effective?
2nd block: Nice extended plan, but wouldn't it be better if it could fit at least 6 PEs? Also, I don't see any worker housing and architect coverage available for the TC if it's put on top.
Da Pharaoher
From the Field of Reeds
posted 03-24-00 09:15 ET (US)     15 / 29  
The TC will have access to the labor pool from the estates. The scribes there won't actually work but they know people who know people. As for architect and fire coverage, it's simple to toss the in along the top row.

I agree that it doesn't hold a lot of people but I designed it specifically to get a compact block that looked nice, was stable, met the ratings and gave good employment control. I don't ususally build a single training school until I want to give pottery and beer. Having perfect venue ratings if you build the venues early will give you bonus entertainment points and help evolve things with just venues (or venues plus jugglers is a nice combo).
If you build a senet house and have perfect ratings in all 4 venues you can get to modest apartment before you even add a juggler school. It's a bit expensive to plunk a lot of pavillions done early in the game though.

Why 6 PE? Honest question.

If you want to see it used nicely, take a peak at my Bubastis in the Downloads. If you want to see a nice layout to stick on top of one of the blocks, go here

BTW the block made it's debut here

Drop me a Line

[This message has been edited by SenetEr (edited 03-24-2000).]

posted 03-25-00 23:07 ET (US)     16 / 29  
Man, I've been gone for awhile... Just digging around at the 4 pages that are lit up...

Good guide, and my only comment is the "notice the placement of the undesirable bazaar and physician" makes it sound like the phys. is undesirable (and it ain't). Maybe I'm just too meticulous.

I actually was wondering what happened with your block, because it got really high reviews from A. Thorfinn in all the housing block posts.

quote:
I, too, use a modified SenetEr block, so...
posted 03-26-00 14:08 ET (US)     17 / 29  
I rewrote the whole thing to make it more clear (I hope )
I'll just paste a link to the new thread rather than bumping it.

Drop me a Line

posted 03-26-00 19:41 ET (US)     18 / 29  
great job Seneter, I started using your block in my cities to try to keep them together...(usually they turn out to be about 12 mini-cities) The only thing I noticed in your essay was that when you made reference to left and right, they were switched around (i.e. you said right when the road was on the left) but it didn't keep me from understanding (I'm quick like that, you know)
posted 03-26-00 20:23 ET (US)     19 / 29  
Do you mean in this thread or the big essay that is linked to in the just above yours post?
posted 03-27-00 03:46 ET (US)     20 / 29  
I forgot which Angel, Thornfinn I suppose, created a modified SenetEr block. I use that because it provides more worker housing. I don't know if the PE extension can be added, but I think it can.
Da Pharaoher
From the Field of Reeds
posted 03-27-00 15:54 ET (US)     21 / 29  
the big essay, Seneter
posted 03-27-00 18:38 ET (US)     22 / 29  
Thanks Bulldg60 I'll go give it another read when I get a chance.
posted 06-18-14 09:18 ET (US)     23 / 29  
This comes many, many years late, but I'm a little confused...what are the roads in the middle for? Wouldn't this block work without them? As far as I can tell they're only being placed in the middle for the pavilion, but what about the rest of the roads off to either side in that cross in the middle?
posted 06-18-14 11:20 ET (US)     24 / 29  
what are the roads in the middle for?
I'd guess they are there to provide dance coverage to the houses. The roads on one side could be eliminated since those houses would be passed by dancers coming from the dance school.
Wouldn't this block work without them?
It probably would, if you don't want to evolve houses too high.
posted 06-18-14 15:58 ET (US)     25 / 29  
I'm still missing something here. Aren't dancers destination walkers only when they're trying to get a pavilion? That means they can't enter the middle as random walkers due to the roadblock; they can't possibly use those roads since they'd be denied access as random walkers, right?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » How to Build a SenetEr Block
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: