You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The last tower built didn't get a guard!
posted 09-08-00 05:58 ET (US)   
I don't recall seeing this problem described before, but I may have missed it.

While building On, I noticed that the last tower I built didn't receive a guard (even though it had employees). But it did receive a guard as soon as another tower was built, although the new tower did not. I experiemented for a while (including restarting Pharaoh), and the result was always the same. So I built an extra tower on an isolated peninsula, and the five towers I wanted all received guards.

Later I decided that I needed two more towers. So I deleted the extra one, built the two new ones (but only one was given road access initially), rebuilt the walls for the extra one but not the tower itself (because money was tight), and saw that the tower with road access received a guard (as expected). Later, when workers were available (and the extra tower still not rebuilt), I gave the second new tower road access and was surprised to see it receive a guard. I tried one experiment without building the extra walls and the last tower didn't receive a guard, but I didn't handle road access the same way. I was too tired (and uninterested) to experiment any further.

I mention this in case anyone else has seen something similar. If it's an isolated phenonmenon then there's little point in discussing it.

Replies:
posted 09-08-00 08:11 ET (US)     1 / 12  
hmm, had a problem very similar to this in North Dahshur, where some of my towers had road access to the recruiter, had road access, had labour, the recruiter had full labour, but I never got a sentry, try delete undo of the recruiter and you should get a sentry
posted 09-08-00 08:26 ET (US)     2 / 12  
I think , after a certain time expired , recruiters refuse to send sentries to towers too far from them , it happenned to me in Kebet and Rowarty . Then it is really the only thing you can do to delete and rebuild . But Brugle's problem seems to be different .
posted 09-08-00 08:43 ET (US)     3 / 12  
I have sometimes noticed recruiters taking a long time (a few months, anyway) to notice that a distant tower needed a guard, but I don't think that's the same as the phenomena described here.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 09-08-2000).]

posted 09-08-00 15:24 ET (US)     4 / 12  
Brugle,

It sounds like your last tower is not getting road access. That you may be placing your road up to the tower but not adjacent to it. Then when you extend the road to the next tower the road now becomes adjacent to the previous tower and it becomes manned.

You can see the same situation if you take three towers and make an "L" or a right angle. If you place a road on the inside of the "L" the middle tower, even though it is touching the road on its edge, will not be manned by the recruiter.

This might not be the problem but it is a common occurance to those that build a tower complex at right angles and use road access on the inside of the complex.

Good gaming
Vriesea

posted 09-08-00 16:14 ET (US)     5 / 12  
Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is not road access (the new towers obtained employees easily) or distance (the new towers were closer to the recruiter than any others). I didn't try delete-undo of the recruiter (I try to avoid undo, since it seems to be implicated in some cases of graphical corruption). Unless it happens again, I think I'll ignore it.
posted 09-09-00 11:48 ET (US)     6 / 12  
Remember that the Recruiter has priorities. If any Forts require personnel, they ALWAYS get serviced first (there are also priorities here as well, but i've forgotten them!). Maybe that was your problem.

Tulip

Live well
Laugh often
Love much

[This message has been edited by Tulip (edited 09-09-2000).]

posted 09-09-00 11:53 ET (US)     7 / 12  
Actually, towers are the highest priority, so this can't be the problem.
posted 09-09-00 13:37 ET (US)     8 / 12  
Tulip:

JWorth is correct. If you have multiple forts of different types and towers to be manned at the same time the order of priority by the recruiter is:

Tower guard
Charioteer
Infantry
Archer

This is assuming all weapons have been delivered to the recruiter and that the towers are manned and accessed properly.

Multiple forts of the same type are manned in the order of their placement. The closest to the recruiter is manned first.

Brugle, sounds like you have a one of glitch.

Good gaming,
Vriesea

posted 03-22-08 19:46 ET (US)     9 / 12  
That's interesting!
To me, the order of priorities seems to be (omitting Chariots):
1. Sentries (based in Towers; walk along the walls; different than Tower Guards)
2. Infantry
3. Archers
That's because I saw each of these walking from the Recruiter to their posts.

The Towers man themselves when their labor recruiter walks to town. I never saw Tower Guards walking from the Recruiter to a Tower -- just Sentries.
* The Tower Guards just appeared there when they were recruited.

Also, a Sentry will only go to a Tower (and thence to a Wall) if the Tower is connected to the Recruiter by a road.
* It's not enough just for the Tower to recruit a Tower Guard. The Sentry has to be able to walk there.

I had an interesting problem in Buhen: With the Walls having 17 Towers, the Recruiter never seemed to get around to recruiting for my Infantry and Archer Forts.
* On my first attempt to fix this, the Recruiter did not recruit any Archers, Infantry, or even Sentries for an entire year; so I went back, tried to mis-think like the game did, and succeeded. (spoilers avoided)

Did any of you ever see a Tower Guard walking to their Tower?
posted 03-22-08 20:33 ET (US)     10 / 12  
George R,
Since tower guards and sentries are created simultaneously, forumers often refer to them interchangeably when discussing whether or not they are created. Neither a tower guard nor a sentry will be created if the tower does not have a road connection to the recruiter.
posted 03-23-08 09:08 ET (US)     11 / 12  
towers are the highest priority
Yes.

The problem of Brugle happened to me on quite several occasions. In particular, I had some towers getting manned/unmanned frequently, to the point that I could not raise an army.
Often, I had to delete the tower and replace it. Or, cheaper, the walls between two towers, or the road reaching the tower. Once, even, I had to destroy the recruitment camp as it had become utterly dysfunctional.
These strategies succeeded or failed, alternatively. Yes, it is a glitch.

Defender Of The Faith

The thing with tryhard is you can never tell if he's writing a gay erotica on purpose or not - Jax

[This message has been edited by Tryhard (edited 03-23-2008 @ 09:17 AM).]

posted 03-29-10 11:54 ET (US)     12 / 12  
After over 9 years, I think I can explain and solve the problem. The last tower built in my Immortal Iunet didn't get a guard until other buildings were built. Investigating, a tower that should get a guard apparently doesn't if it is at the end of the building list. When it isn't the last building on the building list, it soon gets a guard. The problem may not be observed very often because other things may be built soon after a tower and because a tower may go into a gap in the building list (caused by deletions or by houses merging or absorbing other houses).

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 03-29-2010 @ 12:09 PM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » The last tower built didn't get a guard!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames