Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Baki-Balancing Housing Blocks and Ratings
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-04-00 21:40 ET (US)   
It’s been said, “It’s easier to get there if you know where you’re going”. My next mission is Baki, and there is a population requirement of 10,000. It is my goal to complete the mission in the shortest time possible (game time, not playing time) with 100% ratings for Kingdom, Prosperity and Culture. I also want “perfect” scores for Entertainment, Education and Health. So, how do I get there?

This post is my plan for completing Baki, at normal difficulty and with a few special mission requirements. But what this post is really about is developing a plan of attack for any Pharaoh mission at any difficulty level. There are a lot of us who like to do this. Others enjoy the challenge of just “winging it” and attacking problems as they arise (this post is probably not for you). The post is also a philosophy about housing blocks, and city building in general.

"When one knows what to do, there is only little time one needs for doing it. It is only when one does not Know what to do that it takes so much time. And to know what to do is the secret of it all."

Louis Kahn, Architect (1901-1974)

(Continuing this post in Reply #1.)

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 12-31-2000).]

Replies:
posted 12-04-00 21:46 ET (US)     1 / 46  
(All information in this post is based on playing at Normal Difficulty.)

First of all, I’m going to need a lot of houses for 10,000 people. My plan is to build 9 housing blocks as follows:

Type of Housing# of HousesPopulation of Each HousePopulation of Block
Palatial Estates62001,200
Stately Manors101241,240
Stately Manors101241,240
Common Residences15801,200
Spacious Homesteads17681,156
Maximum Population10,748

Why 9 blocks instead of a few larger ones? Because for a 100% Culture Rating I’m going to need a lot of Entertainment, Religious and Education Facilities.

ENTERTAINMENT:

For each block the following table will show the number of Pavilions (Pav), Bandstands (Ban), Booths (Bth) and Senet Houses (SH) that I plan on building in each block. Also listed are the number of Dance Platforms (Dan), Music Stages (Mus) and Juggler Stages (Jug) that this will provide.

Type of HousingPavBanBthSHDanMusJug
Palatial Estates1111123
Stately Manors1111123
Stately Manors1111123
Common Residences1110123
Common Residences1110123
Common Residences1110123
Spacious Homesteads1110123
Spacious Homesteads1020113
Spacious Homesteads1020113
Totals9711391627

Will this be enough? Let’s check. The formula is Number of Venues * Capacity of Venue = Coverage (Maximum Population).

Senet Houses: 3 * 5000 = 15,000
Dance Platforms: 9 * 1200 = 10,800
Music Stages: 16 * 700 = 11,200
Juggler Stages: 27 * 400 = 10,800

For a population of 10,748 we are perfect.

For having a 100% entertainment rating in every venue, we will get a citywide bonus of 20 points (16 if you have Cleo installed). This means that only one Juggler needs to pass you houses in the Common Residence (w/o Cleo) and Spacious Homestead blocks to keep them from devolving. Also, the two Manor blocks and the Estate block will have 160 entertainment points with all of the venues working (and the bonus). Stately Manors only need 70 and Palatial Estates only need 90, so as long as you keep the Senet House furnished with beer (a requirement for both blocks) you can miss a few performances from the other venues and still be ok.

RELIGION:

Baki worships four of the five Gods in the game (one Patron and 3 Local).

While only one Temple is required in the Common Residence and Spacious Homestead blocks, I plan on placing 3 Temples in each of the nine blocks (for a total of 27). I will also build a Temple Complex to the Patron God, and 60 Shrines through out the city. (Shrines are great desirability buffers between the backs of worker housing and industries, so utilizing 60 of them will not be a waste.)

For the Patron God I will have 1 Temple Complex (Capacity=8,000) 3 Temples (C=375 each / 1,125 total) and 12 Shrines (C=150/1,800) for a total capacity of 10,925.

For each of the 3 Local Gods I will have 8 Temples (C=750/6,000) and 16 Shrines (C=300/4,800) for a total capacity of 10,800. Perfect again.

EDUCATION:

Each Palatial Estate, Stately Manor and Common Residence block will have 2 Libraries and 2 Scribe Schools. One Spacious Homestead block will have one of each, one will have only a Library and the other only a Scribe School. This will give me a total of 14 of each. Each Library has a capacity of 800, and 800 is also a safe number for Scribe Schools (which is actually based on the number of “children”, which I don’t think anyone knows how to calculate, with the ageing population an all). 14 * 800 = 11,200 (perfect).

A Spacious Homestead does not require a Scribe School or Library, so these don’t have to be supplied with Papyrus. Common Residences need one or the other. So long as one is getting a supply of Papyrus, you will be ok.

HEALTH CARE:

Health care is based on actually coverage, so each block will have a Physician, Dentist and Mortuary. This is just because one of my goals is 100% health care coverage.

PROSPERITY:

Prosperity is based on several things, but one thing is certain. Your Prosperity Rating cannot exceed the total prosperity level of your housing (which sets the Prosperity Cap). Nero Would covered how to check this in his post “Housing Data Table” so I won’t bore you with it here. Needless to say, if you are going for a high Prosperity Rating, you need to verify that the housing that you plan on building will support it. I did check, and the Prosperity Cap for the housing I plan on building is 431.

FINAL COMMENTS:

Why did I choose the blocks that I did?

The Palatial Estate block is for the Prosperity Rating (which I have more than enough of), but mainly because I love to build them. They are a challenge all in themselves. You could say that they are just another of my special Mission Goals.

The Stately Manor blocks are for the high population requirement, and for population control. If I have unemployment problems, then I will evolve them. If not, these blocks will probably stay at Fancy Residences. If this happens, I will upgrade the Common Residence blocks to make up for the population loss.

I stopped at Common Residence on 3 of the “worker” blocks because they don’t need a second food type and (especially) linen. I can’t grow flax in Baki, and imports are limited. It will take a lot of linen for all of the Mortuaries, and to keep the Manor and Estate blocks supplied. Also, these blocks have a lot of room to grow if I can’t evolve the Manors and need to increase my population.

I stopped the other 3 worker blocks at Spacious Homestead because they don’t need beer. Again, I can’t grow barley, and barley and beer imports are limited.

I expect the main challenge in this mission (according to the goals that I have set) will be created by the lack of raw materials (barley for beer, flax for linen and reeds for papyrus). It will take a long time (25 years just to import all the limestone needed for the monuments) to complete this mission, so the plan is to build slow and stockpile finished goods to be used in a big ratings rush near the end of the mission.

One last step required before I start the mission. I need to design the housing blocks that I just described. When I am done with them, I will post them here.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 08-16-2001 @ 01:56 PM).]

posted 12-04-00 22:00 ET (US)     2 / 46  
Loved reading your post Vitruvius, its just so good to see somebody else as obsessive about the planning as me .
posted 12-04-00 22:39 ET (US)     3 / 46  
VitruviusAIA,

If I'm not mistaken, senet house coverage (requiring beer) is required for palatial estates, even at Normal difficulty.

A question: did you decide that it was impossible to supply papyrus to all of the schools and libraries required for 100 Culture? We each have our personal "rules", and one of mine is to never have a school, library, mortuary, or senet house that I can't keep supplied.

posted 12-04-00 23:51 ET (US)     4 / 46  
Brugle,

A functioning Senet House is required for Stately Manors, Modest Estates and Palatial Estates at normal difficulty. I have already corrected the post. (Thanks for keeping an eye on me, I knew better.)

The papyrus shouldn’t be a problem. I plan to start stockpiling it as soon as possible in the mission. I can only buy 1500 reeds, but can import 7500 papyrus if things get tight.

I like your rule. I’m going to add it to my list (even though I think the requirement for Libraries and Scribe Schools is excessive in this game). To evolve my blocks in this city I only need 4 or 5 of each, but 14 are required for the Culture Rating.

Do you also require that all of your entertainment venues maintain steady performances? I haven’t been. (I think that the number of venues required is very, very excessive.)

posted 12-05-00 01:12 ET (US)     5 / 46  
VitruviusAIA,

Importing that much papyrus will be expensive, but you should have a lot of tax income.

Stately manors are possible at Hard difficulty without any senet houses (as in my Meidum, without Cleopatra). It appears that modest estates would be possible at Normal difficulty without being passed by senet players, as long as there was perfect city-wide coverage for all entertainment including senet houses.

120 is the maximum entertainment points, including city-wide bonus, without Cleopatra. There is no benefit to being passed by walkers from multiple venues of the same type.

Until recently, I was satisified (in both Caesar III and Pharaoh) if all entertainment venues had shows a significant fraction of the time. However, in my last few Caesar III cities (remakes of Lugdunum, Tarsus, and Lugdunum again), I made sure that all venues always had shows. It's possible that someday I'll try to do the same in Pharaoh, but maybe not (and I may drop the requirement in C3). After all, it's reasonable for a booth to close for a little while between juggling acts, but a senet house should never run out of beer!

posted 12-05-00 09:17 ET (US)     6 / 46  
Vitru,

Lovely post, almost take your breath away

However, pls. note with Cleo installed you are only able
to reach 70 in culture rating in Baki since no Zoo available.

posted 12-05-00 09:24 ET (US)     7 / 46  
Great explanation VitruviusAIA. Like Merepatra, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who plans in this kind of detail. I also go a step farther (maybe you do too) and plan the size of my industries and food production so that I can see how many employees I'll need and verify that I'll have about the right number of people in worker housing.
posted 12-05-00 13:06 ET (US)     8 / 46  
Brugle,

No money worries in Baki after the city is up and running. (Money is always tight in the beginning of a mission.) You can mine gold and gems, sell jewelry and copper. I will hold off on the copper export until I have a good-sized standing army for troop requests. Gems, clay, bricks, pottery and sandstone are also possible exports. With all this and tax income too, I should be rolling in debens by missions end.

What I meant to say (should have said) is that “the two Manor blocks and the Estate block will have access to venues which could produce 160 entertainment points (with the bonus)”. With a Senet House (+40) and the bonus (+20) I will have 60 of the 90 required for Palatial Estates. If the dance platform (+30) is operating, then I will be ok even if there are no performers at the other venues. If one of the two music stages (+20) and one of the three juggler stages (+10) are operating, then I would still be ok, even without the dance platform. The point was, there is a large safety factor built into the block when it comes to entertainment.

Like papyrus, you can import 2500 flax and buy 6500 linen if the situation gets desperate. It’s really the beer that I’m worried about. I need a lot of beer for the housing and for the 3 Senet Houses. You can only import 4000 barley and buy 1500 beer. I haven’t crunched the numbers yet, but it’s going to be close (yes Nero Would, I do this too – just haven’t got to it yet). And like I said, I plan on stockpiling beer, linen and papyrus for the end of the mission, so my import costs shouldn't be that great.

Nimlot Persson,

Knowing the changes that Cleo makes to Pharaoh, I decided on a “dual install”. I have one game on my system that is just Pharaoh. I did a second install of Pharaoh (in a different directory) and installed Cleo on that one. I don't have to worry about this problem.

Thanks to all for your comments.

posted 12-05-00 15:33 ET (US)     9 / 46  
Great post.

I have a (cruel) suggestion to nominate for the Brugle/VitruviusAIA list of ideal city conditions (many of which I share -- mine would probably consist of: all houses common res or better, no culture parks, all industry draws labor from blocks rather than isolated houses, all services supplied with necessary goods all the time)

...Namely, that a city be stable in hands-off running for a couple of years after it is completed.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 12-05-2000).]

posted 12-05-00 15:41 ET (US)     10 / 46  
VitruviusAIA:

Excellent post and very entertaining reading. I'm one of those who just "wing it" but I'm looking forward to your future posts.

Would love to see the progression of your city in the downloads.

Good gaming,
Vriesea

posted 12-05-00 15:47 ET (US)     11 / 46  
Hi Vitruvius,

I,m already on my third ring binder it just about says it all.

BTW after I used a near perfect match on your housing blocks, I've just posted my highest ever score. It may take a while but Rocky's getting there. Im playing the whole lot again...Pharaoh & Cleo on Normal, just finished Meidum, phew is there a longer scenario?

I may suggest something on the Competition forum about a monthly mission and a subsequent league table, problem is organisation & volunteers....If I can help i will
anybody care to comment?

The master of making easy look hard ---- What's wrong with Scooby Doo boxers?
Cockfosters visitor via a stunt cannon ---- Fan of the Great Cornholio Tee shirt dance
Coyote ugly beauty, parrott mangler & all round good egg ---- Have leather pants will travel
posted 12-08-00 17:55 ET (US)     12 / 46  
Brugle,

You asked me earlier “did you decide that it was impossible to supply papyrus to all of the schools and libraries required for 100 Culture?” I speculated that with being able to import 1500 reeds and 7500 papyrus there shouldn’t be any problem, other than being able to afford it. I have since “crunched the numbers”, and here is what I discovered.

If I am able to execute the plan I have laid out, I will have 14 scribe schools in the city which consume 10 papyrus per month. There will be 14 libraries consuming 20 papyrus per month. This gives me a total of 420 per month, or 5040 per year. Plus, I will need an additional 7000 papyrus to place the libraries (14 @ 500 each). So the answer is “yes”, it can be done.

I also looked at beer and linen. Since consumption is calculated on a per-house bases (as opposed to population) it will be very important that all houses evolve as 2x2 structures. The following numbers are based on the assumption that I am able to do this, and I don’t see any reason that would prevent me from being able to do so.

Fully evolved as 2x2 structures, I would have 71 houses consuming 2 beer per month. There would also be 3 Senet Houses which will consume between 15 and 20 beer per month each. Total beer consumption would be between 187 and 202 per month, or 2244-2424 per year. I am able to import 2500 barley and 1500 beer.

There will be 26 houses consuming 2 linen per month, and 9 mortuaries consuming 20 per month (each). Monthly consumption of linen will be 232, or 2784 per year. Plus another 3200 linen will be required for burial goods. Imports available are 2500 flax and 6500 linen.

These numbers will only be required near the end of the mission, when all the housing has evolved to it highest planed stage, and all support structures are in place. Hopefully, this will happen right before my last pyramid nears completion, and all other requirements have been met. If I have calculated correctly, and if I maximize my exports and import all the goods necessary to maintain the city, my imports will exceed my exports by approximately 4000 debens per year. (This includes importing a few extra goods in addition to what would be required if distribution was “perfect” and every imported good was going directly to where it was required. We all know that that’s not going to happen.) This deficiency is compounded by the fact that I will have to import the second type of luxury good to evolve the estates. While this will not cost anything (setting import to zero), I will no longer be able to export jewelry at this time, and will have to go to exporting gems instead (which is much less profitable).

With gold mining and taxes, there will be no problem paying for all this. However, your prosperity rating is adversely affected when your imports exceed your exports. I expect that my prosperity will be so high at this point, that this will be of no consequence. Also, my plan is to import the maximum number of raw materials early in the mission, and stockpile the surplus finished goods for use when the time comes. Maybe this way, I can avoid the import exceeding export problem altogether.

A final comment: One other thing that I will have in my favor is that Path is worshiped in this city. I plan on keeping him very, very happy. I have not included blessings from Path in any of these calculations, although I am sure to receive them on a regular basis.

This weekend I plan on posting the housing blocks that I am planning on using. Then maybe I can start playing the game instead of just playing with it. I will admit that planning the mission is as much fun for me as the actual playing of it.

posted 12-08-00 21:20 ET (US)     13 / 46  
VitruviusAIA,

It sounds like you've worked it out, assuming that schools and libraries send out walkers once/month. With that assumption, it wouldn't be possible at Hard difficulty (where I play) without stockpiling.

Having a negative trade balance affects only the rate at which Prosperity rises, not the "cap". Unless you're trying to raise Prosperity very rapidly near the end, it shouldn't be a factor.

I know what you mean about playing with the game. I've been planning a try at Hammanat (from the Pharaolympics) for a month.

posted 12-10-00 23:10 ET (US)     14 / 46  
Spacious Homestead Block #3

GardenGardenGardenGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenCourthouseSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadTax_CollectorGardenGarden
GardenGardenGarden
Storage_YardGardenSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
GardenTemplePhysicianTempleLibraryFire_WardenDentistJuggler_PlatformSmall_Statue
GardenShrineMedium_StatueSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
Storage_YardGardenMortuaryGardenSmall_Statue
GardenDance_PlatformMusic_PlatformGardenTempleGardenGardenGardenSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
Fire_WardenVitruviusAIA-ArchitectGardenBazaarShrineWater_SupplyShrineSmall_Statue
RoadblockRoadblockApothecaryVitruviusAIA-ArchitectGardenJuggler_PlatformSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
GranaryRoadblockGardenJuggler_PlatformGardenGardenSmall_Statue
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenGardenGarden

The road tiles in the inner loop do not require plazas (for desirability). The small statues may be replaced by gardens if you prefer their appearance.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 12-11-2000).]

posted 12-10-00 23:12 ET (US)     15 / 46  
Spacious Homestead Block #2

GardenGardenGardenGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenCourthouseSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadTax_CollectorGardenGarden
GardenGardenGarden
GardenTemplePhysicianTempleLarge_StatueFire_WardenDentistJuggler_PlatformSmall_Statue
GardenShrineScribe_SchoolSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
GardenDance_PlatformMusic_PlatformGardenTempleGardenGardenGardenSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
Fire_WardenVitruviusAIA-ArchitectGardenBazaarShrineWater_SupplyShrineSmall_Statue
RoadblockRoadblockApothecaryVitruviusAIA-ArchitectGardenJuggler_PlatformSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueSmall_StatueGardenGardenGarden

The road tiles in the inner loop do not require plazas (for desirability). The small statues may be replaced by gardens if you prefer their appearance.

posted 12-10-00 23:13 ET (US)     16 / 46  
Spacious Homestead Block #1

GardenGardenGarden
GardenTemplePhysicianTempleLibraryFire_WardenDentistJuggler_PlatformSmall_Statue
GardenShrineMusic_PlatformSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
GardenDance_PlatformMusic_PlatformGardenTempleGardenGardenGardenJuggler_PlatformGardenSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
Fire_WardenVitruviusAIA-ArchitectGardenBazaarShrineWater_SupplyShrineSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
RoadblockRoadblockApothecaryVitruviusAIA-ArchitectSpacious_HomesteadSmall_Statue
GardenGardenGardenScribe_SchoolSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadSpacious_HomesteadGardenGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden

posted 12-10-00 23:17 ET (US)     17 / 46  
Common Residence Blocks (3 required)

GardenCourthouseCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceTax_CollectorGardenGarden
GardenGardenGarden
Storage_YardGardenScribe_SchoolGarden
GardenTemplePhysicianTempleLibraryFire_WardenDentistJuggler_PlatformGarden
GardenShrineMusic_PlatformCommon_ResidenceSmall_Statue
GardenDance_PlatformMusic_PlatformLibraryTempleGardenJuggler_PlatformGardenCommon_ResidenceSmall_Statue
Fire_WardenVitruviusAIA-ArchitectGardenBazaarWater_SupplyVitruviusAIA-ArchitectSmall_Statue
RoadblockRoadblockApothecaryCommon_ResidenceSmall_Statue
GardenGardenGardenGardenCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceCommon_ResidenceScribe_SchoolGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden

All road tiles in the inner loop require plazas (for desirability).

posted 12-10-00 23:18 ET (US)     18 / 46  
Stately Manor Block #2

Medium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_Statue
Stately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorGarden
GardenMedium_StatueTax_CollectorTemple
Fire_WardenGarden
VitruviusAIA-ArchitectShrineMortuary
Storage_YardShrineCourthouseLibrarySenet_HouseVitruviusAIA-ArchitectApothecaryDentistFire_WardenJuggler_PlatformTemple
ShrineBazaarDynasty_Mansion
GranaryShrine
Storage_YardGardenDance_PlatformJuggler_PlatformGardenGardenLibraryMusic_Platform
GardenGardenPhysicianScribe_SchoolScribe_School
GardenMusic_PlatformGardenGardenJuggler_Platform
RoadblockRoadblockTemple
GranaryStorage_YardMedium_StatueBazaarWater_SupplyStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_Manor
GardenGardenGardenLarge_StatueGarden
GardenGardenGardenMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_Statue
GardenGardenGarden

posted 12-10-00 23:19 ET (US)     19 / 46  
Stately Manor Block #1

Medium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_StatueMedium_Statue
CourthouseGardenGardenStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorGarden
Tax_CollectorTemple
Mortuary
Juggler_PlatformFire_WardenDentistLibrarySenet_HouseCity_PalaceTemple
BazaarApothecaryMedium_Statue
VitruviusAIA-Architect
Storage_YardStorage_YardDance_PlatformJuggler_PlatformGardenGardenLibraryMusic_Platform
GardenPhysicianScribe_SchoolScribe_SchoolRoadblock
Fire_WardenVitruviusAIA-ArchitectMusic_PlatformGardenGardenJuggler_Platform
RoadblockRoadblockTemple
GranaryGranaryMedium_StatueBazaarWater_SupplyStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_ManorStately_Manor
Garden

Note: The "back door" through the bandstand is for deliveries from gold mines to the City Palace. This layout is consistant with the city that I have planed for this mission.

posted 12-10-00 23:20 ET (US)     20 / 46  
Palatial Estate Block

Large_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_StatueLarge_Statue
Large_StatueGardenPalatial_EstateGardenPalatial_EstateGardenPalatial_EstateGardenPalatial_EstateGardenLarge_Statue
GardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
Small_StatueShrineShrineShrineSmall_Statue
Large_StatueGardenGardenSmall_StatueShrineShrineShrineSmall_StatueGardenGardenLarge_Statue
Palatial_EstatePalatial_Estate
LibraryTempleTempleScribe_SchoolCourthouseJuggler_Platform
Large_StatueDentistLarge_Statue
GardenGardenApothecary
GardenGardenShrineShrineShrineBazaarTax_CollectorWater_SupplyPhysicianMortuaryShrineShrineShrineMusic_PlatformJuggler_PlatformShrineGardenGarden
GardenGardenGardenSmall_StatueMusic_PlatformGardenShrineFire_WardenVitruviusAIA-ArchitectShrineGardenSmall_StatueGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
RoadblockRoadblock
Dance_PlatformJuggler_PlatformShrineBazaarLibrarySenet_HouseScribe_SchoolBazaarTemple
GardenShrine

posted 12-10-00 23:38 ET (US)     21 / 46  
Hi VitruviusAIA,

please excuse my intrution in your post, but just being curious. I'm just starting Abedju (which I still consider 'tutorial')and was wondering, when do you have to start planning your cities in such detail ( which city did you start with?)

btw, love your posts

[This message has been edited by C Franziskus (edited 12-10-2000).]

posted 12-11-00 00:59 ET (US)     22 / 46  
As promised, here are the housing blocks that I plan on using for Baki. They consist of one Palatial Estate Block, two Stately Manor Blocks, three Common Residence Blocks (all identical) and three Spacious Homestead Blocks.

General Comments:

I have developed these housing blocks specifically for my attempt at Baki. There are several special mission requirements that I have set for this mission. These blocks have been designed to meet my mission requirements, and may not be appropriate for “general” housing blocks. These blocks generally have an excess of religious, entertainment, education and health structures (more than are required for the housing to evolve to the level indicated).

I have made no attempt to display which temples will be built in each block. Temples will be built in the order necessary to keep the Gods appeased. The important thing to remember is that when all blocks are laid out, the totals need to be as follows: Ra (3) plus Temple Complex, Osiris (8), Path (8) and Seth (8). Bast is not worshiped in this city.

All nine housing blocks combined show a total of 30 shrines. 60 shrines will be required for a perfect rating in religion. The totals need to be as follows: Ra (12), Osiris (16), Path (16) and Seth (16). Shrines are excellent desirability shields between industries and housing. Use them accordingly. (The chart on “Non-Housing Structures” that I referred you to shows a “Risk of Damage” for shrines as “0”. This is not correct. Shrines need coverage provided by an Architect, or they will collapse. Therefore, they need to be placed within two tiles of a road.)

I have given all structures in these blocks “tags”. Pause your cursor over a structure for a couple of seconds, and the description will pop-up.

The planning stage is over: Let The Games Begin.

posted 12-11-00 13:13 ET (US)     23 / 46  
C Franziskus

To answer your question “When do you have to start planning your cities in such detail?” The answer is “Never”. Pharaoh is a wonderfully complicated game. To “master” the game, this kind of detail may be necessary. To complete the missions with the original requirements, this kind of detail is not required.

I do this because I enjoy doing this. The planning of a mission is as much fun for me as actually playing it, maybe even more fun. This has a lot to do with my personality, and the fact that professionally (in the “real” world) I’m an Architect. I work and play the same way. I analyze a problem in great detail before I attempt a solution. This is true for a new project at work, or a new mission in Pharaoh.

“Which city did you start with?” I’m really fairly new at this game. I still have Baki and Hetepsenusret to go before I complete my first attempt at Pharaoh. I haven’t even tried one of the Cleo missions yet. The first city that I really “planned” this way was Bubastis. I was very pleased with Bubastis, and then Sauty, and both are in the “downloads” section of these forums. Both of these cities have “perfect” scores and 100% ratings in all categories, but they are actually and embarrassment to me now because I have learned so much more since I completed them.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that Pharaoh is the kind of game that allows this kind of planning and detail if you want to get this deep into it. But Pharaoh is not a game that requires this kind of detail to be able to complete the missions. If you enjoy this kind of micromanagement, then jump right in. If you find that this is just too tedious and time consuming, then just skip it and play the game.

posted 12-11-00 15:18 ET (US)     24 / 46  
LoL - VitruviusAIA- sure you are an architect and not a laywer ? - such an essay and no b&w answer .

The reason for my question was pretty simple, really. I have been applying the 'efficient' buiding practices to the early missions (Men-nefer, Timna) and ended up struggling with 30 - 50 % unemployment! I have completed C3 & Zeus, and decided I'll give Pharaoh another go around . (Gave up the first time.) Haven't touched Cleo either.

My goal now is to go through the 'peaceful' missions and build them as I imagine it could have been back then - pity that you are about 15 missions ahead, I'll try to catch up as good as I can though.

posted 12-11-00 15:37 ET (US)     25 / 46  
VitruviusAIA:

Sitting back and enjoying your posts

In your latest posting of Spacious Homestead Blocks I notice that your have reduced your population requirements. You initally indicated 17 stately manors per block and it looks like now you have reduced that to 16. This still gives you the population you require (10,544) so your culture rating of 100% will not be affected.

One thought on your Spacious Homestead block configurations.

If you reposition the outer temple and courthouse, presently on the upper left side, to the inside of the concentric loop (easy since both have an edge length of 6 squares) this will give you room for 5 more stately manors (or only the 17th) or several miscellaneous venues. I realize based on your initial calculations you don't require the extra housing or venues, but it seems like your block is somewhat inflexible for any future changes.

But maybe creating a city where eveything just fits is the challenge of this thread

From one who "wings it", keep up the good postings.
Vriesea

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Baki-Balancing Housing Blocks and Ratings
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames