Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Housing Blocks
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 18  Next Page »
posted 11-24-00 17:49 ET (US)   
No one has posted any new housing blocks for a while, and I thought that it was time that someone (me) did so. You won’t find anything really new here, as this subject has been covered very well. Most of what I’m posting are just my variations on housing blocks that others have developed.

I have supplied the glyphs in this post with “tags”. To see what the glyph represents, just move your cursor over the symbol, and the tag will pop-up.

I have also posted housing blocks in the threads Baki-Balancing Housing Blocks and Ratings, Estate Block Alternatives and A New Concept for Housing Blocks.

Vaia

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 01-26-2006 @ 03:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-24-00 17:50 ET (US)     1 / 442  
Worker Housing Block

Small_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_Statue
GardenTemple_to_RaCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCourthouseGarden
S.Y.-3/4_beer,_1/4_papyrusGardenGarden
Small_StatueBoothBoothSmall_Statue
GardenGardenMortuaryPavilionPavilionPavilionPavilionCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceBoothBoothFire_WardenShrineGardenGarden
S.Y.-3/4_pottery,_1/4_linenGardenGardenPavilionPavilionPavilionPavilionApothecaryBandstandBandstandGardenGarden
GardenGardenScribe_SchoolPavilionPavilionPavilionSmall_StatueGardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenTax_CollectorBandstandBandstandBandstandSmall_StatueGarden
GardenGardenPavilionSmall_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenBandstandBandstandBandstandGardenGarden
RoadblockRoadblockRoadblockRoadblockCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceVitruviusAIA-ArchitectShrineGardenGarden
GranaryGardenGardenBazaarPhysicianGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGarden
Large_StatueWater_SupplyCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceDentistGardenGardenGardenGarden
ShrineGardenGardenGardenGarden
Small_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenGarden

The following comments are based on a “Normal” difficulty setting.

The inner loop of this block contains 52 road tiles. This is the largest loop that I have been able to develop which is 100% stable. (This inner loop should be covered with “plazas” to increase desirability. I have used plaza glyphs to indicate the layout of the entertainment venues, so I left these tiles as road glyphs.)

I typically develop this block to “Common Residence” which will hold a maximum population of 2,800. To achieve this level, the houses must be provided with one type of food, pottery and beer. Set the Bazaar to buy these items only.

If food is plentiful, I will sometimes provide a second type of food to the block which will evolve it to “Spacious Residence”, with a maximum population of 2,940.

I set the Bazaar to “Don’t Buy Linen”, because I want to reserve the linen for the Manor and Estate blocks.

For Common Residences, the Mortuary and Dentist are not required. (Dentist is required for Spacious Residence.) They are provided for this block because one of my mission goals is “Perfect” coverage for health.

Another of my mission goals is “Perfect” coverage for entertainment. The entertanment venues in this block are to increase citywide coverage. Only the Bandstand would be required to evolve this block to Common Residence. The Bandstand and Booth together would evolve the block to Spacious Residence. The Pavilion is not required for block evolution.

Additional Comments:

The outer road is provided for labor recruiters from farms and industries. Any recruiter walking along this road will pick up workers as he passes by a house (as long as there isn’t a citywide labor shortage).

This block pays annual taxes of 4,536 debens at full occupancy and a 9% tax rate.

I set one Storage Yard to accept (or get) ¾ pottery and ¼ linen. The second Storage Yard is set to ¾ beer and ¼ papyrus.

The Large Statue is provided to upgrade the Bazaar and Water Supply. This is necessary for full coverage.

Initially, there is a Police Station in the block where the Courthouse is located. After the block is supplied with beer, I delete the Police Station and replace it with the Courthouse. A housing block must have a Police Station or a Courthouse, but both are not required.

Important: Don’t forget to provide a Fire House and Architects Post for the Storage Yards and the Granary. I left them off the diagram but they are, of course, very important.

Worker Housing Block – Updated Sep. 12, 2002

(I have been meaning to revise this post for a long time. Having this old thread revived yesterday prompted me to do so.)

The original housing block in this thread served me very well. At the time, I was playing on “Normal” difficulty and never had any problems with it. I now know more about walker behavior than I did back then, and I am amazed that it worked at all. The two dead-end roads created by the Pavilion and Bandstand are simply not a good idea. Try the original version on Hard or Very Hard difficulty and you will find out why.

The updated version has eliminated all of the dead-end roads except for a one-tile dead-end at the Pavilion. The interior road loop has been reduced to 50 tiles in lieu of the original 52. The number of houses and service buildings are the same as the original, except that I omitted the Bandstand. The Bandstand helped with the overall entertainment requirement of the Culture Rating, but did nothing for the block.

The services and desirability of the updated block are adequate for all difficulty levels up to Spacious Residences.

GrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrass
GrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadGrass
GrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenRoadGrass
GrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoad BlockGardenGardenTax CollectorCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceWater SupplyCourthouseGardenRoadGrass
GrassGrassGrassGrassFirehouseRoadStatue, SmallGardenStatue, SmallRoadGrass
GrassGrassGrassGrassArchitect's PostRoadGardenCommon ResidencePlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaBooth4Statue, SmallRoadGrass
GrassGrassStorage YardRoadGardenPlazaCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceGardenGardenRoadGrass
GrassGrassRoadGardenCommon ResidencePlazaDentistPlazaGardenGardenRoadGrass
GrassGrassRoadGardenPlazaFirehouseShrineGardenStatue, MediumStatue, MediumStatue, MediumStatue, MediumStatue, MediumStatue, MediumScribal SchoolPlazaCommon ResidenceGardenStatue, SmallRoadGrass
GrassGrassStorage YardRoadStatue, SmallGardenPavilion-l3GardenPlazaGardenStatue, SmallRoadGrass
GrassGrassRoadGardenGardenCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceApothecaryPlazaCommon ResidenceGardenGardenRoadGrass
GrassGrassRoadGardenGardenArchitect's PostPlazaGardenGardenRoadGrass
Road BlockRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoad BlockRoad BlockPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaTempleStatue, SmallRoadGrass
GrassGranaryRoad BlockGardenGardenBazaarMortuaryPhysicianCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceCommon ResidenceStatue, SmallRoadGrass
GrassRoadGardenGardenGardenRoadGrass
GrassRoadStatue, SmallGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenStatue, SmallGardenGardenRoadGrass
GrassRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadGrass
GrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrass

Edited 01-12-03:

The block posted above worked the first time I used it (playing on Very Hard). I tried it again today and had problems. I thought that the solution would be do simply reduce the size of the block. Not so.

Even with a 44 tile loop, service walkers would sometimes walk into the intersection at the pavilion, and then reverse direction going back the way they came.

Edited 01-13-05

I recommend a block design without intersections (similar to those posted in Replies 42 & 80 of this thread). A block with an intersection may sometimes cause problems.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 01-13-2005 @ 10:35 PM).]

posted 11-24-00 17:51 ET (US)     2 / 442  
Laying out a block for Manors

Large_Statue
GardenGardenSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_Statue
Tax_CollectorFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_Residence
Fire_WardenShrineBazaar
VitruviusAIA-ArchitectShrine
ShrineShrineShrineTemple_to_OsirisTemple_to_SethCourthouseVitruviusAIA-ArchitectApothecaryDentistFire_Warden
ShrineFancy_ResidenceDynasty_Mansion
GranaryShrine
Storage_YardGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenPhysicianScribe_School
GardenGarden
RoadblockRoadblockBazaar
GranaryStorage_YardGardenGardenWater_SupplyFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceFancy_ResidenceShrineShrine
GardenGardenShrineShrineGardenGarden
GardenLarge_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenGardenGarden

This is the layout that I start with when I want to evolve a block to Manors. It has the same 52-tile inner road loop as my Worker Housing Block. I try to build at least two manor blocks in my cities. In one, I place my Mansion as shown here and in Manor Block #1. In the other, I add the Palace as shown in Manor Block #2.

All of the structures required to reach Fancy Residence level are included in this diagram. In addition to the goods required for the Common Residences in my Worker Housing Block, you will need to provide this block with a second type of food and linen.

When this block evolves to Fancy Residence, all that you need to add for Common Manors is luxury goods. Before you provide luxury goods to this block, however, I would recommend that you install the small statues behind the residences as shown. These statues keep the residences from evolving to manors. Without them, you will loose all of your workers in the block when the residences evolve to manors. This could cause a citywide worker shortage that could be hard to recover from.

With the small statues in place as shown, you can control the evolution to manors. Starting at one end of a row of residences, delete the small statues 2 at a time. This will create a 3x3 area for the manor to expand into.

Additional Comments:

The maximum population for the block of Fancy Residences is 1,748 and it pays annual taxes of 3,775 debens (at 9% rate).

To evolve this housing further, a lot of food and goods will be required. I have found that it is best to provide these blocks with two bazaars. Otherwise, the houses tend to run out of supplies and devolve. I set one bazaar to buy the most abundant type of food, pottery and linen. I set the other bazaar to by food types 2 & 3, beer and luxury goods. One granary serving this block would accept (or get) the most abundant food type, and the other would hold food types 2 & 3. These percentages might have to be adjusted depending on how well the bazaars are being provided.

[EDIT]

The Housing Block for 15 Stately Manors in Reply #141 of this thread is much better than this one.

The inner-road loop has been reduced to 44-tiles. The desirability is adequate for Very Hard difficulty. The new block has improved access for labor-seekers and most important, the block is “intersection free”.

You should not encounter any problems using the new version. This version has flaws.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 01-20-2005 @ 12:51 PM).]

posted 11-24-00 17:51 ET (US)     3 / 442  
Manor Block #1

GardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGarden
Large_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenLarge_Statue
GardenGardenStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_Manor
Tax_Collector
Fire_WardenShrineBazaarTemple_to_Path
Storage_YardShrineShrineShrineTemple_to_OsirisTemple_to_SethCourthouseSenet_HouseVitruviusAIA-ArchitectApothecaryDentistFire_Warden
ShrineFancy_ResidenceDynasty_MansionMortuaryGarden
GranaryShrineGarden
Storage_YardGardenGardenGardenLibraryLibraryGardenGarden
GardenGardenPhysicianScribe_SchoolScribe_SchoolGarden
GardenGardenGarden
RoadblockRoadblockBazaarGarden
GranaryStorage_YardGardenGardenWater_SupplyStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorShrineShrineGarden
GardenGardenShrineShrineGardenGardenGarden
GardenLarge_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden

This is the Manor Block fully evolved to 12 Stately Manors. All of the desirability structures (statues and gardens) necessary for full evolution are shown (except that all of the road tiles should be plazas). I have used this block many times, and it is 100% stable as long as it remains supplied with goods. Undesirable buildings should be placed away from these blocks. The most undesirable are forts, mines, docks and shipwrights.

This block contains two Scribe Schools and two Libraries. One of each is all that is required for the block to evolve. However, I have found that in trying to achieve a 100% Culture Rating, I am always lacking the required schools and libraries. Just leave these areas blank (or fill them in with gardens) until you need them.

Additional Comments:

The maximum population for this block is 1,580 and it pays annual taxes of 10,643 debens (at 9% rate).

The one Fancy Residence in this block is there to provide the Granaries and Storage Yards with workers. The Granaries and Storage Yards don’t have to be located directly adjacent to the block as shown, however, if they are located as shown desirability will still be good enough for the manors to evolve.

I set one Storage Yard to accept (or get) 3/4 pottery and 1/4 luxury goods. The second is set to 3/4 beer and 1/4 luxury goods. The third is set to 1/2 linen and 1/2 papyrus.

[EDIT]

The Housing Block for 15 Stately Manors in Reply #141 of this thread is much better than this one.

The inner-road loop has been reduced to 44-tiles. The desirability is adequate for Very Hard difficulty. The new block has improved access for labor-seekers and most important, the block is “intersection free”.

You should not encounter any problems using the new version. This version has flaws.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 01-20-2005 @ 12:52 PM).]

posted 11-24-00 17:52 ET (US)     4 / 442  
Manor Block #2

GardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenLarge_Statue
Large_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_Manor
Tax_CollectorTemple_to_Path
Fire_WardenShrineBazaar
Storage_YardShrineShrineVitruviusAIA-ArchitectCourthouseLibrarySenet_HouseCity_PalaceFire_WardenTemple_to_Osiris
ShrineFancy_ResidenceMortuary
GranaryShrine
Storage_YardGardenGardenGardenLibraryShrineShrineGardenGarden
GardenGardenScribe_SchoolScribe_SchoolPhysicianBazaarGarden
GardenGardenGarden
RoadblockRoadblockTemple_to_Seth
GranaryStorage_YardGardenGardenWater_SupplyStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorDentistApothecary
GardenGardenShrineShrine
GardenLarge_StatueGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenMedium_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden

This is the Manor Block that I use, adjusted for a 6x6 City Palace in lieu of the 5x5 Dynasty Mansion. The population and tax figures are the same as Manor Block #1.

Additional Comments:

If you don’t want to place the Palace or Mansion inside these blocks, you can replace the Palace with 4 Stately Manors. Place two of the manors between the Courthouse and Library, and the other two directly below them, moving the “undesirable” Senet House as far to the right as possible (next to the Mortuary). Like this:

CourthouseStately_ManorStately_ManorLibrarySenet_HouseFire_Warden
Mortuary
Stately_ManorStately_ManorLibraryShrineShrine
Scribe_SchoolScribe_SchoolPhysicianBazaar

You will also need to replace the Medium Statues behind the other Manors with Large Statues to replace the desirability lost without a Place or a Mansion.

The bandstand on the right side of the diagram also provides a “back door” to the block. This can be useful if your gold mines are on this side.

With 16 Stately Manors instead of 12, this block will have a maximum population of 2,076 and pay annual taxes of 14,125 debens (at 9% rate).

[EDIT]

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 01-20-2005 @ 12:52 PM).]

posted 11-24-00 17:53 ET (US)     5 / 442  
Laying out a Block for Estates

Large_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_Statue
Large_StatueLarge_Statue
Small_StatueShrineShrineShrineSmall_Statue
Large_StatueSmall_StatueShrineShrineShrineSmall_StatueLarge_Statue
LibraryTemple_to_OsirisTemple_to_RaScribe_SchoolCourthouse
Large_StatueDentistLarge_Statue
Apothecary
ShrineShrineShrineBazaarTax_CollectorWater_SupplyPhysicianMortuaryShrineShrineShrineShrine
ShrineShrineShrineSmall_StatueShrineFire_WardenVitruviusAIA-ArchitectShrineSmall_StatueShrineShrineShrineShrineShrine
RoadblockRoadblock
ShrineBazaarLibrarySenet_HouseScribe_SchoolBazaarTemple_to_Bast
Shrine

When laying out this block for Estates, the locations shown for the shrines and small statues that surround the housing are critical. They determine where the estates will be allowed to evolve. The idea for this block belongs to Grumpus. The placement of the houses and the large statues that are needed for evolution to Palatial Estates comes from his luxury housing block. The placement of the support structures and entertainment venues are the only things that are mine.

Additional Comments:

The large statues are to increase the desirability of the area so that the houses will evolve to Palatial Estates.

The extra Library and Scribe School are included in this block to increase citywide coverage. Only one of each is necessary.

This block requires a lot of food and goods. To keep this block 100% stable, I have supplied it with 3 bazaars. Two bazaars will sometimes be enough if the Granaries and Storage Yards containing the supplies for the block are near enough. For 3 bazaars, bazaar #1 buys Food Type A and pottery, bazaar #2 buys Food Type B and beer, bazaar #3 buys Food Type C, linen and luxury goods. For 2 bazaars, bazaar #1 buys Food Types A & B, pottery and linen, bazaar #2 buys Food types B & C, beer and luxury goods.

When possible, I will replace some of the large statues with a Temple Complex. The Temple Complex has to get its workers from another block (at least until the houses evolve to 3x3 size) and it will need an architects post.

[EDIT]

The Housing Block for 12 Palatial Estates in Reply #130 of this thread is much better than this one.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 01-20-2005 @ 12:55 PM).]

posted 11-24-00 17:54 ET (US)     6 / 442  
Estate Block

Large_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_Statue
Large_StatuePalatial_EstatePalatial_EstatePalatial_EstatePalatial_EstateLarge_Statue
Small_StatueShrineShrineShrineSmall_Statue
Large_StatueSmall_StatueShrineShrineShrineSmall_StatueLarge_Statue
Palatial_EstatePalatial_Estate
LibraryTemple_to_OsirisTemple_to_RaScribe_SchoolCourthouse
Large_StatueDentistLarge_Statue
Apothecary
ShrineShrineShrineBazaarTax_CollectorWater_SupplyPhysicianMortuaryShrineShrineShrineShrine
ShrineShrineShrineSmall_StatueShrineFire_WardenVitruviusAIA-ArchitectShrineSmall_StatueShrineShrineShrineShrineShrine
RoadblockRoadblock
ShrineBazaarLibrarySenet_HouseScribe_SchoolBazaarTemple_to_Bast
Shrine

Here is the block fully evolved to Palatial Estates.

The maximum population for this block is 1,200 and it pays annual taxes of 10,368 debens (at 9% rate).

[EDIT]

The Housing Block for 12 Palatial Estates in Reply #130 of this thread is much better than this one.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 01-20-2005 @ 12:54 PM).]

posted 11-24-00 17:54 ET (US)     7 / 442  
Double Estate Block

Need more Palatial Estates? Here’s a block with 12.

GardenGardenLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenLarge_StatueGardenPalatial_EstateGardenPalatial_EstateGardenPalatial_EstateGardenPalatial_EstateGardenLarge_StatueGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenSmall_StatueShrineShrineShrineSmall_StatueGardenGarden
Large_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueShrineVitruviusAIA-ArchitectShrineSmall_StatueGardenGardenLarge_Statue
Palatial_EstatePalatial_Estate
LibraryTemple_to_OsirisTemple_to_RaWater_SupplyTemple_to_Path
Large_StatueApothecaryLarge_Statue
GardenGardenDentist
ShrineSmall_StatueBazaarLarge_StatueGardenGardenGardenLarge_StatueSenet_HouseGarden
RoadblockGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
Large_StatueShrineSmall_StatueGardenBazaarGardenGardenGardenGardenLarge_Statue
Palatial_EstateSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatueGardenSmall_StatuePalatial_Estate
BazaarGardenScribe_SchoolMortuaryTax_CollectorPhysicianFire_Warden
Large_StatueGardenLarge_Statue
GardenGardenSmall_StatuePalatial_EstateShrinePalatial_EstateShrinePalatial_EstateShrinePalatial_EstateSmall_StatueGardenGarden
GardenGardenLarge_StatueSmall_StatueShrineShrineShrineSmall_StatueLarge_StatueGardenGarden
GardenGardenLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGarden

There is a blank 3x3 area to the right of the Senet House. This space is for a Courthouse.
(For some reason that I cound not figure out or correct, the whole diagram "blows up" when the Courthouse is placed in this position)

This block also has an inner road loop of 52 tiles, which I consider the maximum for 100% stability.

The maximum population for this block is 2,400 and it pays annual taxes of 20,736 debens (at 9% rate).

Like all blocks in this post, the inner road loop should be covered with plazas.

[EDIT]

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 01-20-2005 @ 12:53 PM).]

posted 11-28-00 17:44 ET (US)     8 / 442  
I have completed my essay on housing blocks. Comments and/or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
posted 11-29-00 10:57 ET (US)     9 / 442  
Hi Vitru,

I really like your worker block - very simple and yet efficiant.

However, one small suggestion. I always find it risky with
a dance platform in blocks with max walker distance since there always is a risk of some random walkers being caught up in there. Since you don't really need it for your housing to develop, I suggest to move it inside the block
"a'la" Seneter style with a roadblock. It will still give
coverage to the inner circle of houses + the culture rating.

posted 11-29-00 16:59 ET (US)     10 / 442  
VitruviusAIA,
these housing blocks were very helpful to me because i was always confused on how to evolve palaces

now i'm definitely going to use it in my cities, they're very good (your housing blocks )

ana

War never decided who was right, only who was left.
posted 12-01-00 15:26 ET (US)     11 / 442  
VitruviusAIA:

Excellent job in presenting your housing essay. Your housing layouts are very similiar to my approach but I tend to use more bazaars. I prefer the approach of letting the bazaar ladies go out and get the supplies rather then bringing the supplies to the housing blocks with SYs.

One question, have you experimented with replacing the large statues that frame the estate block by other favorable structures such as the temple complex?

Large statues will definitely raise the desirability of the area but I have been trying to create estate housing areas that are not framed. What I am striving for is estate housing the is more integrated into the city.

I have had some success with estates built adjacent to the temple complex but the number of estates that can be built is limited. Wonder if you had tried this.

Keep up good posting,
Vriesea

posted 12-02-00 23:28 ET (US)     12 / 442  
QueenAnka,

Thank you for you kind comment. I’ll glad that my post was a help to you.

Nimlot Persson,

You are correct that dance platforms (pavilions) can be a problem for random walkers. I lay out my cities by a set of “rules” or “additional requirements” that I have set for myself. One of my rules is that “all entertainment venues must be an integral part of housing blocks”. Placing a pavilion, and then adding a roadblock to keep random walkers out, would be a violation of my self-imposed rules.

Doing as you suggest is safer however, and definitely not cheating, because the game allows it. Actually, if the pavilion is placed within the center loop with only one roadblocked road square leading to it, the performers from the block will “teleport” to the inside loop and you will get the coverage also. This is actually the “best” way to lay out these blocks. I consider this behavior a “bug” in the program, so I choose not to use it.

The block will work as I have shown, even though a walker will occasionally wander into the pavilion. I have used it many times, and have never had a problem with it.

Vriesea,

There are few structures that have the desirability of Large Statues (+14). Not only is the desirability high, but they also have a small (3x3) size, so you get a bonus of overlapping desirability points when you place them next to each other. It is these “multiplied” desirability points which give you the totals you need for Palatial Estates.

I have also been able to achieve the required total (+90) using a Temple Complex (+20). It wasn’t easy, and I still had to use Large Statues. I’ve also done it by replacing some to the statues with a combination of City Palace (+24), Festival Pavilion (+16) and a Dynasty Mansion (+28).

I’m afraid that this post is already getting too large (with all of the diagrams) for forum members with slow connections. I’m going to start another post Estate Block Alternatives to show you what I’ve come up with.

About the use of additional bazaars verses storage yards:

Storage yards cost 70, bazaars cost 40, defiantly a plus for bazaars.

Storage yards need 6 workers, bazaars only 5, a plus for bazaars.

Bazaars must be located inside a housing block. This space could be used for additional housing or structures required to evolve the block further. Storage yards just have to be someplace nearby, a plus for storage yards.

I can “see” what’s in my storage yards, and if they are about to run out of anything. You have to “click” on a bazaar to see what’s inside. This is just a convenience, but it’s hard to keep track of everything that’s happening in this game, so this is a big plus for storage yards to me.

Score tied, two to two.

Oh, one more thing. You can set storage yards to “getting” and the cart pushers will go anywhere, they don’t even need roads. (I can’t count this one as a plus, but others could. One of the additional rules that I play by is that “all roads in the city must be connected, including the Kingdom Road”. The cross-country travel of the cart pushers is therefore no advantage to me.)

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 12-03-2000).]

posted 12-03-00 03:48 ET (US)     13 / 442  
VitruviusAIA,

My "gut" tells me that a 52-tile loop block with 2 intersections won't always work. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked fine 19 times out of 20, but I'd expect that somewhere on a map, in some orientation, surrounded by some road network, a walker would always make "wrong" decisions at the intersections.

Here's a thought concerning storage yards vs. bazaars. Extra bazaars with the same good increase a block's reserve, giving a bazaar buyer more time to replenish the good before houses start to devolve. However, extra bazaars for the same good may mean that a storage yard should store more of that good, to prevent one block's bazaars from emptying it and causing another block to run out. Extra storage yards may mean that bazaar buyers have less distance to go to replenish goods. On a single map, to ensure that no houses devolve even in the worst case (all bazaars run low on all goods around the same time), the best solution appeared (to me) to be extra bazaars in some places and extra storage yards in others.

posted 12-03-00 18:50 ET (US)     14 / 442  
Brugle,

I understand what you are saying about a 52-tile loop with 2 intersections. Murphy’s law seems to dictate that sooner or later one of these blocks is going to devolve on me. I realize that these blocks are on the “edge” when it comes to coverage. Maybe it’s the randomness of the random walkers that actually prevents this from happening.

I have never had one of these blocks devolve from lack of coverage. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. Since they seem to work most (all?) of the time, I figured that if I ever did have a problem, I would just relocate the structure that was giving me problems. (I would switch places with a bazaar and mortuary or a courthouse and a temple, for example).

I haven’t tried the Double Manor Bock (post #7) in an actual city yet. It worked ok the one time I built it in a sandbox map. Maybe this will be the one that gives me problems.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 12-03-2000).]

posted 12-04-00 03:02 ET (US)     15 / 442  
VitruviusAIA,

As usual very interesting mail from you. A few comments.

Your worker housing block is unstable if you play at very hard difficulty level ( which I do for all scenarious and have been able to win, except two). I have frequently fires breaking out, in particular after a reload and your block needs to be complemented by one or two more fire houses.

It is not necessary to have a police station or a courthouse in the beginning of the game. I try to avoid depending on tax revenues until very late, when I can destroy some of the worker buildings and develop a long policed entrance into the housing block. There is nothing more frustrating then seeing your meager savings being wiped out in December by several gangs of thieves.

For the estate block I use a basic central structure of 6x16 tiles (=roads 8x18) which allows me to cram in every basic building. I have a pavillion on the outside of the loop and a bandstand at the entrance. With this I can get ten palatial estates using up a minimun of space which sometimes is of premium.

PS I am playing without the enhancement pack.

posted 12-05-00 00:21 ET (US)     16 / 442  
dadtoth,

Yes, I would expect that to happen at very hard difficulty level. Like I said, the block was “on the edge” of being able to provide coverage at normal. (Brugle, you can say “I told you so” now. )

Lately I’ve been reconsidering the usefulness of blocks that large anyway. I’ve started a new post called Balancing Housing Blocks and Ratings that I think that you will find interesting. Everyone visiting this post looking for housing blocks should check it out also.

posted 12-07-00 16:34 ET (US)     17 / 442  
I'm very glad I wandered into the forum today. This is a nice piece of work. I really like your blocks. When I get back to Cleo, I'm going to use your worker block.
posted 12-08-00 02:59 ET (US)     18 / 442  
SenetEr,

I’m flattered. You are still the Master when it comes to housing blocks; I’m just one of your students.

I think that it’s a pretty good block if you need room for a lot of workers, but it doesn’t do much for your culture rating. I’m actually working on another series of smaller blocks that I hope to post soon. My reasons for doing this are explained in my Balancing Housing Blocks and Ratings thread.

I still play at normal difficulty, and have never had a problem with this block. dadtoth reported fires breaking out at very hard difficulty when he tried to use it.

I loaded a couple of my cities that used this block and reset the difficulty level to very hard. I watched them for several game years. Although I got some pretty tall orange towers in the “risk of fire” overlay, a fire never started. As a test, I took out the pavilion, and added more houses in its place. After that, there were no coverage problems.

I checked all walker coverage’s in the block on very hard difficulty (with and without the pavilion), and risk of fire was the only one that was marginal (and that was with the pavilion in place).

As I said earlier in this post, the only reason the pavilion is in this block is to increase citywide coverage. The block itself doesn’t require it. Although I never use “teleporting” entertainers in my cities, I did an experiment with this block to see how it would work. It doesn’t. I “buried” the pavilion inside the inner loop, with one roadblocked road square leading to it. The entertainers did teleport, but to the outer road loop, not the inner one. I didn’t need the coverage anyway, but it just seamed silly to me to layout a block out like that.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 12-08-2000).]

posted 12-11-00 01:24 ET (US)     19 / 442  
I have just added more housing blocks in my Balancing Housing Blocks and Ratings thread. These blocks were specifically designed for my attempt at the Baki mission, but you might find them useful.
posted 01-27-01 14:00 ET (US)     20 / 442  
To VitruviusAIA

I am having one problem with your Manor block.

The image says to place the Pavilion like this:

Dance platformJuggle platform
Music platform

Legend

But I can only place it like this:

Juggle platformDance platform
Music platform

Legend

Any suggestions?

Yours,
Urit

posted 01-28-01 00:48 ET (US)     21 / 442  
Hi Urit, welcome to Pharaoh Heaven.

Pavilions may be placed in 11 of the 12 possible ways that have two straight roads intersecting in a non-corner square. The layout that is not allowed has the intersection is in the ESE edge square. In your post, the upper diagram would have the pavilion in the forbidden layout if north is up and to the right. It appears that VitruviusAIA's manor blocks are designed to be used in a different orientation.

Now, what should you do? Perhaps build the block in another orientation. Perhaps redesign the block slightly. Perhaps experiment a little. Perhaps wait until VitruviusAIA (or someone else) suggests a variation.

posted 01-28-01 14:06 ET (US)     22 / 442  
Thanks, I think I'll flip the block so the Pavilion is like this:

Dance platform
Music platformJuggle platform

Legend

Urit
(Now on Menat Khufu)

posted 01-28-01 14:40 ET (US)     23 / 442  
Welcome Urit,

As Brugle has pointed out, you have chosen the one orientation where the Pavilion cannot be placed as shown. I was not aware of this “bug” when I posted the block. I discovered this problem later and posted this information in a thread called Pavilion Placement Bug. But that doesn’t help you now. Sorry about that.

The problem with having to revise the Pavilion layout is that you will no longer have room for the Physician. These blocks were designed to obtain a very high Culture Rating. Because of this, they contain several “duplicate” services. You can eliminate the Booth, Bandstand, one of the Libraries and one of the Scribe Schools, and the block can still evolve to Stately Manors. (If there are no reeds on your map, you can eliminate the Apothecary as well.)

I have also found that in some orientations, there can also be “coverage” problems with these blocks. This is caused by the additional “intersection” at the Bandstand. My suggestion would be to eliminate the Bandstand and put the Physician where the Bandstand was.

posted 01-28-01 14:49 ET (US)     24 / 442  
Urit,

I didn’t see your last post before I replied. If you can still change the orientation without having to rebuild too much, then that is of course the best solution. I was afraid that you had gone to far for that to still be an option.

posted 06-22-01 01:15 ET (US)     25 / 442  
Hi Vitru,

I am new to the forum, and fairly new to the game too. I love your post, the housing blocks look so clean and efficient, I cant wait to try them out. Forgive my ignorance, but there's one thing I don't understand about the worker housing block. None of the houses touch the outer loop, and the entrances are guarded by roadblocks. How do the recruiters get to all those workers? Do I add a "feeder" house like SenetEr has shown in his housing blocks? Or do some of the roadblocks need to be removed? Or are recruiters destination walkers and not random walkers as I am assuming? Please advise. Thanks.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 18  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Housing Blocks
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames