You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How did i Abu this before?
posted 01-30-01 16:22 ET (US)   
Playing Abu again. Decided to go with Gems and Jewelry as first exports as they are quick starters. Got the ferries all manned and a disconnected dock on the sw bank of the middle island. 4 Sys at the dock area are set to GET (2 on gems, 2 on Lux). The cartpushers leave the sy and cross the ferry to the production site. Gather the materials, then when they get to the ferry, they turn around and dump their goods the same place they just took them from. I have full sy's of both gems and lux good on the far west landmass and can't seem to get them across the river.

All the ferry landings have full employment (5), i even have a little unemployment citywide at this point as i just got the first harvest in to feed my people. Nothing is stockpiled. I've never seen this before and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problems.

Needless to say, i'll have to replay due to the debt from not being able to export the goods i have. But i like the way i have it set up and would hate to have to change anything to compensate for the guys being afraid to take the ferry to get to the other side.

As soon as i get WSFTP to connect to my website, i'll post a link to the zipped sav. rt click - save target as

A Tale in the Desert
Flogging will continue until morale improves.

[This message has been edited by homegrown (edited 01-30-2001).]

Replies:
posted 01-30-01 18:27 ET (US)     1 / 7  
homegrown,

I downloaded your save and found the problem.

You will have to move the ferry by the mines one square to the southeast. Although the square will light up green where you placed it, it is not a valid location. The ferry must be directly southwest of the 2 darker blue (deep water) squares.

I had to use the “Treasure Chest” cheat to have money to delete and relocate the ferry, but after I did, everything worked fine. Try it.

(I also had to delete the physician to get road access to the new ferry location.)

I had to look up how to cheat. I had never used one before and didn’t have a clue on how to do it. heehee

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 01-30-2001).]

posted 01-30-01 20:36 ET (US)     2 / 7  
Well isn't that weird? I had deleted-undone both sides but hadn't moved it because as you said, it kept lighting up green, and moving it entails rebuilding that little area. Thanks for the quick help!

*Newbie Note* Save Often. It's a good habit to get into. And one i'm terrible at except in competition where progressives are required.

A Tale in the Desert
Flogging will continue until morale improves.
posted 01-31-01 13:32 ET (US)     3 / 7  
It was very weird that the game allowed you to place a ferry where it wouldn’t work. (I have noticed the same situation with fishing wharfs.) The really weird part was that the ferry “half worked”. The getting cart pushers from the storage yards could make it across the ferry because they traveled on the “right” side. (They left the ferry from the south corner and traveled to the east corner of the other ferry. This path took them through the “deep” water.) The cart pushers trying to return to the storage yards were attempting to leave from the north corner and travel to the west corner of the mainland ferry. This path took them into the “shallow” water, so they couldn’t return.

This is something for me to remember when I give advice to others in the future. If it hadn’t been homegrown that was having the problem, I would have assumed that the person asking the question had done something “wrong”. By this I mean that I would have assumed that the problem was related to labor, layout, the settings of the storage yards or something like that. homegrown had done everything “right”, and it was just a “bug” in this map at this one particular location. Without actually looking at the saved game, I would never have been able to come up with a solution.

posted 11-11-01 17:49 ET (US)     4 / 7  
I decided to play Abu, as it is a challenge to perform well and fast. I checked that my ferry works... Thanks gor the post about it.
posted 11-11-01 22:16 ET (US)     5 / 7  
Abu was a very nice surprise. The unexpected extreme droughts made me mad (fertility down to 3% along the Nile!). I managed to win it in 8 years with a 11,000 score, but will try it again knowing that I have to get Osiris blessings as soon as possible, so that I can store food and go beyond the 4,000 population limit. I still bet on 8 years.

[This message has been edited by Tryhard (edited 11-11-2001 @ 10:18 PM).]

posted 11-12-01 13:18 ET (US)     6 / 7  
Second and good try for a pretty Abu. Definitely a nice challenge. Won in less than 7 years at V.Hard, one extra year awarded for stabilizing the city.
Pop 5000; 18 common manors; Prosperity at 100, Treasury >30,000; Exports>15000.
Difference with the first try is that I managed to bypass the first financial Year, then a dive down to –5,000 the second Year, investing as much as possible in exporting industries.
First three years and final game are uploaded.
posted 03-15-04 06:30 ET (US)     7 / 7  
Retrieving an old thread praising my lamentable performance...

I am now looking for games I played long ago, including some of the early missions. After Behdet for which I had no trace left from the past, I had a look at Abedju and Abu. I made Abedju last year and am a bit surprised by the low score: some 20,000. Unfortunately, due to our network limits here, I could not download my own file.

So I looked at my own Abu, 3 years old. I was satisfied with a decent performance, however this ‘pretty Abu’ suffers several drawbacks I can now correct. Comparing the two files can help recent players to improve drastically a game which looked –but apparently only- good enough.

The classic features were therefore revised:
-housing blocks and entertainment, food
-industrial blocks, exports and trade, money earning
-specificities of Abu

As in Behdet, my first strategy is to get overindebted to see my Kingdom rating decrease and ensure that I would not win by accident.

HOUSING BLOCK and ENTERTAINMENT
In the old version, the blocks are not perfectly stable: the entertainers may miss one side of a block from time to time, what is proven by the existence of 4 music schools spread anywhere. It shows an empirical extension of the city.
In the new version, after some mapping trials, I eventually decided to orientate the blocks from SW to NE, and one music and dance schools do the job perfectly for 4 pavilions.

In the new version, I wanted to set my longest stable block of manors: 20x9 tiles (roads excluded). I miss the mortuary, the library and the senet, but am allowed the magistrate and dentist, so know that I can develop common manors.
I set the houses supposed to become manors first. They are separated with a blank tile, so that I can force them to evolve into 2x2 buildings and not erratic 1x1 houses.
Afdter, when I am ready for manors, I set the workers’ housing block, also separating the houses with 2 empty tiles. When these houses have evolved to residence status, once they are subject to education, I set the new ones in the vacant places.

It seemed to me that I had packed my first city, with 5,000 inhabitants. Nonetheless, my new Abu contains without much effort 7,500 people of whom 3,100 live in 31 manors.
There is a potential accident with the southern most manor; for 5 years, the Osiris priest missed it, then he did properly for 5 years. In fact, I should have remembered that: the 20 long block is the limit I can reach. Otherwise, both blocks never faced any accident of any kind.

Food: I decided to concentrate only on grain (because I need the straw) and peas, because they are imported. I would reveal a bit short of peas, I can import the 2,500 from Men-Nefer. Contrarily to my first version, I religiously ignored lettuce (Men-Nefer has much better to buy) and fish.

INDUSTRIAL BLOCK
Abu is for this quite interesting because everything has to be centralised. Two cities trade by road (Timna and Abydos), two by sea (Men-Nefer and Behdet).
- the reeds are sold by sea (Behdet) but papyrus is bought by all caravans.
- one city buys linen by road, one by sea. Same with beer. And same quantities.
- one city sells clay by road, one by sea.
The exports in my first city were horrible: 500 debens on the first year (4,500 in the second version); then 7,000 (14,500), then 14,500 (17,500). After its stabilises around 15,000 against 25,000+ in the new version.

The reeds are immediately dispatched to the neighbouring factories but the papyrus is delivered near the entry point. The caravans move fast enough to make the necessary trips for buying and selling whatever wished as long as every trip is not too long, especially for Timna. Same for the ships, as I need the clay and reeds to be delivered (4 boat trips per year). The pottery and brick industries are so close to the docks, as the papyrus factories.
Similarly, the beer and linen industries are on the continent as they require much space, while their delivery storage yards (SY) are on the islands.
I am a bit surprised by the opening of Selima Oasis which buys everything and have to add extra industries. My ferry gets a bit jammed but the ferry trip is short, so transfers are acceptably quick.
I rarely sell luxuries as it disturbs my trade system but eventually sell granite when Abydos does not have enough papyrus to keep occupied. I also eventually sell sandstone, but the more valuable granite SY is closer to the Kingdom road and sandstone is bought only when there is a shortage of granite.
I start the game with one dock, but must quickly add a second one to fasten the rotation of the ships.

SPECIFICITIES of ABU
In the new version, I ignore the Temple Complex for Ptah. I make enough bricks for sale, altogether with the other items. I neither especially need Ptah’s blessings.
The crocodile is interesting. However fenced, it tends from time to time to go along a long wall to eat walkers. Two, at max. three policemen kill the nasty wanderer.
You are never told, in Abu, whenever the flooding will be good or not. It is rather good anyway and an statistical mix of minor and major blessings are enough to feed both the beer and linen industries and the people, especially when ignoring the lettuce farms.
I could have got a much better Kingdom rating (100) as I had been for long below the required Culture rating of 35, but I noticed too late.
I never bothered to set any military: when you start the mission, its description says ‘no military activity’, what means not even a single troop request.

Conclusion:
Mission completed in 10 years (but, as said before, it is voluntarily delayed, so meaningless)
Population: 7,500
Treasury 200,000 (+60,000 per year)
PR 100, KR 53, CR 35 (max without mortuary)
Score: 93,000 (105,000 with one more year at 100% speed without touching anything).

Abu is a very interesting mission.

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » How did i Abu this before?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames